ADVERTISEMENT

Jahlil Okafor

DukeDenver

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Nov 21, 2010
Triad, NC
Big Jah is a free agent looking for a contract (amazing to me that he is in this position after what he did at Duke). He is getting looks from a few teams including the Bulls. That would be something: Jabari and Jah back in Chicago together with Wendell.

link to story

Reactions: Canadian Dukie
He just cant seem to find his niche as an NBA player,he's still very young,hopefully he'll figure it out
Supposedly he's down to ~255 lbs. Hopefully that helps him run the floor better. All he needs to do on defense is not screw up pick and rolls and box out. He does not need to block shots to be effective. I am really hoping Chicago gives him a small 2-year contract. I think he'll thrive back at home surrounded by familiar places and faces.

Not that I have any reliable sources, but from what I've read, there was an "attitude" problem. If so, he would be wise to fix that so he and his family can be set for life (not parking cars at Shoney's like PJ).
OFC

Not that I have any reliable sources, but from what I've read, there was an "attitude" problem. If so, he would be wise to fix that so he and his family can be set for life (not parking cars at Shoney's like PJ).
OFC
He has already earned 14.5 million, so after taxes he should have a few investments to carry him.

There is a huge buzz he's coming to Chicago to play behind Robin Lopez, Jabari Parker at the Wf/Sf and Carter at Pf.

The Bulls putting fans in the seats.

He is just a guy out of his time a little bit. 20 years ago, he would probably be perennial All-Star with his footwork and touch around the basket. I think he can still find a niche and I'm surely rooting for him.

He is just a guy out of his time a little bit. 20 years ago, he would probably be perennial All-Star with his footwork and touch around the basket. I think he can still find a niche and I'm surely rooting for him.

I wouldn’t even say he’s out of his time, because you can always use an offensively efficient big. His issue has been amazingly poor rebounding efficiency and pourous defense to go with a supposedly horrible work ethic. If he has truly learned to turn things around, I’d love to see what he could really offer a team. A one year “prove it” deal would do him wonders.

A big that cannot move his feet defensively or rebound efficiently will not get consistent minutes in today’s NBA regardless of how offensively talented they are. It’s really unfortunate because obviously Jah is a fan favorite in our program, but it’s just the way it is at this point. He seems to be aware of his limitations though so hopefully he’ll be able to improve in those areas.

Read where after his rookie season (which was very productive) his injuries really effected his mentality. That and watching the 76’s give all the time to Embid to get healthy .

Jah is still young but he has to find his confidence back like he had at Duke and needs to be more productive on the defensive end. There are reports that he’s been talking to the 76’s about a two way contract to show his improvements to teams.

Reactions: DukeDenver
Read where after his rookie season (which was very productive) his injuries really effected his mentality. That and watching the 76’s give all the time to Embid to get healthy .

Jah is still young but he has to find his confidence back like he had at Duke and needs to be more productive on the defensive end. There are reports that he’s been talking to the 76’s about a two way contract to show his improvements to teams.

Also, no one wants to discuss what his Dad's influence with the 76ers organization did to hinder his trade value or PT! I credit the organization for keeping that 'in - house'.

The kid needs a new start.

I wouldn’t even say he’s out of his time, because you can always use an offensively efficient big. His issue has been amazingly poor rebounding efficiency and pourous defense to go with a supposedly horrible work ethic. If he has truly learned to turn things around, I’d love to see what he could really offer a team. A one year “prove it” deal would do him wonders.

The biggest issue with the 'Big Man' in 2018 is the offensive efficiency. If Jah can go out and get a consistent 20/10 a night close to the basket and make his free throws, then there is big money waiting for him. The defense won't be that big of a deal. He must develop that work ethic and hunger.

Well, we know what the 76'ers do "in-house" I mean on Twitter
Lol. Yeahhhh I don't see how any sane person could currently defend the internal 76ers organizational management after that twitter scandal.

Jah's dad was the man during Jah's 1 year at Duke. Met him in Indianapolis during the final four, couldn't have been nicer to everyone, was always smiling and greeting people.

I think with Jah it is:

1) defensive liability (he CAN move his feet on O (he was known for his incredible offensive footwork at Duke), he should be able to work on his D.. it is his biggest weakness and what has kept him off the floor and what kept him off the floor late in the title game...

2) his attitude (getting arrested going 100+mph over a bridge, getting down about not playing, etc) yeas I had read over a year ago that he had went vegan and had lost a lot of weight... but now work on your D... footwork drills, hustle, WANT to play D!

He has "made 14M"... but how much has he kept. 14M after taxes and agent fees may be 7M... I hope he has saved at least 1/3 of that... But at his age, I am not sure I would have been smart enough to tuck 2M away and know that no matter what, if I am smart, I will be able to live a good but not ultra extravagant life off that interest...

I pull for him and marveled at his post moves and footwork on the offensive side of the ball at Duke. I want him to prove those who benched him wrong...

But it has to come from within him.

I never could understand how a guy with that kind of footwork on offense couldn't move his feet on defense. Plus he's got a huge wing span. Even when he was at Duke, the issue seemed to be effort. Too much standing around flat footed. I didn't buy the "he can't foul" excuse.

Reactions: jamsession3
Lol. Yeahhhh I don't see how any sane person could currently defend the internal 76ers organizational management after that twitter scandal.

Jah's dad was the man during Jah's 1 year at Duke. Met him in Indianapolis during the final four, couldn't have been nicer to everyone, was always smiling and greeting people.

Don't get it either. Heard nothing but great things about Chuckie. Their story is incredible as well. They've been through a lot. But Chuckie always provided the enthusiasm among the Duke parents!

It seems like in today's game you can be one-dimensional, as long as that dimension is defensive (the Javale McGees of the world).

Reactions: Quavarius
The biggest issue with the 'Big Man' in 2018 is the offensive efficiency. If Jah can go out and get a consistent 20/10 a night close to the basket and make his free throws, then there is big money waiting for him. The defense won't be that big of a deal. He must develop that work ethic and hunger.

Exactly. But he doesn’t get 20/10. He can get the 20, but the 10? He got it once last season in limited time, and 3 times the season before that. And if he hit threes, that may buy him some leeway, but he doesn’t. So his bread will be buttered IMO, if he can hit the boards the way he’s capable and be at least slightly serviceable on D. My point, I don’t think he needs to transform into Kosta Koufos to have a job.

Exactly. But he doesn’t get 20/10. He can get the 20, but the 10? He got it once last season in limited time, and 3 times the season before that. And if he hit threes, that may buy him some leeway, but he doesn’t. So his bread will be buttered IMO, if he can hit the boards the way he’s capable and be at least slightly serviceable on D. My point, I don’t think he needs to transform into Kosta Koufos to have a job.

Which is crazy since he averaged 17.3 ppg and 8.5 reb. at Duke. Not sure why his rebounding didn't translate to the next level.

Reactions: dukehokie
I know this isn't Jahlil Okafor related, but Marshall Plumlee was just let go of by the Bucks. Hopefully he gets another chance on a team. With that guys work ethic and selflessness, he makes a great end of bench role guy.

Which is crazy since he averaged 17.3 ppg and 8.5 reb. at Duke. Not sure why his rebounding didn't translate to the next level.
My guesses are pace and length. That shot clock makes you run so much more. The average wingspan in the NBA has got to be 4 inches longer than the ACC.

My guesses are pace and length. That shot clock makes you run so much more. The average wingspan in the NBA has got to be 4 inches longer than the ACC.

Yeah but at 6'11 270, there is no excuse for not being at least an average rebounder. Rebounding at any level requires a certain desire.

Reactions: denniden
The "back to the basket/immobile" big is now a dinosaur in the NBA. Look at Dwight Howard, in a 5 year period, he went from being a MVP level player, to being salary dumped by the Hornets lol.
Jah honestly just came into the league during a transition period. If he's playing in the 90's, he's a starting center, getting buckets and clogging up the lane.
I believe he will still find his niche' as a coming off the bench guy who can carry a 2nd-unit offense.
As for the rebounding...he SHOULD be better than what he has shown in the NBA. However, he gobbled up most of his college rebounds by standing under the basket and being bigger than everyone. In the NBA, center's have to guard all the way out to the 3 point line, and he's not bigger than everyone. He has really struggled to adjust.

Foot-speed and attitude. He fixed those 2 things, and he will make a lot more money in the NBA.

Reactions: Quavarius
Saw a pic Jah is way thinner then at Duke and his first couple of seasons in the league.

He’ll find a home and Marshall was on a two way contract but he never lets that get him down he will be on a team

The "back to the basket/immobile" big is now a dinosaur in the NBA. Look at Dwight Howard, in a 5 year period, he went from being a MVP level player, to being salary dumped by the Hornets lol.
Jah honestly just came into the league during a transition period. If he's playing in the 90's, he's a starting center, getting buckets and clogging up the lane.
I believe he will still find his niche' as a coming off the bench guy who can carry a 2nd-unit offense.
As for the rebounding...he SHOULD be better than what he has shown in the NBA. However, he gobbled up most of his college rebounds by standing under the basket and being bigger than everyone. In the NBA, center's have to guard all the way out to the 3 point line, and he's not bigger than everyone. He has really struggled to adjust.

Foot-speed and attitude. He fixed those 2 things, and he will make a lot more money in the NBA.

Agreed, but Jah faced players his size or bigger in college. They may not have been NBA caliber athletes, but he didn't play against midgits in college, unlike high school.

Reactions: jwill133

His rebounding did translate. 8.3 boards as, essentially, the lone big on Duke's team isn't great. And that was with a few statistical outliers which drug up his average.
Last year, Bags and Carter both averaged as much or more rebounds, while playing with another big, and being backed up by more bigs.
Really, Oak wasn't a great rebounder at Duke given our roster, playing style, and his size, length, athleticism.
Bigs today have to defend, rebound, and score. In that order. They can live without the scoring. Heck, if a big will rebound, that should be good for 4-6 points by itself, with another 4-6 thrown in on broken plays, dish offs, and alley oops.
Off the bench, if Oak could get 10ish ppg, and 9ish rbp, he'd have a career. He could do more, but at this point it is fair to wonder if he has any intention of playing D.

Reactions: dukehokie
Jah better smarten up or he'll be playing in G-league.

His best chance to land a decent contract is to humble himself and admit the things he did wrong in a mature way and accept that this 2nd contract will be small. If he goes for a 1 or 2 year contract for not that much cash, he's basically telling the world, "I'm ready to prove it with actions." If he does show up in the minutes he's given, he can expect that money to grow. Go earn it with effort big guy.

His best chance to land a decent contract is to humble himself and admit the things he did wrong in a mature way and accept that this 2nd contract will be small. If he goes for a 1 or 2 year contract for not that much cash, he's basically telling the world, "I'm ready to prove it with actions." If he does show up in the minutes he's given, he can expect that money to grow. Go earn it with effort big guy.

Thing is, I'm sure there are numerous suitors for him. But they want to lock him up for 3-5 years at a low rate. A 1-2 year deal might make sense for Jah, but teams may not be willing to help him out. I'd bet the yearly pay isn't really the issue, but rather the duration. Jah would probably be fine with 1-2 years as 4-5 per, but the teams probably want 4-5 years at 5-6. If Jah were to improve, the team would get a fantastic deal, while Jah spends a chunk of his prime being underpaid.

Thing is, I'm sure there are numerous suitors for him. But they want to lock him up for 3-5 years at a low rate. A 1-2 year deal might make sense for Jah, but teams may not be willing to help him out. I'd bet the yearly pay isn't really the issue, but rather the duration. Jah would probably be fine with 1-2 years as 4-5 per, but the teams probably want 4-5 years at 5-6. If Jah were to improve, the team would get a fantastic deal, while Jah spends a chunk of his prime being underpaid.
It seems like a 5 year/25 million dollar deal would be risky for a team to offer, because that almost encourages mediocre effort from the player until year 4-5. I'd give the guy a one year deal worth whatever I had left in my cap space and tell him straight up that this is a tryout. He would then be able to get more from that single team on a long term contract (as compared to other offers) after the one year trial is up, which gives the team the inside track on locking him down for a bigger salary, assuming he's showed promise.

The problem is he has done that but hasn’t been able to prove it. He couldn’t get off the bench from the nets. Ever since he was drafted by the 76ers instead of the Lakers he’s had an awful attitude. It’s the saddest demise I’ve ever seen from an ex duke who’s so talented. The defense and rebounding is inexcusable. I hope he gets another chance but at this point I doubt it.

It seems like a 5 year/25 million dollar deal would be risky for a team to offer, because that almost encourages mediocre effort from the player until year 4-5. I'd give the guy a one year deal worth whatever I had left in my cap space and tell him straight up that this is a tryout. He would then be able to get more from that single team on a long term contract (as compared to other offers) after the one year trial is up, which gives the team the inside track on locking him down for a bigger salary, assuming he's showed promise.

I think there is a tendency to think that Jah is now awful. He's not. He's a mediocre bench player now. Even with the poor d and subpar rebounding, he's still good for a reasonably efficient 10ish points again. And that is the worst case scenario with him. Realistically, that worst case in worth 20-25 million over 4-5 years.
Because, he's probably better than that. If you can get 15 and 8 from him, that 4-5 million a year is a freaking steal.
I think Oak would be fine on a decent team. Not an all star or anything, but a quality starter. And that is worth far more than 4-5 years per. Oak would love a chance to show that he's a quality starter over the next 1-2 years. At that point, he'd still be in his mid 20s, with ample time for 1-2 larger contracts. If he signs a 4-5 year contract, he'll only have time for 1 more good contract. He's betting on himself, but I bet most teams want to lock him down for multiple years at a smaller rate.
Because, with today's salary cap, 4-5 per year isn't a big gamble. Oak will give something back. That 4-5 year deal for 20-25 mill will never be seen as a disaster. Maybe a small mistake, but not a franchise crippling one (and one that would be easy to move at any point). And it could turn into a steal.

Don't get it either. Heard nothing but great things about Chuckie. Their story is incredible as well. They've been through a lot. But Chuckie always provided the enthusiasm among the Duke parents!

Duke happiness is not the same as Philly happiness wend long term money is involved.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT