ADVERTISEMENT

Duke, Kentucky lead the race for top 2019 class

Vernon Carey and Bryan Antoine. Want them the most. Sounds like we will have Antoine. Just hope we get Carey.

Looks like we will be losing the entire starting 5 again if we play the way we should play and make a deep run. So that means 6 open scholarships with Vrank being a senior. With that being said I hope we get Cole Anthony, Vernon Carey, Brian Antoine, Isaiah Stewart, Wendell Moore and Joe Girard (multi-year guy). Now that's a hell of a lineup. If the Hampton kid reclassify then Brian Antoine can go elsewhere

Vrank is a Senior this year right? I would rather have Scottie Lewis but that ship has sailed along time ago. Gimme Hampton over Antoine, Hampton can create for himself and others.

As a cat fan,very sick of oad, new lineup every season gets old. Now duke is just like us now .

As a cat fan,very sick of oad, new lineup every season gets old. Now duke is just like us now .
Probably because Uk’s OAD’s have sucked lately because you’re getting the leftovers.

There's an awful lot of speculation in this article.

I’d say more than a lot.

But, Duke and UK have ruled the recruiting game for so long that it’s probanly not far off, either.

Antoine seems like a lock right now. We seem to be favored for Carey, too. Hopefully Girard pops soon. For some reason, I do think Wendell Moore pops for Duke, as well. I’m not sure he’s OAD, but rumors have it that’s what he seems to favor.

Reactions: christophero
Girard is all i care about

He's a great kid and can shoot the ball very well! I like the fact he'll be a 4 year player and has leadership skills. However, I hope this doesn't turn into a Paulus like situation. Hopefully, K and company will continue to recruit top flight PGs. I'm hoping Josiah James commits to Duke, he has great size and loves to pass the ball.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I’d say more than a lot.

But, Duke and UK have ruled the recruiting game for so long that it’s probanly not far off, either.

Antoine seems like a lock right now. We seem to be favored for Carey, too. Hopefully Girard pops soon. For some reason, I do think Wendell Moore pops for Duke, as well. I’m not sure he’s OAD, but rumors have it that’s what he seems to favor.

Agree on all the above and think Stewart is pretty locked in as well. I don’t get the decision to move towards James at PG over Anthony, Lecque, or even Hampton as an early enrollee.

Josiah James is a 6'6 PG. He has all the tools to be a great floor leader. Coached against him last year at the CP3 AAU event. He was teamed up with the SF going to Vanderbilt Aaron Nesmith. Being from South Carolina I think Duke has a great advantage with him wanting to play in the ACC.

Josiah
Antoine
Moore
Stewart
Carey
Are the top targets girard idk think his other offers are telling him he can play as a freshmen. At duke he's not playing as a freshmen.
Rj hampton said he will not decide on reclassifing till April or may of 2019. I think he will stay put if they allow 2020 class to go straight to the nba. Also think tre jones will be a sophomore at duke.
The 2020 season roster I think will look like.

Pg. Jones/goldwire
Sg. Antoine/aoc
Sf. Josiah/moore/baker
Pf. Stewart/white/jrob
C. Carey/javin

Cole Anthony is High on Duke. Josiah will play as a Guard in the Duke system if he decides. I feel he will pull the trigger first to get the 2019 class started.

Austin Rives was amazing player at Duke. The talent that surrounded him wasn't as elite as recent teams. Cole is dynamic scorer and play maker that would fit well

Reactions: timo0402
I remember seth curry saying we all like each other the year after rivers left.
Something about Rivers I never liked. I didn't like the way he carried himself on the court at Duke. Some say if not for him, we wouldn't have been as good. I don't think he knows how to be a leader. Some can, and some can be a good leader without saying anything. I've always thought he has that "me" look about him. Just because a kid is talented doesn't mean the team will be better because of that kid. Rivers to me fits that.

Something about Rivers I never liked. I didn't like the way he carried himself on the court at Duke. Some say if not for him, we wouldn't have been as good. I don't think he knows how to be a leader. Some can, and some can be a good leader without saying anything. I've always thought he has that "me" look about him. Just because a kid is talented doesn't mean the team will be better because of that kid. Rivers to me fits that.

Rivers was the first team I thought the sum of the parts was greater than the whole. The first time I thought we might be better without our best player. Addition by subtraction. I was at the Duke v UNC game at Cameron that year (we lost), and had a chance to hang out with the team after the game (off campus). All of the players seemed so close and tight with each other. Guess which player wasn't part of that group.

I know the thought of this is blasphemy, especially with how this idea was brought up with our best player this year (which I could see their points, but disagreed with). I'll likely get flamed for this, but it really stuck out to me with that Rivers team.

The 2012 team was our least talented since....2007?? Maybe 2008 that's a close debate.

I loved when we landed Austin, came right after Kyrie, helped pave the way for our current recruiting success. But yes....it was obvious on the court (and also apparently off the court) that he was all about Austin. I still rooted for him, he was a Dukie after all.
I dislike him a lot more in the NBA though, but that's mainly because he gives off the "spoiled brat" image. It's funny because when he came to Duke, he was all about scoring, but his niche' in the NBA is actually a versatile aggressive defender.

We would have been much worse in 2012 (under .500 in ACC would be my bet) without Austin, plus Austin hit the shot against UNC. I just wish he didn't seem so arrogant on the court, and I love showboating too.

Reactions: sgrooms
The 2012 team was our least talented since....2007?? Maybe 2008 that's a close debate.

I loved when we landed Austin, came right after Kyrie, helped pave the way for our current recruiting success. But yes....it was obvious on the court (and also apparently off the court) that he was all about Austin. I still rooted for him, he was a Dukie after all.
I dislike him a lot more in the NBA though, but that's mainly because he gives off the "spoiled brat" image. It's funny because when he came to Duke, he was all about scoring, but his niche' in the NBA is actually a versatile aggressive defender.

We would have been much worse in 2012 (under .500 in ACC would be my bet) without Austin, plus Austin hit the shot against UNC. I just wish he didn't seem so arrogant on the court, and I love showboating too.

Agree with most of your points. I'm not a fan of showboating, though, so that probably has a lot to do with how I feel. Man I loved that shot against UNC.

On the surface we would have been worse without Rivers that year, but I always wonder what Mason would have been able to do if he was our go to player. After his freshman year, I thought he could have had ACC POY potential by his senior year.

I remember vividly the Lehigh game where both Curry and Rivers would look at Plumlee in the post, and then ignore him and make their own move. Plumlee's shoulders would sag. Plumlee was 8 for 8 in that game I think. It's absurd he only got 8 shots. I think Rivers brought out the worst in Curry that year.

Reactions: sgrooms
Agree with most of your points. I'm not a fan of showboating, though, so that probably has a lot to do with how I feel. Man I loved that shot against UNC.

On the surface we would have been worse without Rivers that year, but I always wonder what Mason would have been able to do if he was our go to player. After his freshman year, I thought he could have had ACC POY potential by his senior year.
I'm probably going to catch it for saying this, but I think on a different way than Rivers, our team this season may have been better without Bagley.
The first thing people disagreeing will say is his scoring and rebound average. True, and he seemed like a good kid, not the way I think of Rivers.
I go back to the 5 or 6 games we played without him. Undefeated. Look at Grayson's play in those games. Our ball movement was so much better, and our defense was a little better. More guys would have contributed in different ways. Carter and Bolden would have been even better than they were, and I realize individually, Bagley is better, but I think the rest of the team would have all been a little better, offsetting his numbers. Also I think Duval could have been more of the point guard that Duke recruited him to be, but he couldn't cause our spacing was bad, and the lane was clogged.
I wish we could have had Bagley in another season. A really special player.

I'm probably going to catch it for saying this, but I think on a different way than Rivers, our team this season may have been better without Bagley.
The first thing people disagreeing will say is his scoring and rebound average. True, and he seemed like a good kid, not the way I think of Rivers.
I go back to the 5 or 6 games we played without him. Undefeated. Look at Grayson's play in those games. Our ball movement was so much better, and our defense was a little better. More guys would have contributed in different ways. Carter and Bolden would have been even better than they were, and I realize individually, Bagley is better, but I think the rest of the team would have all been a little better, offsetting his numbers. Also I think Duval could have been more of the point guard that Duke recruited him to be, but he couldn't cause our spacing was bad, and the lane was clogged.
I wish we could have had Bagley in another season. A really special player.
Here we go....................

We would have lost the Syracuse Sweet 16 game without Bagley on the court, we shot terrible.
We would not have been nearly as good without Bagley. And the discussion/argument is redundant and we have been over this before.

Here we go....................

We would have lost the Syracuse Sweet 16 game without Bagley on the court, we shot terrible.
We would not have been nearly as good without Bagley. And the discussion/argument is redundant and we have been over this before.
You have your opinion, I have mine. Personally, I use the 5-6 game sample and also while out, the team looked more like a traditional K team. We agree to disagree.

You have your opinion, I have mine. Personally, I use the 5-6 game sample and also while out, the team looked more like a traditional K team. We agree to disagree.
Sure. But still, hard to win the title when you lose in the sweet 16 lol.

You'll definitely catch some heat for that, but I have no argument against it. I saw everything you saw in his absence. As long as we're not putting down a player, I think it's fair to say that player's traits had some overlaps with others and sometimes it's better to address deficiencies than to create more overlap with the lineup. We also have to realize that we'll never know the answer on this issue, and it's not worth getting into heated debates about. Let's just leave it at mild discussions.

I was going to give examples that it's not just Marvin, but that you could have rotated out almost any player and put in traits that were missing from the remaining four, and we could have possibly been better. But the post was eight paragraphs and it reminded me of a certain thr poster.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT