ADVERTISEMENT

I have no idea as to why we haven't dicussed this before.

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
Coach K can't coach forever so who are the leading candidates to replace him? I have a few in mind. Who do you think is next. I think it could still be Jeff Capel. Just because he went to Pitt. doesn't mean anything. Mike Bray may want a shot although his age may keep him from getting the job. Brad Stevens. Outside the family no better man. Gonna be hard to get him from the Celtics but you never know. Johnny Dawkins, Tommy Amaker, Quinn Snyder, Chris Collins, Wojo, Bobby Hurley, (watch Hurley he may be the man. Then you Jon Scheyer , Nate James, Nolan Smith, Shane Battier, Grant Hill, I've heard our A.D.'s son being named since he's doing such a job at Fla. Talking about knowing someone on the inside but I doubt he wants his dad telling him what to do. No son likes that. Can just see it now. "Son you got to start playing some zone." "I know dad." Depending on how long Coach K stays it could be someone we don't even know about that he will coach someday in the future at Duke. Did I mention Jay Bilas, Laettner or Jay Williams? OFC

Brad Stevens or Mike White would be my picks outside the Duke family! I guess Mike White might technically be in the Duke family depending on how one looks at things.

Last edited:
Brad Stevens or Mike White would be my picks outside the Duke family! I guess Mike White might technically be in the Duke family depending on how one looks at things.

In the realm of possibility, Bobby Hurley would be my pick.
I'd love Stevens, but when K retires the Celts are likely to be in the middle of a near decade long run of title contention. Why would anyone leave that situation?

Reactions: HonkeyT
In the realm of possibility, Bobby Hurley would be my pick.
I'd love Stevens, but when K retires the Celts are likely to be in the middle of a near decade long run of title contention. Why would anyone leave that situation?
True, but Stevens has said on many occasions that if the Duke or unc job came available, he would seriously look into it. I don’t follow NBA other than watching the Celtics lately to keep up with Tatum and Kyrie, because I was happy for Tatum and the outstanding year he had and I wanted to see how Kyrie fit into the Celtics system. Also, this isn’t a knock on the Celtics at all, but as long as Golden State keeps doing what their doing, I don’t think there is any team in the foreseeable future that would be able to beat them in a seven game series and Golden State does not look to be letting up.

True, but Stevens has said on many occasions that if the Duke or unc job came available, he would seriously look into it. I don’t follow NBA other than watching the Celtics lately to keep up with Tatum and Kyrie, because I was happy for Tatum and the outstanding year he had and I wanted to see how Kyrie fit into the Celtics system. Also, this isn’t a knock on the Celtics at all, but as long as Golden State keeps doing what their doing, I don’t think there is any team in the foreseeable future that would be able to beat them in a seven game series and Golden State does not look to be letting up.

I suspect there is, or WAS, genuine interest in Duke, UNC, or any (incredibly small) number of legacy college hoops programs. And if he'd been muddling along in the NBA, he might seriously have considered those programs.
I doubt whether or not that is currently the case.
He won't ever publicly say otherwise, because openings at Duke, UNC, or whomever will be great chances to get a pay increase from a franchise that loves him.

Reactions: tw3301
Brad Stevens isn’t leaving the Celtics no time soon. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him get an extension or new contract soon.

He would be a good fit but I don’t see it.

My pick would be someone from the Duke family. I can see scheyer after he gets a head coaching job being a candidate as well.

I’d like to see Capel return for 2-3 seasons, and us getting some great recruits, only to underperform, opening the door for JJ Redick to come in and take over.

Reactions: dbav
I’d like to see Capel return for 2-3 seasons, and us getting some great recruits, only to underperform, opening the door for JJ Redick to come in and take over.
Was listening to one of Redicks podcasts and i think he said when he was done playing he would like to go to every duke game haha. Doubt we will see him jump into college coaching but i could see him doing an nba front office role.

Was listening to one of Redicks podcasts and i think he said when he was done playing he would like to go to every duke game haha. Doubt we will see him jump into college coaching but i could see him doing an nba front office role.

Agreed. Plus, I could also see him opening one of those skills academies that focuses on shooting, and getting open to shoot. He'd make great money for what would be, essentially, a summer only job. And consult for various teams along the way.

Haven’t we discussed this before ? Haha I think it will be Capel baring a Pitt meltdown. I want it to be Brad, but that’s looking slim baring a Celtics meltdown, or a championship and then the team declines after or something...Then Ks even got to coach that long for one of those things to happen ! A whole lots got to go in Dukes favor for Brad..like everything ,,perfect timing ..etc...I can dream. I think the longer K coaches the chances improve though..possibly slightly ..Brads just in to good of a situation right now. Obviously everybody already knows this. We need a perfect storm! (for the people pulling for Brad)

You never fail to surprise hahahah

No idea who I'd like to see as the next coach. Hard imagining anyone over there not named K. Sure he's frustrating to watch sometimes, he's hard headed, but one of the best ever.
Tough job to be the man replacing the man. Maybe Scheyer down the road? Capel possibly as well.

I guess it depends on how long Coach K stays. As much as he says he has no time table, at his age anything can happen.

I don't see Capel coming back. I think he left because he realized his opportunity passed. Dawkins and Amaker will be too old. Hurley may be too emotional on the sideline for a school like Duke.

I'm seeing Wojo, Collins or, if Scheyer leaves and gets some experience on his own, then Scheyer would be the front runner. Scheyer is highly regarded by people outside of Duke and seems to be moving up pretty quickly compared to others who came before him.

I guess it depends on how long Coach K stays. As much as he says he has no time table, at his age anything can happen.

I don't see Capel coming back. I think he left because he realized his opportunity passed. Dawkins and Amaker will be too old. Hurley may be too emotional on the sideline for a school like Duke.

I'm seeing Wojo, Collins or, if Scheyer leaves and gets some experience on his own, then Scheyer would be the front runner. Scheyer is highly regarded by people outside of Duke and seems to be moving up pretty quickly compared to others who came before him.

If you think Hurley would be too emotional, then you don't remember K's early years, when he was, ah, more DEMONSTRATIVE on the side line. I'd love to get Bobby back, and the PTB at Duke would probably jump all over it. He's been successful at every stop in college, and will probably get ASU back to consistent tourney appearances soon. Given his coaching pedigree, and how that would help in recruiting the richest talent pools in America, I think he'd be a slam dunk.

Reactions: tw3301
What about Billy Donovan? Obviously outside Duke family, but he might be a good candidate if Duke were to indeed go outside the Duke family.

One group that we haven't mentioned is a poster from this board. Several have made suggestions as to be a better team. I think Duke should look into some of these candidates or when the time comes just go apply. :D OFC

One group that we haven't mentioned is a poster from this board. Several have made suggestions as to be a better team. I think Duke should look into some of these candidates or when the time comes just go apply. :D OFC
Oh there’s a couple on here that feel they could step right in. Heck, they would even run the pick n roll. No one has ever run that before and there’s no defense for it.

Reactions: tw3301 and skysdad
I don't see Capel coming back. I think he left because he realized his opportunity passed.
I agree with this Liftee. I still think however, it will be Ammaker. I think coaching at a school like Harvard is a nice blend for Duke-and he's built a winner at not the easiest place to win.

OFC

Steph Curry is 30, KD is about to turn 30. Draymond and Klay are both 28. Iguodola is 34, Livinston is 32.

Kyrie is 26 (assuming he stays in Boston), Heyward is 28, Tatum is 20, Brown is 21. Of their major players, only Horford is "old" at 32. Boston's window is just now opening. When Tatum and Brown reach their prime, the Warriors will be old.

Reactions: skysdad
Steph Curry is 30, KD is about to turn 30. Draymond and Klay are both 28. Iguodola is 34, Livinston is 32.

Kyrie is 26 (assuming he stays in Boston), Heyward is 28, Tatum is 20, Brown is 21. Of their major players, only Horford is "old" at 32. Boston's window is just now opening. When Tatum and Brown reach their prime, the Warriors will be old.

With a likely top 5 pick in next year's draft.

1a) Stevens (Wouldn't Duke be a better job?) This guy isn't your typical coach... started out in the business world, so probably is a great leader of men... and may take a pay cut for a job where he felt he could most impact kids' lives... who knows...
Assuming it isn't him (who I would be fine with)

I have heard Kevin White wants to name Mike White the next HC

I would think K would have the last say but... who knows.

If not, in order of who (in Duke family it would be)
a) Capel
b) Amaker
c) Wojo
d) Collins
e) Reddick (awesome worker/role model for how hard you have to work)
e) Dawkins (Johnny...)
f) Hurley

This is the order I think they will fall... I would prefer Wojo over Amaker, even though I love them both... I know K has high raise for Amaker as a leader, even when he was his point guard, he saw Just love Wojo's fire. Collins has fire too... I would prefer JD over Collins (because he was my original favorite player and maybe my co-favorite to Grant Hill, but JD hasn't proven his coaching ability/ability to build a program.

I would be fine with any of the above... I know K has said he will not choose his successor... but I personally think he should. Who better?? I don't think Kevin White should allow his nepotism to override who the GOAT thinks would most likely continue the standards of excellence set forth by K.

Would LOVE to see Grant Hill, but I just think he is happy with what he is doing and wants to have as much family/free time as he can after having spent time away playing in the NBA. Coaching is just very demanding...

No idea who I'd like to see as the next coach. Hard imagining anyone over there not named K. Sure he's frustrating to watch sometimes, he's hard headed, but one of the best ever.
Tough job to be the man replacing the man. Maybe Scheyer down the road? Capel possibly as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT