ADVERTISEMENT

Duke Lacrosse 2018

Thought I would start a thread for the new season. Off to a 2-0 start, with strong wins against Air Force and High Point. Really liking how well this young team is playing. Hopefully we make our return to Championship Weekend come May.

@ramlogistics any insider notes? Hope all is well with you and Cam!
It is with heavy heart that my son will stop playing Lax. For now....he has taken up AAU basketball. Regardless, we will still catch a few games at Koskinen. As always GO TO HELL CAROLINA!!! G TO HELL!!!

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
HUGE game this Friday against Denver. 5pm EST start on ESPNU. Set your DVRs and get ready for an entertaining game. I hope Coach Danowski has come up with an answer for Baptiste at the faceoff X.

Reactions: dbav and skysdad
If you are not watching Duke /Denver. Turn it on. Duke was down 4 at the start of the 4th. 9:37 left and they now hold a 13-12 lead.

That was a huge defense effort in the 4th quarter.....The boys really stepped up, pitching the shutout during the final 15 minutes.

I also think what last night proved is that if a high-scoring affair where FOGO is constantly being called upon, even a superhuman like Baptiste will wear down....He was not the same dominant force down the stretch.

#14 continues to be the best player in the nation....Much respect to Ethan Walker, but you can't spell Guterding without the "gut", and the senior from Garden City showed a lot of guts, scoring half of his points (1 goal, 2 assists) in the 4th, including notching the helper on the eventual game winner.

I'd like to see a higher save percentage out of Danny (who is still my man), but overall, I can live with 50 percent against a very good passing and shooting team like Denver. Fowler made some hustle players that don't show up on a stat sheet that proved his value.

Great team win! And the best news is that all of these young guys will continue to grow as the season goes on....If we look good now, imagine how we are going to look in May!!!

Reactions: smashmouth5
Loved what coach said going into the 4th. They're not stronger, faster, or better than you. Right now they just want it more. Looks like the message was received.

Tough loss last Saturday against Penn. Hopefully we rebound this weekend against a solid Richmond squad with a strong performance. Game starts at 1pm EST on ESPN3. Should be a nice appetizer before the game against UNC later on that night.

Devils knock off #6 Loyola, 13-9, this afternoon.

To the credit of the Greyhounds, they did something almost nobody has been able to do during the past two years; they kept Guterding under control, limiting him to just 1 goal and 1 assist.

However, they could not shut down all Duke weapons as Joe Robertson (3 goals), Peter Conley (4 goals, 2 assists), and Brad Smith (4 goals, 2 assists) were all aces.

This "w" does not completely remove the agony of having lost to UNC last night in hoops, but it goes a long way towards making the weekend decent as a whole.

Speaks of the Tart Heels, my alma mater, Hofstra, beat their butts in lax....I can't explain it, but for some reason, we own them.....This is like the third or fourth year in a row we defeated them.

Last edited:
Two more wins this past weekend. Was great to see us grind out a close one against Towson on Saturday. Strong defensive effort against Cleveland State yesterday.

Huge game coming up this weekend against Syracuse. I believe this one is on ESPNU, so set your DVRs.

I am not trying to be a jerk who complains whenever we lose.

However, on a day where we are honoring Jimmy Regan, I was shocked at how poorly and careless we seemed to play on both sides of the ball.

It is hard to really be too critical of the offense since even on an off day, they still managed to score 14 goals.

As far as defense, did we get in the way of a single damn shot all afternoon? It honestly looked every we were standing around letting Syracuse pelt Danny with whatever the hell they felt like doing.

He did not make the big save down the stretch that as a Chaminade alum (again on Regan Day), I would expect him to make (high standard), but I thought after a shaky start, there were parts of that 4th quarter that he was bailing us out while our "D" looked lost.

Just not the effort or the execution that I was anticipating with "Regan" on your backs. We are still a national title contender; just today we did not play like it.

Reactions: germantondevil
Big game coming up in a couple of hours against UNC at home. Broadcast on ESPNU. Make sure to check it out or set your DVRs. Hope we can get back on track after a very disappointing loss to Syracuse last Saturday.

Very big win over a rival...

I think we knew that Guterding was special, so nothing he does surprises anymore.

However, the emergence of Brad Smith as one of the top combo attack/middies has been invaluable....He is well on his way toward shattering his previous career totals.

The freshman, Stein, has been solid at FOGO as well.

Reactions: dbav
Finally got around to watching the game on tape...

I echo Willcampbell's sentiments....Tremendous effort on "D", but we have to expect more of a fight if we see them at full strength in the ACC Tournament.

Reactions: Willcampbell
Explosive game on offense this past Saturday, as the Devils put up 18 in an 18-13 victory on the road over UVA.

Three different Dukies scored at least a hat trick, with Guterding being his usual magical self with four goal and five assists....Peter Conley was sniping in the 1st half, scoring all three of his goals during the first 30 minutes of play....Joe Robertson continued the climb toward the 30-goal mark, shooting 3-for-4.

Joey Manown (who may have been cheated out of a goal in the 1st quarter), Kevin Quigley, and Brian Smyth (won the FO to himself and took it home both times) all finished with two goals apiece.

Smyth (8-for-14) and Joe Stein (13-for-21) combined to win 60 percent of face-offs.

Danny Fowler was not his best in cage (10 saves), but did perform better in the second half (50% save percentage during the last two quarters) to pick up his 11th win of the season....

Danowski's boys will close out the regular season this coming Friday when they host Marquette (6-5).

Duke has clinched the #2 seed in the ACC tournament, but their semifinal opponent will not be officially determined until Notre Dame/UNC wrap up conference play on April 21st....If UNC wins, it would create a three-way tie among them, Notre Dame, and UVA at 1-3 in Atlantic Coast action....If Notre Dame wins, they will oppose the Devils in the 2 vs. 3 contest.

Last edited:
Coming over from the Kentucky board, but here as someone who works at Loyola. Didn't expect to see a lacrosse thread here. Good stuff!
We've got few diehard followers of the program, as you can see. While I can't speak for everyone else in this thread, I always welcome thoughts/opinions/questions from supporters of other programs. Feel free to chime in. The Greyhounds are certainly having another nice season.

Much respect to Loyola. My older sister attended her freshman year before deciding that she preferred to be a little closer to home.

Also, as a Chaminade graduate, I have a deep respect for the opinion of former Greyhound assistant/current UMBC Head Coach, Ryan Moran. He always spoke well of his time on staff.

Thanks guys. I worked in the Athletic Department at Penn for 6 years in the mid 2000's too, so have been around some lacrosse. I'm not a diehard, but have been at Loyola for a couple of years now and really starting to follow the sport.

Duke cruises in the regular season finale, 17-5, over Marquette.

I was really happy with Danny's performance in cage. With his mother having flown in earlier in the day from New York, he stopped 10 of the 14 shots he faced...As he approaches the finish line of his collegiate career, this is precisely how zoned in I want to see him be in the ACC and NCAA Tournaments.

Guterding raises his season total to 85 points behind a six goal, two assist effort. He needs just one more goal to reach the 50 plateau for the third time in his career....His 323 career points puts him just 30 behind Duke Legend/current staff member, Matt Danowski.....Should his 6+ ppg hold up, with a deep run in the postseason, the Garden City native should pass his mentor for the all-time school record....In addition, per Duke's game summary, Guterding sits at 195 career goals and should easily become just the second person in NCAA DI history (former Dukie/Bryant student-athlete, Zack Greer, being the first) to reach 200 career tallies...With Greer owning the record at 206, it remains feasible that good old #14 could put himself atop that mountain as well before the end of May.

Brad Smith (2 goals, 3 assists) and fab frosh, Joe Robertson (4 +1) both had five point games to conclude the regular season with 46 (23/23) and 41 (32/8) points respectively.

Leading just 5-3 at the break, Duke completely dominated the final 30 minutes of play, our-scoring the Golden Eagles, 12-2....Shining a lot on some guys who do not get a lot of press, the 17th and final strike of the game came courtesy of sophomore Ryan Hastings on a feed from senior David Gill....The goal was the first of the season for Hastings and just his third overall during his two years in Durham....Gill's assist was his second point of the season and his fourth career point.

Now the real season begins!!!!

Last edited:
Congratulations to our five honorees!!!!

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=211713273

I also need to own up to a mistake....Last week I had a major brain fart and posted that we were playing UNC in the ACC semis.

In truth, because the Tar Heels won, that created the three way tie at 1-3 and after working through all of the different criteria, it is actually Notre Dame that we will face for the berth in the conference finals.

Reactions: skysdad
Disappointed in what I watched in the ACC semis.

Our defense looked atrocious and lazy......Every damn shot was 3 inches from Fowler's nose.

The team as a whole looked soft and heartless (with the exception of Walsh)....Did we scoop a single key ground ball?

Forget winning a national title; if we play like that in the NCAA tournament, we're golfing by the first weekend.

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
Up 10/9 Duke had a chance to go up 2 goals but rushed the shots.
No one could stay with the kid w long hair that scored 5 goals.
Guess Coach should have switched to zone like b-ball team.

It does not completely erase the disappointment....But, having watched them play again today, I will admit that no one looked like they were going to beat Notre Dame this weekend.

They played like a wounded animal and were on a mission.....Once again, they owned the key ground balls.

I like our draw.....

I wanted to avoid Denver (who always gives us problems, even when we win), Notre Dame (the hottest team in the country), and Albany (Best FOGO in the nation, plus a lethal 1-2 punch of Fields and Nanticoke).

the ESPN commentators pretty much stated that Villanova was the least deserving team to make the tournament and are 2-3 in their last five.

Cornell, who despite going on the road, I think will beat Syracuse, scares me a bit after yesterday's Ivy title game. However, I just don't see how it is possible for their goalie to play as well the rest of the season as he did this past weekend.

Obviously having the #1 seed/defending champions on your side of the bracket is not great. But, I'll deal with Maryland when I have to.

Reactions: dbav and DukeDenver
ADVERTISEMENT