ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS MICHIGAN STATE OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

krzyzewskiville

Oct 7, 2004
Winfield, KS
I think we all really look forward to the State Farm Champions Classic every year but this year, maybe even just a touch more. With fewer games, fewer tournaments obviously comes fewer non-conference challenges.

I know we're only seven days into the college basketball season, but I think it's already abundantly clear that nothing about this season will be normal. Home court advantage will not entirely be nullified, but certainly vastly diminished, from one game to the next we likely won't ever know for certain whose playing and ultimately, whether the entire season is played will always hang over us until this pandemic is behind us.

That makes me appreciate these games even more than a normal year. Coach K is 11-2 all time against Tom Izzo but I'm not sure that means a thing at this point. The Spartans enter tonight's matchup 2-0 with solid wins over Eastern Michigan and Notre Dame. The Blue Devils, at 1-0, are coming off of a bumpy, turnover-laden, season-opening home win against Coppin State in which Duke was heavily favored, but staved off another SFA incident with a late push and an 81-71 win.

Duke enters tonight's game as a -3.5 Vegas favorite, but that's about as valuable as a warm bucket of hamster vomit (thanks Eddie Murphy) at this point in the season. If we don't take care of the ball better than we did against the Eagles, it'll be a long night.

I'm confident Coach K and the staff will have this young team ready and prepared for tonight's game and I like Duke's chances in what will likely be a dog fight. The game is slated for a 7:30pm est tip and will air on ESPN.

Duke - 74

Michigan State - 72

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: bfort2223
I think K uses the turnovers vs Coppin St as an excellent teaching point, and the Devils look much sharper to win a close one 74-70. OFC

Reactions: JCColsCane
It's going to be a battle. We usually play much better in these early season games against high end opponents than we do against lesser opponents. So this being the case I think Coach will have us ready!! Duke by a half dozen!!!
OFC

It may be a game where we see our bigs play a more prominent role. I think Roach will show more against a team without the quickness of Coppin State. If we limit the turnovers, we can win. 78-75 Duke.

duke wins!!!!!!........has there been any info why this game isnt in Indy like KU/UK?

Seen nothing of MSU and one game of our team....this one is a toss up but will give us a good idea of what to expect for the rest of the season, the good and the bad I suspect. A narrow Duke win would be nice.

Very curious to see how much we see Tape and Williams and Coleman and how effective they are. I honestly have no idea what to expect. Good luck to our boys tonight.

As long as we can be even in rebounding with them (MSU already elite at rebounding), limit our turnovers, and make our FT's, I think we win by 8-10. I'm telling ya, MSU isn't that talented, we should beat them, we just can't beat ourselves.
Duke 79
MSU 71

Illinois I'm much more worried about...

When i saw the line this morning, it was at -4.0 Duke, now it’s at -3.5 Duke.

This will be a tough one. MSU starts five upperclassmen, so it stands to reason that they are much less of a work in progress than Duke. I think Duke will take better care of the ball and benefit from getting past the first game rust.

Duke - 72
MSU - 69

Duke must cut down on turnovers and be much better at the free throw line.

This one has me a little nervous. Goldy needs to play better - I expect him to continue to get considerable minutes.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I think the kids are ready to shine!! Hope the vets can bring it too!

Cut down on the TOs and don’t overhelp on D....knock down MF FTs!

DUB!! Duke wins:83-76

Reactions: hart2chesson
This will be A very nice warmup for the true big ten powerhouse this season IL. That game will be really fun!!

Hoping to get off to a great start. We seem to have a tough time getting going the last few years in certain games. Don't need to start 2-10 or worse and fall behind early. Really puts pressure to get back into the game although I would much rather be down by 12 with 30 minutes left to go than down by 12 with 5 minutes left to go. Off and running on offense and get back on defense after we score. OFC

This are the type of games I think we will lose but we usually end up winning. Heck of a test for a young team.

Great start! Roach and Steward on defense have been phenomenal getting up on the guards!

Great start! Hurt is playing so hard. If there’s a loose ball, he’s the first on the floor for it.

Really liking this lineup. Great D out top with Roach and Steward is longgggg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT