ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS MICHIGAN STATE OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

huh? You must have missed the comments from fans who stated we recruited too many OADs, who wanted some of those burger boys to return (a statement many have made for the last 3 years). Well, they got their wish along with incoming players who shouldn’t be OADs. So....
Sure most fans like experience. But, we want experience that has improved. Balance is what most fans want. But, we've only played 2 games. So, it's a little premature to take a jab at what you think are the OAD haters. I stand by what I said about K. He makes the big bucks, he recruited these kids, not any of us. If, and I say if, Moore doesn't improve, and the team really makes no good strides, how much should K own?

That was a painful game to watch. Our offense looked like it belongs in the toilet, no moving, everyone standing around. We can win standing around when we have an RJ Barrett attacking the rim, this team doesn't have a guy like that.
The Negatives: -Johnson was bad, what was even worse was he would compound his mistakes into additional mistakes, he was lazy on defense too. He has to be really good for us to be elite.
-We had a chance to put the game away early. When we went to some bench guys (Goldwire, Baker, Williams) our lead dwindled and we never recovered, MSU's bench DESTROYED our bench.
-Baker played one of the worst games I can remember seeing a Duke scholarship player play.

Positives: Brakefield was a breath of fresh air, looks like he will be getting Baker's minutes moving forward.
-Hurt played really really hard. He's not Bagley, Carey, or Zion down on the block, but he seems like the best guy to run our half court offense through. He still needs to finish stronger though, missed some bunnies.
Hurt had a solid game no doubt and got a double double, but he is not a guy who should be starting at the 5 ESPECIALLY when we have Mark Williams, or a grad transfer in Tape who should be playing at the 5. If Duke starts Hurt at the 5 against Kofi Kockburn next Tuesday then well... it’s gonna be a very long night for Hurt.

Reactions: DukeNation12
Sure most fans like experience. But, we want experience that has improved. Balance is what most fans want. But, we've only played 2 games. So, it's a little premature to take a jab at what you think are the OAD haters. I stand by what I said about K. He makes the big bucks, he recruited these kids, not any of us. If, and I say if, Moore doesn't improve, and the team really makes no good strides, how much should K own?

ok now you’re moving the goal post. Also, someone else blamed last nights loss on K’s recruitment of OADs, so I’m not the one being premature and I explained this is the type of team most fans (OAD haters) have been dreaming of and now you’re saying no, it’s returning, improved, experienced players you really want. Noted.

ok now you’re moving the goal post. Also, someone else blamed last nights loss on K’s recruitment of OADs, so I’m not the one being premature and I explained this is the type of team most fans (OAD haters) have been dreaming of and now you’re saying no, it’s returning, improved, experienced players you really want. Noted.
Look up the word balance Q. I like balance. You took a jab at a group of fans. Many fans are overreacting. We might not be good. Time will tell. I’ve never said I don’t like OAD’s. Don’t spin it.

Reactions: DukeNation12
Look up the word balance Q. I like balance. You took a jab at a group of fans. Many fans are overreacting. We might not be good. Time will tell. I’ve never said I don’t like OAD’s. Don’t spin it.

ok, well if my comments didn’t apply to you, why are you getting defensive? It’s cool to like balance I’m sure everyone would love balance in a perfect world, but all recruiting classes aren’t the same. If you never said you don’t like OAD’s then cool. If you’d notice, I was responding to another poster who blamed our loss on OADs. Did you see that?

ok, well if my comments didn’t apply to you, why are you getting defensive? It’s cool to like balance I’m sure everyone would love balance in a perfect world, but all recruiting classes aren’t the same. If you never said you don’t like OAD’s then cool. If you’d notice, I was responding to another poster who blamed our loss on OADs. Did you see that?
Not defensive. You made a point that I thought wasn’t accurate, so I responded. Think anyone fussing right now, or taking jabs at us losing when we have returning players on the floor isn’t fair 2 games into the season. Carry on

Not defensive. You made a point that I thought wasn’t accurate, so I responded. Think anyone fussing right now, or taking jabs at us losing when we have returning players on the floor isn’t fair 2 games into the season. Carry on

...or blaming it on OADs

Hence my response

Reactions: Mac9192
We should still make the tournament. Maybe not a top 4 seed but that's ok. Hopefully the freshmen other than JJ come back. Brakefield could be one and done if he shows those skills some more. We need more from Moore and Baker. Those guys need to be our rocks. Hurt has improved. Goldwire is solid. The freshman guards should improve. Would have been nice to have Stanley last night. We really need Baker's shooting. If Baker hits 3 threes we win that game. I still think he can do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanInNJ
Right Christophero, if Baker makes some shots (other guys too), I think we win. But I worry about the short K leash.

Game 1 - Starter, poor shooting night
Game 2 - comes off the bench, poor shooting, fouls out in 12 minutes
Game 3 - feeling like Baker needs a solid performance, or who knows, but I am rooting for him!

Reactions: christophero
Of course that's a big if ha. If MSU makes more shots we get run out of the gym.

People game after game continue to say stuff like "I think baker gets back on track next game" and stuff like this...he has been here 2+ years and has had 2-3 good games...sheesh...we all want him to do good but the fact remains he isn't this sharpshooter he was said to be coming out of high school...and IMO we need him to make 3's cause it don't look like there are many others we can count on in that area...but he had shown nothing yet in his career...and IMO he isn't good enough to play major D1 basketball....and as I said just my opinion

huh? What does OADs have to do with losing to MSU last night? We may only have one (Johnson) on this team. OADs beat experienced Kansas and MSU last year (both away from Duke). We actually returned more this season than in most seasons. With the unusual college basketball season due to COVID, it certainly helps to have experience in the beginning. We beat Kansas last year at the beginning of the season but by the end of the season, they we’re probably the No.1 overall seed in the NCAA Tournament. We’re young but our experienced players haven’t stepped up like we need them to, so I’m not sure what OADs have to do with our loss last night.
It has a lot to do with last night. When you rely on freshman every year that end up leaving, you don’t really develop as a team, and college basketball is a team sport. We have 1 senior and 1 junior on the team and neither of them are focal points for the most part due to lack of talent. Our 2 sophomores have half a season of experience. Michigan State plays 4-5 guys that are juniors and seniors. There’s a big difference between 21-22 year olds and 18-19 year olds. Notice how all of our national championship teams, w the exception of 2015, have been dominated w seniors and juniors. Even our 2015 team had Quinn and Amile to go along with 3 top 10 recruits. I agree, our teams the past few years have been talented enough to win some big games but this team doesn’t have that type of freshman talent so they will struggle. Doesn’t mean they can’t or won’t give themselves a shot to make the final four but we shouldn’t be surprised when they struggle mightily like that did for long stretches last night.

It has a lot to do with last night. When you rely on freshman every year that end up leaving, you don’t really develop as a team, and college basketball is a team sport. We have 1 senior and 1 junior on the team and neither of them are focal points for the most part due to lack of talent. Our 2 sophomores have half a season of experience. Michigan State plays 4-5 guys that are juniors and seniors. There’s a big difference between 21-22 year olds and 18-19 year olds. Notice how all of our national championship teams, w the exception of 2015, have been dominated w seniors and juniors. Even our 2015 team had Quinn and Amile to go along with 3 top 10 recruits. I agree, our teams the past few years have been talented enough to win some big games but this team doesn’t have that type of freshman talent so they will struggle. Doesn’t mean they can’t or won’t give themselves a shot to make the final four but we shouldn’t be surprised when they struggle mightily like that did for long stretches last night.

2 sophomores have a half season experience? Didn't both play the entire regular season last year? Sorry but that's more than half a season

Reactions: Quavarius
But you’re blaming one loss—the second game of the season—on OADs, which is astounding. The only OAD on this team is Johnson. You saying we lost because of him? THIS is the team most Duke fans have been longing for. Maybe getting the best talent is the best way to go!

It's complicated though. You need balance. Yes you want guys to come back but you also need the right guys to come back and those guys to improve. Say Cassius and Bolden or Luke come back. Or Jackson or Trent or Duval. That could have changed everything. Even one of those guys back is a game changer. It just is a little frustrating starting over every year. We did get Hurt and Moore back and I am grateful.

Last edited:
It's complicated though. You need balance. Yes you want guys to come back but you also need the right guys to come back and those guys to improve. Say Cassius and Bolden or Luke come back. Or Jackson or Trent or Duval. That could have changed everything. Even one of those guys back is a game changer. It just is a little frustrating starting over every year. We did get Hurt and Moore back and I am grateful. But neither of those guys were getting drafted.
Absolutely it’s complicated. That’s why blaming it on OADs is dumb. In the age of OAD, most coaches would prefer that perfect balance. In some classes, it exists and some it doesn’t. That’s why blaming one type of team over the other is a lazy ass excuse, especially when this team is technically only made of one OAD and last year was as well (no one excepted Cash to leave at the start of the season) as Big Vern was the only OAD. So, we’re two seasons removed from the Zion class which featured uber elite OAD’s, since all OADs are not created equally.
We’ve had some balanced teams that never sniffed a Final Four (2002, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2011) and an alarmingly unathletic team win it ALL as well as an 8-man team led by four freshmen. As long as K is coaching, I like our chances, no matter the makeup of the team.

One thing I will say that’s encouraging is our defense. We just have to be consistent. The first part of the first half, we were swarming. We knocked MSU on their heels. Usually, our defense sucks at the beginning but I was blown away. Once our offense gets clicking, we will be fine.

One thing I will say that’s encouraging is our defense. We just have to be consistent. The first part of the first half, we were swarming. We knocked MSU on their heels. Usually, our defense sucks at the beginning but I was blown away. Once our offense gets clicking, we will be fine.

If we don't find some 3 point shooting I don't know if our offense will ever get clicking against good competition

It's time to blame the guy recruiting and coaching the style we are playing. Golden State is the best and worst thing to happen to basketball. Best because it's beautiful to watch but worst because everyone is trying to play that way. If you don't have bonafide shooters and a small ball 5 that can occasionally hit the 3 and play elite defense then it won't work. I don't know why he's so hell bent on this 5-out offense. What was the point of bringing Mark Williams and Tape to the team if the plan is to play small ball? Our best shooter is attempting to play the 5 where he's overmatched. It's puzzling

Reactions: bullettoothtony
Just finished watching the game. Not a very good team so far. We have one good player, and a bunch of role players.

Good news is it’s early. Maybe they get better as the year goes along, something we haven’t done lately.

@Mac9192 great to have you back! Agree, fortunately its early, and theres time for the obvious improvement we need! OFC

Reactions: christophero
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT