ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS RHODE ISLAND NCAA TOURNAMENT 2ND ROUND OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

krzyzewskiville

Oct 7, 2004
Winfield, KS
We rolled through round one last year against Troy very similar to how we dispatched Iona yesterday but then quickly ran into a buzz saw with the Gamecocks.

Rhode Island in many ways is similar to that South Carolina team so we better come prepared tomorrow for what they will bring. They may not have the defensive prowess that SC did but they certainly can play. They're athletic and have nothing to lose - which we will get a lot of throughout the tournament but sending a message tomorrow against Rhode Island that we are as talented and prepared as any team that remains would be a huge statement heading into the Sweet Sixteen.

If we hit shots like we did in game one from the perimeter, we will make quick work of the Rams.

Ultimately, I think Duke wins but doesn’t cover the - 9 1/2 spread. Tomorrow's game is slated to begin at 2:40 pm est and will air on CBS HD

Duke 81

Rhode Island 74

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
If Virginia can’t deliver the message of just how fragile this tournament is and how you must bring it every night, it will never happen.

With that said, Duke by 20.

Reactions: skysdad
Duke 81
R.I. 74

Got to work today but should catch most of the game.

OFC

We play like we did against Iona, and remember what happens when you don't bring it, see UVA, we win comfortably! SO LET'S BRING IT!!!! GO DUKE!!!!
OFC

Reactions: christophero
Don't pound it inside, work it inside. Don't force it to Bagley when he is double, tipple teamed just because he is bigger. Wear them down by forcing them to defend us for 20+ seconds per possession. Take quick shots only if it is a great shot. Don't let them wear us down and get our guards in trouble by chasing their smaller, quicker guys around for 30 seconds while we settle for shots early in the shot clock. Wear them out by forcing them to bang with our bigger, stronger guys for 20= seconds.

Coach K is the master of all motivators. I can see him standing in front of the team and saying something like this is Rhode Islands UMBC game, and walking out.

I think we handle business today and win by 10. We have Bagley and they do not. I'll be so relieved if we advance. If we win today, I think we go to the Final Four. Go Duke!

Reactions: Mac9192
I am not sure how this one goes. We need to come out and dominate from the tip to take the upset minded Rams and crowd out of the game. If Duval plays like he did Thursday we win and cover the spread. If he struggles, we will struggle.

As we have seen guard play is the key to the tournament and URI ( upper respiratory infection) are guard led. These are the teams that generally give us trouble. I think we will be alright if we pound the ball inside and dont get 3 happy. Low number of TO's and touches inside and we should prevail. If we forget who we are...we could be the next headline

Turnovers are the key...our guard play has to limit them..

I’m admittedly nervous...and that mainly due to our struggles in the first two rounds...I’d really like to watch Duke Play next week!

We've got our hands full today, and our guys will have to be ready to play. Look for a tight game, but if Duke gets down we need to maintain our poise (unlike Virginia). Time to be a fist, and put the pedal to the metal. Go Duke!

Duke 77
RI 74

OFC

Well folks, we are fortunate to play in a 2nd game, so enjoy your team one more time, because this one is all that's guaranteed now.
If Grayson and Gary can limit their turnovers, and can hit shots when Bags and Carter are doubled, and Trevon will just let the game come to him, we will be fine, and I like Duke to cover the spread +, if these things happen.
We're 1-0 with 5 to go!
Go Duke!
OFC

I never feel we're safe in the tournament because we never are. Hopefully UVA's loss made the possibility of losing early more real for our guys and they see to it that it doesn't happen.

All the Whos in Whoville remained in their beds asleep and did not make a peep.

This is not like last year to me. Last year we didn’t have size in the post like this. We are an inside out team this year which gets us easier baskets. Last year we were perimeter oriented and if we weren’t hitting threes it was hard. Plus we played man last year. This zone with THIS team is different. Now I hope we don’t have to play it next year but it’s working good this year. With all that said I see ya winning by 12.

Duke 80

RI 68

I am not sure how this one goes. We need to come out and dominate from the tip to take the upset minded Rams and crowd out of the game. If Duval plays like he did Thursday we win and cover the spread. If he struggles, we will struggle.
there is more duke fans here than Rhode Island fans. now the neutral fans I can see rooting for Rhode Island. there is a lot of Duke Blue here

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT