ADVERTISEMENT

For those complaining about the close games

Quavarius

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Aug 12, 2009
Ok, I understand, this team lacks a killer instinct and isn’t like past teams who would bury teams by 20-30 points and never let up. Well, let’s also examine that K is actually playing a 9-man rotation this deep into the season with Keels/Roach, Theo, Joey and Bates coming off the bench. Not just when someone is in foul trouble or when we have a huge lead. Now, I wish we got more from Joey and Bates when they enter, but nonetheless, K is giving them more opportunities than he has in years past. He see’s the bigger goal, which is a Natty! I expect him to get the team (all healthy) to March and then shorten the bench later in the tournament. We the fans have often complained that K should play more players during the regular season to save their legs for the post season. Now, you see, doing that means Duke will have to win ugly, BUT get more players experience if needed in the postseason! This is what we all said we wanted him to do. We can’t complain that he’s finally listening.

We all know K loves to play his best players for as long as possible instead of developing a bench and his way has gotten him almost 1200 wins, 5 Natty’s and 12 Final Fours. Glad to see him change it up in his last year.

Q, I’m not complaining about close games, but i would note that the other night against Wake, it was our 7-main-man rotation that let Wake back in, not Bates or Joey. But I certainly acknowledge that they’re playing a longer bench than they have historically, and think it’s a good thing, especially as we head into March (and hopefully April).

Q, I’m not complaining about close games, but i would note that the other night against Wake, it was our 7-main-man rotation that let Wake back in, not Bates or Joey. But I certainly acknowledge that they’re playing a longer bench than they have historically, and think it’s a good thing, especially as we head into March (and hopefully April).
Oh yeah and it wasn’t just the Wake game that I was referring to, either. I’ve seen other teams in the past who have played deeper benches in the regular season, lost a ton of games and by the time March rolled around, they were rolling because of the depth and not relying on just a few players to carry the entire team.

Again, it excites me to see K, who can be stubborn, go outside of his comfort zone a bit. Maybe it’s him or maybe it’s Scheyer’s influence. Who knows. But I do think those close games will benefit us in the postseason as well when the game slows down and everyone is playing in the half court. You’re not going to beat 6 teams in the NCAA Tournament by 20-30 points every night.

Good points, Q.

I was hoping they'd have a couple of close games in this last third of the season to get used to *winning* close games, I just didn't want those games to be close because we blew a 19-point lead.

But I still think this team can beat anyone in the country on any given night. I like this team. It's got holes. It's got weaknesses. It's going to lose games it shouldn't on occasion. But that's true of everyone.

We've got a legit superstar with Paolo, we've got size, we've got experience, we have ball handlers, we have shooters. I wish we had a Tyus Jones at the point, but I bet every team in the country wishes they had a Tyus Jones at the point.

I am all for us playing a deeper bench. But we looked like the Bad News Bears the last 2 minutes the other night, and that needs to improve. esp. againt better teams than Wake in the tournament. We need to grow up quickly. We are still good don't get me wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeffrey236
Good points, Q.

I was hoping they'd have a couple of close games in this last third of the season to get used to *winning* close games, I just didn't want those games to be close because we blew a 19-point lead.

But I still think this team can beat anyone in the country on any given night. I like this team. It's got holes. It's got weaknesses. It's going to lose games it shouldn't on occasion. But that's true of everyone.

We've got a legit superstar with Paolo, we've got size, we've got experience, we have ball handlers, we have shooters. I wish we had a Tyus Jones at the point, but I bet every team in the country wishes they had a Tyus Jones at the point.
Exactly! I love this team. We can defend and play different ways depending on matchups

Yeah, he's played his bench a little more. That has been good to see. Think the issue we're running into is who is our point guard, and the role Banchero plays. We don't have a true on court leader. Seems Moore should be, but I'm not sure he has that in him. I think Roach needs to be running more of the point, with Moore as a solid second option. Keels, imo, shouldn't be running the point. Never. He should be catching and shooting, or sometimes driving to the basket. Not being a bull in a china shop.

Banchero should do some more scoring from 10 ft in. He should be a nightmare for the other team due to his size and skill. It's diminished by him standing behind the 3 pt line.

I second Roach playing more point. Thought he got into a rhythm there for a good stretch of games before a two game slump. Tough when you’re taken out of that role after playing well. Thought Jon missed a valuable opportunity to reinsert Roach when the team was going off the rails.

This team has a lot of positives but two glaring weaknesses that have not improved. Low IQ turnovers and sense of awareness, and offensive flow for long stretches. Those will destroy us if they’re not magically fixed.

I like the bench length but my one point of concern is the lack of closing out tough games. March is next month and the back and forth from the good and the ugly is starting to worry me. Being up by 19 to the almost three point shot going in to win it for Wake is a concern . Especially since it was at home.

It's a legit concern. Fixable though, but time is running out. At some point we are going to be in a tight one with a good team, and we've been hit and miss in those. I think that is what makes me nervous.

I am all for us playing a deeper bench. But we looked like the Bad News Bears the last 2 minutes the other night, and that needs to improve. esp. againt better teams than Wake in the tournament. We need to grow up quickly. We are still good don't get me wrong.
A couple of weak calls made things worse than they really were.

Reactions: Quavarius
I assume that the guys get along well, but they sure don't get the ball into the right hands often enough, especially when things get tough. If Banchero is our Alpha dog, then the team needs to feed him every single time down the court, and not have these long stretches where he barely touches the ball. Considering that out of every time out Banchero gets the ball in scoring position, I'm guessing the coaches are constantly harping on this.

I assume that the guys get along well, but they sure don't get the ball into the right hands often enough, especially when things get tough. If Banchero is our Alpha dog, then the team needs to feed him every single time down the court, and not have these long stretches where he barely touches the ball. Considering that out of every time out Banchero gets the ball in scoring position, I'm guessing the coaches are constantly harping on this.
The fact remains that Banchero has not been playing up to his capability. When others do get the ball to him, he tries to dribble where there is no room rather than quickly going up for his shot, spends too much time hanging out at the three-point line, and misses a few easy layups. OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
The fact remains that Banchero has not been playing up to his capability. When others do get the ball to him, he tries to dribble where there is no room rather than quickly going up for his shot, spends too much time hanging out at the three-point line, and misses a few easy layups. OFC
A lot of the players try to dribble where there is little room.

Banchero is a very good player, and is having a very good season. I want him to find that extra gear, to put the team on his back when needed, and put teams away. That is how we cut down the nets. The other guys, excluding Mark, are just too inconsistent. It's asking a lot of a freshman.

Every Duke team that seems to struggle to win games ends up getting knocked out first weekend.

This team can go far. But they can also lose in the second round. It's not that we're bad; we have a good record. You just never know what team will show up.

It was a combination of bad calls and the worst last two minute execution in the history of the game of basketball. I kid. But it was pretty bad.

I kid. We have a good a chance of cutting the nets down as anyone. I'm just a worrier.

Would love to see the team to make it a point to get Banchero going early as they did against Kentucky, Gonzaga, Notre Dame, and North Carolina, when that happens it opens up the door for the other guys to get great shots and Duke is really tough to stop.

Duke’s defense has been their calling card all season and is the reason Duke has only lost by a total of 10 points in their 4 losses, that’s phenomenal defense. The half court offense needs to improve though, Duke cannot go on these long stretches of not scoring when the post season arrives.

It just goes to show if you're an optimist or a pessimist. No right or wrong here, but this team has shown signs of a team who gets knocked out early. We could go far too: but the warning signs are there.

We are playing very well. I can't speak for everyone, but the fact that we are in close games with average teams is a little worrisome, as once we hit the Sweet 16 we will be facing teams much better than anyone else in the ACC. The reason we are not in talks for a one seed right now is due to the fact that the league is down. But we are taking care of business. If Syracuse plays us tight that will show that we let teams hang around that we shouldn't; so a double digit win would be nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: bleediteveryday30
We are playing very well. I can't speak for everyone, but the fact that we are in close games with average teams is a little worrisome, as once we hit the Sweet 16 we will be facing teams much better than anyone else in the ACC. The reason we are not in talks for a one seed right now is due to the fact that the league is down. But we are taking care of business. If Syracuse plays us tight that will show that we let teams hang around that we shouldn't; so a double digit win would be nice.
I understand, but unlike other seasons, Duke is the ONLY quality win in the conference. The teams aren’t that good, but the coaches still know how to coach. Also, with this being K’s last season, every coach/team wants to say “we beat K his last year!”
We keep forgetting that that’s added pressure to this young team that NO other Duke team has had to play with (K’s final year). Also, the only players on the team with NCAA Tournament experience is Joey Baker and Theo John. We are young relying on freshmen and sophomores mainly. Also, that COVID pause certainly delayed development with this team.
I get folks are looking for a well-oiled machine. This isn’t that team. Ok, what is this team? 24-4 with wins over potential one seeds Gonzaga and Kentucky. Does anyone remember last season? Winning isn’t easy. Last year makes me appreciate this year SO much more!
Me personally, I’m just going to enjoy the ride of this team. Whether it’s a national championship or whatever. We will face uncertainty beginning next year for the first time in 37 years (since it took K 5 years to get it rolling). ENJOY THE LAST RIDE!

I am, but I'm also a worrier when it comes to Duke. I'd pretty nervous about a Gonzaga/Kentucky rematch, although we can beat them, and have. But they are both playing better. (Not saying we aren't)

I think playing in close games is an important experience to have. We haven't lost all of them but we should understand by now what needs to be done in end game situations.

I continue to be amazed that we see Duke play before a packed, rabid crowd somewhere one day and then 3 days later see a game from the same arena which is half empty and quiet as a church. Examples: Clemson, Florida State, Notre Dame.

I think playing in close games is an important experience to have. We haven't lost all of them but we should understand by now what needs to be done in end game situations.

I continue to be amazed that we see Duke play before a packed, rabid crowd somewhere one day and then 3 days later see a game from the same arena which is half empty and quiet as a church. Examples: Clemson, Florida State, Notre Dame.
BOOM! Our players are growing up in some of the most hostile arenas in college basketball. We’ve only lost 2 times away from Cameron (both games we could have won). I like the fearlessness this team shows away from CIS, which is something to have in the ACC/NCAA Tournament! I’m sure Syracuse will be sold out tomorrow! Will be a great chance for us to play in an NCAA Tournament type arena/atmosphere as well!

also, we ended 3 team’s undefeated home win streak this season (Wake, ND and UNC)

Yes and let’s not forget that the two most recent Duke title teams both got blown out during the regular season. This Duke team has not gotten blown out and I hope does not get blown out in any game.

Man I like the way this team is playing. Yes the competition is slight, but I want us to go into the postseason healthy. When the ACC used to be a murder’s row in the regular season, I felt we weren’t fresh going into the NCAA Tournament, especially since our coach and league takes the conference tournament VERY seriously.
Finish out strong guys!!!!!

And there is a ton of bulletin board material. Seth Davis has us ranked FOURTEENTH. Has us in his “Tier 3.” Joey Brackets had us a 3 seed after winning our games. Talking about Triple B- Bacot as being the ACC POY after we humbled his ugly ass. Keep the doubts coming!

And there is a ton of bulletin board material. Seth Davis has us ranked FOURTEENTH. Has us in his “Tier 3.” Joey Brackets had us a 3 seed after winning our games. Talking about Triple B- Bacot as being the ACC POY after we humbled his ugly ass. Keep the doubts coming!
I love it!

I saw a UK fan say that they hate that the media is underestimating Duke because they want us to be overrated! I’ve been laughing my ass off at that stuff

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT