ADVERTISEMENT

Glimpse of the Starting 5?

wswartz34

Recruit
Gold Member
Apr 6, 2016
A lot of people have heard talk of Javin's improvement...

Well the white squad (usually the starters) as of today was this:

Duval
Allen
DeLaurier
Bagley
Bolden

I know this is fluid but that is a hyper athletic starting 5!!

DMQ6e7oV4AAqlSd.jpg:large

I don't think it'll stick.

1.duval
2.grayson
3.trent
4.marvin
5.carter

That's the most dangerous because you can run 5 out with that. Got to respect carter and bagleys jump shot

Reactions: skysdad
DeLaurier had a jumpshot in high school. If he's better on defense than Carter, which I'm assuming he probably is for now, then I could see Javin starting over him. I agree that Trent is likely the best option at the 3, but that may be asking a bit too much out of our guards to play that many minutes. I trust K and staff will give us the best chance to win. I'm fine with whatever they come up with.

For what it's worth, last season during warmups Javin took a lot of shots from 3. I think his body type is more of a 4. But I think we may see him on the wing some this year.

DeLaurier had a jumpshot in high school. If he's better on defense than Carter, which I'm assuming he probably is for now, then I could see Javin starting over him. I agree that Trent is likely the best option at the 3, but that may be asking a bit too much out of our guards to play that many minutes. I trust K and staff will give us the best chance to win. I'm fine with whatever they come up with.
I think anything we can do to have Trent coming off the bench the better. Reason being is we really will rely on three guards for the majority of minutes. Having the ability to have one come in off the bench could be huge for us. Our length and athleticism 3-5 with Javin and/or Carter could be a tremendous asset early on.

A lot of people have heard talk of Javin's improvement...

Well the white squad (usually the starters) as of today was this:

Duval
Allen
DeLaurier
Bagley
Bolden

I know this is fluid but that is a hyper athletic starting 5!!

DMQ6e7oV4AAqlSd.jpg:large

That'd be sweet

I don't think it'll stick.

1.duval
2.grayson
3.trent
4.marvin
5.carter

That's the most dangerous because you can run 5 out with that. Got to respect carter and bagleys jump shot

To be fair K has already mentioned several times there is a group of more than 5 that he considers starters. So this one practice is likely the staff testing out different groups.

I think anything we can do to have Trent coming off the bench the better. Reason being is we really will rely on three guards for the majority of minutes. Having the ability to have one come in off the bench could be huge for us. Our length and athleticism 3-5 with Javin and/or Carter could be a tremendous asset early on.

You beat me to this. I actually think that we will have a big starting lineup because we don't have great depth at guard. I think that our guards will be Allen, Duval, and Trent with the potential of the Jordans getting on the floor as guards. It seems we have more interchangeable parts at the 3-5 which leads me to believe that Bagley will play as a 3 and some combo of Bolden, Javin, and Carter will be starting.

It would be tough not to have Carter start. He was very highly ranked and I'm sure bringing in Bagley was tough for him to accept.

As for Trent, Coach K loves small lineups. The bigger lineup will really have to impress him to go away from the smaller lineup. Not saying we won't see it, but just in situations not to start a game.

It really seems K has a few different lineup options, and all can be really dangerous. The biggest thing is whichever kid starts, they will know to give it everything cause we have what looks like a very athletic and talented bunch, and the guys not starting will probably be over on bench anxious to show what they can do.
I'm so excited to get this season going I'm about to piss my pants.

It would be tough not to have Carter start. He was very highly ranked and I'm sure bringing in Bagley was tough for him to accept.

As for Trent, Coach K loves small lineups. The bigger lineup will really have to impress him to go away from the smaller lineup. Not saying we won't see it, but just in situations not to start a game.

And you don't think bolden would feel that way?

If that's the starting 5, and Trent and Carter do come off the bench, they will probably get just as many minutes if not more than Javin and Bolden.
Definitely. One of the reasons I mentioned having Bolden start over Carter when we got Marvin to commit had more to do with who could handle coming off the bench better. Ultimately Trent and Carter if they aren't starting, which is still TBD, will get plenty of min.

regardless who starts...all those guys should get great minutes and by the 16:00 min mark trent and carter should be shuffling in and some games carter will start and some games bolden will start.....some games a big lineup starts, some games a smaller lineup starts....some games the smaller unit is clicking, some games the bigger unit is clicking....see where im going=).......i just want vrank/tucker/alex/goldwire to get mixed in decently

Regardless, I bet the battles in practice between Carter and Bolden will rival game conditions. Or at least they should. With a little Vrank thrown in for good measure.

Reactions: skysdad and dbav
regardless who starts...all those guys should get great minutes and by the 16:00 min mark trent and carter should be shuffling in and some games carter will start and some games bolden will start.....some games a big lineup starts, some games a smaller lineup starts....some games the smaller unit is clicking, some games the bigger unit is clicking....see where im going=).......i just want vrank/tucker/alex/goldwire to get mixed in decently
I prefer it when we have the same line-up and force other teams to adjust their line-up to us. In-game adjustments to the rotation are to be expected, but I like for the starters to stay the same (or for any changes there to be based on intra-team stuff, not the opponent).

I'm not getting my hopes up for a deep rotation. It's encouraging that Javin seems ready to contribute. That would be 7, which is closer to what most of us always wish for. Based on sheer physical stats, Tucker seems like the ideal 8th guy; he'd fill in at the 3 and save a little wear-and-tear on our backcourt.

Can the big lineup defend against a small fast team, like Louisville usually runs out? Or that Duke might see in the round of 32? Is it going to be another year of trying to outscore everyone? Hope not.

Can the big lineup defend against a small fast team, like Louisville usually runs out? Or that Duke might see in the round of 32? Is it going to be another year of trying to outscore everyone? Hope not.
I'd like to outscore everyone ;)
But I agree with your point, I have concerns about too many bigs not being able to handle small, quick lineups. I hope Bagley and Javin are athletic enough that they have the speed and quickness that if played at the wing aren't an issue guarding quick folks. If not, it may be a lot of Trent and Tucker.

Reactions: Liftee
I really don't care who the 5 are. I really don't see a set 5. I see different starters in different games. What I would love to see is 10 or more players who don't care who starts and supports everyone who is on the court. Everyone playing hard and the ultimate team where everyone is a great team mate. The NBA will draft them no matter who scores the most points if the talent and desire is there. I know I'm dreaming. OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
I really don't care who the 5 are. I really don't see a set 5. I see different starters in different games. What I would love to see is 10 or more players who don't care who starts and supports everyone who is on the court. Everyone playing hard and the ultimate team where everyone is a great team mate. The NBA will draft them no matter who scores the most points if the talent and desire is there. I know I'm dreaming. OFC
Agree almost all the way Sky. I guess I'm a little biased towards Grayson. I want to see him start and have a Dominant year, and along the way drag the Holes thru the mud while dropping 30+ on them each time we play them, winning ACC regular season, the ACC title, National Title, and being named MVP of Final 4. Other than that you're spot on.

QUOTE="Dattier, post: 11211002, member: 388"]I prefer it when we have the same line-up and force other teams to adjust their line-up to us. In-game adjustments to the rotation are to be expected, but I like for the starters to stay the same (or for any changes there to be based on intra-team stuff, not the opponent).

I'm not getting my hopes up for a deep rotation. It's encouraging that Javin seems ready to contribute. That would be 7, which is closer to what most of us always wish for. Based on sheer physical stats, Tucker seems like the ideal 8th guy; he'd fill in at the 3 and save a little wear-and-tear on our backcourt.[/QUOTE]
Tucker would be my favorite as well for that 8th spot. He could get the freshman year Dre minutes off the bench especially if we are cold. However he is going to have to give some solid effort on defense or those opportunities will be limited. Seems like Jack is really owning the physical energy role- that could play to his advantage.

Like many have alluded to on here, I see Duval, Allen, Javin, Gary Trent Jr., Bagley, Carter, and Bolden all playing starter like minutes. I would like to see 1 more guy emerge to be that crucial 8th man in the rotation (Goldwire, White, Tucker, O’Connell, or Vranckovich). Duke’s last 2 national championship teams have had a solid 8 man rotation once the post season started. 2010: Scheyer, Smith, Singler, Thomas, and Zoubek (Miles, Mason, and Dawkins off the bench), 2015: Tyus, Cook, Jones, Winslow, and Okafor (Jefferson, Plumlee, and Allen off the bench).

This year's starting five, regardless of what game, comes down to chemistry and leadership.

In what years did Duke have a team that was legitimately 8 to 10 deep and it resulted to a FF or NT?

I'm praying that the coaching staff and captains can keep it together.

Bolden, Carter, Trent, Grayson, Bagley, Duval, and possibly Tucker and Javin will complete hard to stay on the floor. Then you have Jack and Vrank that will need some burn...

I prefer it when we have the same line-up and force other teams to adjust their line-up to us. In-game adjustments to the rotation are to be expected, but I like for the starters to stay the same (or for any changes there to be based on intra-team stuff, not the opponent).

I'm not getting my hopes up for a deep rotation. It's encouraging that Javin seems ready to contribute. That would be 7, which is closer to what most of us always wish for. Based on sheer physical stats, Tucker seems like the ideal 8th guy; he'd fill in at the 3 and save a little wear-and-tear on our backcourt.

true, but sometimes we need to able to adjust to lineups that we face as well...a small fast lineup sometimes need to be countered with a better small and fast lineup imo

Reactions: QC Dukie
true, but sometimes we need to able to adjust to lineups that we face as well...a small fast lineup sometimes need to be countered with a better small and fast lineup imo
You're right. I just prefer when that happens via substitution, not the starting line-up. Zoubek's career is where that preference really solidified for me: He got really inconsistent minutes through his jr year based on match-ups, but his sr year he became reliable enough that he played regardless of match-up and we bent other teams to our will, forcing them to do the adjusting. It would be foolish to do it that way if we don't have the personnel, so it really probably comes down to preferring far superior talent. (Like that's so unusual. lol)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT