ADVERTISEMENT

Duke vs Pitt football

BlackKnightNut

Cameron Crazy
May 13, 2007
Well after that win against VT people got really excited. Pitt seems to be up and down week to week, barely winning games they should coast through and yet beating UCF. Hopefully Q has another big game this week.

This game has always seemed to be high scoring in the past, hopefully the D steps up this year.

Thoughts?

I think it is going to be a much lower pt total than the last few years and the +/- is 48ish reflecting as much. Have not seen Duke play this year but I know you beat VT up bad so anxiously awaiting this game. If we have our QB and top two Rbs we should be able to match your pts. Going to be a close game.

Hoping for a great game w/ no injuries. H2P

I said last week that the V.T. game was the biggest game of the year for us and I think it was. I think about Pitt. It's the biggest game of the year for us at this point. A win is a momentum builder for the next game plus it's a division conference game. It is and always for me one game at a time regardles if it's football or basketball. I think Q is having an excellent year and wonder where his place in Duke football would be if Daniel Jones had chosen elsewhere to play. Thank goodness Daniel chose Duke and Q had the patience to wait. The schedule does not get any easier but we have a chance to win the rest ( I know ND has a great team ) of our games but if we get placid we could lose the rest. OFC

For some historical perspective, back when Wallace Wade was the coach at Duke and Jock Sutherland was the coach at Pitt, this was a HUGE rivalry.

Their battles in the 30s were legendary, with Duke winning the 1938 game in a snowstorm 7-0. Eric Tipton, captain of the Iron Dukes along with Dan Hill, had an amazing day punting and kept Pitt starting behind their own 20, 10 and 5 all day.

Someone had it dead on when they said Pitt-UVA-Vt were the Bermuda Triangle. They always give us fits, 1 down 2 to go. Idk if we win, but I know this team is REALLY good. I’d argue they’re better than last year’s team.

Someone had it dead on when they said Pitt-UVA-Vt were the Bermuda Triangle. They always give us fits, 1 down 2 to go. Idk if we win, but I know this team is REALLY good. I’d argue they’re better than last year’s team.

Pix, thanks buddy that was me about the"Bermuda Triangle." This was our first breakthrough w/a win over VA TECH since 2015. As you so well stated, "1 down, 2 to go." We havent defeated Pitt since'14, so Cut is 0-4 against Coach Pat Narduzzi.

I think Cut and Duke will be skyhigh to extract some revenge! Pitt typically scores a lot of points against us, averaging over 40+ ppg vs Duke the last 4 years. Like you however, I am more optimistic as I agree "we're better than last year." This Duke defense is vastly improved. I picked us to beat Va.Tech, and I think Cut and Duke finally find a way to beat Naduzzi and Pitt.

OFC

One of the biggest reasons we're better this year than last, other than being healthier, is 2 words...BEN ALBERT. It's all about the coaches guys, and he is the real freaking deal. No way Pitt puts up 40+ points against this D.

Hey Duke fans, how’s it going? Figured I’d stop in since I like to talk to opposing fans leading to the games.

I honestly think this is the toughest game left on our schedule. I think you guys are a very solid football team and we tend have troubles against mobile quarterbacks. Also, the score of the Delaware game is a little misleading. We had about eight starters for a total of twelve players out with injuries, including our QB. RS FR backup did a decent job.

Our offense has regressed from last year, but our defense has improved significantly; We currently have a top 30 defense and are 2nd in the country in sacks. Hopefully a lot of our guys who were injured can play in this game.

Should be a good one. Good luck on Saturday. Also, let me say that I hold Duke’s football program in a very high regard. I, and all Pitt fans, have a lot of respect for Coach Cutcliffe for reaching out to James Conner after his cancer diagnosis. No matter the outcome, I hope yinz win out.

Duke's speed on defense is the fastest it's been since I started following Duke in about 1970 (I know Hart, I'm a newcomer). It was the difference vs. VT, they just didn't expect it. I think the same thing happens against Pitt, that and the deep defensive line.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Hey Duke fans, how’s it going? Figured I’d stop in since I like to talk to opposing fans leading to the games.

I honestly think this is the toughest game left on our schedule. I think you guys are a very solid football team and we tend have troubles against mobile quarterbacks. Also, the score of the Delaware game is a little misleading. We had about eight starters for a total of twelve players out with injuries, including our QB. RS FR backup did a decent job.

Our offense has regressed from last year, but our defense has improved significantly; We currently have a top 30 defense and are 2nd in the country in sacks. Hopefully a lot of our guys who were injured can play in this game.

Should be a good one. Good luck on Saturday. Also, let me say that I hold Duke’s football program in a very high regard. I, and all Pitt fans, have a lot of respect for Coach Cutcliffe for reaching out to James Conner after his cancer diagnosis. No matter the outcome, I hope yinz win out.

Thank you. OFC

I just want to thank my mom and teachers growing up and my wife and kids now for encouraging and pushing me! I have been awarded my 1st trophy which comes with an actual point on this blog. Thank you blue devil fans and am anxiously awaiting our game saturday night.

I only wish I could skip forward in the game from the bojangles and pigly wigly commercials.

Duke's speed on defense is the fastest it's been since I started following Duke in about 1970 (I know Hart, I'm a newcomer). It was the difference vs. VT, they just didn't expect it. I think the same thing happens against Pitt, that and the deep defensive line.

The thing you are underestimating is that Duke's D isnt in the top 3 of the 5 teams we Pitt has played so far. PSU, UVA, and UCF are all better. No disrespect meant

Ill be looking for Pitt to try to take advantage of the lack of footspeed of the safeties. Thats the one spot where Duke isnt ideal on D.

Should be a fun game. Good luck!

Reactions: HailToPitt725
It's just time Cut beats Pat. We won't lose to Pitt again.

shi, I agree its time we beat 'em. Cut avenged an 0-3 record vs Fuente at Va Tech Friday. He's hell bent on breaking the 0-4 record vs Panthers HC Pat Narduzzi. Heck even fired UNC coach Larry Fedora beat Narduzzi last year! Its our time, and our defense is quick, its the quickest Cut has had in his 12 years at Duke! OFC

Reactions: Liftee
shi, I agree its time we beat 'em. Cut avenged an 0-3 record vs Fuente at Va Tech Friday. He's hell bent on breaking the 0-4 record vs Panthers HC Pat Narduzzi. Heck even fired UNC coach Larry Fedora beat Narduzzi last year! Its our time, and our defense is quick, its the quickest Cut has had in his 12 years at Duke! OFC
Pretty sure Larry Hat beat Pitt the last two years in a row. These last 2 years where UNx was hot garbage, their only acc wins were Pitt. Makes our losses to them wven harder to swallow.

Pretty sure Larry Hat beat Pitt the last two years in a row. These last 2 years where UNx was hot garbage, their only acc wins were Pitt. Makes our losses to them wven harder to swallow.

You are right my friend. Mr Hat did win last 2....We gotta win! OFC

Reactions: PixelDevil
Predictions everyone!

Its Duke vs Pitt and 1st string Pitt qb Kenny Pickett will be back in action after missing last week with an injury. Pickett's been rough on Duke, but has never seen a Blue Devil defense this physical and fast.

Quinten Harris is playing quite well as Duke qb, and may be the surprise of the league. Likewise, Duke will easily be playing vs the best D its seen since 'Bama. The Panthers already have 25 sacks this year!

The Devils are at home and I am optimistic about a decent crowd on what should be a beautiful and cool nite for football. I like the Devils to win by 5 ( covering the 4 pt favorite spread by 1) 28-23. Thats still a shaky pick considering many are calling this game a "toss up." However Coach Cut has a burning desire to beat PITT Coach Pat Narduzzi (4-0 vs Cut) since hes been at Pitt.Lets hope the Devils can pull it off!

A Duke win would take down another team against Duke's winless record over the last three years (2016- '18)vs the Panthers, UVA
and Va Tech. Beating Tech last week was a start in getting that "Bermuda Triangle" monkey off our back. For those who cant make it to WW, the game kicks at 8pm on ACC NETWORK HD.

OFC

Last edited:
lots of kids visiting tonight. most are 2021 prospects but a big big one is gary smith, a 2020 DT from tn. as i keep saying gary and ivey DE are (to me) the biggest targets left. we are losing hornbuckle, cerenord and mcswain this year as seniors. add the axel situation. next year dimukeje, tangelo and jordan are seniors . thats 7 kids out of our front in 2 years.

ps bowen our top wr commit will be here. he is also from tn so hopefully he will be in garys ear. just an fyi IF he were to commit that would be 4 of the top 26 from tn per the rivals site. thats pretty good

Last edited:
Let's keep this day perfect:

Liverpool = win
Yankees = win
Penn State = win
Gators = win
Duke = Let's get this done

Who is the eventual successor to Harris?

Last edited:
Need to put some points on the board and get a good lead. Pitt can score. Talking about our team speed I remember a couple of years ago Coach Cut talking about how much speed Duke was getting in his recruiting classes. OFC

Good news is our defense is locked in. Now we just have to get the offense working.

Can't get too far behind. #2 for Pitt is losing it. Need to take advantage of the unsportsmanlike. OFC

Just like in basketball turnovers will kill you. Let's go down and tie this one up. Lucky to be down only 7. OFC

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT