ADVERTISEMENT

Duval's shooting a concern long-term???

If he continues to make smart passes and get the ball to the really talented scorers we have, he doesn’t have to shoot another shot. His shooting isn’t the only thing that will keep defenders on him tight. If they sag and he’s free to see the offense, he’ll pick teams apart.

Yes he should be able to be serviceable in his shooting, but to claim it could cost this team a title is nothing more than click bait.

I’m not really too worried about his shooong too much. He’s proven that he can drive to the basket and score when he wants/needs to, as long as he can keep doing that and can keep finding his teammates then I think we’ll be fine. If he makes the occasional 3 or midrange shot then I’ll consider that as a bonus to go along with everything else he does.

We scored 124 points with him only scoring 4 ( Obviously not the same competition as ACC play )......We're fine!!

I'm sure there will be games where him nailing a 3 would be huge, but his ability to drive and create makes him just as dangerous in my opinion.

That article was definitely a reach. He say it’s a weakness then turnaround and said the things Duval does well eventhough he can’t shoot. We will be just fine. Rondo was the point guard of a championship winning team and Tre shoots better than him. We’re good

As long as he keeps his turnovers down and continues to make smart plays, he really doesn't need to shoot. I know he has caught some criticism around here, but I'm impressed with his willingness to share the ball and not be all about himself. Just keep working on your game kid

Reactions: dukehokie
That article was definitely a reach. He say it’s a weakness then turnaround and said the things Duval does well eventhough he can’t shoot. We will be just fine. Rondo was the point guard of a championship winning team and Tre shoots better than him. We’re good

In general over years of following Duke basketball I have found the media in general will try to "reach" to try and chip away at Coach K's program. Theres quite a bit of hate and jealousy out there for Blue Devil hoops...I think Duval's problems will only stand out if other parts of his game suffer and Grayson, Trent others are ALSO off from behind the arc.

OFC

That's right nation, leave him wide open, pay no attention to him. You're gonna get worked.

Reactions: dukehokie
I seem to remember a while back how this board wanted a guy who could distribute to ball. A guy that could get the ball to other players that could score. A guy whose primary role to make other players better because of his ability to get all involved. Well we get one and now it seems that he is not scoring enough. His assist to turn over ratio is pretty good. His scoring average is pretty good considering the number of players on this team that are averaging more points a game than he is. Duval a weakness. I think not. He's giving Grayson the freedom of roaming the court. The bigs can stay down low and are being fed by him. I really don't get it being a weakness. Of course I can remember Bobby Hurley getting his share of critics early in his freshman year and Ty Jones wasn't call "stones" right away either. I guess it's just human nature to look for weakness in other people. I do it. I wish I could stop it. So far we are having a good year and the games are going to get tougher and I'm sure on our game day threads I will throw out my share of recliner coaching but when it comes down to it we got it made this year. Just go with the flow guys and enjoy. OFC

Duval’s shooting isn’t a strong point for him, but he’s so good at other things that it negates it somewhat, IMO. As Duke fans we’ve kind of become spoiled with such good shooters over the years.

Totally agree - that's completely accurate on both accords. I don't find it an issue at all - but just to play devils advocate (see what I did there?) I would argue his shot is not the problem, his shot selection can be.

At times when he starts to get a rhythm, or attacks the rim and makes a couple nice plays, he seems to get a little more erratic with his shot selection at the wrong moments.

At the end of the day, his shot and shot selection need overall improvement and K is the kind of coach that is going to trust his players and give them confidence by empowering them to shoot at their comfort level. Hopefully it continues to develop.

Just my .02

As long as he continues to run a good offense, be smart w the ball and play good defense, his shooting won't matter. He's a stud, he'll be fine.

I'd say overall team 3-pt shooting is more of a concern than Tre's, specifically. It's not a strength for him, so it's not primarily what we're going to count on him for. If Grayson and Gary are off it puts more of a hitch in the gameplan. It's just like it would be more of a concern if Tre has zero assists than if Wendell has zero assists.

Reactions: sheyduke
hart, good post. I really don't look at his shooting as being a problem at all. His main job is to distribute the ball, and I think he does that quite well. As long as he improves his assist to TO ratio as the season progresses, everything will work out just fine.
Personally, I am glad to see that he will take a shot, and I do believe he will improve that as the season progresses. Trevon, along with the rest of this team, is no where near how good they will be come Mar./April.
Trust me, It's gonna be ok!!
Go Duke!
OFC

Reactions: hart2chesson
hart, good post. I really don't look at his shooting as being a problem at all. His main job is to distribute the ball, and I think he does that quite well. As long as he improves his assist to TO ratio as the season progresses, everything will work out just fine.
Personally, I am glad to see that he will take a shot, and I do believe he will improve that as the season progresses. Trevon, along with the rest of this team, is no where near how good they will be come Mar./April.
Trust me, It's gonna be ok!!
Go Duke!
OFC

Thanks JC-
#GetEmDevils

OFC

Reactions: jcdevilfan
As long as he continues to run a good offense, be smart w the ball and play good defense, his shooting won't matter. He's a stud, he'll be fine.

This simply ignores the reality that even if he does all those, defenses will focus on the other 4 and collapse into the interior.

Duval was left open today and was afraid to take the 3; and then he takes an ill-advised 3 when we're up 79-75 and that really turned the game around.

His poor shooting is an issue. And, he needs to mature to make better decisions. One expects he will but we just don't know the kid well enough to see how he'll do under pressure.

Today Duval was exposed by 1) his poor 3 pt shooting; 2) poor decision to take a shot at 79-75 with 15 sec on the shot clock; and 3) the ill-advised foul that became a flagrant 1 when he pushed the kid.

He has a ways to go in development if he's going to lead the team to the promise land. Hopefully that will happen.

This simply ignores the reality that even if he does all those, defenses will focus on the other 4 and collapse into the interior.

Duval was left open today and was afraid to take the 3; and then he takes an ill-advised 3 when we're up 79-75 and that really turned the game around.

His poor shooting is an issue. And, he needs to mature to make better decisions. One expects he will but we just don't know the kid well enough to see how he'll do under pressure.

Today Duval was exposed by 1) his poor 3 pt shooting; 2) poor decision to take a shot at 79-75 with 15 sec on the shot clock; and 3) the ill-advised foul that became a flagrant 1 when he pushed the kid.

He has a ways to go in development if he's going to lead the team to the promise land. Hopefully that will happen.

Good Post-ALL TRUE...OFC

Reactions: youngman42
16.7% from three. Jesus. Stop shooting, Trevon.

poor decision to take a shot at 79-75 with 15 sec on the shot clock;

He cant shoot the three obviously, and as you called it that possession turned the game around. Surprising thing to me was we were coming out of a timeout, and thats the shot we take???

OFC

Marvin Bagley had 11 shots attempted in this game. Grayson missed eight threes and got lost time after time guarding Robinson in the 2nd half. He says he wants to be similar to Quinn in his senior season. What made Quinn great was his off the ball defense. You can't give up 20 made 3s under any circumstance. Defense was pathetic.

Marvin Bagley had 11 shots attempted in this game. Grayson missed eight threes and got lost time after time guarding Robinson in the 2nd half. He says he wants to be similar to Quinn in his senior season. What made Quinn great was his off the ball defense. You can't give up 20 made 3s under any circumstance. Defense was pathetic.

"Pathetic" is right. Sure they shot lights out, but they got some WIDE OPEN looks too. Our defense just isnt DUKE DEFENSE and hasnt been for awhile. If you go w/predominantly OAD's you're quite susceptible to this...OFC

In regards to Duval shooting, I cringe when he does to but it’s not like he’s shooting when he has coverage in his face, he usually shoots when he’s open. I can see why he does shoot, if he doesn’t, his man can just sag off of him and just guard his drives. You need defenders to defend both. He just needs practice.

In regards to the defense: it was not good today, but having very little practice time doesn’t help either (12 games in 29 days plus a lot of traveling). They have 2 more games the rest of the month. If after the games vs Evansville and FSU the defense still looks this bad, I’ll start to panic a little.

"Pathetic" is right. Sure they shot lights out, but they got some WIDE OPEN looks too. Our defense just isnt DUKE DEFENSE and hasnt been for awhile. If you go w/predominantly OAD's you're quite susceptible to this...OFC
Your theory doesn't explain Kentucky nearly always having great D.

Really independent of the players, our D has been pretty poor the past 5 years. Even 2015 was mediocre until the tourney.

I don't think it's players. I don't even think it's scheme. I think it's coaching and what they emphasize. This whole month UK is focusing on two things: D and Rebounding. And if you can't do either, you don't see the floor. I don't get the impression the Duke staff places nearly the importance on D that they should, regardless of what they say.

Up until this year, Kyrie has been a mediocre or worse defender. This year he's a plus defender. He chalks it up to the coaching.

I wish we had a defensive coordinator...

Really independent of the players, our D has been pretty poor the past 5 years. Even 2015 was mediocre until the tourney.

I don't think it's players. I don't even think it's scheme. I think it's coaching and what they emphasize. This whole month UK is focusing on two things: D and Rebounding. And if you can't do either, you don't see the floor. I don't get the impression the Duke staff places nearly the importance on D that they should, regardless of what they say.

Up until this year, Kyrie has been a mediocre or worse defender. This year he's a plus defender. He chalks it up to the coaching.

I base it on the fact the Duke program hasnt really had a solid Duke like D since the '15 team. That natty winning team could lock you up when they WANTED to.....I am sorry- I am much more concerned about Duke than Kentucky...

OFC

It’s scheme. The overplay man to man switching defense doesn’t work in modern basketball with more back door cuts and pick and rolls. Zones haven’t worked in years.

He is quickly becoming my least favorite player on this team.

The kid can't shoot, is a showboat every time he is bringing the ball up the court, and apparently does not always make the best decisions, considering his flagrant foul killed ANY chance we had of a comeback.

Excellent athlete with above average court vision, but his style of play just rubs me the wrong way....He needs to embrace fundamentals....The legendary point guard in Blue Devil history were not flashy; they were consistent and selfless.

Last edited:
He is quickly becoming my least favorite player on this team.

The kid can't shoot, is a showboat every time he is bringing the ball up the court, and apparently is a moron too, considering his flagrant foul killed ANY chance we had of a comeback.

Excellent athlete with above average court vision, but his style of play just rubs me the wrong way....He needs to embrace fundamentals....The legendary point guard in Blue Devil history were not flashy; they were consistent and selfless.

Calling our players morons here won’t fly.

Reactions: skysdad
I'll edit the word to be less offensive.

Poor choice on my part....

I've been a Duke fan for close to three decades. Not looking to be labeled a troll or start forum fights....Just very disappointed.

Last edited:
I'll edit the word to be less offensive.

Poor choice on my part....

I've been a Duke fan for close to three decades. Not looking to be labeled a troll or start forum fights....Just very disappointed.

No worries. All of us are frustrated today.

Today sucked. But I'm of the opinion Tre has to take shots, better to miss them now. He's young. I think he figures it out soon.

Tre needs to take as many jumpers as possible everyday, practice, practice, practice....The more he can see the ball go thru the hoop the better off he will be....OFC

Keep in mind that in his senior year of high school he shot 33% from three. He's not a good shooter in a slump that needs to shoot out of it. I'd prefer he not take corner threes in a close game coming down to the wire.

Keep in mind that in his senior year of high school he shot 33% from three. He's not a good shooter in a slump that needs to shoot out of it. I'd prefer he not take corner threes in a close game coming down to the wire.

I doubt he will ever be a good shooter. Usually by this stage you either are or you are not....I only hope he could hit it often enough where he cannot be left wide open.

Certainly it was a terrible shot out of the timeout, but thats not all on Duval- its K too... The K police on here dont like to hear that, but thats my opinion. OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
I doubt K drew up the play with the intention of Duval shooting a corner three with 16 seconds on the shot clock. Call it a hunch....or common sense.

Reactions: skysdad
I doubt K drew up the play with the intention of Duval shooting a corner three with 16 seconds on the shot clock. Call it a hunch....or common sense.

Haha -

I still say the issue isn't his shooting - it's his shot selection. He's going to have to hit shots for us at some point in time - and K is going to give him the green light to build his confidence. I more interested in seeing him understand game situations (yesterday with .16 left) than I am in him not shooting at all.

Just my .02

I have watched him closely. I pay close attention to demeanor and body language.

It's not as though he's lacking as a competitor because he can attack the rim off the dribble and does make those shots. Just watch him when the defender gives him room to shoot it, most of the time he doesn't even take a look to keep the defender honest. He will only even take a shot when he's not under pressure or if he's under extreme pressure.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT