ADVERTISEMENT

Im really sad Luke left

Luke was great and we could certainly use another shooter, but I like the style of play we should see this year.

We had 4 great perimeter players last year and we didn't get past the 2nd round. With our interior being our strength, I'm looking forward to us pounding the glass, getting extra opportunities and scoring in transition.

Kennard was one of the best scorers I've seen and with everything that happened last year, it's good that he did what he did offensively.
I'm not trying to be negative on him but as good as he could put the ball in the hoop, I never got the feeling that he makes others better. Maybe it was that he was so bad defensively. When I watch Grayson, it seems to me that he is more team oriented.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Shocked we had him only 2 years. Thought we would be blessed to have him as a 3-4 year guy. Could have made a run at some records if he stuck around longer. Considering the top players only stay a year or 2, he was one of our last hopes of breaking some records, until the rule changes.

Shocked we had him only 2 years. Thought we would be blessed to have him as a 3-4 year guy. Could have made a run at some records if he stuck around longer. Considering the top players only stay a year or 2, he was one of our last hopes of breaking some records, until the rule changes.

He had to strike while the iron was hot. Still couldn't believe he went in the lottery in a stacked draft. What a testament to his work ethic after his freshman season.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
The thing that Kennard would really bring to this particular team is not only some pure shooting from 3 and mid-range (I think we'll have a lot of scoring), but he's one of the more poised and savvy players to come through Duke and his team leadership would be perfect for all these freshmen and returners.

He had to go given his draft stock, but still, he would have been fantastic for this club.

Kennard was one of the best scorers I've seen and with everything that happened last year, it's good that he did what he did offensively.
I'm not trying to be negative on him but as good as he could put the ball in the hoop, I never got the feeling that he makes others better. Maybe it was that he was so bad defensively. When I watch Grayson, it seems to me that he is more team oriented.

I have to disagree with this sentiment. Not because Luke was some savant point guard (though he was a really good passer), but he was so damn efficient. Everyone can get their shots with Luke on a team because he doesn't need 20 touches to score 20. He was a willing passer, wasn't a black hole, and because of that, IMO he was a great teammate to play with.

I have to disagree with this sentiment. Not because Luke was some savant point guard (though he was a really good passer), but he was so damn efficient. Everyone can get their shots with Luke on a team because he doesn't need 20 touches to score 20. He was a willing passer, wasn't a black hole, and because of that, IMO he was a great teammate to play with.
I didn't say he was selfish, but I still don't think what he completely brings to the table makes others around him better. I know my opinion is not popular, and by no means meant as a disrespect to him, just think that if you compare as a whole what Allen brings to the table vs Kennard, yes he's a better scorer than Allen, but if I had to pick between the two I'll take Allen 8 days a week. I think the overall game of others will be lifted more from Allen than Kennard.

I didn't say he was selfish, but I still don't think what he completely brings to the table makes others around him better. I know my opinion is not popular, and by no means meant as a disrespect to him, just think that if you compare as a whole what Allen brings to the table vs Kennard, yes he's a better scorer than Allen, but if I had to pick between the two I'll take Allen 8 days a week. I think the overall game of others will be lifted more from Allen than Kennard.

Since Luke is gone, I'll take that logic whether I agree or not.

Reactions: hart2chesson
IMO while Luke may have been a defensive liability, his performance at the other end of the court MORE THAN OFFSET any defensive deficiencies.He carried us much of the 4 game grueling stretch in the ACC Tourney, and despite the disappointments of last year, he had a major defining moment: the 3 pointer at Wake Forest may have saved us from real disaster. I think if he misses, and we lose that game- we probably lose at Notre Dame two days later. He's also a HECKUVA student-athlete who I am sure will complete his degree despite early entry.

I see the earlier point Mac made about maybe Grayson has "the better overall game," but I can't discount Luke's contributions last year. Without them I think we're dead in the water. I wish him well.

I do think however Grayson brings an incredible "verve" as K likes to say. He can score, distribute and when healthy his D can be stifling at times like the stretch against Wisc his freshman year.Another great student-athlete as well. I think he's primed to lead this team!!I love both those guys!

OFC

Reactions: christophero
IMO while Luke may have been a defensive liability, his performance at the other end of the court MORE THAN OFFSET any defensive deficiencies.He carried us much of the 4 game grueling stretch in the ACC Tourney, and despite the disappointments of last year, he had a major defining moment: the 3 pointer at Wake Forest may have saved us from real disaster. I think if he misses, and we lose that game- we probably lose at Notre Dame two days later. He's also a HECKUVA student-athlete who I am sure will complete his degree despite early entry.

I see the earlier point Mac made about maybe Grayson has "the better overall game," but I can't discount Luke's contributions last year. Without them I think we're dead in the water. I wish him well.

I do think however Grayson brings an incredible "verve" as K likes to say. He can score, distribute and when healthy his D can be stifling at times like the stretch against Wisc his freshman year.Another great student-athlete as well. I think he's primed to lead this team!!I love both those guys!

OFC
Agree 100%.... I do think Allen creates more for those around him, but would I like to have Luke back this year? HELL YES!!

is-savannah-chrisley-engaged-luke-kennard-1.jpg

Last edited:
Allen is more athletic than Luke and when healthy has a comparable outside shot. Luke has more skill like Tatum. Great footwork and great midrange game to go along with an outside shot. Luke maximized his offensive skillset and his offensive potential at Duke.

Next year's starting lineup will most likely be:

• Duval at point guard
  • Allen shooting guard
  • Trent Jr at the wing
  • Carter Jr at the power forward
  • Bagely Jr at Center.
Bolden will come off the bench for Carter Jr or Bagely. Tucker or Alex O for another shooter. Javin will get some minutes.

It will be a more complete team next year with more defined positions. Allen and Kennard were redundant players. Only one should have come back. When healthy, I thought Allen was a little bit better overall. I think the game against South Carolina proved that.

Trent Jr will be able score from the wing and knock down threes along with being a better defender then we had last year.

Last edited:
Good for him and all, of course, but I can't think of many guys I'd want to get another season from... and I thought we would for a long time. So smart and shifty and pure. Damn.
Dear Facebook.....

This is a great thread which honors a great player but I'm sad a lot of our guys left. OFC

The girl is a 20-year-old that sent out a press release for breaking up with her boyfriend of only four months. That tells a lot.

Dude great point.....Truly she buys into no pub=bad pub.....Luke better off... OFC

OFC

Reactions: MyDudeG
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT