ADVERTISEMENT

Has anyone given any thought to this.

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
Coach K is not going to coach forever. I'd like to know who does the board think will be the next Duke basketball coach. I can remember way back when Duke was searching for a new coach in the early 80's and I among other Duke fans were guessing who it would be. Nobody picked Coach K. Heck I didn't even know who he was. Now who do you think will be our next coach. I think it might be Jeff Capel. Or maybe Bobby Hurley or Wojo. It could be Chris Collins or even Tommy Amaker. He's not coaching but how about Shane Battier or even Grant Hill. What about Jon Scheyer? Out of the family there is Brad Stevens. If Duke does go outside the box he's our man. What is the boards thoughts. Who else could be the next Duke basketball coach. OFC

Unless something odd happens, I see it being Capel. He's great at recruiting and knows the game. I just hope he's picking up things from K thst aren't about X's and O's. Scheyer in time will be a good coach as well.
Either way it's hard being the man to replace "The Man."

Jeff Capel. I think he would have taken another opportunity by now if he weren’t in line.

It’s my belief Duke wants to transition to someone within the program...not just someone from the family tree. I’m almost certain it won’t be someone outside the family. I know that’s not a popular opinion among some, but I feel it’s right....at least initially.

It seems a pretty good bet that Jeff Capel is being groomed for taking over the HC job when K steps down. I don't envy him though, K is a tough act to follow.

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
HOF Coach Roy Williams.

When pigs fly...or something like that.

RoyWilliamsgonePigWild.gif

OFC

I don't know why this board hasn't discussed it before. It is of high priority. OFC

Reactions: smashmouth5
I don't know why this board hasn't discussed it before. It is of high priority. OFC
What Sky, a coach after K? It's because we don't want to think about it. We know it's coming one day, and even though we may complain sometimes about him, man there's nobody like him. A freaking legend.

Then there's the list of us DI posters that think we should be the next Duke coach.:D OFC

Coach K is not going to coach forever. I'd like to know who does the board think will be the next Duke basketball coach. I can remember way back when Duke was searching for a new coach in the early 80's and I among other Duke fans were guessing who it would be. Nobody picked Coach K. Heck I didn't even know who he was. Now who do you think will be our next coach. I think it might be Jeff Capel. Or maybe Bobby Hurley or Wojo. It could be Chris Collins or even Tommy Amaker. He's not coaching but how about Shane Battier or even Grant Hill. What about Jon Scheyer? Out of the family there is Brad Stevens. If Duke does go outside the box he's our man. What is the boards thoughts. Who else could be the next Duke basketball coach. OFC
Brad Stevens
Jon Scheyer

In-House: Capel, Wojo, Collins, Hurley, Johnny D, Amaker, Hill, Battier, or Laettner. Outside the Box: Stevens, Shaka Smart, Mike Brey (he’s done real well with Notre Dame).

Ideally I would prefer Brad Stevens and for Capel to remain in his present position.

My second choice would be Chris Collins and Capel remain in his present position.

Chris has done an excellent job at Northwestern. He has made Wildcat basketball relevant. Created fan enthusiasm and they are having major facilty upgrades. He is from Chicago and that area is a fertile area for recruiting.

He may have built something that he might not want to leave. Why replace a legend when you can be the legend? Just saying.

Imo K is year to year.Seventy years old man may just say that he doesn't want to do it anymore.Hope that it is far in the future

Jeff Capel. I think he would have taken another opportunity by now if he weren’t in line.

It’s my belief Duke wants to transition to someone within the program...not just someone from the family tree. I’m almost certain it won’t be someone outside the family. I know that’s not a popular opinion among some, but I feel it’s right....at least initially.
Capel appears to be a monster recruiter but if I couldn’t have Brad Stevens, give me Collins. What he is doing at Northwestern is impressive. And from what I’ve heard, he wants to stay there and build them into a national brand much like K did with Duke.

K will go a minimum of 3 more seasons at duke that'll put at 73 years old and 40 seasons at Duke and his contract is up in 2020. Think he hangs it up after 2020 season unless he thinks he has a good chance at natty the 2021 season

I have been watching this board for 14 years or so. Since 2010, everyone has said Brad Stevens would be a wonderful choice. I agree and he has been my top choice for 7 years now. But I don't see how it could possibly be anyone but Capel at this point. He is already there and is a pretty good recruiter. I don't think Hurley would be the choice at all given his lack of success at ASU (my alma mater). I for one do not see the need for a "Duke" guy. Whoever is the best coach, we should go after him. If Bill Self was 10 years younger, I would go after him too.

I think it depends if it's 1 year or 4 years.

1 year, Capel. But I suspect if it goes 3 or more years, one of the "alums" will have coached long enough to come back in, such as Wojo, Hurley or Collins. My bet is Collins.

I also think Scheyer is going to move up to first assistant and wouldn't be surprised if he gets an offer somewhere (maybe in the Chicago area) in the next few years and could eventually pass them all. That's what I think of him.

This has been a great thread. Don't know why we haven't had a thread about it before. I do think it will be one of the people we have mentioned though. OFC

If we lose a game early on, there's a couple poasters on here that will nominate themselves to be next coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT