ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS KANSAS OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

krzyzewskiville

Oct 7, 2004
Winfield, KS
Well DI, we’re here - and I for one couldn’t be more ready. Last year, well last year was last year and we all remember the hype surrounding that squad after completely dismantling Kentucky in our opener.

But this is a new year, although another great opening night matchup and another battle of blue bloods. KU at #3 preseason and Duke at #4. I’m concerned about the matchup if for nothing else, that we are incredibly young, once again, and Kansas sports an overall experienced group...

We appear primed for another deep March run once again, at least on paper - but so far, perimeter shooting is a concern. Hopefully that comes...

Tonight’s game is slated for a 7pm est tip and will air on ESPN. I really think it’s going to be a fairly low scoring, defensive battle, but I can’t wait!!!!!

Duke 70

Kansas 68

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
I too look for a lower scoring game, or at least we need to keep it lower if we're expecting a win. I'm not sure we have the offense to win a high scoring game...not yet anyway.
Looking forward to seeing our guys play. Go Duke!

Duke 73
Kansas 71

OFC

Reactions: sheyduke
Duke comes out of a close one.

Duke by five

I don’t like that we were favored and then the line flipped to Kansas pretty quick. But predictions are meaningless for game 1.

Duke 68
Kansas 71

They outrebound us. Then we don’t lose again til ACC.

Reactions: dukehokie
I’ll stick with what i went with OTPC, bc i just can’t see this team scoring enough to keep this one as close as I’d like. Think KU is too much this early for this squad. Would gladly take being wrong.

KU- 80
DU- 67

Finally here!!! I think we will win a close one, and to everyone's surprise, our 3 point shooting leads the way!!!! Duke by 5.
OFC

Reactions: DukeDenver
This is such a wildcard being the first game of the season so I have no clue. I think out the gate Kansas might be a tad better but duke will get better as the season goes along.

Kansas-78
Duke- 71

I grew up in Kansas, hate the Jayhawks. But I am a pessimist at heart so I fear it will be a close loss due to an experienced KU. Hope I am wrong
KU 75
Duke 68

Sadly I expect a loss. Hope I’m wrong I’m just glad it’s basketball season!

Reactions: Dad2ze
1st game of the season will not define this team. 3 areas im really interested in seeing tonight (I know kinda obvious) - defense (especially talking on defense), 3 pt shooting, and how deep K goes in his bench and how long the bench plays.

I always hate going against duke... so I’m not going to tonight

Duke - 73
KU - 70

Alex O’Connell will be an X factor tonight hitting shots.

If they beat us tonight, we beat them in March. With that said, that perimeter defense isn’t being accounted for. I still think Duke takes it in a high scoring matchup.

Duke - 85
KU - 81

I don't remember ever seeing anyone on here pick against Duke on opening night.

Duke 66
KU 79

I have never gone into a season having so little idea of what we have. Haven't seen the team play other than in highlights. So with that lack of information, of course I think we'll win. Why not? We're Duke!

Will we see Exhibition #1 shooting or Exhibition #2 shooting? How does Duke's young front line play against one of if not the most imposing front lines in college basketball? Hurt and Carey absolutely have their hands full right out of the gate.

This is a head vs. heart pick, and I'll go with the heart:

Duke - 74
KU - 70

Reactions: christophero
this is a tough one to call. there is what I want to happen and what I think will happen. I think we get worn down due to foul trouble in the frontcourt and lose by 7. I hope we shoot the lights out with Baker and AOC and win by 10. Maybe something in the middle. Tough early test for our young team.

Reactions: jcdevilfan
Wouldn't mind seeing K go with a zone. Kansas is likely to play two bigs at a time - and their guards aren't exactly world-beaters from the perimeter. Isaiah Moss is the only really elite shooter and he's been battling a hamstring injury, so it's possible we don't even see him. If we can force them to take 30+ 3-pointers, then I think we will win.

Wouldn't mind seeing K go with a zone. Kansas is likely to play two bigs at a time - and their guards aren't exactly world-beaters from the perimeter. Isaiah Moss is the only really elite shooter and he's been battling a hamstring injury, so it's possible we don't even see him. If we can force them to take 30+ 3-pointers, then I think we will win.

I would worry about rebounding out of the zone. But if duke can’t keep their guards in front of them then this could happen.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Praying for a win, not feeling it. Jitters and early foul trouble will hurt us. Glad to see Kville start the game thread though! That could help. I'm going with KU 81 Duke 77. Sidenote....God I miss Zion.

Reactions: Mpm277
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT