ADVERTISEMENT

Kyrie

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
As of the time of this thread Kyrie Irving is not playing basketball. I do not know the reason for sure. I keep hearing things but nothing concrete. He was just with us for a brief time but he is still a Dukie and always will be part of the brotherhood. This is for open discussion about Kyrie and if anyone knows for sure what the deal is please info us. He is a great talent and should be playing if healthy. If not healthy and he has had several injuries maybe he is just tired of those injuries and may feel it is time may be up. If so that's up to him. If he does have issues that are really serious then he needs to get help. I hope we don't get out of hand discussing this. If there is one thing we here on DI that we all stand on common ground is our love for Duke bssketball and the brotherhood. I'm out. OFC

I have no idea what his current issue is...but he is just a weird dude to me. I think he has always been that way but the fame and money really amplified everything. He has a propensity for sticking both feet in his mouth, which if we are being honest...is embarrassing. Dude is wicked on the court though.

Reactions: skysdad
I'm starting to wonder if it was all a ploy to devalue his worth so Houston wouldn't ask for him in a trade for Harden. Either way they gave up their future and one of the best defensive and rebounding bigs in the east for even more offense.

Reactions: geddoughton23
I'm starting to wonder if it was all a ploy to devalue his worth so Houston wouldn't ask for him in a trade for Harden. Either way they gave up their future and one of the best defensive and rebounding bigs in the east for even more offense.
I don’t think Kyrie is clever enough to hatch a scheme like that.

Said in the Frank Costanza voice

I’ve questioned just about every decision/move he has made since he won the title with Lebron. In Kyrie’s defense, he has done some amazing things while seeking no public applause: I know for a fact he paid for 9 HBCU students tuition (all 4 years) recently and it barely made news. It seems like he truly cares about racial injustice and he’s doing his best to make a difference. He’s not playing currently because he claims there are more important things going on right now than basketball. (Take that for what it’s worth)

However, outside of a few nice gestures, he’s just weird. He was tired of being Robin to Lebrons Batman, bolts for the Celtics, but was a complete failure as a #1 option and obviously a bad leader. He recently told the media he refuses to talk to them, and then a day later apologized for it. He made a comment when the Nets hired Nash as HC that the Nets don’t need a HC. He seems like a bad teammate, totally uncoachable.

Last edited:
I don’t think anyone would say he’s a bad guy or his heart isn’t in the right place, but he’s one very confused and seems to be one misguided dude. He reminds me of Ricky Williams the running back if you guys remember him.

Good comparison Tim. Just hope if something is wrong he gets the help he needs. If he is trying to make some kind of statement for whatever reason he needs to play or retire. He has obligations to fill. OFC

I googled his name. Only read the headlines. Apparently, he held a party at his house and is on the covid-19 list. I'm warming to the model of France, Israel and some other countries that require a year of service: military, peace corps, something to promote humility

Reactions: hart2chesson
I googled his name. Only read the headlines. Apparently, he held a party at his house and is on the covid-19 list. I'm warming to the model of France, Israel and some other countries that require a year of service: military, peace corps, something to promote humility

Sound theory ged. Not a Kyrie fan. At all. OFC

Reactions: kingbluedevil
He took a day for mental health due to the Blake verdict and the capital storming. Very next day he’s on social media at his sisters 30 birthday celebration with our a mask.
He violated league rules and got fined 50,000 and has had to forfeit 840,000 for the two games missed. His remaining fines will not take place until he actually reports back to the team and begins the required quarantine period for 17 days and multiple negative test.
Issue people are having biggest with KI is not that he hasn’t played it’s that he was they most out spoken about not playing due to the seriousness of Covid and of many recall sat out during the NBA bubble and gave the WNBA one million to help cover players salaries who wanted to sit out . Only to turn around and go against everything he spoke out about in terms of not wearing s mask, social distancing and quarantine.
I’m like most he’s got enough money he should simply retire.
Houston didn’t want KI in the trade because they didn’t want to deal with his issues and be like the Nets. Great point guard but plays when he wants to.

He just seems like a typical me first guy....hasn’t been a good teammate anywhere he has been...he wants all the treatment of a superstar but doesn’t actually want to be held accountable to the actual actions of being one.

I don't think he even made contact with Nash about what was going on. It's a shame to have this talent and it only last a few years and do this.

That was the main thing for me. Nash not knowing Kyrie wasn't playing until right before game time. And he had to hear it from another player instead of Kyrie himself.

Kyrie hasn't really made a statement on why he was sitting out. If social justice issues affect him that deeply, then he has a decision to make.

He is not a leader but thinks he is...it's why his teams usually underachieve...well except the one year LeBron carried his ass and the rest of that team to a title.

All you hear is kyrie hit the 3 blah blah blah...yes it was a clutch shot but most don't remember the run down block against the backboard by LeBron...it that don't happen kyrie don't hit that 3

Boston with kyrie underachieved big time....without him they made a deep run.... coincidence? I don't think so

He could retire right now and I couldn't care less

Didn't he say he wasn't playing because of covid and whatnot then share pictures on social media of being at a big party with his dad and everyone unmasked?

Honestly, I think Kyrie is just continually distracted with chasing other things. Basketball is simply not the most important thing to him and I don't mean that with any judgement. But leaving the Bubble and his team without even telling anyone is super selfish.

Kyrie is a freaking monster on the court - just unreal - but he's constantly an embarrassment to himself off it.

Kyrie is great, he's just troubled and probably misguided. Too much hate. He has helped Duke tremendously, and also saved his high school from being shut down.

He is not a leader but thinks he is...it's why his teams usually underachieve...well except the one year LeBron carried his ass and the rest of that team to a title.

All you hear is kyrie hit the 3 blah blah blah...yes it was a clutch shot but most don't remember the run down block against the backboard by LeBron...it that don't happen kyrie don't hit that 3

Boston with kyrie underachieved big time....without him they made a deep run.... coincidence? I don't think so

He could retire right now and I couldn't care less
Overall i agree with you, especially your first line. He’s not a leader.

But i have to call you out on the “no one remembers the block.” Give me a break. They overplay the block more than his 3.

Overall i agree with you, especially your first line. He’s not a leader.

But i have to call you out on the “no one remembers the block.” Give me a break. They overplay the block more than his 3.

As they should....but I should clarify I meant with most duke fans....all they wanna talk about is the 3...well because he is a Dukie

Reactions: timo0402
Kyrie is a good example of what happens when what you love officially becomes your job. I’m not questioning his love for the game . It’s more like he is living his real life version of Uncle Drew.

I think I'll sit this one out. Never met the dude. Know nothing about his background, motivation, etc. Cancel away!

Kyrie is probably a good dude. I think he loves Duke, quite a bit. But I think he is a wonky fella with some crazy views on the world. Though when it comes to certain things his heart is clearly in the right place. That said, I cannot pull for the Nets. I cannot stand Harden or Durant.

The Nets made an awful trade. Harden is good, but the Nets gave way too much in first round picks and draft swaps. The Nets were looking great, but gave away way too much talent

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
The Nets made an awful trade. Harden is good, but the Nets gave way too much in first round picks and draft swaps. The Nets were looking great, but gave away way too much talent

Disagree....you try to win NOW and that's exactly what they are doing....you worry about the future well in the future

With Harden now playing for the Nets will there be enough balls for when Kyrie does return. Is it possible for three players from the same NBA team to average 25 plus each. Maybe so. OFC

kyrie has done some really great things for a lot of people.......sometimes life gets heavy and you need a break or more so people around you that keep you together

Reactions: skysdad
The NBA now has a ban on hugging and exchanging jerseys after games. Kyrie tried to exchange jerseys with Bam Adebayo of the Heat. The Security Guard intervened. Adebayo walked away leaving Kyrie looking bewildered

The NBA now has a ban on hugging and exchanging jerseys after games. Kyrie tried to exchange jerseys with Bam Adebayo of the Heat. The Security Guard intervened. Adebayo walked away leaving Kyrie looking bewildered

He's a clown....knows the rules and tries to do it anyway

That has to be the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard, and this is coming from a league that requires them to social distance and wear face masks on the bench.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT