ADVERTISEMENT

Good Job Mr. Wendell Carter

I’ve always liked his game....I liked him better than Bagley at Duke and thought he was much more valuable of a player....guy can really shoot....play inside....and is a great defender inside...his mother though is beyond annoying....if he didn’t foul out against Kansas we would of won the game I feel...they couldn’t handle him and he was controlling the game on both ends in the second half...still can’t get over that block call....

So when Wendell balls out when the NBA season begins, are we still gonna be talking about his mom? Or will he be deservedly recognized? Asking for a friend.

Reactions: IPSYCHOSIS and dbav
So when Wendell balls out when the NBA season begins, are we still gonna be talking about his mom? Or will he be deservedly recognized? Asking for a friend.

Lol...

We need to do a better job understanding every parent is not a Coach K fan. The Carter family was promised a brand new 2019 Jag, we gave them a 2017 BMW. Both are good cars, but perception is everything.

I just want the kid to be successful, and for us fans to know some parents get whacky!

I'm going to cheer for Wendell and hope the bulls pay his parents no mind. He's a man now, a young man, but making more than enough money to forge his way in the world.

It’s really hard to get her out of your head when she insists on being there! Lol. She’s ruined me actually being able to root for, or even want to watch him as bad as that sounds. You say Wendell I instantly think of his mom. It’s like when you say Lonzo I think of his dad.....I mean I’m rooting for him, but I’m not ...if u understand that ...hopefully if everything stays quiet I’ll get over it.

Reactions: 2 skerz 3
It’s really hard to get her out of your head when she insists on being there! Lol. She’s ruined me actually being able to root for, or even want to watch him as bad as that sounds. You say Wendell I instantly think of his mom. It’s like when you say Lonzo I think of his dad.....I mean I’m rooting for him, but I’m not ...if u understand that ...hopefully if everything stays quiet I’ll get over it.

No, I can't say that I do understand your point.

I don't agree with her comparison of the NCAA to slavery, but I can definitely understand how someone could find fault with a system that funds dozens and dozens of athletic programs per school with the revenue generated almost exclusively by (a very high percentage of Black) athletes who play two sports.

As for the most recent comments that were attributed to her by someone from Sports Illustrated, well, I wasn't there so I don't know what she said and I don't know what was told to her and her son during his recruitment. I do know that Wendell says she was misquoted so there is always the option of giving a Duke guy the benefit of the doubt.

Regardless, nothing Mrs. Carter said or reportedly said appalled me enough to stop rooting for son or to wish failure upon him in the NBA.

Reactions: Tlass and dbav
I just can't give HER the benefit of the doubt. Maybe if this was her first time, but there's a pattern now.

Having said that, I think not rooting for Wendell because of what she said is just dumb.

Here's a good promise... You're coming to a school that recruits more talent consistently than anyone else in the country. Maybe instead of focusing on what should be given to you, you work hard and step up your game so you don't get lost in the sauce.

Wendell did a good job of this, but his mom just wanted everything to be guaranteed lol.

No, I can't say that I do understand your point.

I don't agree with her comparison of the NCAA to slavery, but I can definitely understand how someone could find fault with a system that funds dozens and dozens of athletic programs per school with the revenue generated almost exclusively by (a very high percentage of Black) athletes who play two sports.

As for the most recent comments that were attributed to her by someone from Sports Illustrated, well, I wasn't there so I don't know what she said and I don't know what was told to her and her son during his recruitment. I do know that Wendell says she was misquoted so there is always the option of giving a Duke guy the benefit of the doubt.

Regardless, nothing Mrs. Carter said or reportedly said appalled me enough to stop rooting for son or to wish failure upon him in the NBA.
The "system" does not fund anything; the schools do. They fund their operations, in part, through athletic revenues. The fact that such revenues are a consistent source of funding means that they are not generated by individual players, but by the teams which have the fan support and interest. Contrary to your implication, the players are not being cheated or taken advantage of. They are offered through the schools amazing opportunities to enhance their skills, to become educated, to grow as players and persons, to develop lifetime friendships and contacts, and to demonstrate their value to future employers, whether they be professional teams or other businesses. These opportunities are not offered by other sources, and the players are damn lucky to receive them. They don't deserve to receive anything which other students do not receive, and certainly not a share of athletic revenues which have far more important purposes. Finally, WTF difference does it make that more black athletes receive these opportunities than athletes from other ethnic backgrounds?

Reactions: dukesince91
So when did you perform your statistically relevant survey on coaches making promises and on what they promise. Very refreshing to have someone with your omniscience and expertise on this board. Keep up the good work.

So you don't believe Coach K, Bill Self, Ole Roy, Sean Miller, C Mullins, and others make promises to 5 star recruits to get them to come to their programs????

I don't care for the methods used to get players, but I'm not going act like they don't exist.

The "system" does not fund anything; the schools do. They fund their operations, in part, through athletic revenues. The fact that such revenues are a consistent source of funding means that they are not generated by individual players, but by the teams which have the fan support and interest. Contrary to your implication, the players are not being cheated or taken advantage of. They are offered through the schools amazing opportunities to enhance their skills, to become educated, to grow as players and persons, to develop lifetime friendships and contacts, and to demonstrate their value to future employers, whether they be professional teams or other businesses. These opportunities are not offered by other sources, and the players are damn lucky to receive them. They don't deserve to receive anything which other students do not receive, and certainly not a share of athletic revenues which have far more important purposes. Finally, WTF difference does it make that more black athletes receive these opportunities than athletes from other ethnic backgrounds?

This is idealistic, and why the one and done is going to be gone!

The NCAA will enforce a player to stay at least two years going forward. It's something being aggressively discussed during Summer League play.

This is idealistic, and why the one and done is going to be gone!

The NCAA will enforce a player to stay at least two years going forward. It's something being aggressively discussed during Summer League play.
The NCAA can’t enforce any kid to do anything in regards to how long or short they stay in school.

Reactions: dukephysics
The NCAA can’t enforce any kid to do anything in regards to how long or short they stay in school.
This. The NBA would have to install that sort of rule. Just like how the baseball rule on staying 3 years is an MLB rule, not an NCAA rule.

And I can guarantee you, the NBA isn't gonna force these athletes to stay in school for a certain period of time.

The NFL has done it for years. You just need to remove the OAD, and if a player goes to college he will need to stay 2 years. If he does not go to college then he can go straight to the league.

The NFL has done it for years. You just need to remove the OAD, and if a player goes to college he will need to stay 2 years. If he does not go to college then he can go straight to the league.
So you meant the NBA not the NCAA i take it?

Yeah, but the NFL Isn't the NBA lol. Basketball is a sport where an athlete's body can be "professionally prepared" by age 18. Basketball is also a sport where an athlete can play professionally for 20 years.

No football player can play in the NFL before age 21, I don't care how "physically freakish" they are, they would get KILLED. Plus, given how short NFL careers are, coming into the league at age 21 makes sense, because most players are only gonna be there for a short amount of time anyway.
Force a basketball player to wait until age 21 to play pro, and he essentially just loses out on millions of dollars of earnings potential.

Yeah, but the NFL Isn't the NBA lol. Basketball is a sport where an athlete's body can be "professionally prepared" by age 18. Basketball is also a sport where an athlete can play professionally for 20 years.

No football player can play in the NFL before age 21, I don't care how "physically freakish" they are, they would get KILLED. Plus, given how short NFL careers are, coming into the league at age 21 makes sense, because most players are only gonna be there for a short amount of time anyway.
Force a basketball player to wait until age 21 to play pro, and he essentially just loses out on millions of dollars of earnings potential.

I agree with the 'physical development' up to one point. The NFL is slowly watering down how you hit and tackle. Soon you won't be able to tackle and the game will become touch football.

That middle part of your post about all the opportunities given to basketball and football players are the same opportunities afforded to athletes on track, baseball or swimming and diving scholarships. The main difference is those athletes generate little or no money for the university.

You can make the argument that the basketball or football players can generate greater name recognition for themselves than other athletes but that is not necessarily an across-the-board thing. There are probably but a handful of UNC football players that didn't make the league who have names that can make them six figures selling insurance or advertising, but those players helped to float the entire athletic department aside from men's basketball. The same could almost certainly be said for football players at Kentucky, Kansas or other similar schools where football is not the focus.

Finally, the system to which I referred also includes the NCAA itself. From every standpoint I've heard people speak, it seems the revenue generated by the men's basketball tournament basically funds all other NCAA's tournaments.

As I said in my first statement, I don't feel college basketball is somehow comparable to slavery but I do understand how someone can look at it as an unfair arrangement.

That middle part of your post about all the opportunities given to basketball and football players are the same opportunities afforded to athletes on track, baseball or swimming and diving scholarships. The main difference is those athletes generate little or no money for the university.

You can make the argument that the basketball or football players can generate greater name recognition for themselves than other athletes but that is not necessarily an across-the-board thing. There are probably but a handful of UNC football players that didn't make the league who have names that can make them six figures selling insurance or advertising, but those players helped to float the entire athletic department aside from men's basketball. The same could almost certainly be said for football players at Kentucky, Kansas or other similar schools where football is not the focus.

Finally, the system to which I referred also includes the NCAA itself. From every standpoint I've heard people speak, it seems the revenue generated by the men's basketball tournament basically funds all other NCAA's tournaments.

As I said in my first statement, I don't feel college basketball is somehow comparable to slavery but I do understand how someone can look at it as an unfair arrangement.
The majority of these college athletes will never get to the league to get paid but it helps to have that scholarship. My niece who is Chinese was a top 10 student in a large high school got no assistance or scholarships. She just graduated at 21 working a second shift job her last year of college. I never heard her complain once about anything being unfair. These athletes have choices to make just like she did.

The majority of these college athletes will never get to the league to get paid but it helps to have that scholarship. My niece who is Chinese was a top 10 student in a large high school got no assistance or scholarships. She just graduated at 21 working a second shift job her last year of college. I never heard her complain once about anything being unfair. These athletes have choices to make just like she did.
It’s not an argument of who works the hardest. The argument is who is making the significant monetary impact to the university. And for many of the major colleges it’s the football team, followed by the men’s hoops team and that’s it.

Reactions: jamsession3

Congratulations to your niece. I'm sorry to hear she didn't receive any direction on how to apply for one of the many diversity-based or academic-focused scholarships that a Chinese student who finished top 10 in her large high school's graduating class would be eligible.

It is a very nice story, but I'm not sure how it fits into a discussion about athletes who earn money for a school and subsequently help to fund athletes who earn little to no money for said school.

Congratulations to your niece. I'm sorry to hear she didn't receive any direction on how to apply for one of the many diversity-based or academic-focused scholarships that a Chinese student who finished top 10 in her large high school's graduating class would be eligible.

It is a very nice story, but I'm not sure how it fits into a discussion about athletes who earn money for a school and subsequently help to fund athletes who earn little to no money for said school.
Do you think the football players on the high school team should be paid?

Do you think the football players on the high school team should be paid?

I don't know if I think that. I'm not even 100 percent sure that college athletes should be compensated because I'm unsure of what that would do to the landscape of collegiate sports and how it would impact kids who would possibly have no other academic opportunity without college sports.

I can say this, however. The most ridiculous eligibility ruling I have ever seen in my life occured in 2003 when the Ohio High School Athletic Association ruled Lebron James ineligible for receiving money for, I believe, autographing some jerseys. Mind you, this came after St. Vincent-St. Mary's moved all their home games to the University of Akron and began televising many of their games on pay-per-view. If there was ever an amateur athlete who deserved compensation it was Lebron.

Reactions: jwill133
I don't know if I think that. I'm not even 100 percent sure that college athletes should be compensated because I'm unsure of what that would do to the landscape of collegiate sports and how it would impact kids who would possibly have no other academic opportunity without college sports.

I can say this, however. The most ridiculous eligibility ruling I have ever seen in my life occured in 2003 when the Ohio High School Athletic Association ruled Lebron James ineligible for receiving money for, I believe, autographing some jerseys. Mind you, this came after St. Vincent-St. Mary's moved all their home games to the University of Akron and began televising many of their games on pay-per-view. If there was ever an amateur athlete who deserved compensation it was Lebron.
I agree about Lebron he was never going to college. He played a school here in Winston Salem at the coliseum and it was sold out

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT