ADVERTISEMENT

Duke vs. Syracuse - 9:37pm EST Friday

There's no way we should lose this game unless we're unfocused. We crushed them last time with only Bagley being efficient. We have better size, guards, athleticism, scoring and depth. I just can't see a scenario where we lose this game.

Reactions: christophero
I'm worried about Friday. Yeah we know Duke is more talented, but this has been the most bizarre tournament I've ever seen.

UVA, Arizona, Xavier, Cincinnati, Tennessee, Miami, Michigan State, Tar Holes, Auburn. Need I say more?

Reactions: christophero
If Dukes guards make shots and Duke rebounds I like us in the game. You don’t have to make a lot of shots in this tourney just make the ones that count.

Considering that we beat them by 16 last time, we should win this game. Obviously anything can happen in the tourney, however.

Syracuse hasn’t scored more than 60 all tournament. Heck, they scored only 44 against us a couple weeks ago. If we take care of the ball, we win this game going away.

If we shoot 30%+ from 3 I say we win by 18. Yes, they are hot right now, but Syracuse can't score. I think they will pack in the zone to try to mitigate the Bagley/Carter effect. There should be lots of open looks. Trent with a big game, Grayson is Steady Eddie, and we roll into the E8.

MI State couldn't hit enough 3's and their 4 who was open at the elbow a dozen times took, what, 2 shots all game?? I don't understand why they didn't have Bridges on the foul line to catch, turn, and take the jumper or take his man off the dribble. But what do I know??

Duke can play average and win by 10+. Is there a sports psychologist out there who can convince them they just can't play tight? That's how UVA and Mich State lost and the only way Duke can lose.

Hit some shots from the foul line and more than 30% from 3 and we're golden.

MI State couldn't hit enough 3's and their 4 who was open at the elbow a dozen times took, what, 2 shots all game?? I don't understand why they didn't have Bridges on the foul line to catch, turn, and take the jumper or take his man off the dribble. But what do I know??
Michigan State won some games close in conference where Bridges would just disappear. I think this happened this weekend. (well, he did go 4-18 shooting too)
How many times this year did Bridges have double digit rebounds in a game?
Answer: 3.
If I'm an NBA GM, he is not on my draft board in the first round.

Nothing is for sure as this past weekend should have taught us. But it's hard not to like our chances on Friday evening. Syracuse will try their hardest to muck up the game just like they did against MSU. We're probably going to have stretches where our play looks really ugly again....because that's what Syracuse is going to have to do in order to win.

If we score 65 to 70 points I'm not sure they can beat us.

I think we handle business and advance. Our guys look too focused. Anything is possible but the way we are playing I think we win 9 out of 10 against them. Duke 76 Syracuse 61.

Reactions: dukephysics
Jaren Jackson and Nick Ward combined for 31 minutes yesterday (15 and 16 minutes, respectively). If Bagley and Carter combine for 31 minutes, we'll probably lose, too. Thankfully, I'm certain K will not play either one of them less than 30 minutes, pending fouls. Not sure what Izzo was thinking giving Xavier Tillman and Ben Carter more minutes. Not quite as bad as the Patriots benching Malcolm Butler, but close.

Reactions: sgrooms and Mac9192
Jaren Jackson and Nick Ward combined for 31 minutes yesterday (15 and 16 minutes, respectively). If Bagley and Carter combine for 31 minutes, we'll probably lose, too. Thankfully, I'm certain K will not play either one of them less than 30 minutes, pending fouls. Not sure what Izzo was thinking giving Xavier Tillman and Ben Carter more minutes. Not quite as bad as the Patriots benching Malcolm Butler, but close.
To make how Izzo used his guys scratch your head even more is why he used Carter as the guy on offense in the middle. The last thing he looked to do was score or attack. Why not use Bridges?
If I was a Spartan fan, I'd be a little disturbed with yesterday's performance.

Reactions: dukedevilz
To make how Izzo used his guys scratch your head even more is why he used Carter as the guy on offense in the middle. The last thing he looked to do was score or attack. Why not use Bridges?
If I was a Spartan fan, I'd be a little disturbed with yesterday's performance.

Yep. I can't make any sense of it. It's the equivalent of Bolden/DeLaurier playing more than Bagley/Carter - and using DeLaurier as the guy in the middle to break the zone. Maybe he was overthinking how to attack the zone? Stinks for Sparty, but it certainly improves our odds for advancing. So I'll take it.

Obviously we need to come out with the same attention to detail and intensity we’ve seen the last two games but it’s hard to think of many ways in which Syracuse, one of the WORST offensive teams in the country, could score enough points to beat us.

It seems like a common misconception that the way to beat their zone (or our zone) is to shoot 3s. Both us and Syracuse are actually quite good at limiting opponents 3 point effectiveness. Last time we played them we shot 11% from three point range and won by 16 by getting the ball inside. That was a game where we were just starting to play our zone full time, It was Bagley’s first game back and we weren’t seeing the same Duval that has shown up the last several games. We were able to get the ball inside and dunk (and dunk and dunk) and finish at the basket. We were also able to turn them over 17 times.

They will try to turn this into a slog like they did against MSU and as long as we are rebounding and forcing turnovers and pushing the pace we should be able to get a lot of transition offense and hopefully a lot of production from our bigs. If our threes happen to be falling on top of that it will just be that much more difficult for them to keep up.

Duke can't fall into the trap MSU did, jacking up 37 or so threes. Somebody needs to be in the middle who will attack, and Duke has options there.

Since we are now a zone team, I'm assuming they spent a Duke-record amount of time practicing against zones in the last few months.

Optimistically, I would think that we are uniquely suited to play Syracuse since we play the zone as well. Not only that, but we have shown the ability to change the format of the zone. It is my hope that practicing it, and against it, will provide with a greater understanding of it than MSU had. Also, I hope our decision making is better. MSU actually did a good job at getting a guy on the free throw line, but never seemed to feed him and just passed the ball around the perimeter. I believe we have better drivers that can change that.

I'm cautiously optimistic only because we see the zone in practice so can adapt to it better. That being said, nothing is a given and we need to get the job done.

I think we’ll see more high-low action with Carter and Bagley in the middle to try to break their zone. Allen is going to have to continue to be the vocal leader on defense. I like our chances too, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s much closer than the last time they played.

Reactions: tripleb71 and dbav
In no way is this game going to be easy. Cuse is hot and I'm worried.

Really? They’re hot? How so? Because they beat a team that had 2 wins against quality tournament teams. Syracuse isn’t good. It was just a given that they would beat Michigan State because Michigan State can’t shoot

Dude, the last team in the tournament just beat a team that some people were picking to have shot at winning it all. I get that MSU hasn't beaten good teams and that Syracuse isn't very good, but to say Syracuse beating MSU was a given is just flat wrong. I mean, if Syracuse isn't good, how is it a given that they beat anyone?
I think by they are hot, Laettner means they just knocked off a team that some of us were concerned about facing. Which means, they should not be overlooked.

We need to constantly flash Carter to the high post with Bagley down low on the baseline. Carter is a good passer. Kick out to the assassins on the perimeter if they drop down or sag on the big men.

I am convinced that we will play Villanova, and that the winner of that game wins it all.

As the defending champ of my 280+ player bracket Pool last year I have WVU beating Nova this year! Need this to happen :)

As the defending champ of my 280+ player bracket Pool last year I have WVU beating Nova this year! Need this to happen :)

I actually have that on my bracket too....but I really did it just trying to pick some upsets. I'm not really sure I believe in it too much. My final four in our pool is Duke over west Va, Michigan over Zona
Duke over Michigan.

I am convinced that we will play Villanova, and that the winner of that game wins it all.
I agree.
If there was the guarantee that we play like we have the last 2 games, then I want Syracuse, Kansas, Nova, then Kentucky.
If we slip I bit, I want Syracuse, Clemson, Purdue, then Loyola/KState.

Am I crazy for thinking Trent would be deadly attacking that zone from the middle high post? I know it takes away from at the perimeter. But I would think it would pay.

Reactions: dukesince91
We have two really good passing big men that can get in the middle and make the extra pass if they need. They can also make that shot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT