ADVERTISEMENT

Jordan Goldwire Season Preview

BlueDevilStop

Starter
Jun 8, 2020
Cant wait to see Senior Jordan Goldwire. He's been great in Duke's scrimmages and is in line to have a huge impact this season.

Remember what this board was saying about him as a freshman?OFC

Really cool to see a player make a steady improvement into an impact type player, which i think he is ready for. Dont see enough of that these days.

Reactions: kingbluedevil
Patience, hard work still pays off. Most players today want it now but glad to see Goldwire work on his weaknesses and be a impact player. He was already a good defender.

Reactions: BlueDevilStop
I remember 🤔, many questioned why Duke brought in a unknown 3⭐️ PG , 🔥thankfully the staff saw a need to have a solid ,Defensive minded ,athletic PG that would work hard and grow for 4 years . And could become Leader of our team. Have faith in coach and staff

I loved the Goldwire get, even at the time. It seemed to be a nothing to lose scenario, and his mixtape was good. Plus it was pretty clear Duval was one and done.

Reactions: skysdad
I remember 🤔, many questioned why Duke brought in a unknown 3⭐ PG , 🔥thankfully the staff saw a need to have a solid ,Defensive minded ,athletic PG that would work hard and grow for 4 years . And could become Leader of our team. Have faith in coach and staff

A few here went a little farther than just an unknown 3 star. He was a wasted scholly and a sure transfer. Perhaps Dr White has decided that keeping Coach K and staff is a better choice than firing them and hiring members of this board as our coaching staff. OFC

Reactions: christophero
I remember him playing Duval even in high school in the mixtape. You could argue that 4 years of Goldwire is much better than one year of Duval. And that is not to pick on Duval, I think he would have been really good as a sophomore. Goldwire is a talented kid; even this summer people were saying he had peaked. He keeps getting better.

Just grateful that Jordan chose Duke. He has a future in basketball. Don't sell him short anymore. The NBA is full of lesser known players who bloomed late and a lot of well known "talented" never made it. OFC

Reactions: christophero
I’ll say it again..

Goldwire will be our most consistent player.. he will not have “off days”..we know what he brings to the table and he will bring it every single game.

We need a couple Goldwire type players every season.. he compliments the 5 Star /
‘1 & Done’ players perfectly.

He looks physically like a man now. I was a little surprised in that first scrimmage video. Im gonna really cheer for him this year. Love it.

Let’s pump the breaks here. What people were saying then, wasn’t a wasted scholarship, bc we never use all of ours. What people were saying is he would most likely not be more than a glorified practice player. That he couldn’t and SHOULDNT be relied on as our go to PG and if that ever happened we’d be in trouble. Outside of being a glorified practice guy (incorrect) the other comments were absolutely correct and still are. Do you know who agrees? Coach K and the staff as they continue to recruit and land the best blue chip PGs each and every year since he’s been there. He’s absolutely beaten every single prediction of what he could be. Kudos to him and his work ethic. He’s made the most of his talent. I’m proud of him and glad i was wrong saying i didn’t think he could be a rotational guy. We absolutely need him. But let’s cut the unc “Luke Maye” crap- finding a diamond in the rough Is just that. Unc fans for the last four years acted like this with regards to Luke. Two guys who vastly exceeded expectations and made more of their god given abilities than anyone would ever have guessed. But let’s not sit back and act like we knew this would be the case. That’s beyond disingenuous. I also don’t want us to start saying we should sign more 2-3* kids like we all believe it would become this. It’s not fair to us and it’s absolutely unfair to guys like Goldwire who are the exception not the rule.

Goldwire from day One could stay in front of other point guards better than any of our other guards. I always thought he'd have a place on the team with his defense. Now that his offense has caught up, he's become a valuable starter.

Catching lightning in the bottle is what allows some teams to make a splash for a year or two and then disappear again. At Duke, finding a player like this is an unexpected bonus.

I'm not sure anyone has said they knew Goldwire would be a starter. But the staff saw something in him, he wasn't just a walk on. Yes he's exceeded all our expectations, but signing one 3 star a year who may pay off down the road sounds like a good idea in the one and done era. Worthington could be a guy who could help us off the bench down the road. Or even Sorvino. Jack white was a guy like that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT