ADVERTISEMENT

Good article: Evaluating Mike Krzyzewski's future at Duke

Just read it. My main question is why does everyone automatically assume it’ll be an inside the family hire? I’m fine if it is but that’s what’s always said. Why not the best hire regardless? Also Amaker being on the list is laughable it won’t be him and honestly im not so sure it’s capel either since he left

I'd be shocked if it isn't an inside-the-family hire (if it isn't Brad Stevens.) K really values what has been built at Duke, and I think will want to bring someone on who will continue it. Bobby wouldn't be a bad hire.

Just read it. My main question is why does everyone automatically assume it’ll be an inside the family hire? I’m fine if it is but that’s what’s always said. Why not the best hire regardless? Also Amaker being on the list is laughable it won’t be him and honestly im not so sure it’s capel either since he left

Exactly. We can hire just about any basketball coach in the country. This means NBA guys like Brad Stevens (not anytime soon, mind you) and Billy Donovan are still on the table. Up and coming coaches like Chris Holtmann (Ohio State), Mike White (Florida), Chris Beard (Texas Tech) and Eric Musselman (Nevada) would also be potential candidates.

Reactions: pisgah101
I'd be shocked if it isn't an inside-the-family hire (if it isn't Brad Stevens.) K really values what has been built at Duke, and I think will want to bring someone on who will continue it. Bobby wouldn't be a bad hire.

Agreed. I believe it will be a former Dukie......even if there's a better choice

Depends when he hangs it up who the next coach is imo. Brad down the line? If Capel succeeds at Pitt him down the line? If he does succeed and it’s around that timeframe I’m putting my money on Capel. He hangs it up after this season I don’t know who the hell it will be. Bobby? Mike? Billy is a no imo. A Hell no!

I wasn’t one was I??? I seriously can’t remember! I can remember bickering about Duval....

I suspect Bobby Hurley's strong early returns motivated Capel's move to Pitt. Despite/because of his great recruiting prowess, Capel's ultimate failure at OK (despite great for OK recruiting) and Duke's lack of success with his recruits, the PTB at Duke were never going to be eager to hire him. Further, no one at Duke is in love with anybody that played on the 95 team. That is just real talk, no matter that it is an irrational belief/opinion for people to hold against any of those guys. I guess Chief gets something of a pass, but only because he was a legit contributor in 92. Lots of folks love Wojo, but some (or, a few) really don't, so I don't think he's a real option either.
Bobby is part of Duke's Holy Trinity of Players: Christian, Bobby, and Grant. People might like Grant and Shane the best, on a personal level, but the three stars of the 91-92 title teams are revered by Duke's decision makers (the real decision makers, not those with official titles) in ways that other players simply aren't.
Bobby is a homerun hire. His family is still revered in the HS coaching ranks. Bobby was beloved while in college. He also seems like the best actual Coach (regardless of recruiting) in K's tree. His recruiting has been fine at ASU. Maybe not the highest ranked classes, but that is reasonable given ASU's hoops history and the paucity of local talent. I feel like Bobby's recruiting would pick up if he were doing it on behalf of storied Duke, rather than ASU (a great destination, in its own right, in different ways than is Duke).

If Bobby wants it, interested an influential folks around the Duke program will blackout from eagerness, and basically pant like over-excited Labradors as we eagerly offer whatever contract Bobby wants to sign. Heck, I want to see it if for nothing else than the press conference where a beaming Christian and Grant reminisce about the glory days on SC.

Reactions: Duke Blu
If not in the family, maybe Duke can lure Jay Wright from Nova. They seem to be the latest fashion trend in College Basketball right now.

I'm the next coach. Just have to be able to get my recliner to fit on the sideline. Also need room to be able to put my feet up. I'll have it so easy. Won't have to get up, and go to the kitchen for a drink or snack. The vendor will come right to me.
Probably won't lose a game at all. Do I have to wear a tie?

My main question is why does everyone automatically assume it’ll be an inside the family hire?

I tried finding the article/interview where K essentially said it should be and that that’s how things are done with him. But mostly, I think it’s about loyalty.

Outside of someone like Brad Stevens, who more and more I think is not even remotely interested, my preference would be a ‘Duke’ guy, too....and it’s not even close.

Could it backfire? Yep, it could. But largely, what makes Duke basketball the powerhouse it is, is this certain man in charge who built it into what it is today. He’s earned my confidence enough to be involved in choosing his successor. I think it goes without saying that K has a better interest in it than any of us.

not real big on coaches picking their successor. also, hiring assts, usually does not work out well. hope they get stevens or a young proven coach. and I know , I will get banged for this , have before. it is hard to follow a legend. See knight, wooden, smith, bryant, and even Bubbas

I'm the next coach. Just have to be able to get my recliner to fit on the sideline. Also need room to be able to put my feet up. I'll have it so easy. Won't have to get up, and go to the kitchen for a drink or snack. The vendor will come right to me.
Probably won't lose a game at all. Do I have to wear a tie?

I’d go the bob knight route with dress

Reactions: Mac9192
I tried finding the article/interview where K essentially said it should be and that that’s how things are done with him. But mostly, I think it’s about loyalty.

Outside of someone like Brad Stevens, who more and more I think is not even remotely interested, my preference would be a ‘Duke’ guy, too....and it’s not even close.

Could it backfire? Yep, it could. But largely, what makes Duke basketball the powerhouse it is, is this certain man in charge who built it into what it is today. He’s earned my confidence enough to be involved in choosing his successor. I think it goes without saying that K has a better interest in it than any of us.

K should have input. He should not be the sole, or even dispositive, word on the matter.

Reactions: ceilo77
I suspect Bobby Hurley's strong early returns motivated Capel's move to Pitt. Despite/because of his great recruiting prowess, Capel's ultimate failure at OK (despite great for OK recruiting) and Duke's lack of success with his recruits, the PTB at Duke were never going to be eager to hire him. Further, no one at Duke is in love with anybody that played on the 95 team. That is just real talk, no matter that it is an irrational belief/opinion for people to hold against any of those guys. I guess Chief gets something of a pass, but only because he was a legit contributor in 92. Lots of folks love Wojo, but some (or, a few) really don't, so I don't think he's a real option either.
Bobby is part of Duke's Holy Trinity of Players: Christian, Bobby, and Grant. People might like Grant and Shane the best, on a personal level, but the three stars of the 91-92 title teams are revered by Duke's decision makers (the real decision makers, not those with official titles) in ways that other players simply aren't.
Bobby is a homerun hire. His family is still revered in the HS coaching ranks. Bobby was beloved while in college. He also seems like the best actual Coach (regardless of recruiting) in K's tree. His recruiting has been fine at ASU. Maybe not the highest ranked classes, but that is reasonable given ASU's hoops history and the paucity of local talent. I feel like Bobby's recruiting would pick up if he were doing it on behalf of storied Duke, rather than ASU (a great destination, in its own right, in different ways than is Duke).

If Bobby wants it, interested an influential folks around the Duke program will blackout from eagerness, and basically pant like over-excited Labradors as we eagerly offer whatever contract Bobby wants to sign. Heck, I want to see it if for nothing else than the press conference where a beaming Christian and Grant reminisce about the glory days on SC.

That’s interesting. I haven’t followed ASU (or Buffalo) enough to have any opinion on Hurley’s coaching chops. I’ll assume he knows what he’s doing as he comes from a basketball family. But from all accounts, he has a ...uhh...difficult(?) personality. I wonder how that would go over. K is fiery during games but he’s always been thoughtful and reserved off the court and with the media. I suspect Bobby rubs a lot of people the wrong way. It’s surprising to hear that duke would offer him tomorrow. I would have thought the powers that be would consider media/donor relations a little more since K has built that side of the duke program as much as the on the court product.

Reactions: Quavarius
That’s interesting. I haven’t followed ASU (or Buffalo) enough to have any opinion on Hurley’s coaching chops. I’ll assume he knows what he’s doing as he comes from a basketball family. But from all accounts, he has a ...uhh...difficult(?) personality. I wonder how that would go over. K is fiery during games but he’s always been thoughtful and reserved off the court and with the media. I suspect Bobby rubs a lot of people the wrong way. It’s surprising to hear that duke would offer him tomorrow. I would have thought the powers that be would consider media/donor relations a little more since K has built that side of the duke program as much as the on the court product.

Yeah, I’m not sold on Bobby just yet. No matter what his basketball acumen is, recruiting is the name of the game. We’ve already felt the impact of not having Capel. Before Capel, we struggled with recruits and now we seem to be striking out on some major targets after his departure. Plus, Capel has gone to the Elite 8 as well. None of K’s other former players have recruited or gone deeper into the NCAA Tournament like Capel. He would be my choice.

To have someone like K leave will definitely be a difficult situation for Duke for a number of reasons. The guy has been in Durham since 1981 I believe? He’s had a longer tenure than Dean and quite a few accomplishments along the way (understatement of course).

Speaking from the Carolina perspective, we went through a period of uncertainly and instability after Dean left, mostly under Doherty. Duke could very well hire someone that continues the legacy of the program. But that’s why this situation is so intriguing. How do you replace that level of success? It’s not easy.

I am very intrigued to see how Pitt does these next few seasons, if Capel has Pitt back in the middle of the ACC within the next 2 years, than I’d say his odds of being the next Duke coach are as good as anyone, probably the slight favorite.

Even if the wait is another 8 years, which would be nice.

I would love to see Bobby come back. He’s the one coach from the Duke family that could weather a bad year or two like K was able to do, and I could see Bobby sticking around for 20+ years at Duke. He’s also probably the only guy who could bring the ‘90s players that have started coaching into the fold along with the Capel/Wojo faction and the Scheyer/James faction. Could also see him being able to get a guy like Hill or Battier to join his staff.

Brad Stevens is the dream. Pipe dream yes but the dream nonetheless.

Bobby Hurley I think is going to end up being the top candidate after a few more seasons compared to the other Duke alum coaches (Wojo, Collins, Capel).

I think Bobby is TOUGH enough to follow K and withstand the pressure. We are talking about a guy who played for two hall of fame coaches in K and Hurley Senior, was a starting pg as a freshman at Duke for a runner up national champion. Just a natural leader. He’s overcome adversity with that car accident cutting his nba career short. He just has a lot of guts, Fire, passsion and toughness to go along with his incredible knowledge of the game. And I like that he sort of made his own way by starting out from the bottom just like K did.

No matter who we hire, it will be a step down. No one is like Mike Krzyzewski. We might as well get comfortable with the fact that we’re going to be on shaky ground when that first season comes around. If I were on the search committee, I’d be looking for a bright young guy who knows ego management, knows modern recruiting and can draw up plays (but not Brad Stevens). Perhaps Coach K has already made a recommendation.

I’m more concerned with how our fan base reacts than i am with who is the next guy. It was alarming to see so many on this board turn on Jeff when he lost a game or two when K was out. Then Bobby gets hot to start last season and all of a sudden Jeff is chopped liver. Bobby is the flavor of the month- what happens when (if) something goes wrong with his teams- are we going to turn on him too?

Personally it’s going to be the toughest act to follow ever. Remember that K was given time to build after a shaky start. I get that it’s a feed me now world but we have to give the next guy a chance to breath and it will never happen with snap reacting fans calling for his head.

Gun to my head give me Jeff and let’s see how it goes.

I’m more concerned with how our fan base reacts than i am with who is the next guy. It was alarming to see so many on this board turn on Jeff when he lost a game or two when K was out. Then Bobby gets hot to start last season and all of a sudden Jeff is chopped liver. Bobby is the flavor of the month- what happens when (if) something goes wrong with his teams- are we going to turn on him too?

Personally it’s going to be the toughest act to follow ever. Remember that K was given time to build after a shaky start. I get that it’s a feed me now world but we have to give the next guy a chance to breath and it will never happen with snap reacting fans calling for his head.

That reminded me of Shaq in Uncle Drew.

I get what you mean. If we were only concerned with our win loss record for the few years following K’s retirement, I’d say Jeff is a safe bet. I think that’s a short term prop.

I’d rather be patient with a coach with a “higher ceiling.” I don’t like Capel’s style on gameday. I prefer a more disciplined, reflective person. Who knows, maybe Jeff is very disciplined and thoughtful, but he doesn't look that way on TV. This may be harsh by me, but he needs to watch his diet and not wear his emotions on his sleeve all the time. His public speaking is kind of course as well. I just really like it when coaches stay in great shape and practice what they preach. We know one thing though, that Capel must be a heck of a salesman to high schoolers and their parents.

Last edited:
Hahaha i haven’t seen it yet so i guess i can’t know if that’s good or bad

I just watched it last night, now that it's available to stream.

Shaq tells Kyrie to feed him now, he's gotta eat, because Kyrie was playing a lot of iso ball. It was very subtle, but made me laugh.

No matter who we hire, it will be a step down. No one is like Mike Krzyzewski. We might as well get comfortable with the fact that we’re going to be on shaky ground when that first season comes around. If I were on the search committee, I’d be looking for a bright young guy who knows ego management, knows modern recruiting and can draw up plays (but not Brad Stevens). Perhaps Coach K has already made a recommendation.
this post is spot on. I really think the program will go down for a while. I got assaulted for posting this once before, but, I still believe that . Like you said, no one is like MK.

If you of this boards posters get the head coaching job after Coach K leaves an you lose just one game and I mean one game I will rise you relentlessly. I won't let up. I will be your worst nightmare. I won't let up even if the refs cost us the game I will constantly question your decisions even though you may be winning. I will question why you don't have a 12 man rotation like hof coach roy williams has. You will be under the microscope because you have indicated that you are a better coach than Coach K. and you better be ready for the critics. Remember this if you are that man. OFC

Reactions: QC Dukie
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT