ADVERTISEMENT

Good Job Mr. Wendell Carter

It’s really hard to get her out of your head when she insists on being there! Lol. She’s ruined me actually being able to root for, or even want to watch him as bad as that sounds. You say Wendell I instantly think of his mom. It’s like when you say Lonzo I think of his dad.....I mean I’m rooting for him, but I’m not ...if u understand that ...hopefully if everything stays quiet I’ll get over it.
Hate to say it, but you’re growing on me. I actually gave you a like lol lol lol lol lol lol

Reactions: IPSYCHOSIS
I agree about Lebron he was never going to college. He played a school here in Winston Salem at the coliseum and it was sold out
Saw Lebron play 4 times in High School. Sold out arena every time, it was insane.

His senior year, he had a higher attendance for a game in the Cavs arena than the Cavs had for a game all season.

I went to the game between St Vincent St Mary's and Winston Salem RJ Reynolds in Greensboro. It was packed, as stated earlier. RJ Reynolds won three state titles in a row, and they were taken apart. RJ Reynolds also had Reyshawn Terry, and it was supposed to be matchup between him and Lebron. No contest, obviously lol...

It’s not an argument of who works the hardest. The argument is who is making the significant monetary impact to the university. And for many of the major colleges it’s the football team, followed by the men’s hoops team and that’s it.
Again, I say that individual players do not make a monetary impact. If Carter had gone to Harvard of Kentucky, my bet is .that athletics revenue at Duke would not have changed. Cameron has been sold out for decades, not because of the identities of the players, but because it is the DUKE Team that is playing and representing DUKE UNIVERSITY. Opposing teams fill their stadiums because Duke is playing, not because one particular player is on the Duke team. Duke has precious few scholarships available; and athletes who receive them are very fortunate and are owed nothing more from Duke.

Reactions: sgrooms
Again, I say that individual players do not make a monetary impact. If Carter had gone to Harvard of Kentucky, my bet is .that athletics revenue at Duke would not have changed. Cameron has been sold out for decades, not because of the identities of the players, but because it is the DUKE Team that is playing and representing DUKE UNIVERSITY. Opposing teams fill their stadiums because Duke is playing, not because one particular player is on the Duke team. Duke has precious few scholarships available; and athletes who receive them are very fortunate and are owed nothing more from Duke.
I disagree. While it wasn’t Wendell that built our fan base who spends all of the money, he keeps up the brand. Heaven forbid we have a few bad seasons in a row, i guarantee ticket sales and merchandise sales etc decline. Do you think #1 jersey sales were as high before Kyrie? How about 0 when Austin came through. #5 with Tyus etc.

Reactions: jamsession3
Sure. Duke UNC Kansas Kentucky etc. are all gonna sell out their games based on brand name. You identified the 1% of college basketball teams capable of doing that. Yes, those schools will make huge money regardless of who is playing.

What if Wendell went to Georgia Tech??? Local kid, probably their biggest name since Chris Bosh. He would have made a massive difference in their ticket sales/revenue...not to mention, if they make the NCAA tournament, that's a HUGE pay-day for the school.

Individual players don't have a monetary impact for the 1% of schools, they have a monetary impact for the other 99%....

I see it the same way. I couldn't find the data that I wanted, (link below shows closest thing) but you could look at revenue in the OAD period for schools that rely on these kinds of players and compare changes in revenue for those programs compared to others and see if there is a significant uptick for those that rely on OAD and those that don't. From the link below, if you look at the 5-year increase in revenues, Duke and Kentucky don't outpace everyone. If these big-time players made a difference, you would expect to see Duke and Kentucky out front (or near the front) compared to other programs. It doesn't appear that this is the case.
Of course there are other factors (marketing, facilities) that affect these numbers, so this doesn't prove anything. Only that there really isn't any evidence that suggests Wendell Carter and the other OADs that we've had have done anything to increase revenues for the program that wouldn't have happened had we not signed them.

http://www.businessinsider.com/loui...016-2018-2#15-university-of-texas-17567914-11

Reactions: DukeDenver
I see it the same way. I couldn't find the data that I wanted, (link below shows closest thing) but you could look at revenue in the OAD period for schools that rely on these kinds of players and compare changes in revenue for those programs compared to others and see if there is a significant uptick for those that rely on OAD and those that don't. From the link below, if you look at the 5-year increase in revenues, Duke and Kentucky don't outpace everyone. If these big-time players made a difference, you would expect to see Duke and Kentucky out front (or near the front) compared to other programs. It doesn't appear that this is the case.
Of course there are other factors (marketing, facilities) that affect these numbers, so this doesn't prove anything. Only that there really isn't any evidence that suggests Wendell Carter and the other OADs that we've had have done anything to increase revenues for the program that wouldn't have happened had we not signed them.

http://www.businessinsider.com/loui...016-2018-2#15-university-of-texas-17567914-11
Agreed. But my point was, Duke UK UNC etc. are all gonna make money regardless who is on the team. That data makes sense, Duke landing elite players should still generate the same level of revenue as 2013 Duke (obviously factoring in inflation).
The superstar's aren't gonna make Duke any more money than what they already make, but again, the other 99% of schools, I'd bet will see a large uptick in revenue if they have a "big-name." I bet Oklahoma with Trae Young this year did much better in the revenue department than most years.

Agreed. But my point was, Duke UK UNC etc. are all gonna make money regardless who is on the team. That data makes sense, Duke landing elite players should still generate the same level of revenue as 2013 Duke (obviously factoring in inflation).
The superstar's aren't gonna make Duke any more money than what they already make, but again, the other 99% of schools, I'd bet will see a large uptick in revenue if they have a "big-name." I bet Oklahoma with Trae Young this year did much better in the revenue department than most years.
Yep, I think this is exactly correct.

Been my argument since Mrs. Carter started this nonsense. These kids and their families are the beneficiaries of Duke's longtime financial success, not the reason for Duke's longtime financial success.

But greedy people will never see what they are being given. They only complain about what they aren't getting.

If Duke stops getting elite 5 and 4 star players, don't make the NCAA and barely get to the NIT or CBI, let me know how ticket sales go...oh yeah, let's see how St. John's is doing??

If Duke stops getting elite 5 and 4 star players, don't make the NCAA and barely get to the NIT or CBI, let me know how ticket sales go...oh yeah, let's see how St. John's is doing??

Not really a good comparison with St. Johns. Even when Mullin was there they weren't a national program. Not to mention it's NYC. Much like LA, you'd better have a winning team because of all the other entertainment opportunities. Folks will find something better to do.

Maybe if Duke went 10 years without winning, they'd have trouble getting viewers. But that's the point, it took years, decades to build this.

S
I agree they are fortunate to be a part of the program.

In that universe, yes revenues would drop.
In the universe that we actually live in, Duke is getting 4 and 5 star players, making the tournament, and has fantastic ticket sales. And this would all happen with or without Wendell Carter and his mom.

You got things bassackwards. Duke gets those players precisely because it is DUKE, and has an aura as a program. That aura emanates from K, who describes Duke as the best place to coach anywhere. The elite players who choose to go to Duke do so because of, among other reasons, the aura surrounding the program, Duke academics, K, the great campus atmosphere, and the probability that they are more likely to succeed professionally and personally by going to Duke as opposed to some other program. Individual players do not bestow those things on Duke. Whether or not Duke stops getting 4 and 5 star recruits has absolutely nothing to do with a supposed "NCAA System", and everything to do with Duke being Duke. Our players are truly blessed by the opportunities which Duke bestows on them. Again, they are owed nothing, but owe so much to Duke.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT