ADVERTISEMENT

Grayson Allen - From an Indiana fan

Oct 1, 2001
First off, what a great start to the season for you guys. These freshmen, especially Bagley.. just, wow. Talk about living up to the hype.

Anyway, that's not the only reason I came to your board this morning. Like many college basketball fans I expect, I had a generally negative perception of Grayson Allen. Really good player, but I saw the "lowlights" and viewed him mostly in that light.

Last night, he showed me something to enhance my view of him in both respects player and person.

1. He's clearly more than just a "really good player." Some of those shots he hit, my word. If he hit those at home I would have been amazed. At one of the toughest road venues in basketball? Goodness. His athleticism. I knew it was better than most think, but he showed it off last night. This team of talented freshmen would be very good without Allen had he chose to start making money this year, but with him - they have a chance to be special (and are well on their way).

2. His demeanor last night I thought was fantastic. It appears he's learned from his past and grown from it which is always great to see and one of the reasons I think many of us love college hoops. The students (I'm sure he's used to this) gave him tons of grief. He took (and gave) a hard foul on a fast break. Reactions both times - perfect. And now I see his post game comments with nothing but great things to say about the experience he had. He's a leader now.

Anyway, I was impressed - and wanted to post it here for some reason. I hope last night gave us Hoosier fans a glimpse of what could be with Archie Miller as coach. Only time will tell, but it was a fun game that I really enjoyed despite the loss.

Thanks, PaperMario! Grayson is special. He has made mistakes in the past, but never to the degree of what he was accused, but the media used him as a whipping boy. That said, he's used that to make himself a better man, as well as a better basketball player.

Also, if your Hoosiers play with the same intensity as they displayed against Duke last night they will win a lot of games. Good luck.

OFC

Great comments! It's nice to have fans of other teams who can actually have unbiased conversations and opinions instead of the typical negatives. In my opinion , this Duke team is the best in the country, and IU gave them fits. Like Dirt said, if you play every game with the intensity you had last night, you will have a very good season.

Reactions: dbav
First off, what a great start to the season for you guys. These freshmen, especially Bagley.. just, wow. Talk about living up to the hype.

Anyway, that's not the only reason I came to your board this morning. Like many college basketball fans I expect, I had a generally negative perception of Grayson Allen. Really good player, but I saw the "lowlights" and viewed him mostly in that light.

Last night, he showed me something to enhance my view of him in both respects player and person.

1. He's clearly more than just a "really good player." Some of those shots he hit, my word. If he hit those at home I would have been amazed. At one of the toughest road venues in basketball? Goodness. His athleticism. I knew it was better than most think, but he showed it off last night. This team of talented freshmen would be very good without Allen had he chose to start making money this year, but with him - they have a chance to be special (and are well on their way).

2. His demeanor last night I thought was fantastic. It appears he's learned from his past and grown from it which is always great to see and one of the reasons I think many of us love college hoops. The students (I'm sure he's used to this) gave him tons of grief. He took (and gave) a hard foul on a fast break. Reactions both times - perfect. And now I see his post game comments with nothing but great things to say about the experience he had. He's a leader now.

Anyway, I was impressed - and wanted to post it here for some reason. I hope last night gave us Hoosier fans a glimpse of what could be with Archie Miller as coach. Only time will tell, but it was a fun game that I really enjoyed despite the loss.

Oh yeah the "F You Grayson" chants were heard through the TeeVee. Didn't think IU fans would say that so I was surprised. Nothing wrong with heckling Grayson, but I think that motivated him.

Appreciate your post.

Reactions: PixelDevil

Thanks for the kind post. IU played a heck of a game. Best of luck to u guys the rest of the way!

Reactions: sheyduke
Oh yeah the "F You Grayson" chants were heard through the TeeVee. Didn't think IU fans would say that so I was surprised. Nothing wrong with heckling Grayson, but I think that motivated him.

Appreciate your post.

When I was in school there (not THAT long ago), the public address announcer would have come on and admonished us for that (was always aimed at refs back then). Since my post, I listened to Coach K's comments and he sort of alludes to that since he knows Indiana/history quite well. As you say, I find nothing wrong with some heckling, but be a little more original/intelligent /respectful to kids than that! Nonetheless, he couldn't have handled it during and after any better than he did.

Appreciate the positive comments about the Hoosiers. There is some stuff to work with here, but it's going to take some time as the system is completely different (in a good way, in this fan's opinion) and there's not anything close to overwhelming talent - most notably the team really lacks shooters right now. I do like what I'm seeing in terms of a foundation for the future, however. I still think this season will be long and tough, but hoping for more positive takeaways like last night.

Heck of a win for you guys (regardless of how IU is perceived now or later in the season as it was at the very least close to their best shot and a ramped up environment - we won't see anything close to that other than Purdue and Michigan State I'd bet) and just a small step on what looks to be a heck of a season - quite likely ending in April.

Compared to the downright nastiness exhibited by grown adults at the game down the road from Duke, I think Grayson found last night's chanting to be downright pleasant.

It's hard to find opposing fans who see in Grayson what we Duke fans see all the time.

What PaperMario01 said - me being an IU fan as well - couldn't agree more.

Let's just say there's a price for having such a large contingent of student tickets - they sometimes let their chants get off color. That being said - man they picked the wrong guy to chant against - Grayson ate it up, he lives for that kinda spotlight. And most importantly he let his game do the talking. Your freshmen are freaks, watching them in person was crazy, they are amazing, but having Grayson out their to calm things down and keep everyone focused was pretty amazing to see - not sure if they showed that on TV but it was obvious in person - he'd huddle them and calm them down every time things started to go our way. Again I'm happy for the kid - that's what college should be about - maturing and finding your place as a person - he always had the passion and ability - good to see the kid owning it and not being led by it. I have no doubt this extra year in college will be the difference to a long NBA career.

Good luck the rest of the year and good game.

When I was in school there (not THAT long ago), the public address announcer would have come on and admonished us for that (was always aimed at refs back then).

Interesting you should say that!

Talked with someone who was at the game last night and here's what apparently happened:
  1. A student led chant of "F*** Grayson" started
  2. The long-time IU PA announcer, Chuck Crabbe got on the arena mike and asked that it stop.
  3. It stopped and didn't happen again.
And, to echo the others, Allen hit some really big shots last night, was the obvious team leader for a young group that stayed poised, and is a poster child for the benefits of staying in school; not as a way to maximize earning potential, but as a way to still earn a ton of money and grow up into a better man in college, instead of becoming a less-grounded zillionaire someday turns 40-something and has no compass.

As an outside-Duke college basketball junkie, I'm not a fan of who Allen was, but I'm a big fan of who he's become.

Last edited:
Thanks really apprciate it. It was a big game and I don't really have much issue with the FU chants, adults shouldn't do it but hell players in the past have taken a lot worse (JJ in Maryland, players families getting batteries thrown at them). Kentucky and UNC fans wishing coach K would die and for our players to be injured is appalling and disgusting. To be honest with you I say F**K UNC and Kentucky on a daily basis. I am doing it right now...I just did it again....but that is not directed at their players, more the fanbases than anyting.

Even though I find their fanbases complete tool bag chodes I have absolutely nothing against a college kid going to a school that is a rival of my team like UNC. Kentucky isn't our rivals but most of their fanbase is what sh!t would wipe off of it's shoes, but as far as their players I wish them the best in life. The moron fans those fanbases have just can't see the big picture, that is why I have stated in many threads and I state it in this one....their is no cure for stupid.

As far as Grayson and I love seeing him grow as a person. It's cool to see. We have all done dumb ShIt it's just he gets magnified because of the stage he is on. Trust me I have done a lot worse than trip a dude and just like him,.I grew from it and became better for it.

Reactions: Runninggun1
Great thread.

I totally agree with Paper-Mario about the student sections being vulgar and more important...un-creative. Its my biggest pet peeve with student sections. Have some creativity. There are ways to annoy players without using vulgar language or getting unnecessarily personal.

Thank you for the classy post Papermario and good luck on your season. Paper Mario on the Wii is one of my favorite games as well. :)

Great thread.

I totally agree with Paper-Mario about the student sections being vulgar and more important...un-creative. Its my biggest pet peeve with student sections. Have some creativity. There are ways to annoy players without using vulgar language or getting unnecessarily personal.
getting off topic,but the same can be said about a lot of comedians,being vulgar and swearing seems to be the only way they can try to get a laugh... I had the opportunity to see Jerry Seinfeld a couple years ago,he never swore once or made any crude or vulgar remarks and he had the audience in stitches...a true professional

Reactions: dukesince91
When I was in school there (not THAT long ago), the public address announcer would have come on and admonished us for that (was always aimed at refs back then). Since my post, I listened to Coach K's comments and he sort of alludes to that since he knows Indiana/history quite well. As you say, I find nothing wrong with some heckling, but be a little more original/intelligent /respectful to kids than that! Nonetheless, he couldn't have handled it during and after any better than he did.

Appreciate the positive comments about the Hoosiers. There is some stuff to work with here, but it's going to take some time as the system is completely different (in a good way, in this fan's opinion) and there's not anything close to overwhelming talent - most notably the team really lacks shooters right now. I do like what I'm seeing in terms of a foundation for the future, however. I still think this season will be long and tough, but hoping for more positive takeaways like last night.

Heck of a win for you guys (regardless of how IU is perceived now or later in the season as it was at the very least close to their best shot and a ramped up environment - we won't see anything close to that other than Purdue and Michigan State I'd bet) and just a small step on what looks to be a heck of a season - quite likely ending in April.

Agreed. Good luck the rest of the way.

Just checked out IU's schedule. They have Michigan, Iowa, Louisville, and Notre Dame the next 4. I can cheer for IU through that schedule.

Reactions: Quavarius
Interesting you should say that!

Talked with someone who was at the game last night and here's what apparently happened:
  1. A student led chant of "F*** Grayson" started
  2. The long-time IU PA announcer, Chuck Crabbe got on the arena mike and asked that it stop.
  3. It stopped and didn't happen again.
And, to echo the others, Allen hit some really big shots last night, was the obvious team leader for a young group that stayed poised, and is a poster child for the benefits of staying in school; not as a way to maximize earning potential, but as a way to still earn a ton of money and grow up into a better man in college, instead of becoming a less-grounded zillionaire someday turns 40-something and has no compass.

As an outside-Duke college basketball junkie, I'm not a fan of who Allen was, but I'm a big fan of who he's become.
If I heard him correctly they also said a technical foul would be issued if the chants continued.

Reactions: skysdad
I've watched a couple of our games this morning. Paying more attention to players. Grayson is really leading this team. I watched him in huddles, coaching these freshmen, settling them, guiding them, encouraging them. He reels them in when they get lost celebrating to early. Bagley is our machine, but Grayson is the captain and pilots this ship.

I agree with Show. He is EXACTLY what Quin Cook became his senior year. And considering Grayson was a freshman then, it is no coincidence.

I hope the next guy up, whether it's Javin or whomever, learns from this and keeps the tradition of a senior leader alive. It is becoming part of who Duke is.

@PaperMario01 / @das / @HoosierfanJM

Thanks for your posts. IU is a great program and Coach Miller is the real deal. The Hoosiers' ability is not revealed in their current record and I am sure that your season will be outstanding. Group-think got the best of the student spectators there in the heat of the moment....that never happens at Cameron....o_O.

Hope you guys have good luck....just not as much as us. :)

This doesn't just pertain to basketball, but most people have no interest in rehabilitation for offenders of any kind; it's all about retributive justice. Our entire justice system is built upon it. Opposing fans don't want to see Grayson rehabbed and see him grow and mature and become better than he was before. They want to see him continually punished, continually paying the price for past mistakes. They will only see future actions of his in a negitive light that's birthed from a perspective of retribution and a sense that his punishment - a combination of his suspension, the continuing bad press from media and fans, and his treatment from opposing fans - was unfair; even though his punishment, in the sense that he's going to be an arch villain in any opposing arena and treated as such, has and will last him his entire college career.

Reactions: dbav
Building on what Mpm said, I suppose it's almost as much fund to boo an opponent as it is to cheer your own player. Especially if that opponent is probably better than your own guys.

Crowds taunting Grayson don't usually work out to well for them. He's a master at getting motivated from opposing fans negativity.

Crowds taunting Grayson don't usually work out to well for them. He's a master at getting motivated from opposing fans negativity.

So for the life of me I can't find the interview or quote, but I remember prior to Grayson's freshman season at Duke, J.J. came and spoke to the team like so many other alumni have. Afterwards, he played pickup with the team, and said something like, "few players are as head strong as I am, but let me tell you, Grayson Allen is close....Duke fans are going to love him."

That's paraphrased, but when J.J. alludes to, or says something to that effect, you pay attention. And remember, this was before Grayson's freshman year....not after.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT