ADVERTISEMENT

Go on Roy, lie a "LITTLE" (MORE).....

I was largely with you until this. I certainly understand it doesn't mean he received money from it, but I think the point is if he knew, and he's the great guy some think he is, then why didn't he do anything to correct it?

And, arguably he did receive money in the form of contracts and contract extensions, of increased value, that he received based upon the success he had with players he knew were cheating. That is an argument that can absolutely be made.

Do I think that Roy or anyone associated with him offered money to recruit? No, I think he is sly and smarter than that. I also believe he is a better person than that, despite his other failings in my eyes. I also don't think he would have taken Little knowing what is going on if he thought the program was involved in any respect. Do I think he failed by not taking care of a situation he knew to be fraudulent? Yes, and there is no question about that in my mind.

Again, I get what you have been saying in this thread, and I largely agree with you. But I am tired of the argument "every party is dirty in some respect". That's a cop out that people use to rationalize their own crappy behavior. Frankly, it should be beneath a real fan.

I for one don't believe our program is dirty at all. I don't think most of the ACC programs are, or mid-majors, or at least 90% of the programs out there. I think it's time for some to stop rationalizing and to own it. I have a lot more respect for people that say "yeah, I screwed up, I'm going to fix it", than those that say "yeah, I screwed up, but look at all these other people that screwed up as much or worse". Is that the company they really want to keep?

Time to man up on it. If you want to take the high road, you'd better work your ass off to stay on it. I'm not saying that to you individually because I believe you are mad as hell at the academic shenanigans, but to many in your fan base. I would be mad as hell at my alma mater if I found out they were cheating. I also believe you are a good fan and someone with a lot of common sense and dignity, so this isn't really directed at you as much as those that do rationalize because it makes them sound to cowardly to admit there was a problem that needed fixing.

End rant, haha. Sorry, I don't usually write this much.

Dsouther would be proud. ;) OFC

It almost leads me to believe (a little) this could be bad (for UNC). I mean, what if it’s nothing but a slap on the wrist? Then why would it matter? Also, didn’t UNC delay this by a week already because of some big fundraiser on campus last weekend? When would Jay like the announcement to be made?

I'd just soon they get away scott free as a slap on the wrist. A slap on the wrist to me is a mockery.OFC

Last edited:
It almost leads me to believe (a little) this could be bad (for UNC). I mean, what if it’s nothing but a slap on the wrist? Then why would it matter? Also, didn’t UNC delay this by a week already because of some big fundraiser on campus last weekend? When would Jay like the announcement to be made?
Yea it was supposed to be released last Friday. I’m like you as well. It almost makes me thinks as well that it could be bad for unc

Roy took a "bonus" everytime one of his teams had an impressive enough APR and he took it knowing full well it wasn't achieved legit. Not a crook? Stealing is stealing. There's another name for it?

Reactions: topps coach
Back to little for a moment. The guys I work with are all heel fans. We really don't discuss the unc/Duke rivalry among ourselves and that's ok with me. I think if we did sooner or later I would turn into skysdad and do a thr comparison on them and that would not be good for getting along with them. But my supervisor made a statement today about little. The discussion was among them about hof coach roy williams finally landing a 5 star although unc wasn't his 1st. choice and he stated that little was going to be trouble. He couldn't understand how hof coach roy williams had come to the point as to going after a player of little's questionable character. I just sat and listened and couldn't help but think how unc "carolina way" has changed over the last 20 years or so or has it really. Has there been stuff like this going on for years? Now this is going back a long time but I've heard from many, many folks that Larry Miller from the late 60's team drove around campus in a wussy blue corvette and had tons of parking tickets. Cannot confirm this but dean smith was his coach. Sure his mom and dad could have bought it for him . I don't know how privileged his family was. It was also well known that dean fought for his players that didn't have the advantages of a lot of college basketball players. If he knew about AFAM and had a hand in creating it why not other things. I know he has passed on and can't speak for himself but you can't help but wonder. At least I can't. Yes I know dsouther would be proud. OFC

Also I can't help but wonder is how john swofford is no where to be seen, heard or mentioned. He was the AD down there when all this was going own. What is this. Diplomatic immunity college style. OFC

You mean retaining multiple top 15 recruits for 3/4 years. Hell, if K was able to pull that off, CIS would overflow with banners. Unlike Roy, K believes in getting his players to the NBA quickly.

Exactly. Amusing watching unx fans try an' shape the narrative. To them , Roy didn't have more experienced top-rated talent than any coach in the country. No , Roy took a bunch of mid to lower level players and molded 'em into champions. Pinson was Top 15. Still in school. Berry Top 25. Still in school. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems as if only 3 players from their class are STILL in school and Roy has TWO of 'em. Isaac Copeland ( transferred from G'town to Nebraska ) is the other.

Back to little for a moment. The guys I work with are all heel fans. We really don't discuss the unc/Duke rivalry among ourselves and that's ok with me. I think if we did sooner or later I would turn into skysdad and do a thr comparison on them and that would not be good for getting along with them. But my supervisor made a statement today about little. The discussion was among them about hof coach roy williams finally landing a 5 star although unc wasn't his 1st. choice and he stated that little was going to be trouble. He couldn't understand how hof coach roy williams had come to the point as to going after a player of little's questionable character. I just sat and listened and couldn't help but think how unc "carolina way" has changed over the last 20 years or so or has it really. Has there been stuff like this going on for years? Now this is going back a long time but I've heard from many, many folks that Larry Miller from the late 60's team drove around campus in a wussy blue corvette and had tons of parking tickets. Cannot confirm this but dean smith was his coach. Sure his mom and dad could have bought it for him . I don't know how privileged his family was. It was also well known that dean fought for his players that didn't have the advantages of a lot of college basketball players. If he knew about AFAM and had a hand in creating it why not other things. I know he has passed on and can't speak for himself but you can't help but wonder. At least I can't. Yes I know dsouther would be proud. OFC
Miller's family worked in a mill in PA.Dean also said Larry used to sell his ACC tourney tickets which I think is a NCAA violation.Dean was not the paragon of virtue that the Heel made him out to be

I'm on a duke board right now, so I can't precisely speak to the extent of my opinion on whether or not Roy knew about AFAM. Do I sincerely hope he didn't know? Yes. But are the odds likely that he didn't? No.

As for the rest of your statement, I agree completely.
Why can't you give your opinion.This is not THR.Dissenting opinions are allowed here

Don't worry. If the holes skate he'll be the first one over here giving his opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT