ADVERTISEMENT

Henry Coleman is the perfect small ball center option

Maybe. He's a legit 240 6-7 or 6-8. Depends on how ready he is. Hopefully he won't be a three fouls in 3 minutes guy. Always good to have options. he certainly will be eventually.

Last edited:
He's much bigger than Jefferson was as a freshman but Jefferson was higher rated.

I've never seen him play. I think it is smart to recruit Centers and Point Guards who aren't tall enough to get drafted after only one season. Garrison Brooks at UNC is a good example. He's listed at 6'9", but I think that he is closer to 6'7"

Reactions: christophero
Coleman is the one player that is least known partly because of ranking but he was also listed as a PF at 6-7 210 (now 6-8 240+).

If Coleman ends up being our Stanley this year this team could be special.
I'm very excited for Coleman, it's obvious he's working on his body and is an 18 year old man, however I don't see him giving Duke much this year unless we have some injuries.

I think Brakefield has a good chance to be this years Stanley, though I'd even bet against that. Stanley outperformed his ranking by so much that it's rare, won't be seeing something like that every year.

Williams is much bigger(taller) than Coleman. Coleman is solidly built but I think people are expecting a Boozer type, where he strikes me more as a freshman Battier/Nate James/Jefferson type. He does look like a 4 year guy, which I am very excited about.

Reactions: jwill133
Brakefield, much like Stanley, was ranked much higher when he was younger as a Fr/Spoh in HS than as a Sr. Dont get it wrong, Brakefield is very skilled especially as a combo forward with his size and athleticism. Although he may not be known as the shooter Hurt is, Brakefield will be a better defender and rebounder as well as a better ball handler while being comparable in wt/ht to Hurt.

If Brakefield does have a Stanley type year, I wouldn't be shocked

I strongly suspect that Brakefield is going to be a really good player for Duke.

Eventually.

But next year? There are only 200 player-minutes to go around, 80 of those at the forward spots. He'll be competing against Johnson, Hurt, Baker, Coleman, some Moore at the 3. Unless he comes in as an All-ACC level player or someone significantly under-achieves, I'm not sure how he gets enough PT to have a Stanley-like impact as a freshman.

I agree i don’t see or think it’s fair to expect a Stanley type trajectory in his first season, but i do think he will have the chance to come up and make big impacts during the season.! He also can be a guy who has a big sophomore year.

I don't expect much from Coleman this season. That said, he's built like a truck and seems to be working on his jumper. Anything he gives us is a plus this year, but I'm excited to see how he progresses.

If everyone returns Williams, Brakefield, Coleman and Baker are a heck of a frontcourt rotation. All we would need is a back up center.

Keep in mind that Duke already has a commitment from a highly-regarded 6-7, 200-pound wing and is the perceived leader for an even more highly-regarded 6-9 forward. Add Griffin and maybe Baldwin to this group and it's really impressive.

Agree on the need for another center, two if Williams is OAD, which is a very real possibility.

When I first saw tape of Henry playing I felt like I was watching a super high motor Semi Ojeyele.

6’8 240 Built like a linebacker. I think Williams and Tapé will get their looks at the C position but I really like what Colemen will bring to Duke-I just hope he’s willing to wait his turn some if mins aren’t there right away.

Really hope we get at least 2 years from Colemen and Brakefield. Both are very talented.

When people talk about being this years Stanley-I think that one has DJ written all over it.

Semi is a good comp. Semi took a while to adjust to the college game, as he was a bit 3 ball happy and strangely seemed to not like going inside. This changed at SMU.
What i always love about the Semi situation is that when he got to SMU he finally did what the duke Coaches were imploring him to do when he was here. He didn’t just hang out on the perimeter And he used that strong as an ox body and mixed it up.

What i always love about the Semi situation is that when he got to SMU he finally did what the duke Coaches were imploring him to do when he was here. He didn’t just hang out on the perimeter And he used that strong as an ox body and mixed it up.

and didnt he officially play a year and half later?

Shelden Wlliams was maybe 6'8". It can be done but you have to be very special.

Sheldon was a natural c/pf that understood his role in the paint. He never tried to do anything other than control the painted area.

Does Henry want to step out and shoot the 3pt? Is he comfortable playing near the basket only?

Last edited:
Reactions: DukeNation12
Semi is a good comp. Semi took a while to adjust to the college game, as he was a bit 3 ball happy and strangely seemed to not like going inside. This changed at SMU.

Semi needed that redshirt year. Whether it was at Duke or SMU, that year to redshirt matured his game.

It will be interesting to watch. Hurt and Johnson will get big minutes up front, with Williams, Tape, Coleman and Brakefield and Baker getting situational minutes. Williams/Tape if we need size, Coleman for defense, Brakefield/Baker for offense. A lot of guys to keep happy, but you always want depth.

There’s also a picture floating around with Henry with guys like Bacot and Mcormick from Kansas and Colemen definitely looks like he has a college ready body...I’d say the self reporting of 6’8 240 is pretty right on.

He looked like a good prospect in the video that I watched. He also looked short enough not to be on the NBA radar. An ideal combination

Coleman looks like he could possibly be a small Big Man in the mold of PJ Tucker who played at Raleigh Enloe, University of Texas and the Houston Rockets

Obviously Baxter like production would be an extremely pleasant surprise at the optimistic end of the spectrum.

That said, Baxter dominated as a 6-8 center and I dont remember him being a marquee recruit. Anyone know where he was ranked?

I'm too lazy and inept to find the exact rating. I remember that Baxter was considered a very significant recruit for Maryland. He was a 4*. I seem to remember about #65 due to lack of speed and being 6'8"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT