ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS COPPIN STATE OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

The “vets” have looked rough. Lots of missed shots, blown opportunities, and so many fouls by upperclassman. Dj is awesome. But holy crap Jalen is unreal.

Reactions: youngman42
Duke will win, but I am hoping this serves as a real slap in the face to those who expected to walk in and just dominate.

UNREAL debut by JJ!

Turnovers...too many like last year
Poor FT shooting...like last year
Too many fouls

Thank god for Jalen an DJ

I'm sorry folks but Baker just don't cut it IMO...huge liability on the floor unless he is making 3's..,which he hasn't shown consistantly

Reactions: youngman42
Too many fouls

I'm sorry folks but Baker just don't cut it IMO...huge liability on the floor unless he is making 3's..,which he hasn't shown consistantly
100% agree with you on Joey

Reactions: christophero
It's the first game of the season and we won so I'll try not to overreact. But we need to shore up that defense and fast, because right now we would lose to Illinois and perhaps MSU. Cut down on the turnovers as well clearly. That said it's early and we have lots of upside. Baker needs to bounce back as we need more than 2 points from him. Looks like we have a solid top 4. Roach should get better so that gives us 5.

Last edited:
Reactions: jnastasi
It's the first game of the season and we won so I'll try not to overreact. But we need to shore up that defense and fast, because right now we would lose to Illinois and perhaps MSU. Cut down on the turnovers as well clearly. That said it's early and we have lots of upside. Baker needs to bounce back as we need more than 2 points from him. Looks like we have a solid top 4. Roach should get better so that gives us 5.

Joey IMO needs to play a little in first part of game...if he hits a 3 play him some...if he don't sit him on bench...try same thing 2nd half...if he isn't hitting 3's he don't help much at all IMO....defensively he is a huge liability

Defense looked terrible. Jalen and DJ looked great but we really need the rest of the team to improve significantly or it’s gonna be a rough season.

Coach mentioned in the presser that Coppin St. was playing 4 and 5 guards, which may explain why we only saw Mark for 4 minutes. I'm not sure Tape even got in. JJ is a stud, no doubt. He looks more like 6-9 than 6-8 to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
Did Jalen really have 19 points 19 rebounds and 5 assists? Without missing a shot?

Last edited:
Post game reaction and key takeaways. Johnson and Steward were incredible.

Post game reaction and key takeaways. Johnson and Steward were incredible.

Nice read. OFC

Coach mentioned in the presser that Coppin St. was playing 4 and 5 guards, which may explain why we only saw Mark for 4 minutes. I'm not sure Tape even got in. JJ is a stud, no doubt. He looks more like 6-9 than 6-8 to me.
I agree about JJ's height. Hurt 's height is listed as 6'9 and when Hurt and Johnson were standing side by side in the game Johnson looked to be the taller of the two!!!!!!
OFC

Too many fouls

I was thinking the same thing about Baker...seemed he was everywhere but where he belonged....bringing in Brakefield to d up that guard was good, late, but on time......22-23 turnovers, that was big and left a lot of points out there...GO DUKE!!

Coleman the talk of preseason, and then he plays...less than a minute. Welcome to Duke. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: IFaZe
Still early so not a big deal as far as it being a close game. Duke used to crush teams like this whenever they had championship contenders. Going to be one of those years you can't expect a ton. This team will have some growing pains.

Love what Johnson and Steward did. Lots of promise for the freshmen. But if they keep playing well we'll wind up with a largely two man offense and those two will be gone next year. Hopefully they others develop.

Unimpressed by the lack of development from Goldwire and Baker. I'm sure they will have some good games this year. But one would hope that after so many years they would develop like so many mid-major (and even major) programs develop players over four years. Duke gets so many like that (e.g., DeLaurier).

When was the last mid-level Duke recruit who came in and got little PT as a freshman, but then by his Jr.-Sr season developed into a really solid starting player? Probably Quinn Cook. Nolan Smith and Mason Plumlee could fit that but they were pretty decent recruits who didn't play as well as expected early on. Though Nolan got some decent burn early.

Ideally you want the not-top-10 recruits - especially if they are in the top 100 (though Goldwire was not) to become really good players 3-4 years later.

Seems odd from the standpoint that it suggests we're letting other teams dictate who we play.

Lots of issues. Lack of impact from Baker and Goldwire sucked. Moore and Hurt didn't seem to make the jump we were hoping for either. Johnson was good but, it was against a small team and he still couldn't seem to keep a handle on the ball, coughed it up what, 7-8 times? Steward was pretty much phenomenal and I see no reason for him to not be starting.

Anyway, it was just the first game and at the very least, for a solid 5 minute stretch in the first half we butchered them on both ends and went from down a few to up 17. Capability is there for us to be a severe pain on the defensive end and obviously we are gonna be a much more dangerous team from deep than we have been these past couple years.

Anyway, I'm not bitch and moan too much because we have a great group of guys out on that floor for us and I'm just thankful they were able to finally get some well deserved action.

Let's Go Duke!!!

Just had a chance to watch. To start with, I don't think there is any debate as to who is Duke's best player.

Not having the true Cameron Crazies advantage was big, but that is what it is and isn't going to change.

As several have said, too many turnover and too many fouls. That isn't a good recipe against a quality team. I won't overreact as this is the first game and was an interesting test for a young team seeing their first game action together, as Coppin St. is older and plays all wings and shoots a ton of threes.

Still early so not a big deal as far as it being a close game. Duke used to crush teams like this whenever they had championship contenders. Going to be one of those years you can't expect a ton. This team will have some growing pains.

Love what Johnson and Steward did. Lots of promise for the freshmen. But if they keep playing well we'll wind up with a largely two man offense and those two will be gone next year. Hopefully they others develop.

Unimpressed by the lack of development from Goldwire and Baker. I'm sure they will have some good games this year. But one would hope that after so many years they would develop like so many mid-major (and even major) programs develop players over four years. Duke gets so many like that (e.g., DeLaurier).

When was the last mid-level Duke recruit who came in and got little PT as a freshman, but then by his Jr.-Sr season developed into a really solid starting player? Probably Quinn Cook. Nolan Smith and Mason Plumlee could fit that but they were pretty decent recruits who didn't play as well as expected early on. Though Nolan got some decent burn early.

Ideally you want the not-top-10 recruits - especially if they are in the top 100 (though Goldwire was not) to become really good players 3-4 years later.
Quinn Cook was a McDonalds All American

Hurt was very selfish offensively and I didn’t really see much different from what he did last year. He’s looking like the same player

Goldwire has no business starting at point guard. That’s just not a role for him. He’s an energy guy. He just doesn’t know how to run a team at this level.

Jalen is who we thought he was. He is legit across the board. I would like to see his shot a little more but he looked good on that fall away. He’s going to be a top 3 pick

DJ is better than I even imagined. It’s a must that he starts moving forward. We need him!

Baker and Moore look the same as last year. They must just be great practice players

Coach K once again with the lack of adjusting on defense. He never mixes up the pick and roll coverage. It’s very frustrating to watch. I’m just looking forward to the day that we dictate how the other team plays and their lineups. We seem to always be on the defensive when it comes to scheme. Why can’t we make a team go big and put a true center in? I just don’t understand. He gets paid the big bucks to figure out how to play a big man against a team that spreads the floor. You don’t have to switch every pick and leave your center on an island smh

The team actually put up some really good numbers. We shot 53% from the field (33% from 3) while holding them to 32% from the field and 28% from 3. We outrebounded them 50-31. We also had 20 assists and 7 blocks which is really good.

The story of the game being so close was really just the obscene turnovers that gave them more shot attempts, along with a lot of runouts for easy buckets, and the fact that they outscored us 15-4 from the free throw line as we sent them there 21 times to our 10.

Those are fixable issues, this team has the raw talent it just needs time to develop and build chemistry.

Seems odd from the standpoint that it suggests we're letting other teams dictate who we play.

I just don't think Williams, Tape, and Coleman are good enough to dictate how the other team plays. It's one thing if we have bigs like Bagley, Carter, and Carey who could enforce their will no matter what type of lineup the opponent is playing with. But we just don't have that level of talent in the post this year where we can force an opponent to either go big or get beat badly in the paint. Williams, Tape, and Coleman will get plenty of playing time this year and may even have an impact and be key contributors in some wins, but they aren't overpowering or dominant players.

Hurt was very selfish offensively and I didn’t really see much different from what he did last year. He’s looking like the same player

Goldwire has no business starting at point guard. That’s just not a role for him. He’s an energy guy. He just doesn’t know how to run a team at this level.

Jalen is who we thought he was. He is legit across the board. I would like to see his shot a little more but he looked good on that fall away. He’s going to be a top 3 pick

DJ is better than I even imagined. It’s a must that he starts moving forward. We need him!

Baker and Moore look the same as last year. They must just be great practice players

Coach K once again with the lack of adjusting on defense. He never mixes up the pick and roll coverage. It’s very frustrating to watch. I’m just looking forward to the day that we dictate how the other team plays and their lineups. We seem to always be on the defensive when it comes to scheme. Why can’t we make a team go big and put a true center in? I just don’t understand. He gets paid the big bucks to figure out how to play a big man against a team that spreads the floor. You don’t have to switch every pick and leave your center on an island smh
We are always on the defensive side it seems. I said that last year we don’t dictate 🤷‍♂️

While I like Goldwire, I think starting and playing 25 minutes exposes the weaknesses of his game. 10-15 minutes where his focus was intense defense and his efficiency would skyrocket. I 'think' the turnovers will decrease naturally as these guys get comfortable playing together. The defense is my major concern. Coppin St. got one wide open 3 after another. We have to many guys who can't pressure the ball and still keep their man in front, then we overhelp from the wing and its a one pass wide open 3. Coppin State was 10/35 on mostly good looks from 3. If they go 14/35 in theory, we lose. There are a lot of teams who can go 14/35 on those clean looks. Our on ball defense either needs to improve dramatically or we may need a tweak in philosophy and I doubt the latter is an option. I do think we have the talent to be a problem come March if we put all the pieces together.

My impressions from game one.
1. Steward and JJ are for real and are both one and done.
2. Moore and Hurt are solid, complimentary pieces.
3. Baker did not look good, but he could go for 20 the next game.
4. Roach and Steward will be a heck of a backcourt by year's end.
5. Our bigs will have a huge test vs. MSU and Illinois. Having Tape should help.
6. Goldwire at 15mpg sounds right for this team.
7. The scrimmages showed us nothing, as there was no defense.
8. Brakefield emerging as a scoring threat off the bench would be helpful if Baker struggles.
9. we need more leadership from the returning guys.
10. We will know where we stand after Tuesday.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT