ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS AUBURN MAUI INVITE SEMI-FINAL OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

And we need to calm down btw, take a step back and take in some perspective. Yes Auburn is a top 10, yes it's a back to back, yes we showed great poise in an absolute battle. But to be completely honest, I was more impressed with UNC's win over St. Francis (PA). Just being honest, we still have work to do.

And look at what unc did to Wofford and Elon. OFC

That Wiley guy was a monster too, actually made Zion sweat a little bit.

Huuuuuuuuge win under the circumstances. Yes, we didn't play our best game, didn't take care of the ball at times, missed FT's?? I'm sorry folks, but these are still Freshmen with a ton of pressure on them thanks to the media hype, and not to forget they just played the #8 team in the country, the defending SEC Champs and a favorite to win it again. Oh yeah, an experienced team with great guards, so geez, I guess we have a lot to work on (you mean this team could actually get better). Man, if this team can get better, kind of tells me that could be bad for the rest of the country! Sorry, but I am still really excited for the season that is yet to come.
Arizona or Gonzaga, doesn't matter, I just want to face the best team in the Championship, yes, I said the Championship!
Every game is not going to be won by 20 or 30, just not going to happen, so relax, be proud of this team, and enjoy them while they are here, it's going to be a very special year, and trust me, IT'S GONNA BE OK!
Go Duke!
OFC

Free throws need work for sure, we were brick city.
If only some wizened sage had been talking about this all season. Oh, if only such a gifted prophet existed.
For real though, Bolden's post game interview on ESPN was great. He talked about how Auburn was the best team we'd faced. Third degree burn on UK.

Huuuuuuuuge win under the circumstances. Yes, we didn't play our best game, didn't take care of the ball at times, missed FT's?? I'm sorry folks, but these are still Freshmen with a ton of pressure on them thanks to the media hype, and not to forget they just played the #8 team in the country, the defending SEC Champs and a favorite to win it again. Oh yeah, an experienced team with great guards, so geez, I guess we have a lot to work on (you mean this team could actually get better). Man, if this team can get better, kind of tells me that could be bad for the rest of the country! Sorry, but I am still really excited for the season that is yet to come.
Arizona or Gonzaga, doesn't matter, I just want to face the best team in the Championship, yes, I said the Championship!
Every game is not going to be won by 20 or 30, just not going to happen, so relax, be proud of this team, and enjoy them while they are here, it's going to be a very special year, and trust me, IT'S GONNA BE OK!
Go Duke!
OFC
Awesome post!

They definitely gave Coach K some ammo. Like the way they fought through the fatigue and the long bombs from Harper. Great resume win, and we get 3 more hours of rest than the team we play tomorrow. I think we answer well. Showed some inconsistency tonight similar to the Army game. Can't let a team like that get back in it. Too many sloppy plays down the stretch.

Overall, solid team win against a top 10 team and a good test for the freshmen. HERE'S TO MARQUES BOLDEN!! So cool to see him dominate and grinning ear to ear on the court.

Really good test for our team. A good gauge on where we stand against good talent.
Auburn is legit. As most everyone has already said, Bolden was a man, and Tre was really solid, 10 points, 6 assists and only 1 turnover against a team that plays crazy.
The only issue I had was the lack of bench in the 2nd half. Other than White, I don’t think any other reserve played. I would like to have seen Barrett take a little breather instead of playing 39 minutes and going 7-20.

Might be wrong, but if we play Gonzaga, I expect another battle. Few is really good, and has a great team.

Am I crazy or is Chase Jeter's shorts shorter on one side?

Not talking talent but importance. Bolden doesn’t hold a candle to Zoubs’ impact....yet. That could change this year.

Well yes our team won the national championship that year. But I think it’s a slight to Marques to make that comparison. He is an NBA talent. He gets covered up by a lot of talent this year but he’s an NBA talent.

Reactions: dukesince91
Lack of ball movement worries me with this team. That’s when auburn started catching up. There’s no reason to jack up so many 3s.

Reactions: SWEc/o95 and Neners
I'm going to put this out here right now. Duke will be better focused tomorrow with their all around play. But After watching this Gonzaga team for 2 nights in a row, they better come better than this.

Reactions: dukehokie
Don’t discount it could be Arizona. Chase better not bring it in against Marques, landlord?!?!

Not discounting Az, but listening to the talking heads, Gonzaga is a monster and I'm waiting to see what they are talking about. I say again, they play like this tomorrow, the way they have played so far in both games, they will be in serious trouble.
Dsf6G-7UwAAPj2G.jpg

When was the last time Duke played Gonzaga? Didn’t we win a title that year?

We had a test tonight, IMO we didn’t pass with flying colors, but we won. Love getting a win and still being able to learn from it. We did not move the ball well. And when we passed, they weren’t smart passes. We went into hero ball mode a lot and it just so happened the lead was large enough for us to win.

Next game, I’d love to see this team get back to the drive and kick that has made them so difficult to defend. Tonight, they were easy to defend.

Reactions: bfort2223
I agree, but if this was mid-season acc play, then I would be concerned. But for game 5, 4 freshman, going against a veteran team who won the SEC last year and a nice tournament run, I'll take it. I'm not sure we would of pulled this game out last year. Duke was up 17 and could of done more damage. The problem for college basketball is you have no idea where it's coming from with Duke. Truly off night by the freshman, but still with Bolden stepping up, they still held their composure and made big plays down the stretch.
Not one time did they trail in this game. Last year with all the talent, we were coming from behind at the beginning of the season with every quality team we saw. Like the Nike invitational Tournament. These boys are legit and will only get better.

I agree, but if this was mid-season acc play, then I would be concerned. But for game 5, 4 freshman, going against a veteran team who won the SEC last year and a nice tournament run, I'll take it. I'm not sure we would of pulled this game out last year. Duke was up 17 and could of done more damage. The problem for college basketball is you have no idea where it's coming from with Duke. Truly off night by the freshman, but still with Bolden stepping up, they still held their composure and made big plays down the stretch.
Not one time did they trail in this game. Last year with all the talent, we were coming from behind at the beginning of the season with every quality team we saw. Like the Nike invitational Tournament. These boys are legit and will only get better.

So true. And with all the flaws the team had last year, they were still a quarter inch away from being in the Final Four.

Talent can overcome a lot. It just so happens, this team is extremely cohesive as well. They’ll learn. Shots will get smarter, passes more precise, etc. This is team has nowhere to go but up. Tonight feels like a loss but it wasn’t. Next play.

Reactions: retiredsoldier
So true. And with all the flaws the team had last year, they were still a quarter inch away from being in the Final Four.

Talent can overcome a lot. It just so happens, this team is extremely cohesive as well. They’ll learn. Shots will get smarter, passes more precise, etc. This is team has nowhere to go but up. Tonight feels like a loss but it wasn’t. Next play.
Yes Sir, and I swear, Cam just seems to make a big play when it's needed to kill momentum. He is so sneaky smooth it should be against the law lol.

Reactions: dukehokie
AuburnAlumni , you seemed so reasonable, then I caught some of your childish crying over at Rupp...

“It also helps that they can punch us in the face, punch us in the kidneys, and stab us in the side with no whistle incoming.”

Seriously dude?

AuburnAlumni , you seemed so reasonable, then I caught some of your childish crying over at Rupp...

“It also helps that they can punch us in the face, punch us in the kidneys, and stab us in the side with no whistle incoming.”

Seriously dude?
I saw that show and was about to call him out on it. I'm still learning how to say what I want in a more decent way when I see what I call being here saying one thing, and running back to another board saying something else.

RJ Barrett does so many things well, but he is not a 3-point shooter and in that one area of the game, less might be more.

The close margin tonight does not bother me. Winning nailbiters builds character. It is better to have a few close calls during the regular season so that they know what adversity feels like and gain the confidence to win those kinds of games.

Loved watching Bolden last night. He still frustrates me a bit on offense when he puts the ball on the floor instead of trying going up strong off the pass/rebound. But, defensively, he was a game-changer.

I just got several good laughs. I was scrolling through Facebook and was reading through the comment section on several different posts about tonight’s game and I saw at least half a dozen people saying that Coach K needs to get rid of RJ because he’s a ball hog. I pointed out to several of them that coming into tonight’s game RJ is second on the team in assists with 4.8 apg.

Gonzaga struggled against a garbage Illinois squad. I’m not sure why you all are afraid. We always whip the zags. Duke by 30

I just got several good laughs. I was scrolling through Facebook and was reading through the comment section on several different posts about tonight’s game and I saw at least half a dozen people saying that Coach K needs to get rid of RJ because he’s a ball hog. I pointed out to several of them that coming into tonight’s game RJ is second on the team in assists with 4.8 apg.

4.8 assists, but all with a bad attitude. Teammates point at him after they score but he looks away, refusing to acknowledge them.

Reactions: DiehardDukeFan4Life
Sorry,I just don't see it,to me he looks as engaged as the rest of the guys,maybe he's just more intense and focused.I do hope this is not going to be an ongoing thing all season,people talking about his attitude.I doubt his teammates are worried about it at all

#justjokin

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT