ADVERTISEMENT

Duke Lacrosse 2018

Hey Wolfman, are you able to post a link to the tournament schedule? I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Stoked four our matchup against Hopkins on Sunday afternoon. Time for us to get back to Championship weekend where we belong.

Anyone see where Inside Lacrosse released their 1st Team All Americans? Guterding inexplicably didn't make the cut, even though he's a Tewaraaton Finalist. Insane. Only finalist who didn't make the first team. Not entirely sure how Jeff Teat is more deserving of first team honors.

I thought the defense disappeared in spurts, but that may have been a knee jerk reaction. Looked really good overall. Excited for the next game.

Reactions: Wolfman2610
I'm still bitter about the national title losses Hopkins handed us in 2005 and 2007. Those were two of my favorite teams Duke ever had, especially the 2005 squad. I hope our boys are having a strong week of practice and staying focused now that exams are over.

Reactions: skysdad and dbav
This is definitely a game where if we get a lead, we need to step on their necks and break their will.

As they showed last week, Hopkins is capable of coming back from large deficits. Hence, the foot must remain on the gas for all 60 minutes.

Wish game was on Long Island tomorrow, Hofstra is close to me.
Not to mention, Annapolis is essentially a home game for Hopkins. That said, I'm happy we're on the side of the bracket we're on. Would much rather have to go through Hopkins and Maryland to get to the finals, as opposed to Albany/Denver and Yale.

Reactions: skysdad
Not to mention, Annapolis is essentially a home game for Hopkins. That said, I'm happy we're on the side of the bracket we're on. Would much rather have to go through Hopkins and Maryland to get to the finals, as opposed to Albany/Denver and Yale.
Great win, Duke ! Looks like Maryland next weekend. Let's improve on the passing in our half of the field. Go Duke !!!

Stoked four our matchup against Hopkins on Sunday afternoon. Time for us to get back to Championship weekend where we belong.

Anyone see where Inside Lacrosse released their 1st Team All Americans? Guterding inexplicably didn't make the cut, even though he's a Tewaraaton Finalist. Insane. Only finalist who didn't make the first team. Not entirely sure how Jeff Teat is more deserving of first team honors.
All time NCAA goal scorer not on the team?:p
OFC

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
I know there is still plenty to be done this weekend....

But just to wet your proverbial beaks and get you excited for the future, I wanted to share the incredible performance put forth today by future Blue Devil, Andrew Bonafede.

A product of the same Chaminade High School program that gave us current cageminder, Danny Fowler, the Bayshore, NY resident was absolutely outstanding in leading the Flyers to a 12-5 victory over rival, St. Anthony's in the 2018 Intersectional/Downstate Catholic High School state finals.

A week removed from coming up huge in the 4th quarter of the Nassau/Suffolk Catholic League Championship game (a 14-13 Chaminade victory over the same opponent), Bonafede played what was perhaps the best scholastic game of his two-year varsity career on Friday evening, stopping 13 of 17 shots to hold St. Anthony's to their lowest output of the season (entered averaging just under 14 goals per game). In recognition of his off the charts effort, he was named the game's Most Outstanding Player.

Tonight's victory improved Chaminade's record to 16-3 (5 of which came over nationally ranked foes) on the year and should keep them firmly in the top-15 of all major polls (#9 by UnderArmour; #11 by US Lacrosse Magazine); the loss ends St. Anthony's (ranked 12th/14th) season at an still impressive 16-5.

Having won the NSCHSAA League and the CHSAA Intersectional crowns, there is only one feat remaining for Chaminade. On May 29th, they will go in search of the overall AA Catholic State title when they host St. Joseph's Collegiate Institute....While you never want to underestimate any opponent, it is worth noting that minus a massive upset, Bonafede will be a state titlists for the second straight year.

Note: Chaminade's top pole, Frank Marinello, who was injured a few days prior to the league finals and has been forced to miss the team's last three games, is also Durham bound this fall.

Last edited:
Reactions: dbav
The coming of age of Montgomery has been a major catalyst as to why we are playing our best lacrosse at the ideal time of the year.

Six goals during the first 16 games of the season; eight in the past three weeks.....He is giving us a preview of the kind of dominance we can expect during the next three years.

Bravo also to the poles for creating an abundance of turnovers....

My man, Danny Fowler, is finishing his career strong; 12 more saves/60 percent save percentage for the game! He is going to need to be just as locked on Monday when we play Reeves and the Bulldogs.

Speaking of Reeves, with the Yale senior sitting at 111 points this season, and Guterding on his heels with 110 points, I think it is fair to say that the Tewaaraton Award is officially a two-person race where the winner will be determined by which team is hoisting the National title.

Finally, please allow me one more proud alumnus moment this week. I know I shoved it down your throats a few days ago with my Ode to Bonafede above....

I am most certainly rooting for Duke on Monday, but with six (4 from Duke; 2 from Yale) combined student-athletes from the two sides having graduated from Chaminade, I have to admit that I am probably going to be smiling one way or the other....May the best Flyers prevail :)

Last edited:
Reactions: dbav
My heart breaks for the seniors, but I am proud of the effort the team gave. They fought to the last tick of the clock.

Yale just had a little more today than we did.

Their goalie played a much better game than I anticipated and those 2-3 robberies he had was enough to swing the game in their favor.

Looking forward to 2019, you can never replace a Justin Guterding. But, for the most part, we are still a young team with plenty of talent returning...

He was quiet today, but you know Montgomery is going to be a killer next season.... Robertson was nearly a 50-goal scorer as a freshman as the #2 option; imagine what he'll do next season with a year under his belt....Brad Smith, who finished on the team in total points is also back year, as is Joey Manown, Sean Lowrie, Reilly Walsh, and Kevin Quigley....Both members of our two-headed FOGO monster that won over 50% of draws return....Defensively, we lose a couple of veterans, but our top two, Van Raaphorst (1st team All-American) and Giles (3rd Team All-American) provide a strong nucleus.

Looking farther into the future, we are bringing in five of the top-100 2018 recruits per Recruiting Rundown/Ty Xanders....Leading this group is the #10 overall prospect, Wilson Stephenson (LSM/D), #13 Owen Caputo (Middie), and #21 Andrew Bonafede (Goaltender).

We are going to get back to championship weekend and when we do, all of the experience gathered today will be the intangible that propels us to title #4 in program history.

Solid start for the USA at the 2018 World Lacrosse Championships.

Guided by Coach "Dino", the Red, White, and Blue opened up pool play by fighting back from a 7-5 halftime deficit to defeat Iroquois Nationals, 17-9.

Blue Devil alumni, Matt Danowski, and Jordan Wolf, both recorded multiple point games with the latter finishing Thursday's contest with a two-goal, 1 assist performance and the latter going 2 +2.

Former Cornell standout, Rob Parnell, led all scorers with seven total points (3 goals, 4 assists)...John Hopkins graduate, Ryan Brown, was the top goal scorer with four....Marcus Holman (UNC; 2 and 2) and Tom Schreiber (Princeton; 2/2) tied Brown and Wolf for second on the team with four points each.

Recently graduated Denver FO legend, Trevor Baptiste, won 17 of his 19 draws; Greg Gurenlian went 5-for-10, to give the stars + stripes a combined 76% win percentage on face-offs.

USA returns to the field tomorrow morning against Australia....However, the big showtime will occur on Sunday when the United States faces defending World Champs, Canada.

Last edited:
Another strong performance by the Blue Devil alumni association in the U.S.A's 19-1 victory over Australia.

Following up a 2 goal, 2 assists performance on Thursday, Jordan Wolf was even better this morning, recording a hat trick and two more assists to raise his two-game total to nine points.

Matt Danowski did not find the back of the net himself today, but he did dish out three dimes to emerge with a second straight three-point outing.

Ned Crotty, who was kept off the stat sheet in the win over the Iroquois Nation earlier in the tournament, got on the board with his first goal of the tournament in Saturday's win.

Among Non-Duke graduates, Ryan Brown was again unstoppable sniper, adding three more goals today after a four-goal showing in the team's first game....Tom Schreiber and Marcus Holman, both of whom had two-goal games a few days ago, tacked on that extra bullet on Saturday to give the Red, White, and Blue a quartet of hat trick earners.

Paul Rabil, who many regard as the face of the sport in the U.S., shook off a modest display on Thursday to put up 1 goal and 3 assists today in Israel.

As they probably will do in every game of the tournament, the United States had their way in the face-off portion of the game, winning 16 of 23 draws....Trevor Baptiste went 9-for-12, complemented by the 7-for-11 put forth by Greg Gurenliang.

John Galloway, who concluded his collegiate career as the all-time wins leader in cage for Syracuse, was stellar, stopping 88% of shots on target (7 of 8).

My "homer" shout out goes to long-pole, Michael Ehrhardt (graduate of my high school), who led all players with six ground balls collected.

Another decent day for the Devil graduates, as Matt Danowski and Jordan Wolf combine to score three of Team USA's 11 goals in the exhilarating 11-10 victory over Canada in a battle of the tournament co-favorites.

Danowski posted his second two-goal performance of the World Championships, including a laser with just over 3:00 remaining in the fourth quarter that tied the game at 10-10.

Wolf scored his only goal of the game (6th of the tournament) early in the 1st quarter in the midst of the Red, White, and Blue building a 2-0 lead at the end of 20 minutes.

The sharp shooting of Ryan Brown has remained a consistent for the Stars + Stripes, as he logged a third consecutive hat trick (3 goals on 6 shots) to give him a team-high 10 for the event.

Rob Parnell (2 goals, 1 assist) was the only other multiple-goal scorer for the United States.

Paul Rabil, who may not be burying as many as he was expecting to through three games, picked a great time to play the hero, firing the game-winner with 1:06 left in regulation. He also added three assists to post a game-high four points.

John Galloway made eight saves, highlighted by a point-blank robbery (wit the U.S. trailing 10-9) that gave the U.S. possession and set up Danowski's tying goal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT