ADVERTISEMENT

Goldwire huh????

hart2chesson

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Oct 13, 2012
Remember when we signed this kid, some said he wouldnt sniff the floor except in blow-outs....Right....Yeah I know one game does not a season make, but this old man hooted and hollered when "J Gold" nailed a three pointer right off the bench in a pretty big-time game! Good job kid!

OFC

Remember when we signed this kid, some said he wouldnt sniff the floor except in blow-outs....Right....Yeah I know one game does not a season make, but this old man hooted and hollered when "J Gold" nailed a three pointer right off the bench in a pretty big-time game! Good job kid!

OFC

The first time I saw film of him I knew he would get minutes. People thought he would be a bench warmer. They get caught up in star ratings. That dude does his job and he won’t beat you. All you need him to do is spell for some minutes and he will bring positive play. He has been playing with good teammates all through high school so he has no problem accepting this new role. Defensively when he comes in there’s not much of a drop off from Trevon

The first time I saw film of him I knew he would get minutes. People thought he would be a bench warmer. They get caught up in star ratings. That dude does his job and he won’t beat you. All you need him to do is spell for some minutes and he will bring positive play. He has been playing with good teammates all through high school so he has no problem accepting this new role. Defensively when he comes in there’s not much of a drop off from Trevon

Excellent post dachamp!!!

OFC

Reactions: dachampishere2

OFC
I’m very happy to have Goldwire. Gonna be a key player. You can tell he loves being at Duke. He’s definitely Duke’s biggest cheerleader when he’s on the bench. When Grayson hit the three to seal the deal, did you all see Goldwire’s reaction? Loved it! I want to see more of Tucker on Friday against southern though as that game should be a blowout. Tucker has seen the floor very little for some reason.

Reactions: hart2chesson
It's ok to be wrong. So many people have gotten hung up on how many stars are beside a name. Maybe some of its being spoiled and feeling like we're settling for a hamburger when you're expecting a steak.
The kid belongs. Grayson is the leader but Goldwire is a point guard, not as good as Duval, but that's not a bad thing either. Not many college guards are better than Duval.
We have some other guys that can play too, but there's only so many minutes to give. I can see Goldwire and O'Connell helping ALL season.
We can play at least 9 and be pretty freaking strong guys.

Goldwire moves his feet very well and that's why he's getting minutes. To have 2 point guards who can contain the opposing pt. guard and keep him in front of them is a luxury we haven't had for years.

I look at him as a star mid major point guard who will be a 4 year valuable guy for Duke. Nothing wrong with that.

The first possession Goldwire was on defense he also had a huge deflection which led to a run out basket for us. I would not be nervous if Duval gets in foul trouble or something like that. Goldwire is a solid player.

Goldwires defense will definitely get him mins. We are not a good 3pt shooting team, so to the extent that he can knock down the occasional 3 and be a solid 3 and D player, he’ll see additional time.

Last night I think I even saw him and Duval on the floor together for a brief moment which would be a great small lineup if/when K wants to show that look.

It's ok to be wrong. So many people have gotten hung up on how many stars are beside a name. Maybe some of its being spoiled and feeling like we're settling for a hamburger when you're expecting a steak.
The kid belongs. Grayson is the leader but Goldwire is a point guard, not as good as Duval, but that's not a bad thing either. Not many college guards are better than Duval.
We have some other guys that can play too, but there's only so many minutes to give. I can see Goldwire and O'Connell helping ALL season.

THIS

OFC

And if Bolden can give us anything this team will be that much tougher to beat!

Rating players by stars has its merit but there's more to a player than meets the eye. Jordan G earned his way in his HS game when he played against Trevon. Jordan G has proven during his HS days coming from a top notch program that he can both play with and against elite rated players.

I have heard from many AAU coaches in the GA area that rave about him (and Alex) as a player and all talk about

I will fully admit that I didn't expect Goldwire to play this year. This was not strictly based off his NR ranking on all sites, but the fact that we stole him from Eastern Kentucky University. Generally, a mid-major talent would never play for us, much less play as a freshman. Combined with the fact that Goldwire was "apparently" the 3rd best player on his High School team last season.

The 3 he hit last night was big-time. He also plays GREAT defense and doesn't turn the ball over, not much else we can ask for. I have great confidence in him when he comes in 10-15 mpg.

Goldwire and O'Connell are much better than I thought. This Duke team doesn't have a single "hold my breathe while this guy is in" type player. Most of our previous teams had at least 1 guy like that. We are absolutely loaded.

I will fully admit that I didn't expect Goldwire to play this year. This was not strictly based off his NR ranking on all sites, but the fact that we stole him from Eastern Kentucky University. Generally, a mid-major talent would never play for us, much less play as a freshman. Combined with the fact that Goldwire was "apparently" the 3rd best player on his High School team last season.

The 3 he hit last night was big-time. He also plays GREAT defense and doesn't turn the ball over, not much else we can ask for. I have great confidence in him when he comes in 10-15 mpg.

Goldwire and O'Connell are much better than I thought. This Duke team doesn't have a single "hold my breathe while this guy is in" type player. Most of our previous teams had at least 1 guy like that. We are absolutely loaded.

Good post jwill. I know EKU said he was a program changing guy for them and they were hurt he didn't come.

Imo, I'm just glad he's shown he belongs and not sulk on the bench.

He played against Duval in HS and it's his edge I like him and O'connells. They have that I don't care what I was ranked I came to play no matter what.

Sometimes guys fly under the radar. Frank Mason was about to attend Towson but wasn't eligible and he chose them over VCU and George Mason. He went to a military academy to become eligible and got better and went to Kansas. Devonte’ Graham signed with App St. and then wanted a release after he realized he could go somewhere bigger when other schools got involved late. I think we got lucky and found a gem that no one else noticed and we noticed late.

Hart, good post and I agree. Really excited for this kid, good handle, great attitude, and poise to go with it! I am so glad he is getting burn, and one game or not, he has earned a lot of PT. K can now actually take Trevon out for spells to talk to him, without the team getting hurt. Alex did a nice job when he got on the floor also, and I would bet we see a lot of him too. This is a very pleasant surprise!
Go Duke!
OFC

Goldwire is a pleasant surprise. I personally don't see a need to put a cap on his minutes, because of the players around him. His expectations aren't as high, but he's already shown himself capable in a big time game. Who knows what the season holds for him, but it's nice to have a competent backup if Duval has to come out.

Hart, good post and I agree. Really excited for this kid, good handle, great attitude, and poise to go with it! I am so glad he is getting burn, and one game or not, he has earned a lot of PT. K can now actually take Trevon out for spells to talk to him, without the team getting hurt. Alex did a nice job when he got on the floor also, and I would bet we see a lot of him too. This is a very pleasant surprise!
Go Duke!
OFC

JC thanks I just felt the kid deserved some props after some felt he was no more than a "practice player" this year....OFC

Reactions: jcdevilfan

Agreed Jwill. In some instances it could be argued even last year w/all our talent we had a starter who struggled mightily at times offensively and we "held our breath" so to speak. OFC

Let's look at Jordan G, Alex and Jordan T

Jordan G
- plays great D
- played at a very competitive/high level in high school with good players and against elite players
- does all the little things for a team to win
- needs to add strength, yes, but uses his body really well
- was a 3 star

Alex
- very good scorer
- athletic
- competitive nature in games
- needs to add strength. Again, uses what he has
- has the ability to play the 2 or 3
- 4 star

Jordan T
- known as a shooter
- decent size for a 3
- needs to improve on D and on lateral movements
- has a scores mentality

Just taking a look at these guys it's just a matter of development and how quickly they adjust. They could be great role players throughout this year but don't be surprised to see them take that Fr to Soph jump in improvement.

What an opportunity for Duke to have a back court of
Fr 5 stars in Tre, RJ and Cam. Then coming off the bench the Sophs of Jordan G, Alex and Jordan T.

https://duke.forums.rivals.com/threads/compelling-case-for-jordan-goldwire.10854485/

https://duke.forums.rivals.com/threads/jordan-goldwire.10854379/

It seems that with only one or two exceptions (including the idiot who can't spell his name correctly), most people thought/hoped Goldwire could possibly provide a handfull of minutes as backup PG this year and showed promise for a larger role down the line. I'm not sure what 4 points, 2 rebs, and 1 steal in 11 minutes (1 more than his season average) last night suggests the majority were way out of line. I also don't understand the "I told you so" attitude from some folks. The kid played well in limited action. Virtually no one suggested he was incapable of that. Some have recently argued we might be better off with Grayson at PG in spells - I'm pretty sure we would have also been fine with Grayson at PG last night for those 11 minutes. Bottom line, I think most were happy to have JG before last night and are still happy today.

I think it's being blown out of proportion that so many thought 'bad' of Goldwire. I've never really seen a single person say a bad thing about the kid. I mean, I'll be the first to admit I didn't see him playing much this season (still not convinced he will, actually), but I'll also admit I've been pleasantly surprised. He's a really good (long) defender and plays to his role. My opinion was that his size would hinder him more than his abilities and that we were probably looking at his second season before he truly contributed in game action. I'm very content being wrong on this one.

I dont see it being "overblown" at all. I can almost say 5-7 times out of 10 I would rather see "Gold" at the point and keeping Allen at the 2 because it takes away from Grayson's freedom. I wouldnt have posted it, if the kid hadnt had some arrows shot at him. Admirable of you Dukiejay to "man up" and admit you didnt see him "playing much this season." I know you really didnt expect him to nail that 3 and help spark a 6-0 run against MSU in the 1st half last nite.

OFC

I dont see it being "overblown" at all. I can almost say 5-7 times out of 10 I would rather see "Gold" at the point and keeping Allen at the 2 because it takes away from Grayson's freedom. I wouldnt have posted it, if the kid hadnt had some arrows shot at him. Admirable of you Dukiejay to "man up" and admit you didnt see him "playing much this season." I know you really didnt expect him to nail that 3 and help spark a 6-0 run against MSU in the 1st half last nite.

OFC

I still don't really think the kid had many 'arrows' shot at him. That said, I don't claim to read every post on this board. If, by arrows, you mean people were doubting whether he would play much this season, then yeah, I guess he got blasted with arrows. The arguments presented for why he might not play were pretty reasonable and consistent with how things have played out in the past, like them or not.

As for the three he hit, I was jacked. I love Duke basketball because of the name on the front of the jersey, not on the back. It makes no difference to me who makes big plays. With exception to watching Grayson make MSU his, well, you know....Jordan's three and Javin's overall aggression were two big highlights for me last night. I want Jordan having the confidence to make that shot. And I want Javin being Javin. We're really, really good if they're good too.

As for the three he hit, I was jacked. I love Duke basketball because of the name on the front of the jersey, not on the back. It makes no difference to me who makes big plays. With exception to watching Grayson make MSU his, well, you know....Jordan's three and Javin's overall aggression were two big highlights for me last night. I want Jordan having the confidence to make that shot. And I want Javin being Javin. We're really, really good if they're good too.

Amen sir, agree wholeheartedly!

OFC

I'd rather be pleasantly surprised that a guy we got in a recruiting battle with Eastern Kentucky looks to be a valuable contributor as a freshman, but it looks like some people would rather be divisive, childish, and self-congratulatory.

The recruiting experts... Missed
The other colleges... Missed
The fans... Missed
The Duke staff... Didn't. Goes to show that the Staff see talent differently and I'd be incline to trust their judgement.

Glad your at Duke Jordan G!

The recruiting experts... Missed
The other colleges... Missed
The fans... Missed
The Duke staff... Didn't. Goes to show that the Staff see talent differently and I'd be incline to trust their judgement.

Glad your at Duke Jordan G!

This buddy rocks....OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT