ADVERTISEMENT

Johnny Dawkins

After watching what he did tonight I would be very comfortable with him taking over when K hangs it up. His kids executed the game plan very well and in my opinion it was a great plan. Kudos to him and UCF. They played outstanding.

In my opinion Johnny was the most important player Coach K ever recruited. To me he defines the Coach K era in Duke basketball. I'm not saying he's the best player Coach K ever recruited but he set the standard for all those great ones that followed. Johnny Dawkins is Coach K Duke basketball. OFC

In my opinion Johnny was the most important player Coach K ever recruited. To me he defines the Coach K era in Duke basketball. I'm not saying he's the best player Coach K ever recruited but he set the standard for all those great ones that followed. Johnny Dawkins is Coach K Duke basketball. OFC

He's as good as anybody ever at Duke. Flat out unbelievable player at Duke.

Coach k was very emotional talking about him after the game. Our coach loves his players and gives himself fully to each of them. It’s never easy to have to do what K did.

Reactions: smashmouth5
Feel really bad for Jonny and his son. UCF played really tough. How cool would it have been if UCF and Washington were switched and the Dawkins duo knocked UNC out!

How come Montgomery was able to so well at Stanford?

Jay Williams just said he believes he’ll be the next head coach

UCF can be a year to year winner there under JD.

I don't see why not. The difference between UCF and West Coast teams, is they're actually invested in basketball. An up and coming program with nice weather and the largest student enrollment in the country? Yeah, I'd say UCF has some potential there.

As far as Dawkins being the next Duke coach, maybe, but I don't see it. I say K goes another 4 years and sees his grandson graduate before hanging it up. Dawkins would be 60 years old at the start of his Duke tenure in this scenario. If he was a little younger, I could see it. But he's in the same boat as Mike Brey. Both are much more likely to retire from coaching basketball in their current positions than they are to jump ship and go elsewhere.

Also, Stanford wouldn’t make an exception for Aubrey or else Johnny would still be at Stanford. It’s funny, because Stanford was just caught up in the admissions scandal for accepting other students. Hahaha

One tourney appearance the whole time? You don’t think he’d have trouble recruiting at duke?
Trouble recruiting? No -- not at all.

College:
NPOY
2x All American first team
2x ACC first team
His scoring record at Duke held for 20 years
His number is retire

NBA:
Drafted 10th -- 1st round
Played 9 seasons
Average 11+ points and 5.5 assists per game

Coaching:
2x NIT Championship
2 appearances in NCAA -- Sweet 16 and a heart-breaker to #1 in tournament
156-115 Stanford
67-34 UCF

I'm thinking he would have credibility just about anywhere he goes.

While Dawkins means a lot to some of us, his isn't going to carry much weight when it comes to recruiting with these current youngins'.

While Dawkins means a lot to some of us, his isn't going to carry much weight when it comes to recruiting with these current youngins'.
Who do the "current youngins'" go to? Means a lot to some of us? How long have you been a Duke fan?

College:
NPOY
2x ACC first team
His number is retire

NBA:
Played 9 seasons

Coaching:
2x NIT Championship
156-115 Stanford
67-34 UCF

It did t at stanford

Pisgah, sure it did, it’s Stanford dude. His recruiting pitch/advantage changes 10 fold at Duke.

Reactions: LTDukeFan
Lol still. You want him? Capel is way better and has been a more successful coach
This isn't about Capel. It's about Dawkins.

So your a recuit. You have a visit on campus. You walk on the court. You look up. There's Dawkins' jersey. You look in the Duke Basketball Hall of Fame. There's Johnny Dawkins scoring record. There is a championship banner while he was an assistant. There is Nolan Smith's relationship. As a recruit OR a recruit's parents do you look at that say, "Yeah, I'm not seeing it"?

Is his record perfect at Stanford? No.
Is Dawkins my top pick for Coach K's replacement? No.

BUT, I would say that he would do _very_ well as the next Duke coach.

Hey guys, what do you think about Brad Stevens though? Every thought about him taking over for K? Just a thought I had.

This isn't about Capel. It's about Dawkins.

So your a recuit. You have a visit on campus. You walk on the court. You look up. There's Dawkins' jersey. You look in the Duke Basketball Hall of Fame. There's Johnny Dawkins scoring record. There is a championship banner while he was an assistant. There is Nolan Smith's relationship. As a recruit OR a recruit's parents do you look at that say, "Yeah, I'm not seeing it"?

Is his record perfect at Stanford? No.
Is Dawkins my top pick for Coach K's replacement? No.

BUT, I would say that he would do _very_ well as the next Duke coach.

Also he’d be nearly 60 and have won nothing as a head coach. If it goes to him that’s fine we’re duke and he would be a fine guthridge for us but nothing else. You don’t hire Dawkins to build success that’s a placeholder hire

Nobody and I mean nobody was talking about him till yesterday but I almost think it could be him now. He clearly means more to K than any other player he’s had so who knows.

College:
NPOY
2x ACC first team
His number is retire

NBA:
Played 9 seasons

Coaching:
2x NIT Championship
156-115 Stanford
67-34 UCF

Take Johnny D in a heartbeat as our next coach. I think Johnny is a better coach than Capel, perhaps not as good a recruiter. I am sure Duke is also watching Jeff to see if he can oversee a CLEAN PROGRAM at Pitt. He wasnt responsible for violations at OU, but they occurred on his watch.

OFC

Also he’d be nearly 60 and have won nothing as a head coach. If it goes to him that’s fine we’re duke and he would be a fine guthridge for us but nothing else. You don’t hire Dawkins to build success that’s a placeholder hire

Nobody and I mean nobody was talking about him till yesterday but I almost think it could be him now. He clearly means more to K than any other player he’s had so who knows.
He's 55. He spent 9 years in the NBA and 10 years as a Duke assistant.

And you're right about no one talking about it. Look, he would not be my #1 choice. My guy is the other former Duke player with his jersey retired that is coaching....

Reactions: pisgah101
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT