ADVERTISEMENT

Identity crisis

1156jack

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Jun 25, 2003
I have been a solid Duke basketball fan since just a few seasons before the first national championship teams in the early 1990's. Each and every individual team in those years had had a unique identity, a persona, a magnetic star or two (or three), that stimulated a sense of optimism. This year's team is the only that I can't seem to connect with as a fan. I ask myself, is it COVID, or am i still having a post Zion hangover? Whatever "it "is, as a fan, its absence is disconcerting. What is the identity of this team, anyway?

Anyone else feelin this way?

I agree, hard to connect to this team for whatever reason and I don't think its just the average play...lack of crowds doesn't help the atmosphere for the games either and affects the connection I think

Reactions: JCColsCane
Many factors. No crowd especially hurts us because it is an important part of our identity.

I only wonder what if Coach Krzyzewski was no longer the HC? I have steadily shifted away from basketball (towards other sports) the past handful of years.

I really hope Coach is able to manage one final time behind a classic Cameron crowd!

It’s the times we’re in. Tar hole fans are the same. Nothing in the world is normal, nothing. Duke basketball is no different. Watching them play is a 2 hour break from the craziness.
We aren’t that good. It is what it is. There are much bigger things than an 18-19 year old that isn’t playing up to our standards.

Reactions: AlanInNJ
For me, and it sounds like for some others, everything just seems a little dull in these challenging times. I've been a Duke (and K) fan for 35 years. I will be a Duke fan this year and, god willing for decades to come. It's just with everything that's going on I seem to care a little less about CBB (and other things) this year. Sure, I wish this team was performing better, but then I ask myself, would I feel all that much differently if we were undefeated and ranked #1? The answer for me is "no". I think I would still feel the same dulled sensation.

If it's affecting me, it's got to be affecting all the players and coaches in CBB.

Like Mac, for me, being able to watch Duke games right now is a 2 hour welcome distraction. I pray for all that by next season things are much closer to normal and that I am back to my usual, throw the clicker at the TV on bad calls, can't sleep after a huge win, Duke homer self.

Reactions: Mac9192
As some of you older fans know, I have been a Duke fan since the early 60s. This year i just haven't been much of a fan, With the broken down schedule, and the lack of continuity with games, it is just hard to keep the interest level up. Not any less a fan of Duke, just a less fan of sports in general. And to be honest , I haven't seen enough of their games to try and figure out what their problem is. I have great confidence in coach K and hopes he is able to come up with something to turn the team around. I have been through the ups and downs of Duke basketball many times, but, it is hard to get used to the downs because there just have not been many in recent history. Better times will come, hang in there fans.

The passion does not seem to be there. Maybe we're just young and a year away. Everyone is dealing with the same things; we are kind of running out of excuses. Beating Louisville would right the ship in a hurry but I don't see it happening.

Last edited:
Of all the sports, college basketball has been impacted the most by having no fans, and I don't think it's even close. It's just weird watching college basketball games in empty arenas. Football could get away with it, because the fields are so huge and the fans aren't super close to the action, NBA did a great job too with the bubble and the video screens etc.

This just isn't a great Duke team, it happens. UNC/UK seem to have seasons like this every 5 or so years, I'm proud that Duke hasn't had a season like this since, what 1995?? 2007 we were pretty bad, but we still ended up getting a 6 seed in the NCAA tournament, which we would all take right now. The landscape of college basketball has made it impossible to have a run like Duke did in the late 90's early 2000's, either you load up with studs like Duke has, but then you run the risk of a weaker class or missing top guys and a season like this ensues. Or you take the UNC approach, and try to keep guys around and develop them, but it turns out usually that those guys you are developing just aren't very talented.

This is the biggest offseason for Duke in a while. The past few years, we knew who would leave, and we knew we were already bringing in guys to fill those holes. Sure, there is Frank Jackson, Duval, Trent JR: guys who didn't go 1st round who could have stayed, but this year there are 3 of those guys. Steward, Roach, and Brakefield. If everyone leaves, including Johnson and Hurt, than IMO college basketball is dead and following Duke with such passion is something I may reconsider. But I have a feeling were gonna return some lower 5/higher 4 star kids and combine them with lottery talent freshman, the revenge tour next season is gonna be fun! Starting with beating UK by 40.

Nothing normal about this season, but I am all in with these kids and I am really liking the transformation....they have been competing all season

Said this on another thread last week and nobody would even consider it.. I’d be stunned if he came back at this point honestly. It just doesn’t happen anymore that a kid like that comes back.

Reactions: christophero
As some of you older fans know, I have been a Duke fan since the early 60s. This year i just haven't been much of a fan, With the broken down schedule, and the lack of continuity with games, it is just hard to keep the interest level up. Not any less a fan of Duke, just a less fan of sports in general. And to be honest , I haven't seen enough of their games to try and figure out what their problem is. I have great confidence in coach K and hopes he is able to come up with something to turn the team around. I have been through the ups and downs of Duke basketball many times, but, it is hard to get used to the downs because there just have not been many in recent history. Better times will come, hang in there fans.
Curious who is your favorite player.Mine is Bobby Verga

Shane Battier. A warrior, never took a play off, improved every year. And one of the best people around. The kind of guy every father wishes his daughter would marry.

This thread came to mind after last night ( last 4 games) - its been said we play like 3pt shooter team, which we don't have....we also cant penetrate or score on diving to the basket, nor do we have an inside presence to dominate the paint to score...this shows we have no true identity, and that manifests in the games. This year it hasn't been as much positionless basketball, more directionless basketball. Lets hope the lessons from this season are learned and applied to next year.

We did not have a consistent identity other than Hurt. The guards were up and down, which is understandable. Williams emerged which was nice, and Moore improved. The freshman did show signs of being good. Hopefully by next year they will be consistent. We haven't shot the ball well in a while. The two freshman next year should improve our physicality, as we were a bit soft this year.

Reactions: jeffrey236
Never had a chance to develop an identity. Can’t have an identity if you don’t have consistency. It’s a prerequisite.

Shane Battier. A warrior, never took a play off, improved every year. And one of the best people around. The kind of guy every father wishes his daughter would marry.

"Warrior" is the expression I've thought of a lot this season. Coach K once said Lance Thomas was a Warrior. Almost every Duke team has had a Warrior. Singler, Grayson, Winslow, the Joneses, guys who would lay their lives on the line for Duke. Can't think of a guy who has consistently done that this year. I think Moore could develop that eventually.

I’ve been a fan since the late 70’s. I’ve been through all these wars and amazing moments as they happened. Mike Krzyzewski’s autograph adorns five items that I own, unfortunately I don’t know who Mike Krzyzewski is right now but I do believe what has transpired is his fault. Duke seems more interested these days in political activism and not sports. (More on that in a sec)

- who made the choice to bring in the team so late? Look at all the missed practice time.

- who canceled several critical non-conference games?

-who was making comments suggesting it should all be canceled but that they would “plow through” anyhow when they realized it wouldn’t be?

-did Duke look prepared at all last night?

-Jalen Johnson mess just plain weird.

-kudos to unccheat for taking advantage of the chance to put some fans in the stands and add games to the schedule. Very smart unlike very dumb Duke.

Mike Krzyzewski thought that all of College Basketball would follow his stance last year and just shut down completely. And it didn’t happen and no one in the ACC other than the Duke women heard his pleas. His heart was not in it at all. The covid mess and having no fans in the stands and all the distancing, etc. frustrated him to a point that he didn’t think it was worth continuing. It has nothing to do with what kind of team great or crappy he thought they’d be, look how many close games they could have won! No, instead he continually applied duct tape to his own program and now it sits where it is. K thought the ACC would bow to it’s Legend, and people said “nah we’re still having a season.” Therefore his heart was never fully there. I argued more calls last few games than the Coach bothered too.

Duke wants everyone to know that it has decided it wants to be the most political school in the ACC. And K has jumped all in apparently. This has been off putting to a lot of fans who don’t have Smart phones glued to their face all day and who know what vinyl and cassettes are. I’ve never seen so many long time fans that I know become so disenchanted. How incredibly sad.

We may very well see the final season of Duke under K next year or maybe in the next two years and where does it go from there? Especially with a new A.D.

It isn’t just a team identity unrecognized. Do any of you recognize the identity of the entire school right now? 2020/2021 is the worst coaching job of Mike Krzyzewski’s career. Hands down. Both he and the Duke administration were idiots in how they’ve handled many things. The very same people who have always been so brilliant. Sad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Devilinside
I’ve been a fan since the late 70’s. I’ve been through all these wars and amazing moments as they happened. Mike Krzyzewski’s autograph adorns five items that I own, unfortunately I don’t know who Mike Krzyzewski is right now but I do believe what has transpired is his fault. Duke seems more interested these days in political activism and not sports. (More on that in a sec)

- who made the choice to bring in the team so late? Look at all the missed practice time.

-who was making comments suggesting it should all be canceled but that they would “plow through” anyhow when they realized it wouldn’t be?

-kudos to unccheat for taking advantage of the chance to put some fans in the stands and add games to the schedule. Very smart unlike very dumb Duke.

Mike Krzyzewski thought that all of College Basketball would follow his stance last year and just shut down completely. And guess what? didn’t happen and no one in the ACC other than the Duke women heard his pleas. His heart was not in it at all. The covid mess and having no fans in the stands and all the distancing, etc. frustrated him to a point that he didn’t think it was worth continuing. It has nothing to do with what kind of team great or crappy he thought they’d be, look how many close games they could have won? No, instead he continually applied duck tape to his own program and now it sits where it is. K thought the ACC would bow to it’s Legend, and people said “nah we’re still having a season.” Therefore his heart was never fully there. I argued more calls last few games than the Coach bothered too.

Duke wants everyone to know that it has decided it wants to be the most political school in the ACC. And K has jumped all in apparently. This has been off putting to a lot of fans who don’t have Smart phones glued to their face all day and who know what vinyl and cassettes are. I’ve never seen so many long time fans that I know become so disenchanted. How incredibly sad.

We may very well see the final season of Duke under K next year or maybe in the next two years and where does it go from there? Especially with a new A.D.

It isn’t just a team identity unrecognized. Do any of you recognize the identity of the entire school right now? 2020/2021 is the worst coaching job of Mike Krzyzewski’s career. Hands down. Both he and the Duke administration were idiots in how they’ve handled many things. The very same people who have always been so brilliant. Sad.
On the other hand, it’s just a game. Not really important in the grand scheme of things.

Calling them idiots is a bit harsh. That said, it didn't seem like coach's heart was in it this season. Not that I blame him, but saying we probably shouldn't be playing the season was probably the wrong message to send to a young team. Go all in or cancel the season like the women did. We did gain experience this year if nothing else. if we learn and grow we can be better next year but it will not be automatic. We will improve but we will have to see how much. Sorry to be so negative but we are regressing at the worst possible time.

Last edited:

Mike Krzyzewski thought that all of College Basketball would follow his stance last year and just shut down completely. And guess what? didn’t happen and no one in the ACC other than the Duke women heard his pleas. His heart was not in it at all. The covid mess and having no fans in the stands and all the distancing, etc. frustrated him to a point that he didn’t think it was worth continuing. It has nothing to do with what kind of team great or crappy he thought they’d be, look how many close games they could have won? No, instead he continually applied duck tape to his own program and now it sits where it is. K thought the ACC would bow to it’s Legend, and people said “nah we’re still having a season.” Therefore his heart was never fully there. I argued more calls last few games than the Coach bothered too.

But how do you really feel?

Mike Krzyzewski thought that all of College Basketball would follow his stance last year and just shut down completely. And it didn’t happen and no one in the ACC other than the Duke women heard his pleas. His heart was not in it at all. The covid mess and having no fans in the stands and all the distancing, etc. frustrated him to a point that he didn’t think it was worth continuing. It has nothing to do with what kind of team great or crappy he thought they’d be, look how many close games they could have won! No, instead he continually applied duct tape to his own program and now it sits where it is. K thought the ACC would bow to it’s Legend, and people said “nah we’re still having a season.” Therefore his heart was never fully there. I argued more calls last few games than the Coach bothered too.

Most political school in the ACC? Please explain and do take your time, sir.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30

K releases one three minute long video and now we're the most political school in the ACC? C'mon man, most people are a bit disenchanted with college bball this season, it's far from being exclusive to Duke fans. And it's pretty easy to see why, a lot of bad shit has happened in the past year and we aren't close to being done.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Curious who is your favorite player.Mine is Bobby Verga
wow, cant pick just one. Heyman, from way back, I really saw Verga a lot when he played for the Cougars, liked him a lot. Mullins, Banks, these are just the oldies. There just have been way to many to pick just one. Can I get by with just picking my favorite coach??

Reactions: topps coach
Danny Meagher never gets enough love. He got every ounce of talent out of his bruiser-like body. And, he always got in foul trouble and was always able to stay in the game.

K releases one three minute long video and now we're the most political school in the ACC? C'mon man, most people are a bit disenchanted with college bball this season, it's far from being exclusive to Duke fans. And it's pretty easy to see why, a lot of bad shit has happened in the past year and we aren't close to being done.

well it looks like we’re done. The biggest wuss in college basketball. I am disgusted! I have never said anything like this in the 40 years I have been a fan. You all Mark my words recruiting will be destroyed. Everybody will be using it against Duke that Duke is going to pull out of games, Duke will have no fans in the stands, etc.

I have been a solid Duke basketball fan since just a few seasons before the first national championship teams in the early 1990's. Each and every individual team in those years had had a unique identity, a persona, a magnetic star or two (or three), that stimulated a sense of optimism. This year's team is the only that I can't seem to connect with as a fan. I ask myself, is it COVID, or am i still having a post Zion hangover? Whatever "it "is, as a fan, its absence is disconcerting. What is the identity of this team, anyway?

Anyone else feelin this way?
Kentucky fans feel the same way. The reason is because they're losing and not showing signs of turning the corner. Plain and simple. Winning cures everything.

wow, cant pick just one. Heyman, from way back, I really saw Verga a lot when he played for the Cougars, liked him a lot. Mullins, Banks, these are just the oldies. There just have been way to many to pick just one. Can I get by with just picking my favorite coach??
Never saw Verga in person while at Duke but saw every game with the Cougars when they played in Charlotte

Reactions: hart2chesson
well it looks like we’re done. The biggest wuss in college basketball. I am disgusted! I have never said anything like this in the 40 years I have been a fan. You all Mark my words recruiting will be destroyed. Everybody will be using it against Duke that Duke is going to pull out of games, Duke will have no fans in the stands, etc.
You really a Duke fan?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT