ADVERTISEMENT

Little game while I was bored - who would you pick?

Feb 23, 2007
Bored at work so I decided to do a fantasy draft of all the Duke players since 2000 (next year rookie not included and transfers who played somewhere else excluded). Player skills as they were at their best while they were at Duke. Zoubek is Sr. year Zoubek, Irving is Freshman Irving, Ingram is this year's Ingram...

Who would you pick to win?

Team Laettner
5 - Boozer
4 - Kelly
3 - Singler
2 - Redick
1 - Cook
6 - Paulus
7 - Zoubek
8 - Dawkins

Team Hurley
5 - Miles Plumlee
4 - Deng
3 - Parker
2 - Curry
1 - Jay Williams
6 - Danthay Jones
7 - Marshall Plumlee
8 - Deryck Thornton

Team Heyman

5 - Mason Plumlee
4 - Battier
3 - Nelson
2 - Scheyer
1 - Duhon
6 - Lance Thomas
7 - Dockery
8 - MccLure

Team Hill

5 - Sheldon Williams
4 - Winslow
3 - Hood
2 - Allen
1 - Nolan Smith
6 - Amile Jefferson
7 - Daniel Ewing
8 - Reggie Love

Team Dawkins
5 - Okafor
4 - Magette
3 - Dunleavy
2 - Henderson
1 - Tyus jones

6 - Randolph
7 - Kennard
8 - Tyler Thornton

Team Ferry
5 - McRoberts
4 - Brand
3 - Ingram
2 - Langdon
1 - Irving

6 - Rivers
7 - Nate James
8 - Matt Jones

Jeez, that's a tough one. Team Hurley is all O. What an interesting question... My Duke love is fighting itself.:eek:

Team Hill with Team Ferry in an extremely close second.

Brand, Langdon, and Maggette last played in '99 (what, no Avery?). If 2000 was the important cut-off, I guess I'd recommend moving Zoub, Shav, or Marshall into a starting 5 role (Brand was a college 5; McRoberts played one season as our 4) and add Casey Sanders as a post reserve. Chris Carrawell could replace Maggette, but he should be included regardless. Otherwise I'd drop Reggie Love since he was actually a walk-on football player. Lee Melchionni and Marty Pocius are the best omitted players I can think of to replace Langdon, and you might shuffle Ewing or Nate into a starting role if you need a 2.

(I'd also specify A Dawkins b/c regardless of year, "Dawkins" means Johnny, and there is no such player as Sheldon Williams... Also, you could drive better. lol)

Without any changes, these are well balanced and competitive. I have to start by eliminating teams and whittling it down that way. A couple of you have picked Team Hill, which was one of my first cuts, which goes to show you how competitive they'd all be. I cut them early b/c Nolan is the least PGy of all the PGs, Rodney lacked some nerves, and Grayson can be erratic. (Their 5 is also a nonexistent person, so... :p) Team Hurley has too little defense, so they're out.

I'm leaning Team Heyman or Team Laettner. The Singler-Kelly-JJ cream filling on Team Laettner would have explosive scoring in JJ, and versatility, smarts, and metrics in Kyle and Ryan. Team Heyman has two of Duke's steadiest, smartest leaders during this era in Batter and Scheyer, 3 outstanding defenders in Shane, CDu, and Nelson, and a well-rounded, athletic, senior Mason Plumlee.

Overall team defense and depth of a 40min defensive rotation combined with enough offense to hurt you...team Hill might have a surprise showing if these teams played a mini tourney.

Team Ferry.
Kyrie would have been an ALL TIME Duke player if he didn't get hurt. Or if he stayed another year.
Langdon would rain 3's.
Ingram has potential to go off for 25 at any moment.
McRoberts great passer.
And Brand potentially Duke's most dominant big ever.

Plus I get NATE JAMES.

Tough choice. Just shows how blessed we fans have been over the yrs. some great young men have passed through. Having said that I'm going with Team Ferry, too much fire power to ignore.. LOL.

Yeah not easy.. imagine me doing the draft..

I did a serpentine draft (1,2,3,4,5,6,6,5,4,3,2,1). Every pick was impossible! Quinn Cook in his 4th year? or Austin Rivers freshman? How do you pick...

And yeah - I'm sure I've made some mistakes... and yeah I had Pocius and Melchionni left on the board..

I picked JJ 1st... Jay Will 2nd... Battier 3rd... Sheldon 4th... Okafor 5th... Kyrie 6th...

Would you have gone differently?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT