ADVERTISEMENT

Is Kenny Smith still comparing Joel Berry to Christian Laettner?

I didn't hear what was said. But what was the comparison? They both played inside the state of North Carolina?? That's about the only one I can come up with....that's almost as a as Maye-Byrd!!!!.

I didn't hear what was said. But what was the comparison? They both played inside the state of North Carolina?? That's about the only one I can come up with....that's almost as a as Maye-Byrd!!!!.

Most people took Kenny's comment completely out of context....as rival fans will also do.

Kenny just said...."if Joel Berry can get this UNC team to the Final Four then he's OUR Christian Laettner."

I took it to mean the ultimate compliment to Christian. He never alluded to the two of them having similar careers whatsoever. And to be honest, had Berry gotten there with this group, he probably is their most decorated four-year player. But he didn't....so the conversation can end now.

Most people took Kenny's comment completely out of context....as rival fans will also do.

Kenny just said...."if Joel Berry can get this UNC team to the Final Four then he's OUR Christian Laettner."

I took it to mean the ultimate compliment to Christian. He never alluded to the two of them having similar careers whatsoever. And to be honest, had Berry gotten there with this group, he probably is their most decorated four-year player. But he didn't....so the conversation can end now.

Yeah, that's not near the same as saying they were comparable players

Last edited:

That’s a fair statement. I’ll add berry and Pinson are the two best leaders Roy has had at unc imo.

Taken out of context or not, Berry doesn't even belong in the same conversation with one of, if not the greatest, college players ever. Nuff said.
Go Duke!
OFC

This just comes across as paranoia to me. I mean, Kenny Smith said nothing outlandish. If anything, Duke fans have been the one's way over-the-top on the comments he made. We shouldn't be upset at folks who place Christian Laettner on the pedestal of NCAA basketball. By your argument, we can never compare Duke and UCLA as programs, either.

Taken out of context or not, Berry doesn't even belong in the same conversation with one of, if not the greatest, college players ever. Nuff said.
Go Duke!
OFC

I am with you JC. Lets see Luke Maye compared to Laettner, Berry to Laettner, who will it be next year, Seventh Woods???!! :D

OFC

Reactions: jcdevilfan
I'm watching American Idol with my watch and out walks a guy that at 1st glance I thought he was joel berry but he had red tint in his hair. OFC

Respect to Berry for being a 4 year kid, going to back to back NT games and winning one but PLEASE. Let’s not be silly here.

i dont think he is trying to compare them as players. He is comparing their importance to each program. I still don't think Berry was as important to their program as Laettner was to Duke, but thats better than trying to compare them as players, because there is no comparison. Laettner led Duke to their first, and second National Championship. He got the monkey off K's back.....Berry done none of those things, so I really don't see how Berry is as important to the carolina program as Laettner was to Duke.

i dont think he is trying to compare them as players. He is comparing their importance to each program. I still don't think Berry was as important to their program as Laettner was to Duke, but thats better than trying to compare them as players, because there is no comparison. Laettner led Duke to their first, and second National Championship. He got the monkey off K's back.....Berry done none of those things, so I really don't see how Berry is as important to the carolina program as Laettner was to Duke.
That wasn’t the point he was trying to make. He was simply saying if Berry had led UNC to 3 straight FFs, he would have been our version of a Christinan Laetnner. We’ve never had a player do that in the modern era and it would have been a big deal.

Berry is a solid player and leader. But, it is true, he doesn't belong in the conversation with Laettner.

That said, it's a different era of CBB. If 'Nova wins it all this year then guys like Brunson & Bridges will have made their own mark on the landscape as significant contributors to two NCAA titles. I'll take that over Berry. He just does not belong in the conversation.

If I were ranking college basketball players all-time, just based on their play and accomplishments in college, I'd put Laettner in the top 5, and probably 4th behind Alcindor, Walton, and Bill Russell (what Russell did was additionally amazing b/c of the racial hatred he faced at San Francisco). Pete Maravich would be in that group (though his teams never won big) along with David Thompson and Ewing. Olajuwon would be there except they never won a title either.

Berry is a solid player and leader. But, it is true, he doesn't belong in the conversation with Laettner.

That said, it's a different era of CBB. If 'Nova wins it all this year then guys like Brunson & Bridges will have made their own mark on the landscape as significant contributors to two NCAA titles. I'll take that over Berry. He just does not belong in the conversation.

If I were ranking college basketball players all-time, just based on their play and accomplishments in college, I'd put Laettner in the top 5, and probably 4th behind Alcindor, Walton, and Bill Russell (what Russell did was additionally amazing b/c of the racial hatred he faced at San Francisco). Pete Maravich would be in that group (though his teams never won big) along with David Thompson and Ewing. Olajuwon would be there except they never won a title either.

What Russell accomplished with the Dons at SF certainly cannot be overlooked. Excellent point.

OFC

Reactions: youngman42
I doubt we ever see a 30 for 30: "I hate Joel Berry."
Some may really hate the guy, but his mark on college basketball is unnoticeable next to Christian's.

Actually, that's about all he is.
And Kenny Smith is a huge homer.
I don't know why it is tolerated for him to say garbage like that on national television.
It's like comparing Corey Maggette to Michael Jordan.

He looked to be at the point of almost tears at halftime of the Tex A&M -UNC game. Such a sad homer who never played in a final four. I think thats where part of the Duke resentment comes in. K was launching his '86 FF run while Kenny was at UNC....

OFC

Kenny Smith is just a homer. I highly doubt he has any resentment to Duke, and I highly doubt any Duke guys have resentment for UNC. Those guys handle the rivalry thing much better than fans do. Much better.

And again, there was no comparison as players made between Berry and Laettner, whatsoever. Why that continues to fall on deaf ears is beyond me....but, oh well.

Had Joel Berry been able to get UNC to another Final Four, he would have accomplished something no other UNC player in the modern era had been able to do. That, and that alone is what Kenny Smith was trying to imply. Since UNC is out and Berry is now elbowing kids in pickup games and throwing remote controls in his apartment the rationale has become moot.

That wasn’t the point he was trying to make. He was simply saying if Berry had led UNC to 3 straight FFs, he would have been our version of a Christinan Laetnner. We’ve never had a player do that in the modern era and it would have been a big deal.
More like your Greg Koubek

Reactions: hart2chesson
Kenny Smith is just a homer. I highly doubt he has any resentment to Duke, and I highly doubt any Duke guys have resentment for UNC. Those guys handle the rivalry thing much better than fans do. Much better.

And again, there was no comparison as players made between Berry and Laettner, whatsoever. Why that continues to fall on deaf ears is beyond me....but, oh well.

Had Joel Berry been able to get UNC to another Final Four, he would have accomplished something no other UNC player in the modern era had been able to do. That, and that alone is what Kenny Smith was trying to imply. Since UNC is out and Berry is now elbowing kids in pickup games and throwing remote controls in his apartment the rationale has become moot.

Haha! It's a sad time in my family, and I needed a little levity. Thanks, DJ.

OFC

Since UNC is out and Berry is now elbowing kids in pickup games and throwing remote controls in his apartment the rationale has become moot.

Wow dj you surprised me w/that retort! Will that hurt your image over at THR?

OFC

Wow dj you surprised me w/that retort! Will that hurt your image over at THR?

OFC

My image at THR? Are you serious? I'm probably the most despised poster in that board's history. You haven't been around very long if you think my goal is to impress them.

Have you ever heard an unc broadcaster that wasn't a homer. For that reason Jay Bilas is the best. OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT