ADVERTISEMENT

Henry Coleman is the perfect small ball center option

Lonnie Baxter was the consensus no. 80 recruit in the prep class of 1998. He also played at Maryland at around 265 pounds. He was a load inside but not especially explosive. I'm not sure he's the best comparison for Coleman.

Thanks Jim. I totally agree on the straight up comparison of Baxter and Coleman. Baxter way heavier and Coleman quicker.

I was using Baxter more along the mindset of what is possible in the college game from a 6-8 center. Hopefully, Coleman's combination of strength and athleticism could approximate Baxter's advantage gained from his less refined, but heavier bulk. The way I see it, Coleman would also need to utilise a very high level of awareness/savvy that is usually associated with less explosive athletes like Baxter who dominate in spite of less "physical " ability.

@df64 I didn't mean any disrespect. I just see Coleman as more of a Battier than a Brand. Baxter had shoulders like an aircraft carrier and long arms as well.

Reactions: bobcrane14
I’m not expecting much from him this year to be honest. In a couple years he could be a great leader and solid contributor. But hey, he could surprise me!
Can you give me your email addy? There is an issue I would like to raise but not through these posts.

I know this is 2020, but if Henry can provide the same production as Lonnie then Duke will be just fine.

It's not so much being undersized as much as how you use your size.

Reactions: geddoughton23
Certainly no offense taken by me Chris. However imperfect any comparisons to Baxter may be, if nothing else they are a testament to how good Baxter was and how much of a thorn in our side he was. Additionally, most fans appreciate the guys like Baxter who get the most out of their abilities.
If Coleman has any Battier traits, we would, of course, be thrilled with that too. Love to hear those hard work, tough D, rebounding descriptions for any of our recruits.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT