ADVERTISEMENT

Evan Daniels CB's Kessler to UNC

Knew we were playing with fire by going after Williams, Coleman and Kessler. Never thought it made sense to recruit all three. Now we better hope to hold onto Williams and Coleman and possibly push Blanchero or Baldwin to make a move to 2020.

Wow. Did not see that coming at all - especially considering UNC already has another 5-star center from the same class that is committed. Was really wanting this kid in Durham.

Roy's recruiting has certainly picked up in the last 2+ years. Funny thing is, getting better recruits (aka one-and-dones) might actually hurt his chances at a deep postseason run from time-to-time. He won't have the luxury of building teams that have incredible continuity like his squads in 2016 & 2017. Those teams were built on 4-year players. UNC lost their top 5 players from 2019 - and odds are, this is going to be a re-occurring theme for them. Will be interesting to see how Roy evolves with high turnover rates.

^ I hope you're right but I don't see it.

Roy's best teams play fast (with a lethal secondary break), utilize depth (usually), emphasize interior scoring (so their offense is predicated primarily on taking high percentage shots), and rebound very well. It really is a good formula for success in college.

Plug in the kind of talent they're likely to have next year (they'll probably add Z. Williams and either Caleb Love or Cade Cunningham, and maybe one or two more) in that system and they should be VERY formidable.

Wow. Did not see that coming at all - especially considering UNC already has another 5-star center from the same class that is committed. Was really wanting this kid in Durham.

Roy's recruiting has certainly picked up in the last 2+ years. Funny thing is, getting better recruits (aka one-and-dones) might actually hurt his chances at a deep postseason run from time-to-time. He won't have the luxury of building teams that have incredible continuity like his squads in 2016 & 2017. Those teams were built on 4-year players. UNC lost their top 5 players from 2019 - and odds are, this is going to be a re-occurring theme for them. Will be interesting to see how Roy evolves with high turnover rates.

I’ve been saying the same thing in terms of Roy playing younger talent. Roy’s track record with younger teams isn’t good. I expect Kessler to stay in college 3-4 years under Roy. He’s has a recipe of keeping top talent in college much longer than other colleges.

Last edited:
Reactions: dukedevilz
Well they stole Kessler from us i really hope we can steal ziaire from them
That would definitely take away some of the sting. However, Roy is due for a monster class. The key will be, if these players stick around as upperclassmen like in the past. Thats where Roy is at his best, when he can retain top talent as upperclassmen. Roy has proved he’s not really a threat for a title when relying on youth. If he starts getting OADs and starts 5 OADs, get your popcorn ready because it’s going to be a shit show.

Reactions: hart2chesson
That would definitely take away some of the sting. However, Roy is due for a monster class. The key will be, if these players stick around as upperclassmen like in the past. Thats where Roy is at his best, when he can retain top talent as upperclassmen. Roy has proved he’s not really a threat for a title when relying on youth. If he starts getting OADs and starts 5 OADs, get your popcorn ready because it’s going to be a shit show.

Appears hes going that route 'jurkin, and typically its not his niche as you said. Per the Kessler commitment, not surprised after I read Matt Giles column yesterday. Kessler's dad was heaping praise on 'Cheatin Roy Williams, talking about "what a great guy" he was, and Kessler was already calling him "Coach Roy." Surprised me really-felt like Kessler was too smart to fall for the phony Roy "aw shucks" routine. Hope it Harrison Barnes on 'em and he matches the falcon's number of final fours made.
Hey we will deal with it, we're not going to be chopped liver. OFC

I thought dorky lookin' white guys only committed to Duke?????? What is happening.

Oh well. I'm sure K has a plan, thought he was slightly overvalued as a recruit anyway considering he won't be able to guard a piece of paper out near the perimeter. K never made him the main big-man priority probably for a reason.

He was impressed by them telling him they would use him like Luke maye? Interesting...

I guess thinking becoming the next big luke maye was just too much to turn down along with all the "nanner puddin" he could eat. Lets hope hof coach roy williiams uses him like he did nassir little. OFC

Last edited:
Really not that huge of a loss. Yeah i wanted him but i don’t think he was a need as he really doesn’t have the play of a big man that we want. If he had gone somewhere like gonzaga or auburn i feel like most fans would be like “well that sucks but it’s not too big of a deal”. The reason this sucks is because he went to UNC. We’ll be fine tho. We’ll get mark williams and i get we find someone else too

In the end, not really worried though. If we miss out on Coleman and Williams, then I will be, but if we get both of them and get a big through the grad transfer route, we should be fine at the 5.

That's actually a good selling point. Maye got plenty of touches, and was given a lot of freedom.

That’s true but it’s still and odd thing to hear. Luke had a lot going against him but busted his. Kessler has a lot more natural talent so we will see

Reactions: Barry 24

I don't post her often, but it's worth noting that in Luke's senior year he averaged 17 and 12 over three games going 2-1 ...

His junior year he averaged 15 and 8 in three games going 2-1 ...

He doesn't have the highschool pedigree as alot of players, but you can't ignore his production ... did i mentioned he was also an all american ... i'll take a career from kessler that looks like maye's in a heartbeat

I don't post her often, but it's worth noting that in Luke's senior year he averaged 17 and 12 over three games going 2-1 ...

His junior year he averaged 15 and 8 in three games going 2-1 ...

He doesn't have the highschool pedigree as alot of players, but you can't ignore his production ... did i mentioned he was also an all american ... i'll take a career from kessler that looks like maye's in a heartbeat
Unfortunately for UNC, Kessler is a completely different prospect than Maye. If Kessler averages a 15 and 8 as a freshman, he will be gone, ditto for his sophomore year.

Kessler will never be an All-American, he will be in the NBA as soon as he gets his chance. Will be interesting to see how Roy handles this. His pedigree with NBA prospects is......suspect. Plus it looks like UNC's frontcourt is gonna be loaded and deep in 2020. This smells like Nas Little all over again to me.

Reactions: Quavarius
Unfortunately for UNC, Kessler is a completely different prospect than Maye. If Kessler averages a 15 and 8 as a freshman, he will be gone, ditto for his sophomore year.

Kessler will never be an All-American, he will be in the NBA as soon as he gets his chance. Will be interesting to see how Roy handles this. His pedigree with NBA prospects is......suspect. Plus it looks like UNC's frontcourt is gonna be loaded and deep in 2020. This smells like Nas Little all over again to me.

i'm not debating how soon he'll depart instead i'm stating that his resume ought to raise the attention of stretch fours and for those who laugh at are caught up in his name, not his game

It's been quite a while since hof coach roy williams reeled in the #1 ranked high school recuit in the country. Can anyone tell me who was the last? Oh wait a minute it's only one year. cole anthony and coby white and nasir little were 1and 2 in 2018 right? OFC

Of course I never want to see UNX get a top recruit, especially one Duke wanted.

But I've looked at the videos on Kessler and he looks gangly and skinny. Maybe at best another Hurt but possibly not the ball handling skills.

Duke will recover nicely from this and go in a different direction. As always, Coach K will adjust to the players he recruits even if they don't fit into perfect puzzle pieces. Can't say the same for Roy.

So Roy's 2020-21 roster should include:

Garrison Brooks, 6'9 235 Sr
Sterling Manley, 6'11 250 Sr
Brandon Huffman, 6'10 255 Sr

Armando Bacot, 6'10 232 So (5-star recruit)
Walker Kessler, 7'0 245 Fr (5-star recruit)
Day'Ron Sharpe, 6'10 246 Fr (5-star recruit)

That's a lot of big bodies. Like guys that should be reserved for the 5 spot. Not sure I'd want any of them playing the 4, except maybe Brooks. Haven't seen Bacot on any draft boards. I think he'll start Brooks and Bacot in 2021- which increases the odds that Roy will have Kessler & Sharpe for a second season. I'll give Roy credit for his ability to retain players. It will be interesting to see how he distributes minutes between 3 seniors and 3 underclassmen that are all top 25 recruits.

Reactions: Quavarius
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT