ADVERTISEMENT

First transfer of the year???

hart2chesson

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Oct 13, 2012
Every year we seem to start a way too premature who will be this year's transfer thread. @skydad will back me up. Might as well venture a few thoughts. I will say unless he starts hitting his 3s and/or his D improves, Joey Baker will be moving on. Thats because if he stays, hes headed for pine city. OFC

Last edited:
Well it does seem to be a hot topic every year doesn't it but it is a little premature after one game especially when we couldn't observe the body language of any of our players on the bench. I'm sure as the season progresses and we see t.v. and team time outs there will be several players who will be mentioned as transfers. Things to observe also during play watch the bench and the players who do not leap to their feet when a great play is made by Duke is a sure sign of a possible transfer. Remember keep your eyes on the Duke bench and note the game day post. You will know real soon all the possible transfers and also the coaching mistakes made by Coach K and if we lose it is really intensified as to what substitutions and other decisions that would have insured a win as opposed to a loss. OFC

I would agree that Baker is the most likely transfer, but I don't see that as highly likely. Baker knew by the end of last season what the roster was going to be and with almost every transfer getting granted immediate eligibility, it seems if he wanted to leave he would have transferred out at the end of the school year.

Hopefully the roster stays intact all season.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Joey has tools to be really good.. he’s got good size - 6’6” and even as a freshman he wasn’t rail thin like most players coming in are.. he’s got a great shot.. but he can’t get it to “click” during games, similar to AOC..

If he could just knock down spot-up 3’s and not make mistakes, I’m pretty sure K would give him 20min a night.. even if he isn’t playing lock down defense or creating is own shots.

Baker needs to hit shots. Captain obvious I know. Is he putting too much pressure on himself?
Seems like in Division 1 it’s not uncommon to find a couple players on each team that just can’t get it to “click” during real games, but they can play like potential NBA draft picks in practice and pickup games.. I think Joey is that (and maybe even Wendell & Hurt).. Bolden, AOC, & Reddish are others I think that fit in this category.

Baker isn’t going anywhere. If he didn’t leave after burning his red shirt or limited time last year he ain’t going to his last two years.
This is the one season I just think players want to stay put. Now next season is different but I wouldn’t put Baker down as leaving if he hasn’t left yet. Plus he’s only 1 hour 45 minutes from home .
A lot of growing to do for this team.

Well it does seem to be a hot topic every year doesn't it but it is a little premature after one game especially when we couldn't observe the body language of any of our players on the bench. I'm sure as the season progresses and we see t.v. and team time outs there will be several players who will be mentioned as transfers. Things to observe also during play watch the bench and the players who do not leap to their feet when a great play is made by Duke is a sure sign of a possible transfer. Remember keep your eyes on the Duke bench and note the game day post. You will know real soon all the possible transfers and also the coaching mistakes made by Coach K and if we lose it is really intensified as to what substitutions and other decisions that would have insured a win as opposed to a loss. OFC

Lmao Sky!!! Spot-On! OFC

Reactions: skysdad
Baker isn’t going anywhere. If he didn’t leave after burning his red shirt or limited time last year he ain’t going to his last two years.
This is the one season I just think players want to stay put. Now next season is different but I wouldn’t put Baker down as leaving if he hasn’t left yet. Plus he’s only 1 hour 45 minutes from home .
A lot of growing to do for this team.

The college bball player's ego is very sensitive. Griffin is coming in next year.
Also, every blue moon fans can get a good read/feel about how things may go. Before the season even started, there were huge doubts about who may go pro in the next spring. We definitely saw Johnson being one and done, but that's it. The wing position is stacked. If Baker couldn't get reasonable minutes last year, I highly doubt it will happen in the next two years.

Burning that redshirt really hurt him.

The college bball player's ego is very sensitive. Griffin is coming in next year.
Also, every blue moon fans can get a good read/feel about how things may go. Before the season even started, there were huge doubts about who may go pro in the next spring. We definitely saw Johnson being one and done, but that's it. The wing position is stacked. If Baker couldn't get reasonable minutes last year, I highly doubt it will happen in the next two years.

It actually didn’t hurt him at all because this year doesn’t even count towards eligibility. So he’ll be a redshirt sophomore again next year. He has 3 years of college basketball left AFTER this year

Baker is a junior this year. I'm no math whiz, but even with the extra year that would give him 2 years after this year.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: durhamgolfer
Baker is a junior this year. I'm no math whiz, but even with the extra year that would give him 2 years after this year.:)
It’s also a safe assumption that if we land Baldwin, and Keels, to go along with what we have coming in and returning next year, and Baker does not improve much, he will be heading for pine central next year.

We’ll see how the season goes but Johnson is the only one I expect and should go pro. These kids need to learn the game before they can just jump to the NBA. Everyone is too focused on “securing the bag” and not focused on developing their craft and making a career.

Reactions: jamsession3
We’ll see how the season goes but Johnson is the only one I expect and should go pro. These kids need to learn the game before they can just jump to the NBA. Everyone is too focused on “securing the bag” and not focused on developing their craft and making a career.
It’s hard to blame them lol

It actually didn’t hurt him at all because this year doesn’t even count towards eligibility. So he’ll be a redshirt sophomore again next year. He has 3 years of college basketball left AFTER this year

I’m so glad it wasn’t a perfect game, so you could come by and complain

E
Don’t be a Yes man. It’s ok to analyze things on a FORUM. That’s what it’s here for smh

Welcome back dechamp. Very much agree with your post. These type pages wouldnt last very long w/o differing views and analysis... OFC

We have played one game, I think it's way too early to be worried about a transfer. But yeah, I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to see that Joey could possibly be the odd man out this year and probably next year. Especially if Brakefield continues to progress and passes him on the depth chart. And of course if Baldwin comes next year, there just isn't gonna be minutes available.

I hate starting Joey. I love Joey coming off the bench as a 3 point shooting spark plug. Joey looked bad Saturday, it's pretty basic for him, if he's making 3's he's playable, if he's missing he can't play.
Joey seems like an INCREDIBLE kid, and he definitely loves Duke. He seems beloved by all his current/former teammates, I hope he sticks it out and has a solid Duke career.

Wait.. this season doesn’t count toward eligibility for any player in Div. 1 basketball???

Or any other sport. It’s basically a free year for any collegiate athlete.
Wait, is that for real? How? Why? So many questions here. I feel like it should only be that way if your season was cancelled. Like baseball last year.

Wait, is that for real? How? Why? So many questions here. I feel like it should only be that way if your season was cancelled. Like baseball last year.
Basically blanket rule for every sport and kid. That way if they don’t want to play they don’t have to.

Reactions: jnastasi
Basically blanket rule for every sport and kid. That way if they don’t want to play they don’t have to.
As a college professor, I find this absurd. That’s life. Deal with it. Put your big boy pants on. People have lost the businesses they gave their blood, sweat and tears to establish. Boo hoo.

As a college professor, I find this absurd. That’s life. Deal with it. Put your big boy pants on. People have lost the businesses they gave their blood, sweat and tears to establish. Boo hoo.
[/QUOTE\] Eh, I feel this year qualifies as an extraordinary circumstance. Can't blame them if they want to be extra safe. This thing kills college age kids too.

Yeah it’s pretty insane but then again it’s the NCAA, so.

I've got to think that if Baker was in the starting lineup he must have been doing some good things in practice. I agree that if he is not hitting his threes he can be a liability on the court, but I still believe he will have some hot nights and will win a game or two for us. I am routing for him!

But I cannot deny he does have a classic transfer trajectory to his career if he cannot make shots. I also can't help but think of Alex last year, and how teammates said he would go off in practice but it rarely transitioned to games.

I've got to think that if Baker was in the starting lineup he must have been doing some good things in practice. I agree that if he is not hitting his threes he can be a liability on the court, but I still believe he will have some hot nights and will win a game or two for us. I am routing for him!

But I cannot deny he does have a classic transfer trajectory to his career if he cannot make shots. I also can't help but think of Alex last year, and how teammates said he would go off in practice but it rarely transitioned to games.
Joey is going to be that spark Off the bench. I just don’t think his mindset is right for starting. Doesn’t mean he won’t play a role and on some nights a big one. He plays with a different kind of confidence, like most shooters, when he sees one go in. He had a couple good looks they just didn’t go down. Keep shooting, we will need him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT