ADVERTISEMENT

Farewell, friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willcampbell

Cameron Crazy
Oct 20, 2004
I can't take this forum anymore. Thousands of responses to the New Lounge, and very little about Duke sports, which I thought was the purpose. I will miss a lot of folks: Sky, Duke Denver my bourbon buddy, Hart, Surf (who actually reports facts), Gastineau (wherever he is), Hoffman, Ipsy (for great laughs), and many others whom I cannot recall at this particular moment. I will be "unsubscribing" tomorrow... right now I have to get back to work. Have a nice day, and a good life. God bless.
OFC (charter member), Will

Gonna miss you but I understand. DI is a completley different forum than it was when I joined in 2006. I'm not posting anywhere near what I have been in the past. The only threads I'm active on are the trivia threads which I enjoy and Q's NBA thread I am grateful for. There are a lot of great posters who have left which made this a great board. Hopefully when season gets here there will be some threads to post on but DI has become what it is now because the majority has spoken on the way the board should be. The thing is we are all still Duke fans I think and hope it will bring us together. DI stands for Duke Illustrated. A place to discuss Duke sports. OFC

Last edited:
Wil, you are a little older than I am but experienced a lot of the same things in Duke sports as I did. I wish you would reconsider and resist the urge to look at threads that shouldn't be on here. It's been a down month and I assume a lot of the old posters will come back when the season begins. If not, I understand your decision.

I’ve really not posted much just read the threads about basketball.

Reactions: skysdad
I can't take this forum anymore. Thousands of responses to the New Lounge, and very little about Duke sports, which I thought was the purpose. I will miss a lot of folks: Sky, Duke Denver my bourbon buddy, Hart, Surf (who actually reports facts), Gastineau (wherever he is), Hoffman, Ipsy (for great laughs), and many others whom I cannot recall at this particular moment. I will be "unsubscribing" tomorrow... right now I have to get back to work. Have a nice day, and a good life. God bless.
OFC (charter member), Will
So slong buddy! :/

Reactions: PixelDevil
Gonna miss you but I understand. DI is a completley different forum than it was when I joined in 2006. I'm not posting anywhere near what I have been in the past. The only threads I'm active on are the trivia threads which I enjoy and Q's NBA thread I am grateful for. There are a lot of great posters who have left which made this a great board. Hopefully when season gets here there will be some threads to post on but DI has become what it is now because the majority has spoken on the way the board should be. The thing is we are all still Duke fans I think and hope it will bring us together. DI stands for Duke Illustrated. A place to discuss Duke sports. OFC
Why the heck do we have mods? Is it not to enhance the essential focus of this forum, which is Duke sports in general, and Duke basketball specifically? Instead, the mods are polluting it by allowing it to be misused for personal attacks, many of which are crude and defamatory, personal political and social rants, and disrespectful and demeaning commentary. Regrettably, this unfortunate conduct spills over from "The New Lounge" , which should have no place on this board. Bear in mind that no one has a right, constitutional or otherwise, to express jackass opinions which have no rational connection to the intended purpose of this board.

It might be a good idea if the mods were to survey contributors to this board as to whether or not unintended use of the board should be allowed to continue, and then to react accordingly.

OFC

Why the heck do we have mods? Is it not to enhance the essential focus of this forum, which is Duke sports in general, and Duke basketball specifically? Instead, the mods are polluting it by allowing it to be misused for personal attacks, many of which are crude and defamatory, personal political and social rants, and disrespectful and demeaning commentary. Regrettably, this unfortunate conduct spills over from "The New Lounge" , which should have no place on this board. Bear in mind that no one has a right, constitutional or otherwise, to express jackass opinions which have no rational connection to the intended purpose of this board.

It might be a good idea if the mods were to survey contributors to this board as to whether or not unintended use of the board should be allowed to continue, and then to react accordingly.

OFC
I appreciate the support and kind words. The reality of 2020 lead to the decision of creating the New Lounge thread. It was determined along with the Owner of the site, that there was no way to avoid what was happening. It was a rock and a hard place decision. Every single thread either turned into a bickering back and forth on party lines, or, there were just a ton of threads that were started for that sole purpose. Because of that reality, we created and pinned the cesspool that is New Lounge.

Here are some realities since we’ve done that-
1. Nearly no other thread has been subjected to the derailing and political bickering anymore.
2. You don’t have to go into the New Lounge- feel free to avoid it.
3. Duke threads are starting to pop up again now that the season Is around the corner. Feel free to contribute to them and make them better.

I’m sorry to see William leaving but i understand it’s 2020 and there’s really no avoiding what’s happening. Hopefully Duke hoops will bring us together as a fan base.

I appreciate the support and kind words. The reality of 2020 lead to the decision of creating the New Lounge thread. It was determined along with the Owner of the site, that there was no way to avoid what was happening. It was a rock and a hard place decision. Every single thread either turned into a bickering back and forth on party lines, or, there were just a ton of threads that were started for that sole purpose. Because of that reality, we created and pinned the cesspool that is New Lounge.

Here are some realities since we’ve done that-
1. Nearly no other thread has been subjected to the derailing and political bickering anymore.
2. You don’t have to go into the New Lounge- feel free to avoid it.
3. Duke threads are starting to pop up again now that the season Is around the corner. Feel free to contribute to them and make them better.

I’m sorry to see William leaving but i understand it’s 2020 and there’s really no avoiding what’s happening. Hopefully Duke hoops will bring us together as a fan base.
Then end threads as soon as non-Duke related political/social bickering begins. After awhile they will get it.

Then end threads as soon as non-Duke related political/social bickering begins. After awhile they will get it.
You’d think, but you’d be incorrect. We did that for months. It also got extremely tiring having to tell people this is a duke basketball message board and leave the political garbage elsewhere. At some point you have to try something else, which is what we did. Hence, my point, it’s a rock and hard place situation. Certainly will never be able to please everyone but the mess Is all in one place now.

Reactions: kingbluedevil
Did this dude just say you don’t have a constitutional right to post opinions on this board? Lmao😂. Then barking orders at the mods and saying they’re polluting it 🤦‍♂️. Timo, way to retrain yourself👍

Did this dude just say you don’t have a constitutional right to post opinions on this board? Lmao😂. Then barking orders at the mods and saying they’re polluting it 🤦‍♂️. Timo, way to retrain yourself👍
[/QUOTE)IFaZe, you display your unawareness once again. The constitutional right to free speech only protects us against government attempts to restrain free speech. So, for example, a website or a newspaper or an internet forum can legally, and constitutionally, refuse to publish whatever it wants to, subject to defamation/libel and privacy laws, without violating our First Amendments rights. So, although I would Like to tell you what I really think about you (and this board is not the place), I will leave it at that, trusting that others will get my drift.

OFC

I knew you were gonna say exactly that before I wrote it genius...How about that 👍

Last edited:
Will, going to miss you my friend. Going to miss talking Duke 60s-70s w/you. God bless...#GoDuke. OFC

Reactions: Liftee
Sure you did.
It was the POINT of you bringing up the constitution to express an opinion...on a Duke message board.🤦‍♂️ This aint a platform like Facebook...Common sense says if the lounge has your panties in that much of a bunch take your nose out of the thread...:)

Reactions: PixelDevil
At this point, until the season starts, there isn’t much the mods can do but contain it, which they are....complainers

It was the POINT of you bringing up the constitution to express an opinion...on a Duke message board.🤦‍♂️ This aint a platform like Facebook...Common sense says if the lounge has your panties in that much of a bunch take your nose out of the thread...:)
Ironic that you, of all posters, would rely on "common sense" to make your supposed point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT