ADVERTISEMENT

Hurley

pisgah101

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Dec 26, 2005
Gotta get another thread up. He's going bananas right now.. he has possibly the greatest pedigree of any coach of all-time. Have maybe the best high school coach off all-time as a dad, play for the best basketball coach of all time in college. And even get to play for Bob Knight(blue chips baby)

I say all this to say.. could he be leapfrogging all the people we expect to be the next coach? Or could he be the man that follows the man if Capel should fail? He's on track right now to do better than any of the guys we usually list. I have a feeling he'll be a homerun hire one day and that he might be too good to pass up in 3-4-5 year

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
I think it’s a bit hasty to say he would be good for Duke. No doubt it’s possible and would be a hell of a story, but let’s see how it goes the next few years.

I think it's Capel job at this point, unless something unforeseen strikes
But Bobby is a great prospect, and I wouldn't mind seeing him on the Duke sideline sometime in the future...I mean in like 10 years or so...when K retires.:)

OFC

Reactions: hart2chesson
I think it's Capel job at this point, unless something unforeseen strikes
But Bobby is a great prospect, and I wouldn't mind seeing him on the Duke sideline sometime in the future...I mean in like 10 years or so...when K retires.:)

OFC
K will just turn into pure energy at some point and infuse Cameron with his constant guidance and the Force, like Obi Wan Kenobi.

I’m in the minority I guess. I don’t think Hurley will ever want to be the next coach at Duke. I think he does his own thing at his own program.

He already has a legacy to follow( that being his father) . I like what he’s doing and him, Wojo, Collins,Amaker, Dawkins all are on the end of the list ( just because what they are doing at their own programs now).

Not that I wouldn’t want him if he took it when K stepped away.

Gotta get another thread up. He's going bananas right now.. he has possibly the greatest pedigree of any coach of all-time. Have maybe the best high school coach off all-time as a dad, play for the best basketball coach of all time in college. And even get to play for Bob Knight(blue chips baby)

I say all this to say.. could he be leapfrogging all the people we expect to be the next coach? Or could he be the man that follows the man if Capel should fail? He's on track right now to do better than any of the guys we usually list. I have a feeling he'll be a homerun hire one day and that he might be too good to pass up in 3-4-5 year
I would love to see Hurley take over in a few more years,after K retires with a couple more titles to his name, I still think Capel has the inside track,but Hurley's gotta be turning some heads at Duke

People are very recency biased right now. That scares me because whoever has the job after K needs everyone’s full support. K often says if he got the job like he did years ago in today’s day in age he wouldn’t have lasted three years at duke. Look what we might have missed out on. Capel coaches a handful of games last year and people are already discounting him or saying does not deserve the job. I think it was 7 games! We have got to get a grip- the first two years at ASU, Bobby won 15 games each. He’s done a great job this year. Chris did a great job at NW last year now they’re struggling. A lot of folks last year wanted him bc of the success he was having. We have to give whoever is next and i firmly believe it is Jeff, a chance.

Reactions: dukiejay and dbav
People are very recency biased right now. That scares me because whoever has the job after K needs everyone’s full support. K often says if he got the job like he did years ago in today’s day in age he wouldn’t have lasted three years at duke. Look what we might have missed out on. Capel coaches a handful of games last year and people are already discounting him or saying does not deserve the job. I think it was 7 games! We have got to get a grip- the first two years at ASU, Bobby won 15 games each. He’s done a great job this year. Chris did a great job at NW last year now they’re struggling. A lot of folks last year wanted him bc of the success he was having. We have to give whoever is next and i firmly believe it is Jeff, a chance.

I agree completely. It should be Jeff (unless some miracle and Stevens is an option) but if Hurley trajectory takes him to winning the Pac12 and a few deep runs and maybe a final four or two it might be interesting. I'm all for capel right now though I think he is deff the best option

Reactions: timo0402
I agree completely. It should be Jeff (unless some miracle and Stevens is an option) but if Hurley trajectory takes him to winning the Pac12 and a few deep runs and maybe a final four or two it might be interesting. I'm all for capel right now though I think he is deff the best option
If Hurley gets ASU to the Final 4 or wins it all in the next 3 years, I'd say he'd be the fan choice, and likely the choice of many Duke boosters. I'll be honest. I think Capel is the perfect associate head coach, but a pretty flawed head coach. He should get paid a ton as our associate because of the value he brings, but I am not optimistic about him as a program manager.

That said, I won't be too upset if they promote him. At least there would be some continuity.

Last edited:
I also think age will be a factor. Duke likes continuity. Not saying the next coach needs to stay 40 years but a coach in his 50s might be a caretaker and bridge to the next coach.

I also think age will be a factor. Duke likes continuity. Not saying the next coach needs to stay 40 years but a coach in his 50s might be a caretaker and bridge to the next coach.
Think all of our candidates are around the same age. Capel, Collins, Bobby are within 5 years of each other.

25152415_10209111546139364_1025461204486722626_n.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT