ADVERTISEMENT

Grayson Allen Legacy

hallside

All Conference
Sep 18, 2005
I saw tonight that Tre Jones was making his decision on Sunday and saw the edit of him wearing #3. That made me wonder if Grayson had an AA year, and somehow we make it to the FF and win... #3 is in the rafters right?

I love Grayson, but to have his jersey hanging with Laettner, Hurley, Hill, Battier, Jay Will,....No

Belle Knox has a better chance to pass as a virgin than Grayson allen does to have his jersey in the rafters. No disrespect to him as he helped you guys win a title as is a solid team player. You all have had too many great players play there that deserve it over him.

Two titles and all American is hard to argue.....I just don't see him the same as the other guys named that are up there.....in all fairness to him, I probably will never see anyone there with those guys

Belle Knox has a better chance to pass as a virgin than Grayson allen does to have his jersey in the rafters. No disrespect to him as he helped you guys win a title as is a solid team player. You all have had too many great players play there that deserve it over him.

You're still dumb, and a dumbass.

If Allen is all American and wins NCAA tournament, yes he will get his jersey in rafters. Easy decision.

BINGO!

No issue here with them hanging that jersey. Especially if he comes out and produces a senior season without incident. Most kids would have walked away from their school after what GA has done and went through. Just coming back to face what he will most likely face and do it successfully warrants a retired jersey IMO. No doubt if he leads this team to a Natty they hang it in the rafters. I just want to see him have a senior season that we all fell in love with early in his career. Heart and fight and a will to win.

Reactions: christophero
Having your jersey in the rafters is not the only way to be a "Duke legend." Duke has probably the most strict jersey hanging requirements of any program in the country (which I think is very cool). With another solid year, Grayson will be in a great group that includes guys like Kyle Singler, Nolan Smith, Jon Scheyer, Mike Dunleavy, Carlos Boozer, Chris Carrawell, Chris Duhon, Tony Lang and other 3 or 4 year guys who's names ring out and how had a huge impact on the program despite no hanging jersey.

Reactions: christophero
Having your jersey in the rafters is not the only way to be a "Duke legend." Duke has probably the most strict jersey hanging requirements of any program in the country (which I think is very cool). With another solid year, Grayson will be in a great group that includes guys like Kyle Singler, Nolan Smith, Jon Scheyer, Mike Dunleavy, Carlos Boozer, Chris Carrawell, Chris Duhon, Tony Lang and other 3 or 4 year guys who's names ring out and how had a huge impact on the program despite no hanging jersey.
As much as I loved him I don't think Tony belongs in that group but I do agree that Grayson will find himself in this group you mentioned.

This subject has been discussed on this board and others many times. He needs a POY award. Doesn't matter, we love Grayson just like Spanarkel, Nolan, Kyle and the many others who were great Duke players and will never be forgotten.

Reactions: skysdad
NPOY and he hangs. All American first team and Title he has a good shot. Anything less and no chance.

Reactions: pisgah101
I don't know if Grayson will get his jersey retired or not, but he's one of my favorites, and a helluva ball player. He needs a little less than 600 points to get to 2,000 for his career. If he averages around 17 points a game and plays 35 games or so, he'll make it. That's pretty good company right there. He made some All American 2nd and 3rd teams last year under some very trying conditions. If he stays healthy this year I look for Grayson to explode, and when Grayson plays well, Duke does mighty fine. I think he's got a chance at the rafters if things break right, if not, he's still an elite player that I'll never forget.

OFC

The difference between Grayson and that list of multi-year players, is that nobody on that list was a 2x All-American. And nobody on that least won 2 National Titles. If Grayson is a 1st-Team AA and a National Champ in 2018, he is far, far, above all of those guys.

Grayson is one of my favorite Blue Devils ever so I would love to see him in the rafters, but I assume his on-court incidences would be taken into account when making the decision which obviously works against him.

Grayson is one of my favorite Blue Devils ever so I would love to see him in the rafters, but I assume his on-court incidences would be taken into account when making the decision which obviously works against him.

I don't believe Grayson's on court actions (blown way out of proportion) will have any effect on whether he gets in the rafters or not. If ESPN, or Tar Heel fans had a vote, yes, but Coach K doesn't let that nonsense affect him. Grayson's performance and/or awards will determine if he makes the rafters, unless of course he decapitates someone this year...then all bets are off.

OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac9192
I don't believe Grayson's on court actions (blown way out of proportion) will have any effect on whether he gets in the rafters or not. If ESPN, or Tar Heel fans had a vote, yes, but Coach K doesn't let that nonsense affect him. Grayson's performance and/or awards will determine if he makes the rafters, unless of course he decapitates someone this year...then all bets are off.

OFC
Agree with ya Dirt. I don't think his prior court actions will have anything to do with going to rafters, unless he does it again. He has been a great student, won a title, and if he has an all American season, pencil him down. He doesn't have to win another title, though I hope and pray he does

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Believe me, I completely agree with you guys in the fact that the trips were completely blown out of proportion. He's a great student and kid off the court. His trips were big enough of a deal to have Coach K strip him of his captaincy though. To my knowledge that's the first time Coach K has ever done that. I just think that will mean something when trying to place him in the rafters.

To yalls point though, I'm assuming Grayson will be given the title of captain again this season if he hasn't already. I expect a great season from him on and off the court. If that happens, I could definitely be wrong which I hope I am!

I don't know if Grayson will get his jersey retired or not, but he's one of my favorites, and a helluva ball player. He needs a little less than 600 points to get to 2,000 for his career. If he averages around 17 points a game and plays 35 games or so, he'll make it. That's pretty good company right there. He made some All American 2nd and 3rd teams last year under some very trying conditions. If he stays healthy this year I look for Grayson to explode, and when Grayson plays well, Duke does mighty fine. I think he's got a chance at the rafters if things break right, if not, he's still an elite player that I'll never forget.

OFC

I echo!!!!

OFC

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
I actually think Grayson and his very public incidents last year (suck an egg espn) work in his favor in regards to getting a rafter spot. If he bounces back from a year like his last to capture a title and an 1st team and/or npoy and leads our team as a captain should, showing the resiliency to do that I feel helps his cause. Just my two cents, and worth about that much to boot.

Reactions: dukehokie
If he is a first team AA and in the top 3 or 4 for NPOY and especially FF or national title this year, it'd be hard to deny. I would then put his career close to or on par with Sheldon Williams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT