ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS WAKE FOREST OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

krzyzewskiville

Oct 7, 2004
Winfield, KS
I'm typically the eternal optimist...but I'm starting to struggle to believe this team can win every time it steps on the floor.

But I think what's more frustrating then that and different than say the 2006-2007 team, or obviously the 1994-1995 team, is this team is LOADED with talent; but can't seem to figure it out.

It's hard not to continually look back to K. I'm not saying he should forgo his health and be with the team, not at all. But I think this is proof what he means to this team and how badly we need him back.

Ok, I'm done whining. We need a win - and if this team can't turn it around soon, we could potentially lose four of five...I don't think we will, but it's a worst-case scenario.

Today is a game WE SHOULD win. But who knows. Wake, in a lot of ways, has been Jeckyll and Hyde just like us so I don't think any of us really know what to expect. We open at a -4 point favorite so as the eternal optimist, I'll keep it up by picking them.

If we can defend the paint for once, hit some perimeter shots, we can win this game. Let's hope we do.

Today's game is slated for a 3pm est tip and will air on ACCN - Regional only or can be viewed on ESPN360.

Duke 77

Wake Forest 70

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's imperative that Duke gets out to a good start, and doesn't allow Wake to stay in contention. If the Deacons are able to stay close (or shudder, jump to a decent sized lead), I'm not sure, at this point, if our guys have the mental toughness to eek out a win.

Pedal to the metal, giving everything they've got from start to finish, scratching for every rebound, every loose ball, and playing hard nosed, smart defense. A total team effort, that's what we need to insure we don't get into another close game with a team we should beat handily.
And it wouldn't hurt to make a few shots also...and fts.

Duke 80
Wake 70

OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
It's pretty simple....play defense, take care of the ball, share the ball, rebound, hit your damn free throws and play a full 40 minute game without taking your foot off the gas pedal!

This team has been frustrating to watch. I literally have no idea what to expect from one game to the next.

Jumping on a flight for Hawaii at 6am, I don't miss many...... gotta get this one!!! Look forward to landing and reading all the gushing reviews of the game ;)

Reactions: pisgah101
Wake can shoot the 3 and has good guard play which is something we have struggled with all year long. Trying to be optimistic but until K is back I don't see us slowing them down. Hope I am wrong.
Wake 89
Duke 81

I think there's a chance we see Coach K on the sideline today. I had the same type surgery just over a year ago. I felt better standing and walking. I got pretty stiff if I sat more than an hour at a time. He's old school, so he just might be back. Any word on his return?

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
I throw my hands up and simply say idk. Idk how we will play idk how will will respond idk how or if we will fight.

Duke by at least 1

I'm going to be positive and not call any one player out. This will probably be my synopsis for every game moving forward. If we play as a TEAM and look for the best shots, we win. If we don't, we lose. I am going to go out on a limb and say we play as a team after what has happened over the last week and start to turn things around.

Duke 78
Wake 70

I think we win today, for Harry. Harry has his best game yet.

The only teams with better odds in Vegas to win the National Championship are UCLA, UK, Gonzaga, UNC, and Villanova. I will listen to the oddsmakers when they think we are one of the top 5 or 6 teams with the best shot.

The turnaround begins today. Duke by 20.

I almost got tickets to this game, kinda glad I didnt. I'm really nervous to see them play. Hope they got the message this week.

I almost got tickets to this game, kinda glad I didnt. I'm really nervous to see them play. Hope they got the message this week.
I was having a little bit of buyers remorse after the past few games but now I'm anxious to see how they are going to respond to coach K's actions this week.

Duke is only a 3.5 point favorite today. That number is a little small. Duke should be giving 7-9 points IMO. Looks awfully easy to bet Duke coming off of a loss. That spread is once again begging for Duke money. Hopefully the spread is not an indication of how Duke will play today. We need a win!!

LET'S GO DUKE!!!!!

Today we see if these young guys want to be a TEAM. With the meeting at K's house, and with what Capel is dealing with, if this doesn't have the guys clicking as one unit then the season really looks bleak. I'm being optimistic and saying the guys look at theirselves in mirror and say enough is enough and play like it's their lives on the line. Duke 83-65

well it should be interesting to see the reaction to the clear message that Coach K delivered this week. If the same tepid defense and team work shows up then I'm not sure what else can be done. Hoping the message was received loud and clear and the effort and performance reflects a renewed energy and a real Duke team turns up.

I think there's a chance we see Coach K on the sideline today. I had the same type surgery just over a year ago. I felt better standing and walking. I got pretty stiff if I sat more than an hour at a time. He's old school, so he just might be back. Any word on his return?

I think K may return today too, Duke90. He has so much pride in the program he has built that it's killing him to witness the meltdown from the sidelines.

Coach K has much more flexibility in the performing of his job compared to most people pigeonholed into a typical 8-10 hour workday. He can get up and down from his chair frequently and pace the sidelines a little to alleviate stiffness. Now, he may still be having pain, or healing may not be going to plan, and that would certainly be a horse of a different color.
K knows how he feels better than anyone, and he'll do what's best for himself.

OFC

Reactions: hart2chesson
Some random thoughts..

- I'd love to see Bolden continue to be aggressive and engaged.
- Tatum is ridiculously good at getting to the rim.... And not finishing. If he can start finishing, he could be truly deadly. Also better shot selection. Also passing. Also not just hanging his head after not finishing, but getting back on defense. He's good - he just needs more discipline.
- Grayson to get some of that rigor in his game back.
- What's happened to Amile? Where's he gone? Maybe I'm wrong as I'm not checking numbers, but maybe his injury is still bothering him? He hasn't seemed the same to me.
- Harry is getting more comfortable each and every game. I'd love to see him exert himself more on the defensive side.

Duke now a 6 point favorite. I like the line movement. Feeling better about things.

LET'S GO DUKE!!!

Today will tell where this team is headed...either message received or a downward spiral from where we already are

And for what it's worth I hate the black unis....out colors ARE NOT black I'm sorry

Imo, the only thing this game shows is if they are taking the right steps to being a team.

Blowing out wake won't show anything except what the team should be doing to every team.
Now playing good defense, making assist and shots and playing as a team will be all the right steps and not giving up

The only teams with better odds in Vegas to win the National Championship are UCLA, UK, Gonzaga, UNC, and Villanova. I will listen to the oddsmakers when they think we are one of the top 5 or 6 teams with the best shot.

The turnaround begins today. Duke by 20.

I'm with you. I have a feeling we blow them out today.

Today will tell where this team is headed...either message received or a downward spiral from where we already are

And for what it's worth I hate the black unis....out colors ARE NOT black I'm sorry

I feel like the blue jerseys have basically become the alternate jerseys at this point; we seem to wear them vastly more frequently.

ADVERTISEMENT