ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS BOSTON COLLEGE OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Great point above.... shot selection.... a major issue today. We're the best team in the country. Just gotta learn, Players and Staff

I don’t think the loss is embarrassing..but I really don’t like the lack of adjustments I am seeing...the Indiana game was a fairly simple adjustment and we should have lost to a team that took three shots the entire second half outside of a layup...today same...no adjustments to their perimeter and shooting...it’s worrisome...

I mean... Don't get me wrong, grabbing his jersey was retarded. But a flagrant? Haha.

I thought the same at first but on the replay he also apparently pushed him. There was a flop but it was also a push after holding the jersey.

Been playing with fire all year. Today came the burn. Learn from it and move on.

We have flaws on both side of the floor. Obviously defense, but we still take far too many bad shots as well. Any jumper by Duval is a bad shot, any pull up 3 by Bagley is a bad shot. Not finding a way to get the ball into the post is inexcusable.

Defensively there is no pride no hustle no fight. We have the ability to play defense we see it in spurts usually when we are down late and need to. Until we start fighting form opening tip to final whistle we aren’t going to sniff our potential.

This team plays very little defense on the perimeter and they get it corrected or there will be a bunch of these type losses.

Jay you can't put it all on the players today. Ya can't. You've gotta adjust. It's the biggest part of big time sports. Adjustments. The high screen switch was BRUTAL ALL DAY.

Reactions: DukeDenver
I mean... Don't get me wrong, grabbing his jersey was retarded. But a flagrant? Haha.

I don't get this either and have heard absolutely nobody comment on it. Even the commentators didn't address it. He tugged the jersey for a split second and they hand BC the game by giving them shots AND the ball?!!! So much for Duke getting all the calls, huh?

I love Bagley, but those two turnovers in a row cost us game. Grantid, others helped out with that as well, but those turnovers were killers.

I thought the play where Bags took the 3 at the top of arc (again) and Javin fouled out trying to get the rebound was a huge play. Javin was/is our energy guy.

OFC

It’s the players.
See above..quoted wrong
So so wrong...you blaming the last decade + of horrible defensive Duke teams on the players?

K better start recruiting better players then (eye roll) because they come and go over and over again...the defense is continually bad year after year...

please check the second half scores of all the tournament games we get knocked out of...the number of points we have given up will make you throw up...if you can’t learn a defensive system from August-March it probably needs changes..

Duke takes 30 3 pt shots versus 26 for BC?
Poor coaching and poor execution.
Team deserved to lose today.

Three things that stuck out - in order of importance:

1) Lack of intelligent poise from Duval. Where I thought the game was really lost was Duval taking a 3 with 15 on the shot clock and Duke up 79-75. You have plenty of time and you have to get a better shot than that! He's not the guy to take that shot at that time. And, then, the jersey grab and push (regardless of the flagrant 1 or not) - bad foul to take. But, especially the push that opened to that.

2) We struggle to guard quick guards. We have big, physical guards, but we don't have a lot of guard quickness. That hurts us both on dribble drive and guarding the 3. If we jump out at the 3, we're vulnerable to the drive. Teams like BC, FL, etc. will give Duke trouble.

3) I wish K would have gone to a zone and put DeLaurier out on one of the two guard positions. He has the length to bother a shot and the quickness and length to still create trouble even if a guard moves past him. Just switch things up. K's strength is his stubbornness. It is also his weakness at times.

Wow. Just when I thought we turned a corner. That sucked to watch. Hopefully during this break they will realize you need to play defense for 40 minutes and not a sporadic 10. BC got lucky with the long ball, but they earned it in the end. So frustrating to watch this much talent lose to zero NBA prospects. Welcome to ACC road games freshmen. Still have a ways to go, but I will keep believing in this squad.

P.S. - I hope BC enjoys their season long hangover from that game. They don't even shoot that well in their dreams.

Trevons missed corner 3 when Duke was up 4 was a killer.

Yeah, that was the really bad one. And it was coming out of a timeout too. There’s no reason Trevon shooting a three in that spot should even be one of our 20 best options in that spot. I would have liked to see Bagley or Carter touch the ball and get Grayson or Gary going to the basket. We score on that possession and the game is probably over. Oh well.

Reactions: bfort2223
I should also add that Allen going 1-9 from 3 hurt. I didn't feel like many of those 3s were in the flow of the game. Trent's were. Allen's weren't.

K over play switching man to man defense doesn’t work and is outdated. Teams today just back door cut it. Wide open lanes to the basket.

Duval can’t shoot and shouldn’t be attempting threes when the game is on the line.

Allen played too much hero ball. No feeding the bigs in the second half. Bagely was playing to much on the perimeter the second half. Carter jr didn’t play much in the second half.

Without Gary the last half-hour of the game we wouldn’t have even had to watch.
Amen that. They played a bad game with little intensity. They will learn they have to play at a special level every game because they are going to take everyone’s best shot

Our lack of defense finally caught up with us. Combine that with Allen going 5-20.
The d has too many gaps, and we allow too much driving to basket or kick outs.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Duke is not the best team right now, need to fix the defense moving forward. At least they got plenty of time to work on it in December since they have two games in 20 some days. Their defense is embarrassing right now. BC will finish in the bottom half of the ACC, horrible lose.

Our lack of defense finally caught up with us. Combine that with Allen going 5-20.
The d has too many gaps, and we allow too much driving to basket or kick outs.

But the worse part was we were out rebounded by 1. Even with Grayson's horrible shooting day, and BC shooting over 50% from the field...IF we rebound like previous games we still win.

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
Three things that stuck out - in order of importance:

1) Lack of intelligent poise from Duval. Where I thought the game was really lost was Duval taking a 3 with 15 on the shot clock and Duke up 79-75. You have plenty of time and you have to get a better shot than that! He's not the guy to take that shot at that time. And, then, the jersey grab and push (regardless of the flagrant 1 or not) - bad foul to take. But, especially the push that opened to that.

2) We struggle to guard quick guards. We have big, physical guards, but we don't have a lot of guard quickness. That hurts us both on dribble drive and guarding the 3. If we jump out at the 3, we're vulnerable to the drive. Teams like BC, FL, etc. will give Duke trouble.

3) I wish K would have gone to a zone and put DeLaurier out on one of the two guard positions. He has the length to bother a shot and the quickness and length to still create trouble even if a guard moves past him. Just switch things up. K's strength is his stubbornness. It is also his weakness at times.
Your number 2 in your points is so wrong. We have quick guards. Its the system that K has played and the lack of knowing it by the young guys.
I agree with you on the poise from Duval. It should get better. But our lack of d is more on K.

I don't understand when people on this board say "poor coaching". We are coached by the best there is. Ever. Stop trying to convince yourself you know what is best. Coach K has forgotten more about basketball than any of us will ever know. The players missed shots. They didn't help on D, and continue to show a lack of awareness. They will improve, no doubt.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
AAU defense doesn't cut it in road games in the ACC. No matter their record the home teams are amped to play us on their court...have to bring our A game. Cup cake wins in the past 2 weeks have made us a little complacent and regress back to poor defense. An early loss is a good reminder to the team you cannot take anyone for granted.
Having so many star players is tough - they are all used to being the man in the clutch times....Duval has to realize he's a role player not the go to player....we should pound it down low when up late..no need for any 3's...hopefully they learn and grow...its the March results that matter.

Duke defensive coaching has been horrible over the years. When was the last time Duke was a good defensive team? 80’s 90’s?

Have to agree with youngman here. the guard play down the stretch was the difference. we go up 4 with 3:00 to play, take a bad 3 and then 2 consecutive possessions without a shot. just inexcusable. Duval cant be the one shooting there. Just can't be. Also it seemed to me that he was picking up his dribble way to early. He needs to drive the ball more into the paint and bring defenders at him. He has the 2 best low post players to dish the ball off.

I know everyone really loves it when Grayson gets all physical and starts driving and ends on the floor. problem is then he cant knock down his shots. he must have missed every 3 he took today.

The key here is that Duval has to become better at recognizing where to go with the ball on money possessions. Its that simple.

All the talk about defense. You can't defend great shooting. just can't do it. Our defense -- I thought adjusted well in the second half and made it real tough on BC to score.

I don't understand when people on this board say "poor coaching". We are coached by the best there is. Ever. Stop trying to convince yourself you know what is best. Coach K has forgotten more about basketball than any of us will ever know. The players missed shots. They didn't help on D, and continue to show a lack of awareness. They will improve, no doubt.

K defensive scheme is outdated and this year team is playing too much isolation ball. Not much passing. Allen played hero ball and so did Duval and Bagley today. Not much flow on offense. Trent jr was the only one that shot the ball in the flow of the offense today.

Without Gary the last half-hour of the game we wouldn’t have even had to watch.
Yes and before this game he wasn’t shooting that well. He had a good scoring game no argument from me there.

My arguement was the same as K said prior to tip off. I worry about the lack of motivation from my team at times. Duke looked like they were never interested in the game and BC came for a fight while Duke pretty much thought they had the game won before tip.

Every team stubbles and Duke knows they can score but defense is needed to win as well. Hope they learn from this loss which I know they will.

Duke defensive coaching has been horrible over the years. When was the last time Duke was a good defensive team? 80’s 90’s?

We've been ranked in the top 16 of the KenPom adjusted defensive ranking ten times since 2002. Eight times in the top 10. It's the OAD era that has hindered the defense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT