ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS VIRGINIA OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Just finished watching the game. This is the same team if Vern scores at the end rather than gets blocked. Same team whether we win a close one or lose a close one. Fairly low floor. Not a high ceiling. Can easily lose in the first round as a 3 seed. Can also find our way into the Final Four. Would sure be nice to see some of these heralded freshmen step up. Hurt, Moore, Stanley, lets go fellas. Same with our seniors.

At least we have no more road games this year. At this point just want to beat UNC Saturday.

The good thing about having no expectations is you cant get let down. Cmon guys.

Reactions: JCColsCane
2 points in the final 2 minutes. 10 seconds on the clock...no timeout called to set something up. Instead we try forcing it inside towards the guy who has 10 BLOCKS.

I don't get it this year.

Didn't get to watch the game live tonight and came home to the game not recording on YouTubeTV. Sounds like maybe it was my lucky night.

We're not a very good team right now....it's upsetting. And it's getting harder and harder to convince myself we can suddenly become good. I know people are frustrated, but try and enjoy this group as much as you can. The season may be over sooner than we want, but it will be over for sure six weeks from now. It goes fast.

Didn't get to watch the game live tonight and came home to the game not recording on YouTubeTV. Sounds like maybe it was my lucky night.

We're not a very good team right now....it's upsetting. And it's getting harder and harder to convince myself we can suddenly become good. I know people are frustrated, but try and enjoy this group as much as you can. The season may be over sooner than we want, but it will be over for sure six weeks from now. It goes fast.

time too valuable?

I don't feel as bad about this loss because the guys played hard. At the end of the close games we don't have many options. Carey don't have enough experience and makes bad decisions but at least he is giving effort. Our big issue is Jack, AOC, Joey and Hurt. One has to be able to shoot to open up the floor. It's a shame this late in the season and we have so many questions.

Duke shut down our two most consistent scorers of late, but our front line held court on defense and offense. But the biggest factor in this game was Bennett- he out coached K. Period. Say what you want about the officiating, but that didn’t lose the game for Duke. Bennett was able to have his team control the game tempo. UVA is really good at the 3-4-5 and tonight it finally started to come together. Duke found out tonight what other teams are going to find out moving forward- as long as Tony Bennett is Virginia’s Coach, UVA has a really good chance winning the game. They are one of the toughest outs in college hoops. Since the 2014 season, UVA has actually owned the ACC. To be honest, they have moved UNC out of the way to become one of the leagues two premier programs. Though we are not Duke, I honestly believe we aspire to be the next Duke, and with Coach K aging out- and Tony Bennett coaching the Hoos- they have a darn good chance of doing just that.

Duke shut down our two most consistent scorers of late, but our front line held court on defense and offense. But the biggest factor in this game was Bennett- he out coached K. Period. Say what you want about the officiating, but that didn’t lose the game for Duke. Bennett was able to have his team control the game tempo. UVA is really good at the 3-4-5 and tonight it finally started to come together. Duke found out tonight what other teams are going to find out moving forward- as long as Tony Bennett is Virginia’s Coach, UVA has a really good chance winning the game. They are one of the toughest outs in college hoops. Since the 2014 season, UVA has actually owned the ACC. To be honest, they have moved UNC out of the way to become one of the leagues two premier programs. Though we are not Duke, I honestly believe we aspire to be the next Duke, and with Coach K aging out- and Tony Bennett coaching the Hoos- they have a darn good chance of doing just that.
Yeah um, as much as I hate UNC, the ACC is still very much Duke and UNC’s conference. If not for those two schools the ACC is probably not still around so, hold your horses on that kinda talk. Y’all have definitely elevated the conference of late and Tony Bennett is a kick ass coach, but UVA has a long way to go to boot out UNC or Duke as the two top programs. Also, tonight’s game was less about coaching and more so the fact that three of our top scorers decided to not even get off the bus and combine for 6 points.

It was frustrating that K countered a defensive team that can't score (UVA) with his own defensive team that can't score - giving Goldwire 25 minutes and Javin his most minutes of the season with 23. That made no sense. If they had some great scorers to counter with defense, sure.

But, O'Connell, who had a good game against Wake and has been our most consistent off the bench 3 point shooter - gets hardly any time. Same with Hurt.

I think that was just poor strategy.

Of course, I think the inconsistency of playing time for Javin, Alex, Jack and Joey from game to game means they will hardly have the confidence to step up and play to their max potential in any big game.

That this team has regressed rather than improved is frustrating. Especially with it potentially being one of the deepest and potentially one of the best defensive teams for Duke in the last decade - something that, because of the one and done and top 10 recruiting, has been all but lost at Duke in the past 10-15 years except in 2010 down the stretch.

Yeah um, as much as I hate UNC, the ACC is still very much Duke and UNC’s conference. If not for those two schools the ACC is probably not still around so, hold your horses on that kinda talk. Y’all have definitely elevated the conference of late and Tony Bennett is a kick ass coach, but UVA has a long way to go to boot out UNC or Duke as the two top programs. Also, tonight’s game was less about coaching and more so the fact that three of our top scorers decided to not even get off the bus and combine for 6 points.[/
So the numbers mean nothing?? The reality is that there is a demonstrated changing of the guard at the top and the numbers have been consistent since the 2013-14 season forward. Deny them if you wish, but the evidence is there. And the amazing thing about it is that UVA is developing its program from the ranks of 3-4 star players, not 5 star players. That alone speaks volumes about Tony Bennett and UVA’s future. The next great legendary coach from the ACC is Tony Bennett. And rest assured, he will have a huge hand in hanging more championship banners in JPJ.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Reactions: dbav
A bit overboard - I’m not saying go hard by personal insults but it’s quite normal to be disappointed by this Duke team and it’s coaching.
Was more talking about the not regulars. Idek why I read some of this thread, lose my shit every time..

Reactions: Fourteen44
Not gonna rag on Carey for not going up stronger or hesitating. Tre missed him cutting to the basket and got him the ball late. Get him the ball a half a second earlier and he's got a wide open dunk.

We just need someone else to consistently step up scoring wise so Tre and Vern don't feel like they have to do it all.

Reactions: JCColsCane

The refs sucked...as usual you guy get by with your constant bumping in hedges especially huff..and I rewarcged the game and at least 3 of huffs "blocks" were clear as day fouls..so congrats lol

Bennett certainly saw something in Huff that we didnt account for as he was the focus of the offense for a lot of possessions. We didnt adjust or take him away so he had a big night. Sometimes its coaching, other times the players need to see these things too and adapt thier play...13 blocks in the game by UVA shows that our players didnt adapt to UVA's size inside

Bennett lost almost his entire starting team from last year. His replacements were not 5-stars; yet, he has molded them into a really good team that continues to improve. Unlike Duke. Why is that?

Goes exactly to my point- Bennett is the rising star among the great coaches in the ACC and has been demonstrating that since the 2013-2014 season. I’m not saying Duke isn’t great- they definitely are. But UVA has owned UNC in that time period and are becoming more and more, the relevant challenger to Duke’s ACC title chances each year. Carolina’s fading, UVA is not. If we played Duke 10 times in a season, Duke arguably wins 7, but prior to Tony coming, Duke would win all 10. That being said, UVA has played Carolina twice each year and since Bennett’s arrival, they have owned them. Thus my argument that Duke and UVA have become the power teams in the past 5-6 seasons in the ACC. If you remember, it was a young Coach K that brought the Duke program to its high status that it enjoys today- Bennett is the next legend and I’m glad he’s our coach. Whoever follows Old Roy or Coach K will have their work cut out for them- because both, in their own right are great legendary coaches whose shoes will be difficult to fill.

I was at a high school regional championship game, so I didn't get to watch, so this is a very uneducated opinion. I have it DVRed, so I might force myself to watch later. Looking at the box score, Hurt, Stanley, Moore, O'Connell, and Baker combined for 8 total points. There is a 0% chance of Duke winning a game when that happens. I haven't watched, so I'm unaware of the flow and such, but the minutes distribution seems crazy to me. This team's highest ceiling would have to be with Moore, Stanley, and Hurt playing more and playing well, and they are quickly running out of time to make that happen. With Goldwire and Delaurier playing as much as Stanley, more than Moore, and WAY more than Hurt, it is no surprise to me that offense was hard to come by.

This team is definitely in a funk we haven't seen in some time. Perhaps this is closer to what we should have expected all along. For the first time in six years or so, Duke does not possess a sure-fire lottery pick to reload after defections of pros.

Let's say we split our last two, then win one game in the ACC tournament. Does that drop us to a 4 seed? Hopefully we'll do better than that.

Was more talking about the not regulars. Idek why I read some of this thread, lose my shit every time..

Yessir I get it. It’s the reason why I’m spending less and less time here....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT