ADVERTISEMENT

Friday night scrimmage.

DukeNation12

Recruit
Nov 14, 2017
**Wrote this off something I saw previously before the tape came out...the guys look really sharp for a first time scrimmage! A lot of really good stuff!!

White starters: Roach/Gold/Wendell/Jalen/Hurt (Henry)

Blue: (not 100% on starters)
DJ/Buck/Joey/JBrake/Tapé (Mark)

3-12 min quarters, teams switched up...Quick box breakdown:

Things that stood out...Henry 17 pts/10Boards

Tape 14/10 with some nice dunks

Roach 6-9...8-8 for 22pts/5assists LOVE the FTs!! Even in a damn scrimmage!!

Jalen 7-11 for 17 pts and some Ben Simmons like highlight dunks and passing!’!👀🔥

Wendell 7-9FTs for 16 pts. Shot looked much improved.

Baker 6-12 3-6 for 15Pts

DJ&JGold 5 Asts each with DJ scoring and showing off nice combo skills

ZERO ZERO mention of the 2 most talked about guys all “pre season” in Hurt or Big Mark?!? ODD...no?!?!

Duke has another inter squad scrimmage Friday!

**Thinking back...maybe K and the staff told the writers to leave Hurt and Marks name out of clips on purpose to keep them hidden gems And for people to sleep on them for as long as possible!

Duke should be really deep...can’t wait for the season to start and especially that BIG matchup with the Illini!!

Last edited:
Interesting K had Hurt starting at the 5.. I’m thinking we will see him there the first couple games of the season and will likely see him there a good bit during all game, depending on the situation.. K is going to put the 5 best players on the court.

I didn't realize JJ is so athletic. Wow. Baker looks like he expects his shot to go in. Tape looked very solid and smart. Goldwire looks better. Coleman is huge. Steward has some Iverson to his game. We could be very good. Roach could be one and done if he can shoot it like that. Savarino can play. He won't play this year, but he looked like he belonged.

Last edited:
I really liked what we saw in the sample size we've been given here. Roach is much quicker than I thought he was. I think that he is looking for the best option on the floor, whether that be him or someone else. Very unselfish player. Moore has really improved his drive and shot it seems. I didn't wince when he was driving as much. Hurt, didn't see much of him, but he looked stronger. He's coming off the dribble a bit slow, much like last year. And using that arm will get him in trouble! His defense, on the floor leadership, and ability to put the ball on the floor will be key. I liked his confidence though. J-Gold is going to be special for us this season. A guy who just does all the little things and does them well. Dude has no fear. Steward is quick, good passer, nice shot, and I love that hair, haha Johnson could potentially be a star based off of that small sample size. Baker looks more confident than in years past. Is it me or was that a much quicker release? Maybe just a more confident release? Coleman and Tape looking strong out there! Men amongst boys on the inside at times. Coleman is bigger and stronger than I thought he would be. He seemed to be everywhere! Little Savarino with some nice moves and 3's, haha Didn't see much of Brakefield out there, did I miss him? Williams wasn't featured as much as I would've liked. Coleman seemed to outshine him in my opinion. Having said that, Williams is a big fella, much bigger than advertised. Not enough of a sample size to really talk about the D, but I liked what I saw with guys getting after the ball.

Savarino seemed to get a surprising amount of time as a walk-on on a team with such quality depth. I wonder why K likes him so much? :)

Very true😆then again the dude knocked down a few 3s and had a couple nice dishes. Looked almost like a First year 12th man not a walkon. I’d bet the most common college b-ball fan wouldn’t even know IF he ever got into a blowout game late for a handful of seconds-until the media of course points it out! Will be fun watching him win one with ol coach!!

Interesting K had Hurt starting at the 5.. I’m thinking we will see him there the first couple games of the season and will likely see him there a good bit during all game, depending on the situation.. K is going to put the 5 best players on the court.

I figured K would roll with Hurt stating at the 5 to start the season...but it will be interesting to see How long coach will keep Mark from starting C very early on when Duke faces teams like MSU and Illinois with Kofi at 7 280+ starting at C

Reactions: christophero
Very true😆then again the dude knocked down a few 3s and had a couple nice dishes. Looked almost like a First year 12th man not a walkon. I’d bet the most common college b-ball fan wouldn’t even know IF he ever got into a blowout game late for a handful of seconds-until the media of course points it out! Will be fun watching him win one with ol coach!!

I think watching K win a title with his grandson on the team would be one of the all time great moments in Duke history. Experiencing the ultimate in sports moments with your granddad, wow, are kidding me? How amazing would that be?

Tape rolling to the basket repeatedly and dunking tells me we may be sleeping on this guy. Then again guys seem to be scoring at will so it's hard to tell. Coleman may not have a Zion build but he's not that far off. He's a legit 240. If he plays that hard he'll get minutes. Brakefield may need to wait his turn.

Last edited:
Without a doubt between the 2 of Coleman and Brakefield...While JBrake might be more talented and have a better skill set right now the thing that separates the two currently is effort. Henry’s #1 attribute is he Plays so hard with a constant motor. Where is Brakefields #1 knock has been motor-even though I believe he was a to 10-15 ish prospect when he was a Soph. And won his states Gatorade HS player of the year 3 Straight years in Mississippi.

That dude is most likely currently Dukes 11th man...he’d start for About 90% of teams in America. Really hope he sticks it out at Duke!

Just got a chance to watch the video. Nice to see Roach shoot well. Honestly didn’t take a whole lot from it outside of that. Meaning that we didn’t already know or suspect. But Roach’s game looks like it’s ahead of where we expected which is great to see. I need a damn game. We need a damn game.

Roach looked really good. Goldwire is brimming with confidence. The athleticism and passing ability of Johnson is off the charts and fun to watch. Boy, Coleman plays hard, yeah. Steward looks like a combo guard in that he can shoot but has above average handles for a shooting guard. Moore looks more confident with that shot.....could go on and on

I miss Duke basketball. :'(

I can’t take or give anything other than JG making a few nice plays showing confidence...in practice. We need a game! 😜

One thing that stood out: 17 & 10 from Henry Coleman. He was really making his presence felt.

Also love what Roach did. Especially love that he was 8-8 from the FT line.

Reactions: DukeNation12
Roach looked much better than expected, assumed him coming off the major injury that he would have a very slow start this season...we will see. Tape' also looks like he will be a real contributor.
Goldwire looks like a real leader out on the floor, he had some great passes.
JJ looks as good and athletic as advertised. He is huge for such a good ball-handler.

Most of this has already been said, but I'll say it anyway....

-Coleman can be a player. Probably not this year, but our fan base is going to love him the next few years.

-Jalen is the real deal. Reminds me of watching Jayson Tatum in the early scrimmages in the fall of '16. There's just something there that most others don't have. We saw Jayson really struggle in stretches that year and people weren't patient whatsoever....hopefully we're better with JJ.

-Roach looked outstanding. He plays like that and we're a legit Final Four contender. That said, I expect moments of frustration this year with him.

-Jordan, Matt and Wendell are this team's heartbeat.

Most of this has already been said, but I'll say it anyway....

-Coleman can be a player. Probably not this year, but our fan base is going to love him the next few years.

-Jalen is the real deal. Reminds me of watching Jayson Tatum in the early scrimmages in the fall of '16. There's just something there that most others don't have. We saw Jayson really struggle in stretches that year and people weren't patient whatsoever....hopefully we're better with JJ.

-Roach looked outstanding. He plays like that and we're a legit Final Four contender. That said, I expect moments of frustration this year with him.

-Jordan, Matt and Wendell are this team's heartbeat.

Hey dj. OFC

Reactions: dukiejay
Coleman's game and effort/attitude have Coach K favorite written all over it. Will be fun to watch him.

Reactions: skysdad
Hard to tell how good we are. The fact that our scrimmages look like lay up drills is a bit concerning. Where are the blocked shots and charges? Goldwire and Roach should start. Coleman could be very effective for 10 minutes a game.

Last edited:
Reactions: geddoughton23
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT