ADVERTISEMENT

Its Shooting woes, dangit!!!

hart2chesson

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Oct 13, 2012
Duke again shot the rock quite poorly from three vs Purdue. I saw a quote from Jon: Proctor's shots "were close but didn't go in." We'll that's an encouraging quote, but despite Jon's quote, Proctor doesn't impress me as the answer from outside.

Jeremy is an excellent mid-range two pt shooter, but is somewhat inconsistent on 3s. Flip throws in a few, but don't expect him to be Laettner out there.

I am hopeful Whitehead emerges from deep with more PT, wait and see approach there. I still think Schutt deserves an extended shot over Blakes. I realize Blakes D is better, but is he really giving us much else??? Said it before, and will say it again- give Schutt a legit shot, and see if he can throw it in the ocean. Certainly we can hide him in our "12" defense, basically the Boeheim 2-3 zone. Rant over, have at it.

OFC

It sure does seem like ages since we had a really good, reliable three point shooter.

I do think if the staff doesn't come up with a better offensive game plan than putting up 25 threes a game we could be in for a long season.

I have to wonder if they make them in practice and Jon feels it will start clicking in games.

Some of it has to do with whether they catch and shoot in rhythm, or awkwardly when there aren't any other shots.

I really feel Proctor will get better based on his performance for the Australian team and Grandison based on his career. I'm not so sure about Flip, Mitchell or Whitehead. Roach is who he always has been, 33-5% maybe.

Reactions: hart2chesson
We always had someone who could shoot 3's...Trajon, Jwill, JJ, Grayson, Sheyer...we've either failed to recruit those types of players or we've just been unfortunate the ones we've landed havent produced...i dont see one on this team, nor on last years...maybe there is one incoming? You'd think in the transfer portal there would be a D2 guy who could hit a few for us...

We always had someone who could shoot 3's...Trajon, Jwill, JJ, Grayson, Sheyer...we've either failed to recruit those types of players or we've just been unfortunate the ones we've landed havent produced...i dont see one on this team, nor on last years...maybe there is one incoming? You'd think in the transfer portal there would be a D2 guy who could hit a few for us...
I hope Shutt is not playing bc of lack of effort/ intensity on def and not cus he’s not very good at it. If it’s the latter maybe we shouldn’t have recruited him. Some of these guys we could get in the portal would fall into the latter cat. Coach K was willing to give a little like with Baker. He clearly thought Joey lacked the physical ability to be a good defender or else Joey would have gotten zero burn. With AOC I think it was lack of focus / effort

I think some of our recruits thrive in the spotlight and some can't handle the bright lights and big stage. K's super short leash played a factor in the past as well IMHO. Either way, we have not had a solid three point shooting threat in quite some time. It really helps me appreciate what guys like JJ and Trajon did so much more. And sheesh, this year, when it's bad, it's team wide and epidemic in proportion.

I think we win on Wednesday and shoot well at home, but I still think it's a rocky beginning to the ACC regular season ahead. As long as we are peaking in early March, I am good with that.

We are ranked 17th now. If we lose Wednesday we may drop out of the top 25. I think we win since it's at home.
As this team needs to. They were ranked simply because Roach coming back and the recruiting class along with the transfers. Never should have been a top ten team . Always thought 15-20 yes. This team needs a wake up call. Teams aren’t going to lay down for you because you have Duke on the front of your jersey .

As this team needs to. They were ranked simply because Roach coming back and the recruiting class along with the transfers. Never should have been a top ten team . Always thought 15-20 yes. This team needs a wake up call. Teams aren’t going to lay down for you because you have Duke on the front of your jersey .
Shey, for once you are right :). We have only one really good guard But he shoots inconsistently. UNCheat's guards and UVA will have little trouble with us unless things change a lot. If we have been concentrating on defense, what happened aftyer we cut the lead to 6? Starting to feel queazy about Scheyer. We knew we were going to need guards a year ago. Why are we left with this?

OFC

I think the best chance we have is for Proctor and Whitehead to become more consistent. Maybe they can become respectable from the perimeter.
There’s a chance we might can get some decent play out of Mitchell, but I don’t have faith in him helping much from past 10 feet. Not trying to be mean, but he has the ugliest form shooting jumpers that I can recall, especially from a non big.
And I think Lively is a poor man’s Mark Williams.

Not to pile on Lively, because obviously he is a good player and has a bright future. But he just doesn't look physically ready and I don't see that changing this year. Lively might improve, and likely will, but it's just hard to see him having much impact when the Virginias and North Carolinas come calling. He's a great example of a guy who needs a year two. But we will only get year one. Whitehead has looked very raw so far, so I hope in a few months he can become a go to scorer. I just don't see a ton of progress in the 6 games he's been back, and the clock is ticking. It's not Whitehead's fault he missed a ton of time.

Whitehead, I can see by January starting to get his mojo back. Lively will improve as the year progresses; how effective he ends up being will remain to be seen.

Shey, for once you are right :). We have only one really good guard But he shoots inconsistently. UNCheat's guards and UVA will have little trouble with us unless things change a lot. If we have been concentrating on defense, what happened aftyer we cut the lead to 6? Starting to feel queazy about Scheyer. We knew we were going to need guards a year ago. Why are we left with this?

OFC
Queazy after how many games!? I swear sometimes this fanbase is embarrassing . Unc fans was doing the same last year with Hubert.

It’s a message board. People are intitled to their opinion. I have faith in Scheyer .

It’s the players who have to adapt . You can practice all week but it’s how you translate it to actual games that’s key . It’s a long season .
Mitchell was never an offensive threat from beyond 12 feet infront of the basket but he can make shots but his best offensive tools are from 12 feet in and around the basket. Sometimes the player has to realize,” man , if I go hard they can’t stop me !” Mitchell has that game .

I think the best chance we have is for Proctor and Whitehead to become more consistent. Maybe they can become respectable from the perimeter.
I agree with this Mac, 100%. Roach is going to do his thing, and he will win some games for us on the offensive end, but he is going to have off nights. I do believe that Proctor is a best chance to show he can make threes at 35% over the next month.

Queazy after how many games!? I swear sometimes this fanbase is embarrassing . Unc fans was doing the same last year with Hubert.
The point is that I have yet to see any indication that Duke is improving. I do not think 100% of the blame should go on the players. That leaves some for the coaches. So far, Duke has not looked good and appears easy to defend. That is why I feel a little "queazy" about where we are. Of course it is possible for things to turn around quickly, and hope springs eternal.

OFC

The point is that I have yet to see any indication that Duke is improving. I do not think 100% of the blame should go on the players. That leaves some for the coaches. So far, Duke has not looked good and appears easy to defend. That is why I feel a little "queazy" about where we are. Of course it is possible for things to turn around quickly, and hope springs eternal.

OFC
I have confidence in Jon, but I also feel questioning his performances for one game or several games doesn’t mean you are bearish about his ability or the overall direction of the program

Scheyer is learning as are the players . It’s just that simple . Head scratching is worse for him I can say that. look at all the time him and the staff put in doing their work on these recruits watching them play, seeing how they will gel together.
Christmas break gives everyone a chance to reset a bit . That was what, four games in six days ? Hard to work on a lot outside of in game experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: KDSTONE
No one was being disrespectful. No one was calling for Jon to be fired like the Notre Dame fans was calling for after the Marshall and Stanford losses. Jon took a big time, high paying job. If you lose by 20 people are going to ask questions. It happens, basketball is a game of momentum and sometimes you get steamrolled. Saying "Whitehead and Lively will improve and the team will gell" isn't a strategy. It may come to pass, and it would be great to see. But it isn't guaranteed. If the team plays hard Wednesday and still loses at home to OSU, that will be troubling to me. But it's still early, and we can right the ship tomm. with a nice win.

Last edited:
No one was being disrespectful. No one was calling for Jon to be fired like the Notre Dame fans was calling for after the Marshall and Stanford losses. Jon took a big time, high paying job. If you lose by 20 people are going to ask questions. It happens, basketball is a game of momentum and sometimes you get steamrolled. Saying "Whitehead and Lively will improve and the team will gell" isn't a strategy. It may come to pass, and it would be great to see. But it isn't guaranteed. If the team plays hard Wednesday and still loses at home to OSU, that will be troubling to me. But it's still early, and we can right the ship tomm. with a nice win.
Well said. Before I post, except sometimes late at night, I always ask myself: Is this something a Unc fan or Uk fan would say? If so, I usually trash it and spare the rest of you guys

OFC
Fair but let’s be honest with ourselves. There’s no zion, Paulo, Tatum to cover for offensive issues like we’ve had in the past. Most recruiting sites stated last year this class was way down compared to others especially with Covid. Lively is a pnr defender but some expected him to be Jah(not happening), whitehead still needs time and he’s rusty, so far no transfers have really helped. Jon can’t shoot the ball for them

We need to put the ball in Proctors hands more and let him create. Percentages be damned, the kid can ball and his shooting will come around, his stroke looks great, it just hasn’t gone in.

Whitehead needs to develop into the All-ACC caliber player he was supposed to be or IMO this team will be very fortunate to make the Sweet 16. There’s not really any other answers, Schutt ain’t it.

Reactions: Devilinside
Fair but let’s be honest with ourselves. There’s no zion, Paulo, Tatum to cover for offensive issues like we’ve had in the past. Most recruiting sites stated last year this class was way down compared to others especially with Covid. Lively is a pnr defender but some expected him to be Jah(not happening), whitehead still needs time and he’s rusty, so far no transfers have really helped. Jon can’t shoot the ball for them
Should have added ,” Except Young .” On the transfer part. He has done what he was brought in to do .

We need to put the ball in Proctors hands more and let him create. Percentages be damned, the kid can ball and his shooting will come around, his stroke looks great, it just hasn’t gone in.

Whitehead needs to develop into the All-ACC caliber player he was supposed to be or IMO this team will be very fortunate to make the Sweet 16. There’s not really any other answers, Schutt ain’t it.
So that I’ve got this correctly. K is gone , Scheyer is a first year coach with one returning player who has ever played real minutes at Duke in games and simply making the tourney would not be good enough for Scheyers first year? Not to mention you see the early offensive struggles and most fans are panning on Whitehead to correct that once in shape? I want this board to remember Duke was out of the tourney two years ago with K at the helm .

Transfers can be hit and miss. I would prefer guys returning. They still have to learn a new system and adjust to teammates.

So that I’ve got this correctly. K is gone , Scheyer is a first year coach with one returning player who has ever played real minutes at Duke in games and simply making the tourney would not be good enough for Scheyers first year? Not to mention you see the early offensive struggles and most fans are panning on Whitehead to correct that once in shape? I want this board to remember Duke was out of the tourney two years ago with K at the helm .
I think you got this correct. This is Duke basketball, we are the gold standard and the best modern college basketball program. Just making the tourney should never be a measuring stick for a successful season IMO, first year coach or not. All freshman or not.

Scheyer didn’t just take over recently, he was announced as coach in waiting 18 months ago. He signed the #1 recruiting class (a weak class, but still #1). Whitehead needs to be much better. And yes, I would expect a guy (Whitehead) that is projected to be top 10 in the draft to fix some of our offensive issues, especially once he is better conditioned.

Sure, we didn’t make the tourney 2 years ago. There weren’t fans in the stands, it was just a weird year overall. It was obvious IMO that K’s heart and desire was never locked in that year. I would hope that Jon’s first year he is a little more locked in.

I think you got this correct. This is Duke basketball, we are the gold standard and the best modern college basketball program. Just making the tourney should never be a measuring stick for a successful season IMO, first year coach or not. All freshman or not.

Scheyer didn’t just take over recently, he was announced as coach in waiting 18 months ago. He signed the #1 recruiting class (a weak class, but still #1). Whitehead needs to be much better. And yes, I would expect a guy (Whitehead) that is projected to be top 10 in the draft to fix some of our offensive issues, especially once he is better conditioned.

Sure, we didn’t make the tourney 2 years ago. There weren’t fans in the stands, it was just a weird year overall. It was obvious IMO that K’s heart and desire was never locked in that year. I would hope that Jon’s first year he is a little more locked in.
Well then fans better pray three out of the six freshman become all star players over the season because the field is going to be loaded with upperclassman teams .

Turn Jaden Schutt lose in the 1st half tonite. Tell him he's not coming out for MISSING ONE SHOT!! Heck why not, we can't shoot any worse. This team is Clearly perimeter challenged! Let's Go Duke, OFC

It would be good to see who our shooters are for specific possessions...meaning who is our midrange guy we work a shot for? Who is our 1 v 1 driving guy? Who's our post option? who do we give the 3 ball to? Seems like we are still letting players decide what shot to take and they are making poor choices for their skillset...this might help us shoot a better percentage ..if we play to the strengths of the players and limit them from shooting shots they have no business taking.....

That's my point. From what I see SO FAR, this does not appear to be a tournament team. Hopefully our kids will, at some point, get used to the pressure. But without some reliable outside shooting, I do not think that Scheyer, or even K, could get us to the tournament. We need two more shooters in addition to Flip. It may be that Whitehead will overcome his lost injury time and become one. Maybe Proctor will find his touch. Maybe Roach will become more consistent. I think we will need two of those things to happen because I do not think Blakes and Schutt can provide the needed offense, and there is no one else on the bench. We will see tonight where we stand against another good team. Here's hoping!

OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: sheyduke
I would like for Blake’s and Mitchell to simply just attack the basket. That said s where they have the most success on offensive and atleast get to the line .
Need Proctor to continue to improve as he’s doing . Lively needs to catch more lobs or have them thrown towards him atleast .

That's my point. From what I see SO FAR, this does not appear to be a tournament team. Hopefully our kids will, at some point, get used to the pressure. But without some relaible outside shooting, I do not think that Scheyer, or even K, could get us to the tournament. We need two more shooters in addition to Flip. It may be that Whitehead will oversome his lost injury time and become one. Maybe Proctor will find his touch. Maybe Roach will become more consistent. I think we will need two of those things to happen because I do not think Blakes and Schutt can provide the needed offense, and there is no one else on the bench. We will see tonight where we stand against another good team. Here's hoping!

OFC
Do you seriously not think this is a tournament team? I cannot fathom this team not making the tournament. Sure, if we had a catastrophic injury to a central player, then id give you that. Eight games. Eight. It's November. Step off the ledge, man.

It would be good to see who our shooters are for specific possessions...meaning who is our midrange guy we work a shot for? Who is our 1 v 1 driving guy? Who's our post option? who do we give the 3 ball to? Seems like we are still letting players decide what shot to take and they are making poor choices for their skillset...this might help us shoot a better percentage ..if we play to the strengths of the players and limit them from shooting shots they have no business taking.....

At the moment, I think these are the guys that are/will be those players for Duke.

Midrange = Roach. Need Whitehead to help.
1 v 1 = Mitchell. Need Whitehead to help.
Post = 1. Filipowski. 2. Young 3. Need Lively to help.
3-Point = Whitehead. Need Grandison & Proctor to help

Reactions: KDSTONE
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT