ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS VIRGINIA OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

But but but Hurt has “potential” and should go to the NBA after one season.

Laughable.

He was a #9 recruit in some services. That's over rated for sure. But I think most of this class for all of CBB is overrated. Definitely not NBA ready.

Wonder how overrated next year's group will be.

hey and that’s fine if you want to believe that. That’s great!!! I on the other hand have been watching Duke basketball since pre K days and believe me I have ended the year disappointed a hell of a lot more than ecstatic over the years. Most of these OFCs deep down know what’s going to happen at the end of the year when we get this late into the season. Most of the time they are right, however once in a blue moon 2010 happens. Maybe this year, but right now not looking good.

hey and that’s fine if you want to believe that. That’s great!!! I on the other hand have been watching Duke basketball since pre K days and believe me I have ended the year disappointed a hell of a lot more than ecstatic over the years. Most of these OFCs deep down know what’s going to happen at the end of the year when we get this late into the season. Most of the time they are right, however once in a blue moon 2010 happens. Maybe this year, but right now not looking good.
Hey, us YFC know it too.

I don't think Stanley or Hurt return. The NBA sees something in those two.We can say they are not ready all we want. Hurt late first round Stanley early 2nd. I am just hoping for Moore to return and no transfers.
Yeah hurt isn’t going in the first round. I keep seeing “he’s a shooter” problem is the shot ain’t falling

Reactions: youngman42
I hear you but if Hurt can return and be a lottery pick next year why not take him in the late first round this year? That's the way NBA execs think.

Losses suck plain and simple, but we have them every year. Some are ugly and some are just simply being beat by a better team, I think reffing was horrible tonight and rarely say anything. We as basketball fans just need to realize these things happen and hope our boys refocus and the staff wakes up and shows some fire too. It ain't over till we go home in March...or April!

I know that this will explode..but considering how we have played and who we have lost to this team shouldn’t even be ranked after this weekend.

Outside of the FSU win this team has beat nobody good since December. We have lost 3 of 4 vs unranked opponents.

Secondly if you think there is actual coaching going on you are not watching this Duke team. Someone should take a video of the coaches on the bench and play it back for them. K has been lifeless now for two months on the sideline...Our lineups have changed fifty times, and he has made many a questionable decision this year at end of these games from PT to timeouts to plays being run....He is literally throwing crap against the wall game after game hoping something sticks.

Its disappointing but it’s been noticeable for weeks now. It’s sucks but this team is what it is and it starts with the coaches, and they literally have no plan.
This is a spot on post!

Reactions: tripleb71
The frustrating thing is that this team has regressed since the start of the season, rather than progressed.

Hurt line (not sure how many minutes, but not much) - 0 for 2. 0 points. 0 rebounds. 0 assists. This is the #9, 11 or 12 recruit in the nation.

One would expect some growing pains from freshmen; a few good games early and some rough stretches. But 29 games into the season, this is not where you want to be.

Hurt and to some degree, Moore were significantly overrated by the recruiting services.

At least Stanley was only an 89 out of 100 by ESPN and ranked 32. He should be one who stays and develops. He'll likely be drafted on athleticism.

There is no way on earth I'm drafting Moore or Hurt if I am an NBA exec (unless I want an early retirement).

Those two need to stay at least another year. Really, most should stay and we will have room.

6 recruits coming in. If Trey and Carey go, and likely Stanley, but hard to say ... and Moore and Hurt stay we still have space.

6 incoming freshmen scholarships
Goldwire
O'Connell
Baker
Moore
Hurt
And possibly Stanley

Could make for an interesting team and challenge for K but may also result in some transfers if those guys don't get early PT.

The glaring issue here is who plays PG? Tre is gone so we have an incoming freshman to play point and primary ball handler? If you look at the FF teams they are usually stacked at guard with one or usually 2 who can score and create ( and experience). This roster would be thin on that front.

Can’t beat Wake, Clemson, UVA, etc - but these new guys are good enough for the NBA. Sure.

One and done roster management has ruined college basketball.

I know that this will explode..but considering how we have played and who we have lost to this team shouldn’t even be ranked after this weekend.

Outside of the FSU win this team has beat nobody good since December. We have lost 3 of 4 vs unranked opponents.

Secondly if you think there is actual coaching going on you are not watching this Duke team. Someone should take a video of the coaches on the bench and play it back for them. K has been lifeless now for two months on the sideline...Our lineups have changed fifty times, and he has made many a questionable decision this year at end of these games from PT to timeouts to plays being run....He is literally throwing crap against the wall game after game hoping something sticks.

Its disappointing but it’s been noticeable for weeks now. It’s sucks but this team is what it is and it starts with the coaches, and they literally have no plan.

Whole heartedly agree. Us YFC see it but the sunshine pumpers dont. But hey, we’ve got K, everything’s gonna be OK right!!?!?!
Right?

K is a major part of the problem and his coaching has been lackluster for at least a few years now (especially last year).

I don't want K to retire. I want him to coach better.

Agreed..last year with a generational talent we didnt seem to want to go to that well...instead it was a "freestyle" and create end game in most cases and we lost those close ones. I'd like to see more structured play calling

Same here. Been following since '78. 2010 wasn't as big a surprise b/c we had veterans who were the best players (Scheyer, Singler, Smith) and won 12 out of the last 13, including the epic 82-50 drubbing of UNC. So, that wasn't that big of a surprise. 2015 was a little surprise. But even then we only had 3 losses.

This team is in disarray offensively. They have no consistent shooters to speak of. Their defense has tailed off. There's no real rhyme or reason on the minutes from game to game.

Just don't see a surprise at all. We do know what's coming and it will be disappointing, in all likelihood.

A sweet 16 is about the best to hope for. Though as a 3 or 4 seed I expect a 2nd round exit. An elite 8 appearance and loss would be a huge positive, imo.

Agreed..last year with a generational talent we didnt seem to want to go to that well...instead it was a "freestyle" and create end game in most cases and we lost those close ones. I'd like to see more structured play calling
Last year we had a player that literally no one in the league could stop and we made him earn absolutely everything his own self. Every single thing he put on the stat sheet game in and game out was because of his insane motor and work ethic. It was ridiculous.

Reactions: pisgah101
Duke's pretty much a two man team this year. The lack of scoring or contribution from the rest of the team is frightening. Remember when we used to make 3's? When's the last time Duke lost 3 out of 4 games?

dude spot on. People won’t see it though. They’ll say meaningless nonsense like “ I’m still behind this team” “ I refuse to trash our guys” were all still duke fans. We all still admire and believe in coach k. That being said, the staff deserves 100% to be called on their awful job.

Hurt 1st round....may be the funniest thing I've heard all year
you can laugh all you want but scouts like 6-9 and can shoot. And he can shoot, even if he only shows it occasionally. That being said I really hope Hurt comes back.

I agree with these...take last years loss to Michigan State. Wasn’t it something like zero shots for or Zion in the last four min or something? Things like that just make no sense at all.

I also think K has pretty much scrapped offensive sets and teaching for the most part. He hopes OAD talent will make the plays necessary. He puts them into position to create and hopes it works out through their athleticism. Having any type of plays or structure has been absent for years on the offensive end.

Sadly we are extremely easy to stop because we run nothing. Everyone should cringe at any close game down the stretch. We literally have nothing to go to...no scheme to speak of. Just get out of the way and hope it works out....

you can laugh all you want but scouts like 6-9 and can shoot. And he can shoot, even if he only shows it occasionally. That being said I really hope Hurt comes back.

All in saying is if someone takes him in first round right now they are an idiot

If he wants to go then go....if not we will welcome him back

Maryland and San Diego St currently losing tonight. Not only have pissed away the conference, but also a shot at a 1 seed

With the state of CBB this year I'm not sure a #1 seed buys a lot this year. It will depend on match ups more than ever. We need to avoid an older, organized mid major!

Reactions: Duke1783
Coach K has been at Duke 40 years and has 5 championships. That's 35 seasons not winning it all and yet people still get upset and surprised when we dont have a team win every game or have a team capable of winning it all. This team is still just as capable as anyone else by the way. Outside of Kansas I dont see anyone else dominate. Some of yall just need to be Gonzaga fans so you only have to deal with 3 losses every year.

Reactions: dukesince91
Coach K has been at Duke 40 years and has 5 championships. That's 35 seasons not winning it all and yet people still get upset and surprised when we dont have a team win every game or have a team capable of winning it all. This team is still just as capable as anyone else by the way. Outside of Kansas I dont see anyone else dominate. Some of yall just need to be Gonzaga fans so you only have to deal with 3 losses every year.

Just as capable as anyone else? REALLY? Wow

Reactions: tripleb71

A team that is 23-5 shouldn’t be ranked?? What shouldn’t happen is you sharing your opinion around grownups

Show of hands, who expected more from this team prior to the season started?
This is true! Coming into this season, I think all of us thought that this was gonna be a bridge year compared to maybe the 15-16 season. I remember reading some media members even comparing this year to possibly the 2006-07 year, however I thought comparing this team to the 06-07 team was a bit of a stretch, and the 15-16 season was a better comparison. The wins over Kansas, Michigan State and the games of just crushing opponents by 30 plus points coupled with the fact that this year is wide open gave media gurus and fans to stop and look at Duke to say that Duke was kind of flying under the radar. So all of the sudden we are sitting there thinking we have a chance. It was the NC State and Wake losses that have really brought us back to look again and think we are having the year everyone thought we would have. BUT.. BUT. We have shown that when we are clicking, we are one of the best teams in the country. It definitely is the wrong time to be on a losing streak going into the final week of February and into conference tournament play, no doubt, but I will say this as well. Because of us being such a Dr. Jekyll Mr Hyde team, I’m sure that a lot of teams wouldn’t want to see us either. Either way I still love my Blue Devils!

Last edited:
we're all upset. some will vent and some will be positive. If you look at things objectively we've had a pretty good season but are trending down. we will either correct it or we'll get sent home early. It could go either way; but right now the evidence is not good. Still, things can change.

I have said this but will say it again, I don’t think people are upset with the record and not winning every game but it is the way we are losing and what appears to be a lack of coaching. In my 30 years of being a Duke Basketball fan I have not seen K sit and watch as much as I have this year. I may be wrong but who knows.

I have said this but will say it again, I don’t think people are upset with the record and not winning every game but it is the way we are losing and what appears to be a lack of coaching. In my 30 years of being a Duke Basketball fan I have not seen K sit and watch as much as I have this year. I may be wrong but who knows.

This. Its not the losing, its the manner in which it is taking place

Yea I can agree with wondering what's going on with the staff seeming so nonchalant during these games. Not the fire we used to see. Maybe age is catching up with K, but the mind is still there and the other coaches need to show emotion.

But still just a game and I'm not losing any sleep, no use in getting mad and letting it get to any of you!

Reactions: Quavarius
Yea I can agree with wondering what's going on with the staff seeming so nonchalant during these games. Not the fire we used to see. Maybe age is catching up with K, but the mind is still there and the other coaches need to show emotion.
I think players like knowing their coaches are fighting for them and are going to coach the hell out of them no matter what. This doesn’t appear to be the case right now but then again the camera is not in the huddle every minute so I may be wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT