ADVERTISEMENT

Duval

Jake1985

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 7, 2002
When has Duke had a PG like Duval.
- Better ball handler than Kyrie (not the shooter)
- bigger, faster, stronger than Tyus

I've watch just about every vid and read player evaluations on him and he's much different than any other PG that Duke has had recently

When has Duke had a PG like Duval.
- Better ball handler than Kyrie (not the shooter)
- bigger, faster, stronger than Tyus

I've watch just about every vid and read player evaluations on him and he's much different than any other PG that Duke has had recently

Tyus had something IMPOSSIBLE to measure at this point.......The ability to TAKEOVER and come thru on the biggest stage at the most critical moments in college hoops.....Kyrie has shown it in the pros. Call it heart, courage, guts, whatever INTANGIBLE you wish....Hopefully Duval has it as well....OFC

OFC

Let's not get too excited. He hasn't even practiced with Duke yet. Kyrie's got and had good handles. Tyus could do both also.And let us not forget Hurley. Great handle, more than an adequate shooter and his dribble speed was second to none. Let's talk about this after Duval has played a season. OFC

Those type PGs don't come around often. Those that had ice water in their veins. Who weren't afraid to take that big shot. We have been fortunate to have three in Hurley, J-Will, and Tyus. Hopefully Trevon will be the fourth.

Kyrie's injury will always have me wondering what if. I remember dominating a good K-State team that year and hearing the announcers say Duke is the best team in the country and it's not even close.

Yes and then Kyrie went off on Michigan State also. Man, what could've been

Tyus had something IMPOSSIBLE to measure at this point.......The ability to TAKEOVER and come thru on the biggest stage at the most critical moments in college hoops.....Kyrie has shown it in the pros. Call it heart, courage, guts, whatever INTANGIBLE you wish....Hopefully Duval has it as well....OFC

OFC

Agreed. Tyus' intangibles were immeasurable. The kid got everyone involved early and if the team was still losing, he took over and always delivered. This would be his senior year. Imagine if he'd stayed all 4 years like originally thought. Ok, back to reality. I'm looking forward to Duval. He'll bring elite athleticism we haven't seen since Williams/Duhon at the PG position. I hope that means more steals and points off defense in transition. We need to be able to score easily since we won't be able to stretch the defense without a true stretch 4.

Last edited:
I think he is going to be terrific for Duke, but as Sky said, we can pump the brakes a little. He is not a better ball handler than Kyrie, who arguably has the best handle in the world. That one isn't close.

I don't know how TD will compare to past Duke PGs, but it will be fun to watch. I do know he is exactly what this Duke team needed.

Those type PGs don't come around often. Those that had ice water in their veins. Who weren't afraid to take that big shot. We have been fortunate to have three in Hurley, J-Will, and Tyus. Hopefully Trevon will be the fourth.

Prolly doesn't need to take those shots but does need to make those plays. What I mean is maybe all he needs to do is set up a guy like Grayson, who has made big shots for us. A good point guard puts his teamates in positions to be successful. How about a pick and roll with one of our bigs where we have Tre attacking, a big rolling and Grayson shifting up for the kick out? Sounds like a winning combo to me.

Jay Williams was just as dynamic, Uber athletic, big time shooter, and clutch. No way he has a better handle than Kyrie. Kyrie is the reason that Brandon Knight's most memorable NBA moment is from him being dropped on his backside; trying to guard Kyrie in the NBA's Rising Stars game. Trevon as a player seems very similar to Kris Dunn, a great collegiate point guard who never had the type talent around him that Trevon will.

As far as the great point guards Duke has had, Kyrie can't be talked about like the others. Yeah he's special now and was for Duke, but he didn't play much. Duvals comparisons has to be Tyus, J Williams and Hurley. Those 3 were the best 3 to run the point for Duke. Like Sky said, too early to say how good Duval is. Let's talk about him next April

Reactions: hart2chesson
Yeah Duval is much more Jay Williams without the shot than Kyrie or anyone else. The handles comparison between Kyrie and Trevon shouldn't even be compared because it's not even close. Duval is a freak athlete w a nice handle and I think he's a game changer at Duke but let's hold off on comparing him any of the Duke greats just yet.

No one beats Tyus for me.

JWill and Hurley are the two best PGs we have had. Tyus was clutch but so was Bobby and Jay and they contributed several years. IMO, being studs for several years break any tie breakers to the one and done guys.

No one beats Tyus for me.

I gotta agree on your statement! I know he was only there the single year, but it wasnt just what he did in big dance. I think of him at UVA after the Sulamion thing and he put us on his back! Both UNC games he was spectacular! Plenty more OFC

Reactions: Duke937
I gotta agree on your statement! I know he was only there the single year, but it wasnt just what he did in big dance. I think of him at UVA after the Sulamion thing and he put us on his back! Both UNC games he was spectacular! Plenty more OFC
I think his combination of vision and game pace management were flawless. I feel like there's a way he could be a great pro, but a coach would have to build around him and let him have full control for a while. It will never happen.

I think his combination of vision and game pace management were flawless. I feel like there's a way he could be a great pro, but a coach would have to build around him and let him have full control for a while. It will never happen.

You're right. I remember him just undressing UNC off the dribble in both games. He was flawless almost in picking his spots....OFC

Doesn't have the athleticism for the NBA. He could be an ok backup but that's the best he'll ever do. A lot of "what ifs" had he stayed at Duke for another year or two.

Kyries handles are some of the best I've seen ..Duval hasn't even played in college yet ..potential to be better yea

Doesn't have the athleticism for the NBA. He could be an ok backup but that's the best he'll ever do. A lot of "what ifs" had he stayed at Duke for another year or two.
He's no less athletic than Nash or Kidd. He's gotten more fit the last two years. He's certainly not a prototypical PG in today's game, but he's at least as good as Philly's PG TJ Mac. There have been JJ Bareas and others with some success. I think Tyus is better than those guys.

I refuse to call Jason Williams, Jay. I don't enjoy him as much since he became Jay, and like to think of him when he was gutting people. Now he has tailored suits...

I don't get the comparison to J-Will. J-Will was a fantastic scorer, a quick defender. Kyrie has among the best handles but also has an uncanny touch around the basket on shots that seem very difficult or off balance on drives but the ball goes in.

But, Duval is clearly a more explosive athlete than J-Will or Kyrie. He can sky and get up fast - he had a between the legs dunk that was insane. No way are JWill or Kyrie at that level.

He's no less athletic than Nash or Kidd. He's gotten more fit the last two years. He's certainly not a prototypical PG in today's game, but he's at least as good as Philly's PG TJ Mac. There have been JJ Bareas and others with some success. I think Tyus is better than those guys.
Not sure I'd ever compare Tyus to JKidd or Nash. That's not a knock on Tyus, just come on, those are two of the best ever do it. TJ McConnell is a decent comparison, but he's a starter for Phili, he's backup for any other team in the league. Not saying he doesn't belong in the league, just don't think he's an NBA starter. The IQ is there, the shot is kinda there, the vision is there but the size, athleticism, and foot speed are not and probably won't ever be. He could've been an all time college player though. He's was a cold blooded MF.

No one loves Tyus more than me, but he's not in the same discussion as Hurley and Williams, IMO. The people saying otherwise probably didn't get to watch Bobby and Jason at Duke. They were special...and for more than one year.

Disagree and I have watched Duke PG's longer than yourself...OFC

Reactions: IPSYCHOSIS
I watched Williams but not Hurley. Can't say who's the best but I do know Tyus and Williams belong in the same category of dukes best pgs of all time ..kyries iffy..it be easy to take what he's doing now and confuse that with what he did here..idk I'm just glad we had all of them. Touchy subject ..if I had to take 1 though I'd take tyus ..some of that has to do with (jay) Williams and his suit lmao

I don't get the comparison to J-Will. J-Will was a fantastic scorer, a quick defender. Kyrie has among the best handles but also has an uncanny touch around the basket on shots that seem very difficult or off balance on drives but the ball goes in.

But, Duval is clearly a more explosive athlete than J-Will or Kyrie. He can sky and get up fast - he had a between the legs dunk that was insane. No way are JWill or Kyrie at that level.
Yea they are /were better lmao let this guy play first please

What Tyus did in one season was nothing short of spectacular. The only reasons I may put Hurley and J Williams over him is they also won the ACC tournament as well as the NCAA title. I agree with The Dude1, freshman year vs freshman year, Tyus turned into Superman last 5 minutes of quite a few games, even the biggest one.

I think Tyus' game could work well in the NBA. I completely understand why many disagree. I also understand putting the likes of Williams and Hurley ahead of him. I'm sticking with my assessment that Tyus was the best point man Duke has ever had.

I think Tyus' game could work well in the NBA. I completely understand why many disagree. I also understand putting the likes of Williams and Hurley ahead of him. I'm sticking with my assessment that Tyus was the best point man Duke has ever had.

I understand as well. We were truly blessed w/all three, and think of some of the others who dont fall into the discussion of these three:the self made PG in Scheyer, Wojo, Amaker, Dawkins (prior to Amaker played pg in his 1st 3 yrs), I could go back to Bob Bender in '78, and of course Dick DeVenzio in the late 60s, Steve Vacendak mid 60s, etc....Duke University has a rich tradition at this position....OFC

I have a hard time putting Tyus under anyone. I know, I know... Bobby, Jwill, Amaker... but man, Tyus was just so insanely clutch. I am not saying he is better than Bobby or Jwill, but freshman year vs freshman year, he ranks out pretty well...

I was just about to mention this. Tyus accomplished a lot in his one and only year at Duke. Neither J-Will or Hurley led their teams to titles as freshmen, which is HUGE. Hurley has one more title than Tyus, but Tyus has the same amount of titles as Jay, who was in college for 3 years. It's certainly tough to compare them since they all didn't stay in school the same length of time, but Tyus' one year shouldn't be a knock especially when he led his team to a title as a freshman!

Yes, I know times are different but both Hurley and J-Will played as freshmen, too.

What do you guys think would have been the realistic potential of last season's team had Tyus decided to come back for another season? We would have had the best backcourt in the nation with him and an All-American form Grayson, combined with a veteran frontcourt and one of the best talents in the nation in Ingram. That being said, we severely lack quality frontcourt depth and we saw how a single injury to Amile affected our season. Do we head into March as the favorites to cut down the nets? Just a hypothetical to get us through these long offseason months!

What do you guys think would have been the realistic potential of last season's team had Tyus decided to come back for another season? We would have had the best backcourt in the nation with him and an All-American form Grayson, combined with a veteran frontcourt and one of the best talents in the nation in Ingram. That being said, we severely lack quality frontcourt depth and we saw how a single injury to Amile affected our season. Do we head into March as the favorites to cut down the nets? Just a hypothetical to get us through these long offseason months!

With tyus wed of had the best team three straight years and two more ships. He wouldn't be stopped

Reactions: Quavarius
ADVERTISEMENT