ADVERTISEMENT

Looking ahead for Duke and UNC....

I wouldnt call it "dumb," because I would tend to agree w/the writer about there's "no one close to caliber " of Zion or R.J. coming in. PG as noted is also a big question mark per the decision for Tre.

OFC

Unfortunately there is some truth to the article. Duke will be relying on some Jrs and Srs that have not had a lot of positive play and moments since being at Duke. They have been spectating a hell of a lot of 1st round OAD talent the last two or three years. Coach knows he missed his best chance this year and next year will be a lot of highs and lows. This team was stupid talented. Next year will be nowhere close to this team.

Next year will be what many on here have been wanting. A team of Jr's and Sr's that have developed in their time at Duke mixed in with a few OAD's.

Next year will be extremely rough but with that being said I won’t miss a game. Always duke
Maybe. If Jones comes back they'll be good. If Jones leaves and Hampton reclassifies they'll probably be good. I honestly didn't think Duke was going to be that good this year going into the season. The KY game quickly changed my tune.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I said to a lot of people last night, Iove Duke and always will, but i see a downward trend coming compared to the last few years.

Reactions: Mullin5756
Next year will be what many on here have been wanting. A team of Jr's and Sr's that have developed in their time at Duke mixed in with a few OAD's.
Only one problem with that statement our Jrs and Srs have no valuable PT. They been watching as much as we have just better seats

Duke will be, at worst, a top 10 to 15 team next season....and that’s based on what we know now. Add a few recruits and I’d be confident we solidify ourselves in the top 10. So, yes, we’ll be down a bit from what we’re used to.

Exactly. But that’s a far cry from dark days lol over the top article

Only one problem with that statement our Jrs and Srs have no valuable PT. They been watching as much as we have just better seats[/QUOTE

Really?
Bolden played in 35 games averaging 19 minutes per game and was a starter much of the year.
DeLaurier played in all 38 games averaging 16 minutes per game and was a starter when Bolden was not.
White played in 35 games averaging 20 minutes per game.
O'Connell played in 36 games averaging 14 minutes per game
Goldwire played in 35 games averaging 8 minutes per game.

All of them had high quality games at various points against ACC and postseason opponents. All of them had their games where they were key reasons the team won. I'd say that is pretty valuable experience. It may not feel like it as a fan because none of them made that big jump to being consistently good/great and averaging double digit scoring but that's what next year could be for them.

It is 100% false that they were sitting on the bench most of the year, that is a myth on this board that needs to die.

Simple fact was the talent wasn't enough to make up for very real holes. Foul shooting, 3pt shooting. Against most teams, we win anyway. Not against a really good team capable of exploiting our weaknesses and executing that plan. Tre, Cam,Alex, or Jack could have blown up that plan. They did not. Javin almost did. Zion almost did in spite of the plan designed to limit him. As talented as Zion is, he is 6'7", not 7'6".

I expect a lot from Alex, Jack, Javin, Bolden, and Jordan. If we get good results from them, we will be very good. If we dont????? No different than 95% of all other teams next year.

I expect a lot from Alex, Jack, Javin, Bolden, and Jordan. If we get good results from them, we will be very good. If we dont????? No different than 95% of all other teams next year.

A lot from that group? Wow

Unless K is entering the draft I think we will be fine. No it's not going to be like the past few years as far as elite talent. It will be different, but we will still be Duke.

Reactions: hart2chesson
If Tre comes back, we are going to be very good. He will improve markedly, be the unquestioned leader on the team, first team all ACC, ACCDPOY, and will be a great tandem with Carey while Joey and Alex wait on the wings and rain threes.

If Tre leaves, it’s going to be a bit of a rocky season. Although with two 3 seeds and a 5 seed in the final four, no reason why we can’t make it that far next year,

Reactions: Leo2Wes
If Tre comes back, we are going to be very good. He will improve markedly, be the unquestioned leader on the team, first team all ACC, ACCDPOY, and will be a great tandem with Carey while Joey and Alex wait on the wings and rain threes.

If Tre leaves, it’s going to be a bit of a rocky season. Although with two 3 seeds and a 5 seed in the final four, no reason why we can’t make it that far next year,
I agree that Tre makes us better if he decides to stay. I think he leaves, but would love to be wrong.
Even if he goes pro, it’s way too early to guess how good we will be. The adjustment for everyone is going to be life without Zion.

The main thing I would like to see is improvement as the season progresses.

Reactions: Leo2Wes

I see so many people saying confidently that we’ll suck next years and it’ll be rough. We may but there is too much still in play to say that. Tre could stay. Kira Lewis could transfer. Other possible grad transfers. Matthew hurt. Trendon watford. Rj Hampton possibly reclassifying. Now obviously all of that’s not gonna happen but i can almost guarantee at least 3 of those things will happen. And with that we might not have the firepower we had this year but we may be a better built team with more leadership and depth(if coach k uses it of course). I don’t really see the whole “it’s for sure gonna be rough next year” yet. I think a lot of people just see the fact that we’re losing Zion and Rj and we don’t have any players coming in on that level and think we’re screwed. We may but let’s see how it all plays out first

100% Gone:
Zion, RJ, Cam

50-50:
Tre Jones
Marques Bolden

Probably Returning:
Javin DeLaurier, Sr
Jack White, Sr
Alex O'Connell, Jr
Jordan Goldwire, Jr
Joey Baker, So

Incoming Freshmen:
Vernon Carey
Wendell Moore
Boogie Ellis

Other possible signees:
Matthew Hurt
Trendon Watford
RJ Hampton (re-classify, perhaps)

I wouldn't normally think of someone like Bolden leaving, but Carey is going to relegate him to bench minutes. Javin can probably play the 4 occasionally, but I think Matthew Hurt would be the ideal 4. The way I see it, we're actually not going to be over reliant on upperclassmen at all. I'm going to guess Tre comes back, Bolden goes pro (as he may be aware that minutes will be few and far between), and we sign Hurt. In this scenario, I'm pretty confident we could pencil in 4 guys as starters:

Tre Jones, So
Wendell Moore, Fr
Matthew Hurt, Fr
Vernon Carey, Fr

The final starting position would be between AOC, Baker, White, and Ellis.

Reactions: GillJET
I know a lot of people have said bolden might leave but where would he go?

Duke will be, at worst, a top 10 to 15 team next season....and that’s based on what we know now. Add a few recruits and I’d be confident we solidify ourselves in the top 10. So, yes, we’ll be down a bit from what we’re used to.

This, but for real, would it be that bad to watch a Duke team use 7-8 guys to score 80 points a game. The last few years have been so dependent on 1-2 guys and the other guys defer to the same guys. I would love to watch a team that spreads the ball and develops as a unit. Might be just me, but I would welcome a team with 1 guy over 15 ppg and a few in the 10-15 range.

Also, I'm kind of excited about the prospect of having multiple quality shooters on the court. Here are some 3-point percentages to consider:

Alex O'Connell: 41.6% career 3-point shooter at Duke (52 for 125)
Joey Baker: 40% (26 for 65 his senior year of HS)

Matthew Hurt: 48.3% (14 for 29 in 11 EYBL Games... couldn't find his HS Stats)
Boogie Ellis: 45.8% (66 for 144 in 23 EYBL Games... same situation as Hurt)
Wendell Moore: 36.2% (55 for 152)
Trendon Watford: 35% (29 for 83)

I really, really want Matthew Hurt. If we get him, I say we're a top 10 team. If not, it could be comparable to the 2016 season.

Sad day when people are leaving early for the g league

Well if his minutes will get cut why not leave a year early and make extra money? Its not like he is gonna get any better than he already is...and right now he is average at best...and that may be a stretch

Well if his minutes will get cut why not leave a year early and make extra money? Its not like he is gonna get any better than he already is...and right now he is average at best...and that may be a stretch

I like him a lot I guess that’s why idk he should do what he feels necessary

I think Bolden has a really good relationship with Nate. I’d be surprised if he left. Barring an injury, his stock can only get better coming back.

I think Bolden has a really good relationship with Nate. I’d be surprised if he left. Barring an injury, his stock can only get better coming back.

But sad thing is his stock won't go up....mainly because he will be 22-23 yrs old once season is over next year and nba don't draft that she person very often unless they are special in college...and he is far from special

A lot from that group? Wow

I expect a lot from them in a secondary role. If we got from half of them this year what I expect we get next year, we would be cutting down the nets next weekend. This group with what we have coming in and maybe one more should be very good.

I expect a lot from them in a secondary role. If we got from half of them this year what I expect we get next year, we would be cutting down the nets next weekend. This group with what we have coming in and maybe one more should be very good.

Ok if you say so...I just don't see much out of that group but garbage time minutes

This, but for real, would it be that bad to watch a Duke team use 7-8 guys to score 80 points a game. The last few years have been so dependent on 1-2 guys and the other guys defer to the same guys. I would love to watch a team that spreads the ball and develops as a unit. Might be just me, but I would welcome a team with 1 guy over 15 ppg and a few in the 10-15 range.

What are you talking about? Both the 2018 and 2017 teams had 5 players averaging double digit scoring

Bagley 21
Allen 15.5
Trent 14.5
Carter 13.5
Duval 10.3

Kennard 19.5
Tatum 18.8
Allen 14.5
Jackson 10.9
Jefferson 10.9

I think we could see similar balanced scoring next year, especially if Jones returns.

What are you talking about? Both the 2018 and 2017 teams had 5 players averaging double digit scoring

Bagley 21
Allen 15.5
Trent 14.5
Carter 13.5
Duval 10.3

Kennard 19.5
Tatum 18.8
Allen 14.5
Jackson 10.9
Jefferson 10.9

I think we could see similar balanced scoring next year, especially if Jones returns.
And those numbers add up to a lot which means we had little to no bench scoring. I think our problem is how we never have a consistent bench to go to

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT