ADVERTISEMENT

How Duke and Mike Krzyzewski are winning at Kentucky's one-and-done game

If a player is forced by NCAA to sit out games, he is by definition ineligible for competition in said games. So all the other schools who had a player enroll did have to deal with a penalty for that player's violations except Duke. Having players kept out of competition is a punishment--all the other schools received except for Duke.

You're looking for something that isn't there, though. Corey Maggette was no longer an amateur athlete. Had he been, he'd have faced suspension and lost games too. The punishments were on the players....not the schools. Duke played the entire season without Maggette instead of three games.

I'll just paste a little of the linked story to remind you all that the rest of the nation and respected journalists don't buy the myth of Duke being above the fray.

UK and UNC fans don't define "the rest of the nation", and calling Greg Doyel a "respected" journalist doesn't help your credibility. Doyel is still steaming at K for not collaborating on a book deal with him. Since that time, Doyel has went out of his way to try and poke holes in Duke. I've worked in the media for over 17 years....and a journalist with an axe to grind over a personal vendetta is the worst kind of journalist out there.

The Corey Maggette case is moot. Give it up. If I was so much against Duke I could find better than that. It's lazy man's work.

Calling Doyel a "journalist" is quite a stretch I think.

Let's start with the Corey Maggette situation. The NCAA's protocol on amateurism doesn't all fall under one umbrella. That's what people who can't read, don't want to read, or simply don't want to accept as reality.

So let's ask this question....did Corey Maggette accept money/benefits from Myron Piggie? Yes, he did. Did JaRon Rush, Kareem Rush, Korleone Young and Andre Williams also accept benefits from Piggie? Yes, they did.

Under the NCAA umbrella of amateurism, this doesn't mean those said players are ineligible to compete in the NCAA. The NCAA ruled on all of the players behalf (Korleone Young didn't really matter because he entered the draft out of high school) that while they accepted the benefits, none of the schools they attended knew about or were in any way involved in the process.

So what happened was this.....none of the schools (Note: NONE) for which those players matriculated at in college were cited for any wrongdoing. None of the schools had wins or season's vacated. What happened is that JaRon Rush was forced to sit out games at UCLA, Kareem Rush at Mizzou and Andre Williams at Oklahoma State. By the time of the ruling, both Maggette and Young were in the NBA. Had they still been in college, both would have been forced to sit out a number of games as punishment, like their counterparts, per the NCAA.

None of that is made up. It's fact. Can the amateurism rules by the NCAA be questioned? Of course. But that's not the argument. You're implying, and many fools just like you too, that Duke somehow benefited from the situation that other schools would not have. Again....that's not true. No schools --- not a single one --- were punished.

And for the record....I'm not giving reasons why Duke and K shouldn't have been charged with wrongdoing. Those are facts. There's a difference.

The Lance Thomas situation is a bit murkier, but there's still nothing that suggests one way or the other that Duke was involved in any wrongdoing.

Also, there is no cover-up by Duke. Lance Thomas, by his choice, has not spoken on the matter. And he doesn't have to. Also, because he doesn't there's nothing Duke can do about it.

What we do know is that Lance Thomas purchased some jewelry. We also know that Lance's mom held a corporate job for a number of years in New Jersey and the family, while not maybe "well off" was very successful.

As for K being the NCAA's poster child I'll just say this....they could do much worse, and not a whole lot better. Coach K is the face of college basketball and USA basketball. He's won five national championships. Been to 12 Final Fours. His model of success in the sport is unparalleled.

So yeah, he is kind of the poster child. But it's not for the reasons you think. It's because he's successful, respected and the best as what he does. His success drives a lot of people crazy. And we all know, even dumb people, that attacking his accomplishments makes them look foolish. So what's the next best thing to do? Attack his character. But you know what, that's not a winnable fight either.

UNC and UK fans think he's egotistical, fakes back injuries, is scared to play teams on the road, has the refs in his back pocket, looks like a rat, etc., etc., etc.

Now let me ask you this....with all of his accomplishments (listed numerous times) and achievements, and on the other side of the coin some of the tremendous input I just shared of UNC and UK fans.....who exactly looks and appears to be a little delusional and out of touch with reality? You and I both know the answer.
This fine post by our esteemed leader should be pinned to the top and before any non Duke fan attempts to log on to our outstanding board, a small square box requiring a check mark should be applicable for checking before said non Duke fan is allowed to post. Violation of saying stupid things such as challenging our Duke program should lead to an electrical current that will enter new posters body and computer instantly destroying both.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT