ADVERTISEMENT

If this is Coach K’s last year...

bmbritt

Cameron Crazy
Feb 5, 2003
Do you go after Billy Donovan or stick with a Duke guy like Hurley or Capel. If K tells Duke and Donovan that he wants to coach 2 more years, do you ask Donovan to wait and would he. Personally, don’t see him coaching in the NBA and getting more exposure than he would at Duke unless he took over the Lakers, Celtics or possibly Knicks.

This isn’t Coach K’s last year. Look at the class he has coming in next year! Now if Duke can win the 2022 national championship, it’s quite possible that Coach K could rise off into the sunset, but even then, I doubt it.

Do you go after Billy Donovan or stick with a Duke guy like Hurley or Capel. If K tells Duke and Donovan that he wants to coach 2 more years, do you ask Donovan to wait and would he. Personally, don’t see him coaching in the NBA and getting more exposure than he would at Duke unless he took over the Lakers, Celtics or possibly Knicks.
If Coach K does end up retiring soon, I would like for Duke to go after Jay Wright, or Beard, or Bennett( we would have to put up with some mind numbing basketball). This is all of course if Duke decides to look outside the Duke family.

This is not coach K's last year, but Scheyer and Beard are at the top of my list of guys I would like to see replace K.

Jon is a good one in a way because it is sort of lower pressure... not many people expect a guy that young with such little experience to step in and be K, so that might give him some leeway?

What's up with the Donavan conjecture?

If going outside the tree, I dont want Donavan.

What's up with the Donavan conjecture?

If going outside the tree, I dont want Donavan.
I guess because him and OKC both decided it was best they didn’t do an extension.

How about Sheyer as head coach and Donovan as an assistant??:p

I agree, no way K leaves end of this season except if there were health issues.....which there won't be. In my dream world Duke wins the NC in 2022 and K rides off into the sunset, we have a couple down years and the new heir apparent, whoever that may be, shines in his third year, rises up and claims number 7.

Reactions: christophero
If Coach K does end up retiring soon, I would like for Duke to go after Jay Wright, or Beard, or Bennett( we would have to put up with some mind numbing basketball). This is all of course if Duke decides to look outside the Duke family.
Just don’t think Wright or Bennett will leave where they’re at for any college job. I’d rather have Beard than Bennett. Wright could be tempted to take a big time NBA job. Don’t think Bennett would translate well in the NBA. Be a worse version of Tom Thibodeau ball.

I think K is around longer than we think and also think keeping Nolan in the program is extremely important.

Nolan is crucial in recruiting and will be a good HC.

We may have to hire an up and comer like Scheyer the more i think about it. I mean what established coach in their right mind would want to follow Coach K? It's almost a no win situation. I know Stevens said he would a while ago; but that ship has likely sailed.

I wonder what it is about Scheyer that inspires such confidence. I like him too; but what separates him from Wojo and Hurley and Capel and Amaker? I suppose it's because he has never lost a game. :)

Count me in for the Scheyer camp. He knows the game and has turned himself into if not THE best recruiter in the country, he’s right there. Add into that the way he relates to the players, makes him a fantastic next coach.

Capel was the best recruiter in the country as well for us. What do they have in common?;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT