ADVERTISEMENT

Is Zion already...

TheDude1

Cameron Crazy
Apr 15, 2010
... the best dunker in Duke history?

Maggette, Henderson, Hill, Henderson, Jones... we’ve had some ferocious dunkers... hell, even Mason and Grayson... Is Zion already at the top of the list, or not quite yet?

This can’t be a serious question. He’s been one of the best dunkers ever on any level for the last two years

I talked to an old timer today and he told me David Thompson was the best dunker he ever saw. He said he had a 43 inch vertical dunk and could just hang in the air. I asked him if he had seen Zion dunk. He hadn't. I told him he weighed around 280 and had a 45 inch vertical. He said dayumm!

Reactions: skysdad
This can’t be a serious question. He’s been one of the best dunkers ever on any level for the last two years

Sorry, love seeing you post here and all that, but this is one convo you can’t really be a part of, what with not being a Duke fan.

Last edited:
Reactions: QC Dukie
Don't forget Gene Banks . Just because he's a old fart now doesn't mean he couldn't throw it down. He assaulted Ralph Sampson one night. OFC
... the best dunker in Duke history?

Maggette, Henderson, Hill, Henderson, Jones... we’ve had some ferocious dunkers... hell, even Mason and Grayson... Is Zion already at the top of the list, or not quite yet?
He's well on his way. Waiting for a Jason Tatum like assault dunk on some poor tar heel dumb enough to challenge him. Would love to see it happen at the dean dome with either big Luke or little. That'said wish for this year. OFC

Not even close. With his size and jumping ability nobody can compare. I bet he would do a lot better dunks in the games if Coach K let him. I would like to see some windmills or 360s but I have a feeling he doesn't want to show off like that. It would be awesome if he dunk from the foul line in the game which I wouldn't put it past the kid

I thought Johnny Dawkins did a fair job above the rim.

Lots of the other mentions have a specific dunk that is the memory hook for everyone.

Henderson’s dunk over Mourning
Allen’s dunk on the baseline in the NCAA Championship.
Gerald Henderson’s dunk on Maryland game.
Grant Hill’s dunk in NCAA against Kansas.

Zion will have too many to chose from. When there is “that dunk” that everyone remembers it will be re-defining.

Not even close. With his size and jumping ability nobody can compare. I bet he would do a lot better dunks in the games if Coach K let him. I would like to see some windmills or 360s but I have a feeling he doesn't want to show off like that. It would be awesome if he dunk from the foul line in the game which I wouldn't put it past the kid
I seem to remember a reporter asking him during an interview sometime this past summer I believe if he would do any of the big dunks like he’s known for while he was at Duke and he said something to the effect of “probably not because we’re all going to be focused on winning and Coach K would probably get mad if I did”. That was the first sign that he just wants to win. We’ll definitely see lots of power dunks and I wouldn’t be surprised if we see him dunk from the free throw line a time or two this season.

We've certainly had some great dunkers at Duke.
Don't think anyone mentioned him, but from just last season Bags was incredible with the way he could spring back up so quickly and dunk before anyone could even react to him.

Still, with the explosiveness, and the power of such a big body makes Zion pretty unique among Duke dunkers (hell, anyone's dunkers). And before this season is over he's going to have at least one of those 'signature' dunks like Grant's, JD's, etc. (hope it's against the Heels.:cool:).
He's definitely going to be a prolific dunker...maybe even challenge for a Duke season record.

OFC

Reactions: Dattier
o_O

I thought Johnny Dawkins did a fair job above the rim.

Lots of the other mentions have a specific dunk that is the memory hook for everyone.

Henderson’s dunk over Mourning
Allen’s dunk on the baseline in the NCAA Championship.
Gerald Henderson’s dunk on Maryland game.
Grant Hill’s dunk in NCAA against Kansas.

Zion will have too many to chose from. When there is “that dunk” that everyone remembers it will be re-defining.
Grayson's dunk was v MSU in the semi, wasn't it?

If with that last bold part you mean Zion's dunks would "split the vote," sort of, allowing someone else's dunk to win in a poll, you're probably right. I don't know that having too many to choose from makes his status as a dunker any less defined, though.

I seem to remember a reporter asking him during an interview sometime this past summer I believe if he would do any of the big dunks like he’s known for while he was at Duke and he said something to the effect of “probably not because we’re all going to be focused on winning and Coach K would probably get mad if I did”. That was the first sign that he just wants to win. We’ll definitely see lots of power dunks and I wouldn’t be surprised if we see him dunk from the free throw line a time or two this season.

@Dattier o_O

It's clear he's a super freak dunker! His chin was on the rim last night! What I am waiting for a defining dunk in a big game, like Tatum's dunk against UNC last year!

When (not if) he does that I can get on board with the GOAT Duke dunker.

Alan

Individually, that Dahntay Jones dunk @UVA is hard to beat for me. To do push-ups while your legs are still on the dude - that's some cold s***.

o_O

Grayson's dunk was v MSU in the semi, wasn't it?

If with that last bold part you mean Zion's dunks would "split the vote," sort of, allowing someone else's dunk to win in a poll, you're probably right. I don't know that having too many to choose from makes his status as a dunker any less defined, though.

Dattier -- when the tag #thatdunk gets applied sometime in the future, it will bring up Zion. Whatever that dunk is will become some sort of meme or brand. Zion will become a verb -- "Did you see that guy just zioned that dude over there..."

That's what I meant by re-defining.

Reactions: Dattier
Was this not a dunk? I guess it doesn't matter... it still came to mind

Slam_6d201b_1018515.jpg

Zion is better at dunking than anyone we've had. He hasn't had his chance yet to do it in an emotional , on enemy grounds type game yet but I can almost assure you that's coming. Any Duke dunk medley in the future, will have several of his in it. Bank on it.

The only thing going against Zion is there are no more Mournings, Sampsons to posterize. He will have to do his signature dunks against UNC or in the FF ala Hill and Grayson.

The only thing going against Zion is there are no more Mournings, Sampsons to posterize. He will have to do his signature dunks against UNC or in the FF ala Hill and Grayson.[/QUOTE

Yes Zion is the best dunker in Duke history and Duke has had some amazing dunkers over the years. Dude had 2 of his dunks on Sports Center top 10 (one of the dunks was #1 play)after the Eastern Michigan game lol!!

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
I’ve not only watched Duke for as long as many (not as a fan but as a temp fan hating) I’ve had a couple teammates go there, AAU teammate who is currently on the staff and played against some when I played overseas and in summer league in northcarolina at St Augustine and NC central and still friends with some so if we are being technical I’d know a tad more than most who only watch the players on TV

Sorry, love seeing you post here and all that, but this is one convo you can’t really be a part of, what with not being a Duke fan.

Best dunker, and the most dominant freshman (so far) we've had imo. I've been watching Duke since the late 80's. Just wow.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT