ADVERTISEMENT

First transfer of the year???

You just proved his point. Something like 120 kids 18 and under have died from covid this year. There are 60M plus kids. This virus doesn’t affect young kids, especially healthy ones like, let’s say college athletes. This irrotational fear has to stop. Let the kids play and they shouldn’t be afraid to play bc the data Doesn’t support it. If they choose to dismiss the facts And not play, they should lose a year.

E

Welcome back dechamp. Very much agree with your post. These type pages wouldnt last very long w/o differing views and analysis... OFC
Oh man, I don’t know what Duke would do without your either...

Hopefully no one does but if Moore decides to return we will have a logjam at forward.

I started this thread because it does seem as @skysdad so duly noted in the past, we seem to have one early departure candidate every year. Sky is a pretty smart cookie, and has also noted watch the kid's body language, mannerisms, expressions, etc to gain more insight....

I was heartened by Joey's EFFORT in the Spartans game. Even though his shooting was off, there was NO LACK OF HUSTLE!!! He was engaged, diving for loose balls, deflecting an pass toward a teammate for a breakaway, etc....I also think if he just shoots and doesnt THINK MISS and just PLAYS, his shot will come! I like the way I saw him clapping between plays to try and keep the team fired up! OFC

Others have noted he might be too fired up. He needs to relax a bit and let the game come to him. Hitting a few shot always helps.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Listen, Joey didn't score against MSU but he did bring energy and got steals. Yes, he fouled out too. But look at his path to his JR year at Duke. he was 5 star recruit in the 2020 class but enrolled early at Duke. He was on the path to red shirting but played du to Zion getting injured. he is known a good shooter but it was known that he would he would have to make steps as a defender. So although he is a Jr and has work hard, he is stil a work in progress.

Brakefield seems like a player. Wendell is not a 2, he cannot play the 2, he should never be playing the 2. We have such a logjam already at forward once you include Johnson and Hurt. I just don't see how Joey gets minutes if Brakefield is ahead of him. Plus next year the logjam is gonna be even longer at forward.

Joey really giving me Alex Murphy vibes and I don't like it. The kid was a top 20 five-star, it shouldn't be taking this long to become a player. College basketball isn't very good in 2020, all the great players went to go pro after last season. A five star junior should be excelling for a program like Duke, I don't mean to sound negative but I'm worried its never gonna click for Joey, just like for Murphy and for O'Connell.

Reactions: christophero
I liked AOC a lot, as well as Murphy, and I like Baker. But how long is a coach supposed to wait for a player to "get it"? I know that Coach K has a quick hook, and lots of players had to play through it, including Nolan and Quinn Cook. But they did so. I'm getting the feeling that things aren't going to click for Joey at Duke.

I think we need to back off of Joey a bit. I don’t see it apples to apples with Alex Murphy or O’Connell. I get that they would be the natural Comparisons. Murphy was a deer in headlights and always was. He was a 6’8” forward who was supposed to be the next in a line before and after him at that position. He was a practice legend, but when the lights came on it was too much. AOC, God love him, but he didn’t have the basketball IQ needed to play here. He showed flashes but really couldn’t put any sort of consistency together. Joey, he’s shown flashes too. But he’s only had one year to do it. One year and two games. I don’t think he’s necessarily played poorly, his shots just haven’t gone down the first two games. I think it’s a bit premature to label him in the same breath as the Alexs. His role has been and will always be- hitting shots. That’s what will keep him on the floor no matter who’s on the roster. It’s why he’s gotten starting opportunities. Joey has confidence- something Murphy didn’t, and he has a better feel for the game than AOC. Both can and should improve, but let’s give him time to get there (ducks for cover). Don’t get me wrong, he’s got an uphill battle bc he does have to knock down those shots, but he’s too good of a shooter to not start hitting- it’s not like we haven’t seen him do that before. Dude shot 39% last year from deep, he has the shot.

Baker is from Fayetteville NC. Why transfer when your at your dream school and to close to home .
I really think we see one of the freshman bigs leave .

Others have noted he might be too fired up. He needs to relax a bit and let the game come to him. Hitting a few shot always helps.
I think we need to back off of Joey a bit. I don’t see it apples to apples with Alex Murphy or O’Connell. I get that they would be the natural Comparisons. Murphy was a deer in headlights and always was. He was a 6’8” forward who was supposed to be the next in a line before and after him at that position. He was a practice legend, but when the lights came on it was too much. AOC, God love him, but he didn’t have the basketball IQ needed to play here. He showed flashes but really couldn’t put any sort of consistency together. Joey, he’s shown flashes too. But he’s only had one year to do it. One year and two games. I don’t think he’s necessarily played poorly, his shots just haven’t gone down the first two games. I think it’s a bit premature to label him in the same breath as the Alexs. His role has been and will always be- hitting shots. That’s what will keep him on the floor no matter who’s on the roster. It’s why he’s gotten starting opportunities. Joey has confidence- something Murphy didn’t, and he has a better feel for the game than AOC. Both can and should improve, but let’s give him time to get there (ducks for cover). Don’t get me wrong, he’s got an uphill battle bc he does have to knock down those shots, but he’s too good of a shooter to not start hitting- it’s not like we haven’t seen him do that before. Dude shot 39% last year from deep, he has the shot.

Good stuff! Plus the old saying "he just needs to see the ball go thru the basket" could apply here too. Maybe thats the case with JB, since as Timo duly noted "hes too good of a shooter to not start hitting." OFC

I've got to think that if Baker was in the starting lineup he must have been doing some good things in practice.But I cannot deny he does have a classic transfer trajectory to his career if he cannot make shots. I also can't help but think of Alex last year, and how teammates said he would go off in practice but it rarely transitioned to games.

Alan was talking about Joey here, and the "classic transfer trajectory to his career if he cannot make shots." I haven't checked his pctg, but I would expect its fairly low.I can't help but think Joey falls in that category Alan denoted.

@skysdad I know you talk about the potential transfers, their mannerisms, on-court attitude, etc as a general barometer about possible Duke players seeking greener pastures.However Joey's attitude seems fine, his shots just will not fall. You think he will leave us, or do you see him sticking around? OFC

Alan was talking about Joey here, and the "classic transfer trajectory to his career if he cannot make shots." I haven't checked his pctg, but I would expect its fairly low.I can't help but think Joey falls in that category Alan denoted.

@skysdad I know you talk about the potential transfers, their mannerisms, on-court attitude, etc as a general barometer about possible Duke players seeking greener pastures.However Joey's attitude seems fine, his shots just will not fall. You think he will leave us, or do you see him sticking around? OFC

It was a lot of sarcaisim in that post that I made at the start of this thread. . I like Joey. I've always like Joey but it seems as though when he's playing it's either "Joey Baker the three point maker" or "get him off the court " from a lot of Duke fans. I guess I'm just different from the typical Duke fan now days. I think Joey stays. I hope Joey stays and zeros i on the basket and plays some consistant defense but if he does leave I wish him the best wherever he goes. Now this is some of my sarcasim. Watch him closley. Watch his mannerisms. Does he hustle back down on D when he shoots an air ball? Does he walk off the court slowly with a froen on his face. Does he just sit in his chair when a team mate makes a great play. Does he sit as far away from the coaching staff as possible. When coming on the court to warm up is he last, first or just the middle of the pack? Does he do his high fives with vigor or just go through the motions. Watch him and you will know if he is gonna be the 1st transfer. This goes for any Duke player including Coach K's grandson and a good indication about him is keeping an eye focused on Mickey K. Her expression will tell you whether Coach K is gonna have a tough night win or lose when he gets home. If you watch the game you are not gonna pick up on these potential transfer issues. Watch what is going on with the bench and body language. :) OFC

Reactions: hart2chesson
Now this is some of my sarcasim. Watch him closley. Watch his mannerisms. Does he hustle back down on D when he shoots an air ball? Does he walk off the court slowly with a froen on his face. Does he just sit in his chair when a team mate makes a great play. Does he sit as far away from the coaching staff as possible. When coming on the court to warm up is he last, first or just the middle of the pack? Does he do his high fives with vigor or just go through the motions. Watch him and you will know if he is gonna be the 1st transfer. This goes for any Duke player including Coach K's grandson and a good indication about him is keeping an eye focused on Mickey K. Her expression will tell you whether Coach K is gonna have a tough night win or lose when he gets home. If you watch the game you are not gonna pick up on these potential transfer issues. Watch what is going on with the bench and body language. :) OFC

Love it Sky!!! Merry Christmas, OFC

Reactions: skysdad
I keep hoping to see Duke running a set play setting a screen to free up Joey for a 3 pt shot. Instead he just goes to the corner and stands waiting to see if they throw him the ball. Watch how Robinson for the Miami Heat gets open . I have yet to see 1 screen set for Joey.

Baker is a good player. I hope that he succeeds at Duke. I don't know him. He doesn't know me. But my great friend does know him, and likes him very much. He went to high school in Fayetteville NC with my friend's daughter. By the way, I think Baker grew up in Connecticut, and moved to Fayetteville at about age 14

Baker is getting playing time as is Moore. The guy I worry about is Coleman. I think he will wait his turn; but you never know. Plus if everyone but JJ comes back he may be buried again. Brakefield and Williams and Tape so far are getting more time due to JJ being out. I hope he at least gets a shot this year. I imagine at some point he will. but with all our depth someone was gonna be the odd man out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT