ADVERTISEMENT

Freshmen jersey numbers for next year

Of course it makes perfect sense that Tre would be #3.. but I’m not a fan of Freshmen being able to have numbers of the previous year’s graduating Seniors (Tre getting Grayson’s #3).. I feel like the graduating seniors should get a year of their number being unused.

Then again, there aren’t a ton of numbers to choose from any more.

Not a fan of 3 being filled already, but it is what it is. Nothing to be angry over either.

Reactions: PixelDevil
I'm not. I'm going to miss watching bags play. Still in shock that he's fallen to a top 5 pick
Yeah, I'm losing sleep over that one myself. Bagley dropping to a top 5 pick is as bad as homeless goldfish.

That group of 5 could make the Final 4 IF they play team ball on both ends.
Big if. No freshman group has been able to do it at Duke yet and I don’t expect this one to either. Hopefully they can just gel as well as the 2015 group did and overcome those shortcomings.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I'm not. I'm going to miss watching bags play. Still in shock that he's fallen to a top 5 pick

He went from prohibitive favorite to be the #1 pick to possibly outside of the top 3 after averaging 21 and 11. It's truly amazing how that happened. I thought 21 and 11 would be looked at as a great year. Maybe that's not enough anymore smh

Has it really been over a decade since a new number has gone to the rafters?

If you were an new recruit and were picking a number (And excluding the retired numbers) What would it be and Why?

I would go with 12 because I was a big Thomas Hill fan

Reactions: dukesince91
If you were an new recruit and were picking a number (And excluding the retired numbers) What would it be and Why?

I would go with 12 because I was a big Thomas Hill fan

Since 7 is not a legal number, I'd go with 53, the largest prime number allowed to be on a NCAA b-ball jersey.

Reactions: dbav
id go with #42 good big man number.....havent been used since 2010???....bags seems to be slightly dropping just due to draft order and team needs....4/5 to memphis or dallas wouldnt be bad...esp dallas...dsj/barnes/bags would be a good threesome and he could learn some things from Dirk

I was listening to a sports talk radio show today and the c-host was local North Carolina. They were discussing the incoming #'s and one of them said why not just make the #'s 1,2,3,4, 5. They didn't have enough awareness that #4 is unavailable. OFC

Reactions: CRAZIE4LIFE
When looking at the list of retired jerseys, it’s imteres that several of the retired jersey numbers are consecutive or close to consecutive.

#’s in the 10’s: 10, 11
#’s in the 20’s: 22, 23, 24, 25
#’s in the 30’s: 31, 32, 33, 35
#’s in the 40’s: 43, 44

The only retired jersey that doesn’t have a consecutive number retired with it is JJ Redick’s #4.

Reactions: skysdad
#3 gets a year off. Give Tre #5 , like someone we’ve seen before. Baker with 13 is funny and clever. After that, I don’t care if they all wear 99. Let’s just win a bunch of games, especially the big ones. I feel like it’s been a few years since we could EXPECT a Duke team to win certain games. I’m all for talented freshmen, but we all know why we’re Duke fans. We need those days to return.

Dropping is good IMO, who wants to play for Phx, Sac, Orl , ATL or Mem? Playing at home with crowds of 10k while half root for road team.

It has been a while since we had a number retired. I still think Bob Verga and Mark Alarie got screwed but I also think Kyle Singler is being screwed. The guy won a National Championship, is 4th on the all-time Duke scoring list with 2,392 points and 7th on the rebound list with 1,015. He also hustled his butt off constantly and played with integrity. He never took a play off and was a great teammate.

It is past time to hang #12 SINGLER in the rafters.

It has been a while since we had a number retired. I still think Bob Verga and Mark Alarie got screwed but I also think Kyle Singler is being screwed. The guy won a National Championship, is 4th on the all-time Duke scoring list with 2,392 points and 7th on the rebound list with 1,015. He also hustled his butt off constantly and played with integrity. He never took a play off and was a great teammate.

It is past time to hang #12 SINGLER in the rafters.
No other Duke player who is not already up there deserves it more

Reactions: Mac9192 and tate12
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT